Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Chase?
This poll is closed.
Augh 46 32.39%
gently caress 96 67.61%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

front wing flexing posted:

No, I get that. But if I was a company I would still want a better spokesperson for my brand.

And going by the numbers, he is a solid bet but if advertisers were race fans they would invest their money much more efficiently.

Going back to this. Remember that it isn't just spokesperson skills these drivers are taken for. There is also team merchandise. IIRC, the sponsors get all the money from those sales. I wouldn't be surprised if godaddy helped steer her to NASCAR just to devour on the female driver thing for merchandise sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You flip it on, and you flip it off.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Uncle Jam posted:

Wonder if that's the awful awful Cosworth engine, they're pretty loose with the specs. But I can't really comment on any of that since I'm not an engine person. I do know there are steel alloys every bit as exotic as titanium. I do think the worst part about stagnant engine rulesets is ending up with so few suppliers sucks.

Long story short, the rotating parts in each engine travel at similar speeds and generate similar forces. It's the old Days of Thunder thing, you got parts that are twice as big and spin half as fast in NASCAR, they spin twice as fast and are half the size in F1. What he's trying to illustrate is a NASCAR V-8 running at 10,000rpm is very similar in the internal forces generated to an F1 engine buzzing to close to 20,000. That's impressive in its own right, but when you factor in that NASCAR engines are mandated to use certain lower tech materials and F1 isn't, the NASCAR engine builders reveal themselves to be wizards.

The funny thing is the cylinder bores (the circumference of the piston for those that don't know) in each engine are kind of similar, 3.858 inches in F1 versus 4.185 in Cup. The stroke (up and down travel of a piston) is where they diverge. F1 has a ridiculously short stroke, at 1.566 inches, Cup stroke is 3.250. Pistons in F1 weigh 220 grams, in Cup they weigh 400. So Cup engines are throwing a similar size piston that's twice as heavy as an F1 piston, near twice as far, and the measured speed of the piston in the cylinder is actually higher than an F1 piston.

When you really dive in and look at how Cup cars are engineered, it's astounding how absolutely wrong stereotypes about dumb shine running rednecks is. Chad Knaus is every bit the genius that Newey is, it's just genius that's taken a different form.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 25, 2014

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

And it's a shame those geniuses are engaged in something so supremely pointless.

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:

Dudley posted:

And it's a shame those geniuses are engaged in something so supremely pointless.

Nascar crew and shop work probably keeps some of the craftiest, hardest working low down dirty deceivers, pointed towards committing crimes against the France empire rather than the public at large. I cannot be more thankful that those people are kept of the street. For how much time the must devote to secret plotting and rubbing finger prints off things, should Nascar ever shut down the entire south east is going to be hosed for a few years.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

VikingSkull posted:

Long story short, the rotating parts in each engine travel at similar speeds and generate similar forces. It's the old Days of Thunder thing, you got parts that are twice as big and spin half as fast in NASCAR, they spin twice as fast and are half the size in F1. What he's trying to illustrate is a NASCAR V-8 running at 10,000rpm is very similar in the internal forces generated to an F1 engine buzzing to close to 20,000. That's impressive in its own right, but when you factor in that NASCAR engines are mandated to use certain lower tech materials and F1 isn't, the NASCAR engine builders reveal themselves to be wizards.

The funny thing is the cylinder bores (the circumference of the piston for those that don't know) in each engine are kind of similar, 3.858 inches in F1 versus 4.185 in Cup. The stroke (up and down travel of a piston) is where they diverge. F1 has a ridiculously short stroke, at 1.566 inches, Cup stroke is 3.250. Pistons in F1 weigh 220 grams, in Cup they weigh 400. So Cup engines are throwing a similar size piston that's twice as heavy as an F1 piston, near twice as far, and the measured speed of the piston in the cylinder is actually higher than an F1 piston.

When you really dive in and look at how Cup cars are engineered, it's astounding how absolutely wrong stereotypes about dumb shine running rednecks is. Chad Knaus is every bit the genius that Newey is, it's just genius that's taken a different form.

I know what he's trying to get at but I don't know enough to really determine if its valid. He's doing a lot of normalization using other parts of the engine, which can be like deriving Bible Codes: you just keep going until you have a favorable comparison. Plus he's only deriving forces on a piston, I feel like there are other gotchas like heat management. Cup cars spend almost all their time at top end, the incoming air they get is something F1 teams can only dream of.

And really, 350M (!!!) is ANYTHING but low tech material. Seriously, that's my original argument (not comparing to F1 or anything), they use this kind of material, yet NASCAR throws down some dumb minimum weight rule for the connecting rod so its way over engineered to be like they're using some steel from the late 60s. Why doesn't a NASCAR official go to the mill and just spray impurities into everything instead? It'd be no less artificial.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

VikingSkull posted:

I've said since I first got into this sport that some of the best, craftiest engineers in the US over the past 20 years have been in NASCAR. The things they do with the level of technology they're allowed is nothing short of amazing, and with just a few simple rule tweaks (roller cams, stronger rocker girdles etc.) they could easily be making much, much more power, and for longer. Given some of the conversations I've had with motor guys, the general belief is that 1000+HP for full race weekend duty would easily achievable with simple things like better valvetrain components and a redesigned intake.

That said I've wondered at some of the things they keep around for tradition's sake that, in all reality, could be improved upon to create better racing. The rear suspension setup we’re forced to use comes to mind. Truck arms? Really? The things that were outdated in passenger cars in the 60’s? I'm all for keeping the live axle but a simple 3-link suspension upgrade would open up so many more avenues for controlling the rear, which translates into better mechanical grip/more options for the teams to help the cars/trucks turn. That’d be a win-win.

NASCAR should be looking into methods for improving mechanical grip to help balance against the ravages of aerodynamics, and updating the rulebook to do away with some of the more ancient suspension designs that we have to run would be a big start. It’s still really cool what these teams are able to get out of a truckarm/live axle setup, but the world moved on for a reason.

Also to answer your question I keep my radio hooked to the side of my box (the box itself I reserve for gum and sunglasses) with a standard PTT button mounted to the wheel. I’ll occasionally play with the volume under caution or switch it to channel 2 if we’re having interference problems, but beyond that it’s pretty much just along for the ride

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Allowing for more modern mechanical grip solutions would fix a lot of the "racing" issues people complain about.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Firestone alone could make them tires that werent dogshit and had good grip, let them get rid of the aero dependency, and save 50 racecars a year from random explosions that put them in the wall.

Hell yeah, found a way to make this about how much Goodyear sucks did i mention Goodyear sucks? They suck.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

VikingSkull posted:

This is the last place team in F1, they have never scored a single point.
https://twitter.com/CaterhamF1 check the pics
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152370757578465.1073741932.292309963464&type=1

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Maybe if they spent less money on color matching desks and waxing their floor, they could get into the points. I mean, they spend less per year than Hendrick does in that redneck NASCAR series, so yeah.

Also, wicka rule.

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:

front wing flexing posted:

This is the last place team in F1, they have never scored a single point.

Jesus.

They probably have a CSO, Chief Stenciling Officer on the payroll as well.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Caterham are a poo poo team.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Cygni posted:

Firestone alone could make them tires that werent dogshit and had good grip, let them get rid of the aero dependency, and save 50 racecars a year from random explosions that put them in the wall.

Hell yeah, found a way to make this about how much Goodyear sucks did i mention Goodyear sucks? They suck.

Goodyear should be a tire supplier for F1 and we should get Pirelli or whatever.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Why do they keep making the tires harder and harder? That's just murdering the grip, and making it so they don't ever wear (because they aren't gripping at all).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Slickdrac posted:

Why do they keep making the tires harder and harder? That's just murdering the grip, and making it so they don't ever wear (because they aren't gripping at all).

It's because the people who run NASCAR are mentally ill.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
That's a given. But what batshit justification do they even try and give for it? I've not heard much of the lunacy they've said about the tires.

Also, I wonder how much slower the speeds would be if you slapped these tires onto a cup car from the 90s compared to what they ran on those tires.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

Jesus.

They probably have a CSO, Chief Stenciling Officer on the payroll as well.

Corporate accounts payable, Nina speaking... JUST a moment.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Slickdrac posted:

It's embarrassing for the manufacturer (when there is only one supplier) to have their tires blow up.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

That said I've wondered at some of the things they keep around for tradition's sake that, in all reality, could be improved upon to create better racing. The rear suspension setup we’re forced to use comes to mind. Truck arms? Really? The things that were outdated in passenger cars in the 60’s? I'm all for keeping the live axle but a simple 3-link suspension upgrade would open up so many more avenues for controlling the rear, which translates into better mechanical grip/more options for the teams to help the cars/trucks turn. That’d be a win-win.

NASCAR should be looking into methods for improving mechanical grip to help balance against the ravages of aerodynamics, and updating the rulebook to do away with some of the more ancient suspension designs that we have to run would be a big start. It’s still really cool what these teams are able to get out of a truckarm/live axle setup, but the world moved on for a reason.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the reason they still cling to old-rear end tech like that is because many of the people at the top of NASCAR's food chain are heavily invested in the few remaining places that still make the parts for them.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Jayski knows what the real big story of the week was: :smug:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

LASTCAR you sent that in didn't you? Also Gordon's new paint job is some ugly rear end Texas A&M poo poo.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Owner who grew up in Virginia and went to NC State, with a racecar team based in North Carolina, and a driver from California who never went to college... running a shameful SEC scheme. So shameful.

(yes i know its the sponsors alma mater, im just playin geeze)

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

daslog posted:

It's embarrassing for the manufacturer (when there is only one supplier) to have their tires blow up.

Yeah isn't it because teams who can't get their cars to work well just crank a bunch of negative camber and really low air pressures into the right front and the softer right side tires blow out a lot easier? At least I remember at some tracks Goodyear would mandate a minimum right side tire pressure to try and defend against blow outs.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Peanut President posted:

LASTCAR you sent that in didn't you? Also Gordon's new paint job is some ugly rear end Texas A&M poo poo.

Oh yes, I send in my articles every week, which gets me on the Articles page, but I usally don't make the Top News Stories box. It's one of the things that makes me dig for any interesting stats I can find.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Cygni posted:

Owner who grew up in Virginia and went to NC State, with a racecar team based in North Carolina, and a driver from California who never went to college... running a shameful SEC scheme. So shameful.

(yes i know its the sponsors alma mater, im just playin geeze)

A&M ain't in the SEC.

edit: and no school from virginia either.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Peanut President posted:

A&M ain't in the SEC.

edit: and no school from virginia either.

I've got upsetting news for you.

Also no school from Virginia or North Carolina is in the SEC. Thats the point.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I refuse to admit A&M. I am racist against schools that wear maroon. Crimson is okay but Maroon is right out.

Bz22
Jul 28, 2006
­­­­
I saw this on the Tonight Show last night, it starts at 1:40. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6ijyvNDaJg

http://tmblr.co/ZCaKmx18VJbyG

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Haha, that's actually pretty funny. I had low expectations going in, so that was a surprise.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Fallon and his writing staff are actually funny and have made me care about the Tonight Show for the first time since forever.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah, but he just rubs me the wrong way. Plus, Leno's Tonight Show led to Jay Leno's Garage, so all those years of not being funny paid off at the end.

I was always a Letterman fan anyway.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

gently caress both of them, Craig Ferguson is the best, bar none. :colbert:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
gently caress that, Leno owns because he drives a priceless car every day and Letterman owns for owning an Indy team and letting Cup and Indy guys on after big wins/championships.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah Letterman even had a few F1 drivers on here and there, although he always tries too hard to be wild and wacky when he does have drivers on since his audience doesn't recognize any of them.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

gently caress that, Leno owns because he drives a priceless car every day and Letterman owns for owning an Indy team and letting Cup and Indy guys on after big wins/championships.

Letterman is one of the best celebrity allies the sport has.

I used to not care for him, but I really learned to admire him for doing stuff like that.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

No one who paid :10bux: to be a member of somethingawful.com can say they enjoy Leno’s humor with a straight face.

I’m a fan of Leno because he used his mediocre talent to fleece NBC for literally Hundreds of millions of dollars; and spent it all on cars, instead of children’s hospitals or whatever.

Coco or Ferguson for the lulz.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, we had Letterman who co owns an IndyCar and sportscar team and Jay Leno who is probably the most hardcore gearhead carnut on the planet earth.

In a few years the interviews with drivers are either gonna end outright or just get even more horribly horribly awkward.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ATTN There is no podcast tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

LASTCAR posted:

Oh yes, I send in my articles every week, which gets me on the Articles page, but I usally don't make the Top News Stories box. It's one of the things that makes me dig for any interesting stats I can find.

I miss the days when he'd hand edit the HTML and leave open tags. Every now and then most of the site would be bold/red text, I always found that hilarious for some reason.

• Locked thread