Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Fiber circuit we had installed Friday afternoon quit working at 7:40pm that day.

Opened a ticket at 8:05am today. First they blamed us. Then they blamed AT&T (BGP issue). Now they're having me reboot their routers and are sending a tech out for some reason. Argh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

adorai posted:

I did run as admin. Only after launching from a command prompt that had been launched as admin did I get the feedback.

thats what I meant; spawn PS or CMD as run-as-admin

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Dear bitcoin barron at the 24/7 accessible colo,

I understand you’ve taken up an entire row of racks to run your farm on exposed motherboards and video cards, keeping every single rack door open to avoid proper heat dissipation. This does not concern me. However, the colo provided crash carts* are not your personal possessions and you cannot hoard it at your convenience.

I know you’re hording it as I showed up in the evening to rack my hardware, left to sleep, woke up, gambled a bit, and came back the next morning, and the cart was still there connected to your hardware (as was you). Thankfully the admin in the faraday cage next to me saw me racking up and offered the crash cart he himself dragged across the colo because you are a loving. goddamn. rear end in a top hat.

I hope someone hacks your wallet,
incoherent.

*= crash carts are keyboards, video, and mouse for common use

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

incoherent posted:

I understand you’ve taken up an entire row of racks to run your farm on exposed motherboards and video cards, keeping every single rack door open to avoid proper heat dissipation. This does not concern me. However, the colo provided crash carts* are not your personal possessions and you cannot hoard it at your convenience.

I know you’re hording it as I showed up in the evening to rack my hardware, left to sleep, woke up, gambled a bit, and came back the next morning, and the cart was still there connected to your hardware (as was you). Thankfully the admin in the faraday cage next to me saw me racking up and offered the crash cart he himself dragged across the colo because you are a loving. goddamn. rear end in a top hat.

incoherent.

How the hell is someone making money mining bitcoin while paying for colo/power/bandwidth? :lol:

We are no where near that cheap for space, I have no idea how that would work...

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

EDIT: Okay I read that wrong, but he probably has a sweetheart deal or knows where bodies are buried or something.

theangryamoeba
Sep 26, 2008

incoherent posted:

[i]Dear bitcoin barron at the 24/7 accessible colo,

Are you a customer at my data center? This sounds a lot like what my boss has done.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

It read to me like one of the staff is embezzling a rack for his mining rig.

This is exactly how this works here. We were spun off of the company that owns our DC space, as such we have preferential treatment when it comes to billing. The price of power is a flat fee that is included on a per rack basis, as long as he doesn't trip the circuit no one would notice. He is also using a /30 of public ipv4 space for each mining rig.

Normally I wouldn't care what he is upto, but whenever there is a price shock in BTC my boss becomes downright abusive to me. Bitcoin is the sole reason why I want to :yotj:

theangryamoeba fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 25, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

incoherent posted:

incoherent.

Published today. Don't tell him, let him find out the fun way :)

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2014/02/24/mining-experiment-running-600-servers-year-yields-0-4-bitcoin/

The result: running Bitcoin mining software on those 600 quad-core servers for a year would earn about 0.43 Bitcoin, worth a total return of about $275.08 at current prices on major Bitcoin exchanges.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Dude was running ATI video cards but I didn't see what they were specifically. I was more worried about the exposed motherboard/videocard/PSU on shelfs. Also, he looked like the kind of guy who would mine a cryptocurrency and hang out at a colo all day long.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 25, 2014

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My boss hurt his back over the weekend. This means he was shuffling around the office shouting obscenities while jizzed out of his mind on painkillers and muscle relaxers. He was acting like an utter dickhole as well. Nobody will say anything since he's the (late) founders son and has been around for like 20 years. I've only been here 60 days and I think it's time to :yotj: .

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
It must be bitchy boss monday, mine was being an utter asswipe today too. He sent an email at 3:20am last night about the membership of the domain admins group, then sent another email at 8:30 this morning berating the whole team for 'reacting' to his email and removing accounts. Now half our team can't do anything because we use domain admin to, oh I dunno, log into domain controllers and do AD poo poo. (Separate Admin and user level accounts)
Fun part is the last edit on the domain admins group was last night at 3:22am. So strong evidence points to my boss having a fugue state and dicking with production systems at gently caress off o'clock in the morning, then trying to duck the blame.

We then got a super pissy passive aggressive email about 1pm today about "Following Process" and "Thinking before Acting", that was CC'd to the VP and Director. I'm looking forward to the team meeting tomorrow.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

theangryamoeba posted:

He is also using a /30 of public ipv4 space for each mining rig.

That's only 2 usable IPs per subnet, one of which is probably the gateway back to whatever he's connected to.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Antioch posted:

We then got a super pissy passive aggressive email about 1pm today about "Following Process" and "Thinking before Acting", that was CC'd to the VP and Director. I'm looking forward to the team meeting tomorrow.

Well don't hold out on us! What happened?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Next motherfucker that says "the cloud" is getting punched.

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

Bob Morales posted:

Next motherfucker that says "the cloud" is getting punched.

Have you met Microsoft's new CEO?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

reminder of the best goddamn chrome extension, ever.

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

omg installing that right now!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Everything is the cloud now.

I SENT IT UP TO THE CLOUD

You mean our email server?

ITS ON THE CLOUD ITS ON THE CLOUD

Oh you mean it's on the vendors FTP site?

ITS ONLINE ITS ONLINE

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

Haha, this is awesome!

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
There's always room to store it in the cloud.

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

less than three posted:

There's always room to store it in my butt.

Is it web scale?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Pissing me off this morning: fruit flies

We are in a union building so the janitors mosey along doing their thing and give no shits. The waste can next to my desk gets dumped every other day and the janitor just dumps it without changing the liner, so there's all this goey sludge at the bottom that fruit flies apparently love. So now I have the occasional bug fly across my screens and land on my hands as I type.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 25, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had to deal with the not replacing the bin liner at an old job. The key is to gently caress up the bin liner constantly so it can't be used again.

theangryamoeba
Sep 26, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

That's only 2 usable IPs per subnet, one of which is probably the gateway back to whatever he's connected to.
The number of ips in use isn't really a problem, the problem is that he is stealing 20 or so /30s out of our customer allotment for running his bitcoin empire. It's essentially the same as if I was stole half a tray of ram, or a couple of SSDs from our stock.

theangryamoeba fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 25, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Agrikk posted:

We are in a union building so the

This happens in non-union places as well. It's hard to get people to give a gently caress about a lovely job with lovely pay.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Ah gotcha. He could at least have the decency to clump all of his ports onto the same VLAN and run them all on the same subnet rather than waste 75% of the IPs he's stealing.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 25, 2014

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

which is a waste of 3 IPs per miner

:spergin:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

nzspambot posted:

which is a waste of 3 IPs per miner

:spergin:

I wish this was satire I had to explain to a dumbass coworker why they can't use a network or broadcast address. Like talking to a wall.

And it's more like a waste of 4 in addresses a miner

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 26, 2014

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

incoherent posted:

Reminder to disable this extension before pasting your resume into an online service.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Reminder to disable this extension before pasting your resume into an online service.

Look buddy if you're not willing to knuckle down and work in my butt then you're not the kind of guy I want to work with.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I wish this was satire I had to explain to a dumbass coworker why they can't use a network or broadcast address. Like talking to a wall.

One of my big headaches at my last gig was people configuring gateways wrong. They'd set it to the network address or better yet, leave it out entirely. Ubuntu is far too forgiving if you do that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I need to actually stop being a shitlord and get some certifications. I can't keep setting up printers and trying to explain how POP works to seniors.

I'm becoming Daniel Plainview (except with the ability to back it up.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28BXqQWqYJU

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 26, 2014

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Coworker went to a satellite to put a printer in place of a malfunctioning copier so they could print, told him to just set the IP to the same as the copier and I'd change the driver on the print server and everything would be okay.

He set the printer IP to the same as the copier. And set nothing else. And left the copier on, connected to the network, with its original IP.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
This new Dell XPS13 is great. Except the wifi maxes out at 1MB/sec.

What's that? They ALL have that problem? turning them from amazing machines to pieces of poo poo? Fantastic!

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Swink posted:

This new Dell XPS13 is great. Except the wifi maxes out at 1MB/sec.

What's that? They ALL have that problem? turning them from amazing machines to pieces of poo poo? Fantastic!

Don't all of the XPS laptops have Intel wireless cards :raise: that can't be right. Our Vostros (with the Dell 1501 WLAN) shipped with a horrendous POS driver but it was fine with an update

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
When it was just the one laptop I thought it was a hardware issue, but now I have four of them on my desk and I don't know whats going on.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Swink posted:

When it was just the one laptop I thought it was a hardware issue, but now I have four of them on my desk and I don't know whats going on.

Stupid question, but did you try a newer driver? If the one from Dell's site doesn't work, maybe grab the one from Intel's site. That's worked for me in the past. Beyond that, I've seen stupid poo poo happen with different BIOS revisions. I had a 780 (Pretty sure it was a 780 USFF) that wouldn't PXE boot with the latest BIOS. Had to downgrade a few revisions before it would work.

Jerk Burger
Jul 4, 2003

King of the Monkeys

incoherent posted:

It's all so clear now

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

But unsurprisingly, the idea of storing personal information somewhere "up in my butt" makes many people wary.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

mysteryberto posted:

But unsurprisingly, the idea of storing personal information somewhere "up in my butt" makes many people wary.

How do you use my butt? Let us know in the comments section below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Volmarias posted:

How do you use my butt? Let us know in the comments section below.

Honestly, that sentenance makes more sense now than it did before.