Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

On the plus side, even if Ernie Hudson is on board, there's no fuckin' way anyone's going to get behind a Ghostbusters film without Egon or Venkman, and Bill Murray, by the sounds of things, wouldn't even condescend to wipe his rear end with a Ghostbusters 3 script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
We'll see a reboot in 2-3 years.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Why do people even want a Ghostbusters 3? There's no way it would be even close to the first two in quality and we would only end up disappointed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Len posted:

Why do people even want a Ghostbusters 3? There's no way it would be even close to the first two in quality and we would only end up disappointed.

I've been wondering that myself for years. There are people who really want it and would always tell me I was dumb because I didn't want one. It would be like a Wayne's World 3.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Len posted:

They blocked out 2?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Len posted:

MIB3 was pretty good especially in light of the second one.

The ghostbusters video game is basically all the sequel you need though.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Len posted:

Anyone who wants Ghostbusters 3 should be made to watch Blues Brothers 2000.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Peanut President posted:

Anyone who wants Ghostbusters 3 should be made to watch Blues Brothers 2000.

I am pretty sure forcing anyone to watch Blues Brothers 2000 can be considered a crime against humanity.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Len posted:

Everyone wants sequels to everything they like. Our opinions must be backed up by massive media franshization. The larger the franchise the more correct our adulation of the individual elements is, and our enjoyment of it is more justified. Give me more of exactly what I liked but different. I need to consume it all until it bores me and I move on to the next one.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nobody really wanted a Ghostbusters 3 other than Ramis and Ackroyd.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

People hear the "franchise rights" line and think "Sequel potential! Expanded universe!" but Venkman was wrong. Without Shandor's building, the world of the Ghosbusters movie is just like ours: ghosts and goblins are so insubstantial and inconsequential that they're just myth. Campfire stories. Seattle and Orlando wouldn't have any ghosts to bust without a huge, superconducting antenna built for that exact purpose by an insane apocalyptic cult leader. Even when they relented and did a sequel, they clearly showed that it was five years between events. Not much to run a business on.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lobok posted:

People hear the "franchise rights" line and think "Sequel potential! Expanded universe!" but Venkman was wrong. Without Shandor's building, the world of the Ghosbusters movie is just like ours: ghosts and goblins are so insubstantial and inconsequential that they're just myth. Campfire stories. Seattle and Orlando wouldn't have any ghosts to bust without a huge, superconducting antenna built for that exact purpose by an insane apocalyptic cult leader. Even when they relented and did a sequel, they clearly showed that it was five years between events. Not much to run a business on.

I keep coming up with ideas on what I would actually want to see out of a Ghostbusters 3, but each of them would no doubt lead to more terrible sequels.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
We have a new Ghostbusters franchise, it's called Insidious.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Young Freud posted:

Wes Anderson remakes Event Horizon. Instead of the transmission being filled with rape, torture, and mutilation of the self and others, the Event Horizon crew quirky adventured themselves to death.
Hey that means we can see Jeff Goldblum and Sam Neill in the same screen together than by all means :getin:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Iron Crowned posted:

I keep coming up with ideas on what I would actually want to see out of a Ghostbusters 3, but each of them would no doubt lead to more terrible sequels.

The props and the car would all be heavily redesigned, the original cast would be hardly in it if at all, the look of the movie would be completely different and jarring, New York itself is a different city, there'll be so many cheeky references and callbacks, and just blechhh... no thanks. If I want 800 more hours of Ghostbusters then I'll watch the Real Ghostbusters cartoon.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lobok posted:

The props and the car would all be heavily redesigned, the original cast would be hardly in it if at all, the look of the movie would be completely different and jarring, New York itself is a different city, there'll be so many cheeky references and callbacks, and just blechhh... no thanks. If I want 800 more hours of Ghostbusters then I'll watch the Real Ghostbusters cartoon.

The new movie would have to have one of the new generation Ghostbusters in a wheelchair.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bobkatt013 posted:

The new movie would have to have one of the new generation Ghostbusters in a wheelchair.

Low-floor Ecto-1.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lobok posted:

Yeah, the idea I kept coming back to was that they had to come out of retirement again for some reason, but they would be too old for it because well they're old, but they're the only ones that can do it. Sadly because they're too old they'd have to rely on their children or some other poo poo.

Yeah, I'll stick with the Real Ghostbusters.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

There's already a Ghostbusters 3, but it's a video game.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

bobkatt013 posted:

I hope you know this already exists. Extreme Ghostbusters was a real thing.

Incidently, don't GIS that show with safe surf off.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I hope you know this already exists. Extreme Ghostbusters was a real thing.

Incidently, don't GIS that show with safe surf off.

I did this last night because of the 90s EXTREME cartoons thread in GBS.

Janine's got some big old titties thanks to fanart.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FishBulb posted:

Everyone wants sequels to everything they like. Our opinions must be backed up by massive media franshization. The larger the franchise the more correct our adulation of the individual elements is, and our enjoyment of it is more justified. Give me more of exactly what I liked but different. I need to consume it all until it bores me and I move on to the next one.

In the Godzilla thread, I've seen more people say "I hope this makes money" than "I hope this is a good movie."

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

morestuff posted:

In the Godzilla thread, I've seen more people say "I hope this makes money" than "I hope this is a good movie."

Of course, if it doesn't make money we'll only get one film instead of a universe to immerse ourselves in, action figures to buy, 4 versions of the blu ray, a theme park ride and respect of other movie viewer who know we invested our movie watching time wisely.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FishBulb posted:

Of course, if it doesn't make money we'll only get one film instead of a universe to immerse ourselves in, action figures to buy, 4 versions of the blu ray, a theme park ride and respect of other movie viewer who know we invested our movie watching time wisely.

It also means we will never get new Godzilla v Gamera. Also Godzilla dropkick.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Young Freud posted:

Big ol' titties and sometimes a very pregnant belly. I didn't scroll down too far, so I don't know what depths there truly are, but if those were some of the first two screens without any sex-related descriptors in the search, well, I don't imagine it'll get any better further in.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

morestuff posted:

To be fair, even in Japan, the longevity of the franchise wasn't predicated on the quality of the plot. Just look at Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah for example.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
Finite stories make people uncomfortable, because they don't want to be reminded that they're living in one.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Ghostbusters sequels don't work because there are massive consequences to the ending of part 1, which the official sequel understandably shied away from with its 'Ghostbusters go to jail' quick-fix reset.

The basic story of Ghostbusters is a bunch of hacker nerds with near-useless college degrees establishing a tech startup in strict defiance of 'dickless' bureaucrats and the effeminate old-money rich. In that sense, Ghostbusters has a sequel in The Social Network.

Their effort to 'clean up the city' is really a byproduct of their desire to exploit an untapped market. The ghosts are not a pressing concern; they're just a combination of vermin and homeless-person imagery. It's arguable, but in my opinion unlikely, that they'll ever learn their lesson and realize that the ghosts were caused by something - that simply eliminating the homeless won't fix the world. In that sense, Ghostbusters has a sequel in Pacific Rim and World War Z.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nobody really wanted a Ghostbusters 3 other than Ramis and Ackroyd.

Yeah, Aykroyd is the one who really wanted a Ghostbusters 3 and keeps flogging the "any day now" despite Murray wanting nothing to do with it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

morestuff posted:

That's because I'm fairly certain it will be a good movie. I'm less certain that people will go see it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Yoshifan823 posted:

That's because I'm fairly certain it will be a good movie. I'm less certain that people will go see it.

Does it matter if people see it?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Len posted:

Because people on the internet want their favorite series to have sequels ad infinitum when they aren't busy complaining about how the only movies that get made these days are franchises.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

Because people on the internet want their favorite series to have sequels ad infinitum when they aren't busy complaining about how the only movies that get made these days are franchises.

Much like a Kia made up to look like the Ecto-1 or an obese man wearing a Ghostbusters jumpsuit in the cafeteria of your community college, even the flimsiest attempt at recapturing the magic of childhood is better than the alternative.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

We have a new Ghostbusters franchise, it's called Insidious.

No, it's called Ghostfacers.

All this ghostbusterchat reminded me that this piece of poo poo existed too.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

morestuff posted:

Does it matter if people see it?

Yeah, because generally if a movie is successful, more movies like it will be made. There's a reason you don't see Taylor Kitsch in many movies these days, and it's not got anything to do with the quality of the movies he's in or his talent.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I would rather Godzilla be good than make money but I don't have faith it will do either

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ghostbusters sequels don't work because there are massive consequences to the ending of part 1, which the official sequel understandably shied away from with its 'Ghostbusters go to jail' quick-fix reset.

The basic story of Ghostbusters is a bunch of hacker nerds with near-useless college degrees establishing a tech startup in strict defiance of 'dickless' bureaucrats and the effeminate old-money rich. In that sense, Ghostbusters has a sequel in The Social Network.

Their effort to 'clean up the city' is really a byproduct of their desire to exploit an untapped market. The ghosts are not a pressing concern; they're just a combination of vermin and homeless-person imagery. It's arguable, but in my opinion unlikely, that they'll ever learn their lesson and realize that the ghosts were caused by something - that simply eliminating the homeless won't fix the world. In that sense, Ghostbusters has a sequel in Pacific Rim and World War Z.

This is one the most on point analyses you've done, really, and I'm someone who thinks a lot of your posts are on point.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
I mean, Dan Aykroyd is a committed libertarian, people always talk about realizing how conservative Ghostbusters is when rewatching it as an adult.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Young Freud posted:

I also found fan art of Janine transforming into a were-chicken, but then I realised that was The Real Ghostbusters fan art instead.

About Extreme Ghosbusters, this episode is probably the most memorable for me since it was pretty much Hellraiser in animated form. Just watch the intro sequence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEiGIQVLrzY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The MSJ posted:

I also found fan art of Janine transforming into a were-chicken, but then I realised that was The Real Ghostbusters fan art instead.

About Extreme Ghosbusters, this episode is probably the most memorable for me since it was pretty much Hellraiser in animated form. Just watch the intro sequence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEiGIQVLrzY

It's not just that but the whole plot is essentially In The Mouths Of Madness: a horror writer manages to summon up his own creations which enslave him and others in their thrall.

Edit: Also, I came across not fanart but concept art from the character designer of Extreme Ghostbusters (he actually did a lot of work, like the creature and mech designs for the Starship Troopers Roughnecks show). Egon was supposed to become some sort of ambassador to the ghost world and would make his return to lead the next generation of ghostbusters.

So, I guess that happened in real life. :smith:

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 25, 2014

• Locked thread