Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

crowfeathers posted:

john rule reveals the true agenda of the girl scouts of america

The Girl Scouts should teach children about "choking the bishop". A Joycelyn Elders cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

FaradayCage posted:

If only Chief Sitting Bull would turn his book around, he could properly learn his C B A's.

Or is it A <flip the book over to continue reading the title> C B's?

Polyaph is such a hack.

I think we had a three-page derail about this once.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

majormonotone posted:

As I previewed my post I got the mildest sense of deja vu, but I foolishly dismissed it as a phantom.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

majormonotone posted:

ACB stands for Air Current Bird. You know, that thing that points out the direction of the wind.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Command Ant posted:

The merger in question threatens to create a monopoly on internet service providers, which would force customers to accept whatever price was set with absolutely no other option. The folksy piece of poo poo who made that cartoon thinks it's not a big deal because they're laughably out-of-touch with the modern world.

This is from a while back but I would like to point out that what you're saying will happen has already happened. This merger doesn't create a monopoly, it unites existing monopolies.
Comcast and time warner already could charge you whatever.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Somfin posted:

ACB stands for Air Current Bird. You know, that thing that points out the direction of the wind.
I will cut you.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

majormonotone posted:

Is it too late to change the thread title?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

All workers should stand together, AGC.

Good job loving up a "a thing happened" cartoon Ramirez.
But look how happy those workers are now that they left the oppressive and bullyish unions!! :downs:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

As someone relatively new to the Politoons threads, what's the big deal with weathervanes anyway? Was there some great derail in the before time about weathervanes?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

As someone relatively new to the Politoons threads, what's the big deal with weathervanes anyway? Was there some great derail in the before time about weathervanes?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes, don't talk about weathervanes. Or backpacks.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

majormonotone posted:

We did, and I started it.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

It can be very hard to tell if a weathervane is drawn properly, given bad artists and misleading perspectives.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
I just want you guys to know that Ted rall has written an editorial about how the "big tech" companies are awful because they don't hire as many people as auto plants and because Ipads are expensive. "Not only have Americans been reamed by Big Tech — they know they’ve been reamed. "

E: oh also the fact that you can't call facebook on a phone makes it bad.

JaggerMcDagger fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 26, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

majormonotone posted:

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes, don't talk about weathervanes. Or backpacks.
I don't remember the backpacks one. This was the last Things We Can't Handle list, as far as I remember:

Things we can't handle:
Weather vanes
Compasses
Food of any kind
Political Cartoons
Discussion about political cartoonists
Running jokes
'Ironic' use of running jokes
Sexual metaphors

Things we can handle:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Ted Rall posted:

The root of our contempt for the tech biz is that all our economic eggs are in their basket. Manufacturing is never coming back. Whatever chance the U.S. economy has of recovering from the 2008-09 collapse (and, for that matter, the 2000-01 and 1989-93 recessions) lies with the tech sector. But the technies don’t care. And they’re barely employing anyone.

Facebook has 6,300 employees, Twitter has 2000, Instagram has 13.

The Big Three auto companies each employ between 2.5 million and 3 million workers directly or through subsidiaries and contractors.

Funny how he limits it to websites (which will naturally have a lower employee count) and excludes hardware companies like Microsoft or Apple. Note that Apple employs 80K people full time, and Microsoft and Amazon both employ over 100K people. Kind of a big number to leave out.

He does bring up a good point about Foxconn, but it's hidden under so much smug stupidity it's hard to parse from the rest.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

JT Jag posted:

I don't remember the backpacks one. This was the last Things We Can't Handle list, as far as I remember:

The backpacks derail was when some goon defended super-heavy backpacks, because how else would we prevent our youth from being such fatty fat fats?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

JT Jag posted:

Things we can't handle:
Weather vanes
Compasses
Food of any kind
Political Cartoons
Running jokes
Sexual metaphors

Things we can handle:

You also forgot nuclear power

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

XyloJW posted:

It can be very hard to tell if a weathervane is drawn properly, given bad artists and misleading perspectives.

That's it? drat, we really can't handle poo poo.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

majormonotone posted:

You also forgot nuclear power

Also "lists of things we can't handle."

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Things we can't handle:
Everything

Things we can handle:

There, now can we move on please? Here's some antisemitic something or the other that I haven't seen mentioned, I guess.

quote:

BERLIN – A cartoon published by Munich-based Süddeutsche Zeitung (SZ) last week depicting Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg as an octopus controlling the world with his company brought to mind a cartoon from 1938 Nazi Germany, the Simon Wiesenthal Center said Monday.

http://www.jpost.com/International/German-cartoon-of-Facebook-CEO-Zuckerberg-sparks-anti-Semitism-row-342412

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

MisterBadIdea posted:

Harrison only killed one person during his presidency, geez, you guys knew what he meant.

But then Che Guevara only killed zero people during his presidency (which he didn't have). He killed people while he was a military leader, like Harrison.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 26, 2014

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Killing people as a soldier couldn't be cooler until you're trying to prove some rear end in a top hat wrong.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Wanamingo posted:

There, now can we move on please? Here's some antisemitic something or the other that I haven't seen mentioned, I guess.

http://www.jpost.com/International/German-cartoon-of-Facebook-CEO-Zuckerberg-sparks-anti-Semitism-row-342412

This would be AGC if they had just slapped the drat facebook logo on a regular squid. If your caricature isn't already recognizable as Zuckerberg (and this isn't, it looks like a cross between Rand Paul and the conservative cartoonists' depiction of Al Gore) then maybe it's best just to leave it out. Or is this guy actually an anti-Semite?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

I'd be completely down with the president flying around in a biplane.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Horrible posted:

This would be AGC if they had just slapped the drat facebook logo on a regular squid. If your caricature isn't already recognizable as Zuckerberg (and this isn't, it looks like a cross between Rand Paul and the conservative cartoonists' depiction of Al Gore) then maybe it's best just to leave it out. Or is this guy actually an anti-Semite?

The cartoonist said that antisemitism and racism are ideologies that are completely foreign to him, and that he just wanted to draw it to be like the octopus from Pirates of the Caribbean. According to him it's not supposed to be a caricature of Zuckerberg or any other specific person, but rather Facebook as a whole. The newspaper that printed it has been accused of antisemitism once before when it ran a pictures that compared Israel to a ravenous monster, though I couldn't find that to see if it's actually offensive or if Israel was just being their usual reactionary self.

Personally, I think that even with the best of intentions, drawing people as hook nosed octopuses is stupidly insensitive and not something that should be done.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

Octopuseseses aren't kosher, of course they're antisemantic. :rimshot:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Have I got a silent film-era treat for you!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Unfortunately the brits already have us beat.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Oh no, someone stuck a femur through Obama's head :ohdear:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Nice Davis posted:

Oh no, someone stuck a femur through Obama's head :ohdear:

Those are antlers, you're looking at Bullwinkle from behind. Obama's the one wearing the hat. Not sure what they're doing together.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Dayvan Cowboy
Feb 11, 2014

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

El Scotch posted:

Octopuseseses aren't kosher, of course they're antisemantic. :rimshot:

I'm glad I'm not the only one sick of Octopuseseses fast and loose use of the language.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Anyone who's anyone says "octopodes"

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

alnilam posted:

Anyone who's anyone says "octopodes"

This dude knows what's up. Pedantry for life.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

Things we can't handle:
Weather vanes
Compasses
Food of any kind
Political Cartoons
Running jokes
Sexual metaphors

Things we can handle:

Someone needs to combine this with this.

Things we can have in this thread:

Day by Penis
Kelly
That one Shortpacked about Tinsley
AGC's
Calls to retract Ramirez's Pulitzer's

Wanamingo posted:

The cartoonist said that antisemitism and racism are ideologies that are completely foreign to him, and that he just wanted to draw it to be like the octopus from Pirates of the Caribbean. According to him it's not supposed to be a caricature of Zuckerberg or any other specific person, but rather Facebook as a whole. The newspaper that printed it has been accused of antisemitism once before when it ran a pictures that compared Israel to a ravenous monster, though I couldn't find that to see if it's actually offensive or if Israel was just being their usual reactionary self.

Personally, I think that even with the best of intentions, drawing people as hook nosed octopuses is stupidly insensitive and not something that should be done.

This claim is undercut slightly by the fact that Davey Jones does not have a goddamn nose at all. The bridge of the characters nose merges into his upper lip. Either he is blind, or the hook nose was an intentional addition to the cartoon.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

This claim is undercut slightly by the fact that Davey Jones does not have a goddamn nose at all. The bridge of the characters nose merges into his upper lip. Either he is blind, or the hook nose was an intentional addition to the cartoon.

It does look somewhat plausibly like a cross between Davey Jones and Captain Barbossa.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

More potholes!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

You're right, Tinsley, that guy should die of a preventable illness, without any healthcare at all.

• Locked thread