Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

Voltage posted:

I'll skip the gas station snacks if it nets me ~8-10HP, but to each his own I guess - I never really even think about fuel costs to be honest. My ST gets at least 22MPG and if I'm going on a long highway trip I'll do about 28. Pretty good considering I'm WOT most of the time.

In the summer, sure, in the winter, absolutely not.

Here's how many times I've been WOT or even half throttle this winter. 0.

My savings will pay for the exhaust I'm getting put together in a few weeks, so it's for a good cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

sadnessboner posted:

It took 5 months to get here, but my Fiesta finally arrived, with the correct number of doors no less

That looks fantastic!

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

1791apparel posted:

In the summer, sure, in the winter, absolutely not.

Here's how many times I've been WOT or even half throttle this winter. 0.

My savings will pay for the exhaust I'm getting put together in a few weeks, so it's for a good cause.

What exhaust are you going for? I'd love an intake and exhaust but mines a lease. It sucks not having that choo-choo turbo sound :(. It was a bit warm over the weekend so I had my windows down and I could just BARELY hear the turbo spool.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I get it.
They look way more awesome, and the focus is probably different but in the fiesta if you're tall the rear seats a practically useless.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've never understood the obsession with three door hatches.

edit: not making GBS threads on your car at all, it looks great. But the whole thing with anything that comes over is like "WHY DIDN'T THEY BRING THE THREE DOOR???" and I don't even get it. I moved from the 1-Series to the Focus ST in part to get the two extra doors.

People are losing their god damned minds because the '15 R is 4 door only. The only reason my current Golf is 2dr is because I got an awesome deal on it and didn't really care how many doors it had. Although somehow it costs me 10 bucks more for insurance because it is missing 2 of the doors.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

veedubfreak posted:

People are losing their god damned minds because the '15 R is 4 door only. The only reason my current Golf is 2dr is because I got an awesome deal on it and didn't really care how many doors it had. Although somehow it costs me 10 bucks more for insurance because it is missing 2 of the doors.

I should buy a new R just to spite those people.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've never understood the obsession with three door hatches.

edit: not making GBS threads on your car at all, it looks great. But the whole thing with anything that comes over is like "WHY DIDN'T THEY BRING THE THREE DOOR???" and I don't even get it. I moved from the 1-Series to the Focus ST in part to get the two extra doors.

small four-seat cars need four doors. It's rough enough for a normal-sized person just to sit back there, but trying to squeeze them through a foot-wide opening first? I'm 5'5" and even I have issues getting into the back of my 2dr Focus.

And I think we can all agree the real crime is the lack of a Focus ST wagon on this side of the pond.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It's not just fitting people back there. If you want to use your rear seat to carry pretty much anything, and you're not dropping the seats and loading through the hatch, rear doors make it worlds easier, and some stuff just won't fit at all between a folded front seat and the single door.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's not just fitting people back there. If you want to use your rear seat to carry pretty much anything, and you're not dropping the seats and loading through the hatch, rear doors make it worlds easier, and some stuff just won't fit at all between a folded front seat and the single door.

This is the reason my 2dr isn't that big a deal. I almost never have the seats up since I haul so much crap around on a regular basis. So far my best is 7 complete desktops/monitors for a deployment. Some of it spilled into the passenger seat though :)

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

Voltage posted:

What exhaust are you going for? I'd love an intake and exhaust but mines a lease. It sucks not having that choo-choo turbo sound :(. It was a bit warm over the weekend so I had my windows down and I could just BARELY hear the turbo spool.

Hi. I'm removing the stock resonator and muffler and installing a Flowmaster DBX and dual tip.

Search for Flowmaster DBX Focus ST and a YouTube video should pop up. It should sound a bit deep and burby. It's as close to the sound of an STI our SRT 4 that you can get on a tight budget.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

There certainly are trade-offs in taking 2 doors over 4; but ultimately I'd rather the functional concession of the 2dr over the aesthetic one of the 4. I've got a forester for when I need to move more than one passenger and some groceries.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Folks with Focus STs, how's the reliability of your car so far. The ST is one of a few cars I'm looking at, but I've heard there may be issues, and if there are still significant bugs to be worked out, I may wait or go in another direction.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Folderol posted:

Folks with Focus STs, how's the reliability of your car so far. The ST is one of a few cars I'm looking at, but I've heard there may be issues, and if there are still significant bugs to be worked out, I may wait or go in another direction.

I am 6k miles in, other than replacing the motor mounts I haven't had a problem. My biggest gripes about the car are MFT sucking rear end (incidental to actually driving), a lack of... gadget storage? in the cockpit, and right now I've noticed that the rear passenger doors don't drain well after it rains. I'll open the doors two days after a shower and there'll be a puddle that splashes out. Ooh, also, when it's below freezing your nav data won't load because I dunno. SD card issues.

Otherwise rock solid, I've determined that the FSWerks tune kicks more rear end than the Cobb one so I've been driving a bit more enthusiastically lately. Also it's warm again in South Carolina and since I didn't spring for a set of steelies and winter tires it's just phenomenal having traction again.

v boo-urns! I got a star in my windshield from a piece of asphalt at 3k miles in, I was nooooot pleased.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 26, 2014

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Folderol posted:

Mine just hit 24000 miles, and not a hitch so far.

Well, not a hitch except for the piece of debris that grazed the undercarriage on the highway yesterday. It gouged a 1/4 inch nick into the oil pan, which then started (slowly) weeping oil.

Dealer says the pan is $~100-something, but that the labor to replace the pan, plus diagnostic fees will probably put the final bill in the ~$800 range. So word of advice, don't mess up your oil pan!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kill-9 posted:

More 'not Ford' talk. :)

I got a new toy last week.

The first thing I did was get it tinted then dipped the wheels red to match the trim.

It was the last 2013 on the dealer lot and they wanted it gone. I got it for a steal loaded with upgraded leather interior with heated seats, Beats sound system, 17" wheels, sunroof, nav, and more I've already forgotten. I think I did really well. I went into the dealer looking at a base model 500, the Pop. My wife already has a Golf R(the nose is in the second pic above) so I was looking for a cheap commuter to replace my 25 year old Range Rover(the Classic will remain my camping and hauling vehicle). I didn't need another hot hatch. I looked at the Fiat, the Fiesta, and even the Leaf. I dropped by the dealer a week later for a second look at the Pop and in passing asked about the Abarth. The price they quoted was just a bit out of my budget. I ended up leaving without buying anything. The dealer called me a couple days later and said what price did it take for me to buy the Abarth. They met my, what I thought was a joke, price. Two hours later I drove home in it.

My wife's car is technically faster but the Abarth sure _feels_ faster and is a real blast to drive. I know it's cliche but it handles like it's on rails. I've never, in nearly 30 years of driving, owned a FWD car and it takes a slightly different driving style but I'm getting used to it. And the exhaust note is captivating. Whatever engineer convinced Fiat/Chrylser to drop the muffler for 2013 and on needs to be thanked. That backfire/afterfire popping under acceleration never gets old.

Eventually I'd like to drop/level it. I'm not completely sold on the forward rake they have from the factory. I'd like to fill the wheel wells a bit better but not at the cost of handling. I don't want 'stance' for stance's sake. Also I'm shopping around at different tunes. There's a lot going on in that area right now for these and figuring out what's the 'best' is a bit tough.

That's pretty awesome. I know it's rude to ask, but if you don't mind, how much was that "joke" offer?

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

KillHour posted:

That's pretty awesome. I know it's rude to ask, but if you don't mind, how much was that "joke" offer?

I don't mind. There's people talking about how cheap the remaining 2013s are on all the Fiat forums. I drove it off for $19600+ttl. MSRP was $28,050(I believe that's as maxed out as they get). Some folks are claiming sub $17k for non-loaded examples. To me that's a pretty good deal for what you get. I looked at Fiesta STs but couldn't get near the options for the same price.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Kill-9 posted:

I don't mind. There's people talking about how cheap the remaining 2013s are on all the Fiat forums. I drove it off for $19600+ttl. MSRP was $28,050(I believe that's as maxed out as they get). Some folks are claiming sub $17k for non-loaded examples. To me that's a pretty good deal for what you get. I looked at Fiesta STs but couldn't get near the options for the same price.
:stare:

you're giving me terrible ideas.

LtDansMagkLegs
Jul 23, 2013

triple clutcher posted:

Crosspost from the 500 thread but I bought the Bizarro version of Kill-9's

It's a little less optioned, doesn't have leather or sunroof. I paid right at 19k + TTL. They had a few dealer options thrown in that I didn't want to pay extra for but were included anyway. Window tint, metal door sills, keyfob covers, 50k mi free maintenance, a few other misc things I can't remember. I've put 1500 miles on it now in about a month and averaging 33 mpg on 90% back country road driving. They had two base model Abarth's for 16,998 on the lot as well.

Before I totaled my DD I was pretty much decided on buying either an ST or Mazda 3s later this year but after researching I found neither one of them could come anywhere close in price to what I got the Abarth for. I don't know if they are selling poorly, wanting to get rid of them for the 2014 or a combination of both but it's a good time to be looking if you're interested.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

triple clutcher posted:

Do eeeet. :)

Seriously, I'm a big car guy. My other cars are gigantic. But I love this stupid little thing after a couple of weeks of driving it. The cracks and pops from the muffler-less exhaust at WOT make me giggle every time. Don't listen to the 'hurr Fix-It-Again-Tony' haters. It's not your father's Fiat. Yes, it has quirks but nothing annoying. Just test drive one and see what you think.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Folderol posted:

15k in after 1 year of ownership with no complaints at all. Haven't found a dealership to agree to fix the motor mount without keeping it for two weeks (I need a loving car) so thats the only complaint I have. But I think all the 2014's come from the factory with that fix now so its a non-issue if you by a '14. The only complaint I guess would be mileage. On 93 I still barely get 27 even out of the boost and most of my commute to work is highway. I think it may be because of cold weather but I'm not sure. More than half of the drive is after the engine is warm. That's almost a nonissue though. It has enough storage room for my needs. I moved 650lbs of stuff in it according to the weigh station ticket in my last move. I can fit four people comfortably (reasonably I guess) for decently long trips and 5 uncomfortably for around town.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Kill-9 posted:

Seriously, I'm a big car guy. My other cars are gigantic. But I love this stupid little thing after a couple of weeks of driving it. The cracks and pops from the muffler-less exhaust at WOT make me giggle every time. Don't listen to the 'hurr Fix-It-Again-Tony' haters. It's not your father's Fiat. Yes, it has quirks but nothing annoying. Just test drive one and see what you think.

I do still have my heart set on the Fiesta ST ... but, I could also have a lot of fun in an Abarth. Hell, for the right price I could probably have fun in a 500 Sport considering how little non-city driving I do.

Think I'm gonna be talking to some dealers tomorrow ...

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

Bob A Feet posted:

15k in after 1 year of ownership with no complaints at all. Haven't found a dealership to agree to fix the motor mount without keeping it for two weeks (I need a loving car) so thats the only complaint I have. But I think all the 2014's come from the factory with that fix now so its a non-issue if you by a '14. The only complaint I guess would be mileage. On 93 I still barely get 27 even out of the boost and most of my commute to work is highway. I think it may be because of cold weather but I'm not sure. More than half of the drive is after the engine is warm. That's almost a nonissue though. It has enough storage room for my needs. I moved 650lbs of stuff in it according to the weigh station ticket in my last move. I can fit four people comfortably (reasonably I guess) for decently long trips and 5 uncomfortably for around town.

I'm getting around 20. Granted its all city, small 5 mile trips, and the car has less than 500 miles. And it's been near zero most of the winter.

Hopefully it picks up once it gets warm.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

1791apparel posted:

I'm getting around 20. Granted its all city, small 5 mile trips, and the car has less than 500 miles. And it's been near zero most of the winter.

Hopefully it picks up once it gets warm.

My city mileage is also atrocious, I roll up about 19 if I stay in town because I have a 4 mile round trip of stop signs and speed humps :(

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Many thanks everyone for the ST feedback! I'm not too worried about motor mounts, which are always something I'd consider going aftermarket on anyway, and I'm not sure whether MFT would be an issue for me personally, so maybe that just leaves turbo issues. Anyone here have any problems in that department?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I bought a 2014 back in October and it had the new motor mounts installed at the factory.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

This is the reason my 2dr isn't that big a deal. I almost never have the seats up since I haul so much crap around on a regular basis. So far my best is 7 complete desktops/monitors for a deployment. Some of it spilled into the passenger seat though :)
Not the most I've hauled by any means (there's been a few Costco trips with one or both parents where we buy a bunch of crap before remembering we took my car) but I was proud of this one, ladder in a Mini:

Had to leave the seat tilted forward but at least there was a decent bit of room for front/back adjustment. I just remembered another one that was difficult, passenger plus her bike (regular adult size mountain bike), took off the front wheel and barely fit it in. Obviously not a huge deal volume wise but the dimensions just made them a massive pain in the rear end.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The really inconvenient thing about hauling poo poo in the Focus is that the cargo cover is really bulky and there's nowhere good to put it. Usually I can leave it at home or whatever, but that's not always possible.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The really inconvenient thing about hauling poo poo in the Focus is that the cargo cover is really bulky and there's nowhere good to put it. Usually I can leave it at home or whatever, but that's not always possible.

My cargo cover has been hanging on the wall in the garage since I bought the car. I need to order heater channels for my bug, but I have a feeling I'm going to have to remove the passenger seat to get them in the car.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah mine got lost in my last move. I needed to stack poo poo in there and that thing will literally not fit in any other part of the car except the spot it was designed for so I left it.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Is the fiesta st supposed to suffer from the broken motor mount problems that I've heard people talk about on the focus?

12345random
Mar 24, 2013
I threw the cargo cover before taking deliver.

RMM update. Dealership is covering my car under the TSB even though it was built in Sept last year. Supposedly only builds through August were impacted. Apparently that's incorrect. Good to know!

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

echobucket posted:

Is the fiesta st supposed to suffer from the broken motor mount problems that I've heard people talk about on the focus?

I haven't seen Fiesta owners mention it, and there doesn't appear to be a service bulletin out for it at least. The relevant one for the Focus was TSB-13-6-10.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Kill-9 posted:

How do you deal with the visibility? Seriously, I have spent about 2 hours driving 500s and merging left is terrifying. It is so bad they HAD to give you a blind spot mirror. Had to emphasised because they only give you one.. For the side you literally cannot see anything over your shoulder.

They could at least give you two to make it less obvious that it is there as your only hope for survival.

The Arbath is such an enjoyable car, but gently caress.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Found something called elevate for me C30. Seems to be a popular muffler. Sounds pretty good too. I told myself I wouldn't race out my next car! I even bought an automatic to prevent hooliganism! But it turns out a C30 is a decent car for being rude :(

I'll never grow up.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Math You posted:

How do you deal with the visibility? Seriously, I have spent about 2 hours driving 500s and merging left is terrifying. It is so bad they HAD to give you a blind spot mirror. Had to emphasised because they only give you one.. For the side you literally cannot see anything over your shoulder.

They could at least give you two to make it less obvious that it is there as your only hope for survival.

The Arbath is such an enjoyable car, but gently caress.

I'm probably a bad person to ask. My other driver is a tinted out Range Rover with zero rearward visibility. I have to rely on side views alone in it. It was the same in my D-90 and in my F-150 before that going back 15 years. I'm used to looking at blind spot mirrors. :)

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

PadreScout posted:

bought an automatic

:getout:

all jokes aside, why do you think an automatic would prevent you being a hooligan? isn't it just less fun to drive now?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

:getout:

all jokes aside, why do you think an automatic would prevent you being a hooligan? isn't it just less fun to drive now?

Actually, yes. Exactly that.

edit: actually, I want to explain this one a bit more.

See, I had a Miata (forever) and a last year got a Striple.

Miata was fooled with a decent amount: racingbeat springs,racingbeat intake, racingbeat exhaust, flying miata midpipe, bossfrog rollbar, bilstein shocks,EBC yellow brake pads (thought about big brkae conversion, but not enough gain for the money), Konig helium wheels and a yearly rotation of some sort of pretty sticky tire. Basically .... a very good place to hit it with some serious mods. I had plans in order to get it turbocharged and poo poo would have "been on". Well, I got the Striple and suddenly the car was not nearly as exciting anymore but too loving tiny to be my useful practical machine.

So I told myself "I'll get hatch/wagon sized vehicle and LEAVE IT THE gently caress ALONE." Ride the bike for insane antics and have a car that just has a little room and gets me around when the weather is super lovely.

I actually hadn't planned on the C30, it's a little smaller than I had planned (still cavernous compared o my old DD) but, you know. I got it with an automatic, planned to drive nice, use it when I need to be a human being and ride my bike around for laughs.

It has been almost exactly 6 weeks and now I'm thinking : polestar map the engine, elevate exhaust, 3 inch downpipe, H&R coilovers, find a nice rear sway and front strut brace .... new wheels and tires (being a long term Miata owner I have a pretty psychotic preoccupation with unsprung weight), and do you loving see where this is going? Le loving sigh.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 27, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I drive an auto :ohdear::ssh:. It does not prevent hooliganism.

I left foot brake though so uh, at least I'm putting both feet to use I guess :effort:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I saw this on another forum, thought I would pass it on.

Edge Autosports posted:

Tax Return Sale at EdgeAutosport!
THIS SALE IS STARTING ON FEBRUARY 1, 2014 AND WILL END ON MARCH 31, 2014!

Tax season has come around again and its that time of the year when we do our Tax Return sale. Similar to last year, the deal is simple. The more you spend the more you save.

$500 or more - GET 5% OFF
$1000 or more - GET 6% OFF
$2000 or more - GET 7% OFF
$3000 or more - GET 8% OFF

COUPON CODES for INSTANT DISCOUNTS
$500 or more - Tax1
$1000 or more - Tax2
$2000 or more - Tax3
$3000 or more - Tax4

It's that simple. Here are the rules.

*DOES NOT combine with other offers that we normally do.
*Based ONLY on WEBSITE PRICES
*Some parts and manufacturers not included

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I know it's not really a hot hatch, but I am likely going to buy a 2012 Mazda2 Touring soon. Already drove it. Nothing noticeable and it drove just fine. Anything specific I should look out for with Mazdas?