Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Since when did Glee become the Blaine gets everything show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

BreakAtmo posted:

I buy it. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like it comes from a mix of the self-esteem issues she has from being bullied and hated all her life + the extreme levels of confidence/arrogance she's cultivated to make others think she's just that good. Not to mention that jealousy and sabotage DO happen, a lot, in such competitive industries.

Pretty much this. I mean with all the poo poo Glee pulls, at least this felt like something that fit the character.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Vanessa Lengies new show starts tonight. The first five minutes are very very bad.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

jscolon2.0 posted:

Vanessa Lengies new show starts tonight. The first five minutes are very very bad.

Godammit, I already watch one terrible show because I think a cast member is fabulous. I really didn't need another :smith:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I already watch this and the blacklist, I'm not adding more terrible shows to my life.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Lea Michele's album is eh/10. Amazing voice, though.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

They had Santana singing during a part when only Lea Michele's voice was playing during Gloria. One of the big notes when Santana is standing alone on a table or something.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
:allears:

Okay so if you don't think this episode was a national treasure you need to get out of my face and also the city. I don't even care which city, just leave.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Congratulations to Emma for the fastest pregnancy in history! :toot:

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Of course Will had to give a high five to an adolescent male student just seconds before boning his wife. How else could he get an erection?

The episode had some good ingredients, but I'm sick of this pie. A combination of years of lovely plots and pacing, Lea Michele no longer getting solos, and Cory dying irl have pretty much ruined the show for me. I'm ready for McKinley to go away and I want Will to die in a car fire. Hopefully things are better in a few episodes when we get the Rachel and Santana show featuring Kurt, Blaine, Sam, ?Artie, and the dancer formerly known as Mercedes Jones.

Rarity posted:

Congratulations to Emma for the fastest pregnancy in history! :toot:

Someone hasn't seen S3 of Fringe!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I liked how the whole point of these last two episodes seems to be that everyone in high school are the bestest friends and resolve all their issues without much trouble while the NYC crew are literally the worst.

And, honestly though, if this is going to be one of Schuester's last storylines on this show, I do appreciate that it's about wanting to have a baby to bring it all full circle back to his very first storyline.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Sam running around in the girl version of the cheerleading dress was awesome.

I wish I had more to add, but I feel that would be endless paragraphs complaining on why Tina has been reduced to what she currently is.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh no...

Now look what you've done, you monster. :colbert:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

the truth posted:

Hopefully things are better in a few episodes when we get the Rachel and Santana show featuring Kurt, Blaine, Sam, ?Artie, and the dancer formerly known as Mercedes Jones.

If you're hoping for the Rachel and Santana show, you're setting yourself up for disappointment; all signs point to Santana leaving the show after the 100th episode. There's been tons of twitter hints and interviews basically saying Brittany comes back and she and Santana fly off into the sunset together. There are no mentions of Santana in anything after 100, and Lea Michele just did an interview talking about filming the New York episodes with her costars-- mentioning Kevin, Darren, Chris, Chord, and Amber, but no Naya.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Spergatory posted:

If you're hoping for the Rachel and Santana show, you're setting yourself up for disappointment; all signs point to Santana leaving the show after the 100th episode. There's been tons of twitter hints and interviews basically saying Brittany comes back and she and Santana fly off into the sunset together. There are no mentions of Santana in anything after 100, and Lea Michele just did an interview talking about filming the New York episodes with her costars-- mentioning Kevin, Darren, Chris, Chord, and Amber, but no Naya.

Holy poo poo you guys, I'm free!!! :neckbeard:

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Yeah, the show looks like it's basically shaping up to be Rachel and the boys for the remainder of its run (I do not have high hopes that Mercedes is going to get any kind of meaningful storyline before FOX inevitably cuts its run short in the face of 1.0 and possibly lower ratings). The 100th episode(s) will probably end with Will/Emma, Brittany/Santana, and Puck/Quinn riding off into the sunset together, never to be seen again.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Spergatory posted:

That's ok because that means more Rachel solos.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Rarity posted:

Holy poo poo you guys, I'm free!!! :neckbeard:

Yeah, me too. Looks like my finish line is in sight.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sub Rosa posted:

Yeah, me too. Looks like my finish line is in sight.

We're leaving you, Ryan Murphy. We deserve better :unsmith::hf::unsmith:

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I was hoping that I could be free as well, but sadly Darren Criss looks like he'll be sticking around until the end. And so will I.

Let us know how freedom is. Or hate watch with the rest of us :)

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
looks likes ND comes in 2nd at nationals

https://31.media.tumblr.com/9922ae6f114dc8e3d16c4ecbd105637d/tumblr_n2ah3f0vxE1r4ezfzo1_1280.jpg

https://31.media.tumblr.com/6e23dc41aac23ed67c5e59fa57d2dfc7/tumblr_n29ocr5p1l1r4gxc3o3_1280.jpg

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

The only part of The Quarterback that gave me feels was the thirty second preview, but the Nationals thing was sweet and unexpected.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

A fairly standard competition episode. Some nice, funny moments, and I love that Tina gets some competition spotlight and that's she's pretty much accepted her role as the team Jerry Larry Gergich.

Other than that I can't really recall much from it that really wowed me. Love that Boston song, but I love other Boston songs more, and the rest were just kinda there.

Though yeah the tribute moments were unexpected and very nice.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I had literally forgotten the newbies were on this show.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

They might as well not be, right? How many more episodes until we are NYC only?

Edit: Two more!

This episode was great just for the ending of Sue killing Glee Club for real this time and then Kurt announcing "It's over!"

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 12, 2014

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

the truth posted:

The only part of The Quarterback that gave me feels was the thirty second preview, but the Nationals thing was sweet and unexpected.

BrianWilly posted:

A fairly standard competition episode. Some nice, funny moments, and I love that Tina gets some competition spotlight and that's she's pretty much accepted her role as the team Jerry Larry Gergich.

Other than that I can't really recall much from it that really wowed me. Love that Boston song, but I love other Boston songs more, and the rest were just kinda there.

Though yeah the tribute moments were unexpected and very nice.

I agree with all of this (well except that the entirety of The Quarterback wrecked my poo poo). I honestly don't know where the show is going. Is it really going NYC only for the back nine?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I agree with all of this (well except that the entirety of The Quarterback wrecked my poo poo). I honestly don't know where the show is going. Is it really going NYC only for the back nine?

It's going to the 'treading water until the current renewal order is done' place. It posted a .9 in 18-49s last night, a first for the show for a non-holiday-airing episode. I'm sure it'll get a bit of a bump over the next couple episodes with all the returning former cast members, but I'd be real surprised if FOX lets it do a full 22-episode 6th season. Maybe bank on 13-episode final season to fill a slot now vacated by X-Factor.

(All signs point to yes, the next two episodes will be the final 'hurrah' of Will Schuester and New Directions, and then the remainder of the show will be 100% NYC with Blaine, Sam, Artie, and Mercedes as additions and Santana as a subtraction from that location.)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I don't know how it could be any clearer that Glee makes a ton of money and that there is absolutely no way it will be cancelled before its total ordered seasons are done (which, let's just be totally clear here again: Glee is already renewed. It's not trying to get renewed. It's not gunning for another season. It already happened. Which is nearly unprecedented all on its own) but, seriously, such a thing is only "possible" in that "sure, I guess literally anything is possible in some way" sense.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BrianWilly posted:

I don't know how it could be any clearer that Glee makes a ton of money

Music have fallen massively over the last 3 seasons.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

So it used to make a gently caress-ton of money instead of just a ton of money. That's also not considering syndication deals and international releases. Glee is apparently big in Japan, just for instance, because it teaches them American songs or something. Most other shows trudging along can't come close to that kind of brand recognition and would kill to have twenty-two soundtrack caliber sales weeks on iTunes per season.

I'm starting to understand, after having gotten hooked on the various threads in TVIV, that it's the norm here (and elsewhere) to speculate ominously about shows getting cancelled that have little to no chance of getting cancelled...but like, I don't know how else to get across that this show getting another full season, and then ending after that, is literally a done deal at this point.

Sorry, I guess? :sweatdrop:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 13, 2014

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

BrianWilly posted:

So it used to make a gently caress-ton of money instead of just a ton of money. That's also not considering syndication deals and international releases. Glee is apparently big in Japan, just for instance, because it teaches them American songs or something. Most other shows trudging along can't come close to that kind of brand recognition and would kill to have twenty-two soundtrack caliber sales weeks on iTunes per season.

I'm starting to understand, after having gotten hooked on the various threads in TVIV, that it's the norm here (and elsewhere) to speculate ominously about shows getting cancelled that have little to no chance of getting cancelled...but like, I don't know how else to get across that this show getting another full season, and then ending after that, is literally a done deal at this point.

Sorry, I guess? :sweatdrop:

Sure, but to counter-offer:

1) Fox is not beholden to that full 6th season, or at least might pull a Happy Endings maneuver and burn episodes off in bad time slots/out of season. If the show is *that* much of a detriment in terms of advertising dollars, the network is going to do whatever it drat well pleases to recoup a time slot.
2) Glee is dangerously close to hovering at a key demo viewership that would get any other non-CW network show cancelled (or shunted to burn-off land) within an episode or two. Getting mad at people wondering if Fox might take special notice of this and react accordingly is silly.
3) If music sales and overseas popularity are *that* prominent to continue fueling a show that shrinks in viewership even now, why wouldn't they pull the opposite of what they're actually doing with the narrative? Keep the Lima half, dump NYC, rotate in fresh (and cheap) cast members to replace graduated ones each season, linger in the low 1.0s in perpetuity.

(I'll grant that by effectively cutting half the regular cast, and thus costs of the show, they've probably bought enough profit bandwidth to sustain through a 6th full season and get a few last cash bucks from music sales.)

I get that you like this show, but you're also reacting to this like people are speculating the likelihood of BBT getting cancelled/order-shortened. Glee's a unique beast and thus is interesting to discuss; if any other show was posting ratings like this on a major network, there'd be no question that a) Fox wouldn't have renewed for two seasons at once in the first place, since it was posting ~1.5s at that time; and b) cancellation would be an almost guarantee.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Okay, let me put it this way.

We already know when Glee is going to end. Barring specifics of time and date, we know because it was contractually planned-out and propositioned in a deal between the showrunners and the network itself before this current season even started. In fact, back during the initial announcement, Fox CEO Kevin Reilly was the one who mentioned that "there's two very clear arcs to get to the end and conclude" and that he doesn't foresee another season after the sixth.

That's not Ryan Murphy or the Murphettes talking, mind, that's the president of the network itself, the one who is actually responsible for choosing the shows on his network and partially responsible for launching Glee in the first place. Point being, this was all pre-negotiated. Nothing's catching anyone by any surprise here, probably including the declining ratings themselves, which are affecting most network shows across the board anyway.

(We've so far also neglected to mention income that comes from Netflix and other streaming sources, along with the newly-implemented social media aspect of the Nielsen ratings. Glee was the seventh-highest tweeted TV show in 2013.)

So we have a pretty good idea of the game plan that the showrunners and the network have agreed upon and are working towards. The question you're asking is whether declining Nielsen ratings by themselves, considering no other revenue or context, is enough to change that plan to the point of -- I guess? -- just flat-out cutting at least half the production of a season that they've already ordered in an internationally-recognized franchise that's still making them money from an unprecedented social media fanbase that they've already planned to end fittingly in a bit over a year anyway, with the added bonus of alienating the inexplicably in-demind showrunner Ryan Murphy with whom they've already -- I don't think I can stress this enough -- already reached an agreement about the cap off of the series.

And my answer remains: yes. Yes, if they are really stupid then yes, they will totally do that. :v:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 13, 2014

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Let me interrupt this silly argument to say that Mixology is probably the worst television show I've ever seen. I dearly hope it is swiftly cancelled so I have a change to see Vanessa Lengies in something more worthwhile.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
The whole shunting-the-newbies-into-the-background thing felt pretty awkward. Sure Blane/Sam/Artie are the ones that are going to be around and we should be preparing for endless combinations of them, but surely they could have given a song at nationals to (reigning MVP) Unique or Marley or at least found an excuse to show off the sweet Jake Puckerman dance moves...

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sub Rosa posted:

Let me interrupt this silly argument to say that Mixology is probably the worst television show I've ever seen. I dearly hope it is swiftly cancelled so I have a change to see Vanessa Lengies in something more worthwhile.

A note on exactly how bad it is: I watch the hour before it (Suburgatory/Modern Family) almost religiously, and when Super Fun Night was on, I would watch it too, because I was too lazy to change the channel. Now that Mixology has started, I actively look for the remote so I can change it. It bad.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah I have to agree this competition was one of their weaker ones, and that's even considering the ones with original songs. They lost this round fair and square.

Sub Rosa posted:

Well, you're right, that is actually really important to know.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sub Rosa posted:

I quite like it :(

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

First listen schedules get more and more confuzzling and harder to get masterposts for now that Glee is back on Tuesdays, but hey, there are some jewels in this week's songs.

I think Puck does some of his best work here.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
drat, Quinn. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This isn't the Santana farewell I was promised! :argh:

• Locked thread