Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

ChesterJT posted:

Had to run to Meijer for a couple things and saw these which were totally new to me. I asked my son about it and it sounds like a pokemon type of cash grab thing. Anyone bought a set? I'm assuming only kids would be into them.

The new joints are really nice, they usually have some SNOT brackets, some of them have slopes and curves in (relatively) uncommon colors, and they occasionally have the new teeth-like elements, but I wasn't terribly impressed with them. Most of them use a bar-and-clip joint for their arms, which would make them look like they're always doing semaphore if they were more than 4 studs long. If they had used the new ball joints all around they'd be more impressive.
One bag in each color has a second creature in black to build, usually just a half-dozen parts, but includes a unique crazy cartoon face printed on a 2x2 white circle tile.
The line is a tie-in with an upcoming animated show, but I don't know how involved Lego is with the show--the commercial before The Lego Movie had zero Lego branding at all and the creatures aren't made of Lego in it. Surprisingly, there doesn't appear to be a card game tie-in.

The Chima Legendary Beasts generally have a better joint-to-dollar ratio, plus a minifig and an unprinted version of the Star Wars gungan energy shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

xzzy posted:

I have a single busted up blue helmet, wonder if I could get :10bux: for it! :v:

I'm half interested in finishing out those yellow dudes, but even a pair of yellow legs runs in the $3.00 range which is absurd.

Sell it, you'll make like 20$ easily on a blue spacemen. Any blue spacemen.

I'm even seeing people throw on an Emett-minifig face (with the doofy grin) and call it an "OFFICIAL BENNY MINIFIG" when obviously it isn't, and the fuckers are selling for like $40.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

jeeves posted:

Those looks nice and I am loving cursing myself for not stocking up on ebaying-snapping up as many classic space men as I could.

Any blue spacemen now go for like 30$ online, it is crazy and of course in now way surprising!

Where are you guys seeing such high prices? I've built 4 perfect gold blue and yellow spacemen recently. Never paid more than $2 for a torso, about .50 cents each for the other pieces.

If complete blue spacemen are really going for that much, I should think about selling. I'm sure I could build more.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

ltr posted:

Where are you guys seeing such high prices? I've built 4 perfect gold blue and yellow spacemen recently. Never paid more than $2 for a torso, about .50 cents each for the other pieces.

If complete blue spacemen are really going for that much, I should think about selling. I'm sure I could build more.

Eh, looks like 14-20 on ebay, tops. Not really worth the effort.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lizard Combatant posted:

Anyone have the Parisian Restaurant and can confirm that it's as great as it looks? I get anxious right before making an order.

I really liked this review of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azgpLsMKSnA

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Nice. I sometimes avoid really in debt reviews (I like the surprises!) but just that first 180 view was enough to convince me. It's such a pretty set.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

^^^^ dept is where you'll be headed after seeing such reviews of such large sets :D

The_Doctor posted:

Ohh interesting. Also good, because the Character Building Doctor Who sets were abysmal.

Was that the set in forbidden planet? Because that was truely bad, now that cuusoo can accept sets I assume it wont take more than a month to hit the 10k votes. Right now I can't find any projects listed.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Ika posted:

^^^^ dept is where you'll be headed after seeing such reviews of such large sets :D

Wow, what an apt typo. Good one SwiftKey.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
To the person asking for a build on the double decker sofa: it's included in the sea cow set so the instructions should be easy to find. Was a simple build, should be easy to get the parts outside the set.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I was a big fan of that enormous Batmobile, the piano in the saloon and the double decker couch. I can't wait until the bluray comes out so I can pause it frame by frame. Also, I want to build Emmett's apartment.

Piano looked roughly like this didn't it?

E:HOLY TABLES BATMAN.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Biggest downer about movie builds to me is that even though pieces exist to build the model, in several places they show up in colors that Lego has never actually produced them in.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Lizard Combatant posted:

Anyone have the Parisian Restaurant and can confirm that it's as great as it looks? I get anxious right before making an order.

I bought it the other weekend and am about halfway through the build. It is definitely as great as it looks. The detail is impressive and building it is fun, there is very little repetition.

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
Wow, I should flip all of my blue classic space figs. Last year I bought roughly 25-30 classic space guys when I went on a classic space bender. I was mostly looking for the white-colored figs, but ended up getting a shitload of blue. At the time, white figs in good condition were rarest/most expensive (and are still my favorite).

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

The wife and I bought the last AT-TE on clearance at Target last night, was hoping it would hit 70% off but they sold like 9 at 50% off in the last week so figured it was time.

Also saw the Lego Movie, we were the only two in the theater so that was pretty awesome, she cried and I felt guilty at the end. Lego really stuck it to the collector crowd with that one lol, I immediately came home and started putting random stuff on my display sets.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Caustic posted:

Wow, I should flip all of my blue classic space figs. Last year I bought roughly 25-30 classic space guys when I went on a classic space bender. I was mostly looking for the white-colored figs, but ended up getting a shitload of blue. At the time, white figs in good condition were rarest/most expensive (and are still my favorite).

Sell a few to me, I want more classic space and I promise to not resell them like a dick!

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
Don't think this has been posted here already, apologies if it has - it's a bunch of behind the scenes Lego Movie stuff. Some voice acting, and some of the animation work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC6WJ3fTUkc

UK goons: I read on a deals site that some Asdas are selling the Star Wars micro-ship sets for £2.50-£5 each (RRP £10).

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Turns out the GF is getting me the the Parisian Restaurant for my birthday :)

What should I blow my money on instead? How long until the Sopwith Camel is retired? There's a store still selling them and I'm tempted to grab two (not to speculate, but to save one for a friend's birthday).

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 27, 2014

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lizard Combatant posted:

Turns out the GF is getting me the the Parisian Restaurant for my birthday :)

What should I blow my money on instead? How long until the Sopwith Camel is retired? There's a store still selling them and I'm tempted to grab two (not to speculate, but to save one for a friend's birthday).

What kind of sets do you like?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What kind of sets do you like?

Modulars, trains, OT SW, or anything historical really. Still kicking myself that I missed Shuttle Expedition, so I'm looking at the Sopwith at the moment.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lizard Combatant posted:

Modulars, trains, OT SW, or anything historical really. Still kicking myself that I missed Shuttle Expedition, so I'm looking at the Sopwith at the moment.

All that sounds good. I'd recommend looking at some of the Indiana Jones sets too. A few of them are basically planes and cars from the 1930s.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

All that sounds good. I'd recommend looking at some of the Indiana Jones sets too. A few of them are basically planes and cars from the 1930s.

Good call, I might find the instructions online and get parts for a couple. Cheaper than buying the sets. I love the truck in the Winter Cottage set too.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I was looking at the Lavertus' Twin Blade at TRU today, and it looks like it's a pretty nifty parts pack. Several bright orange wedges and slopes, which are uncommon/unique, and 6 of the new helicopter blades, which only appeared in a large expensive set 2 years ago and in two other sets this year (one of which being a small 145 piece technic set, also with 6 blades, the other being a 1300 piece set with 6). Some nice color accents and splashes for $20; not bad.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

What's a cost effective way to get a variety of bricks so that I can build things like small space-ships, blocky robots, and that kind of thing? I can't really afford to buy several $25 sets, so I can't buy whatever I think looks cool and go from there.

I imagine I could buy a bunch of individual parts, but having not built legos since I was a kid I'm not really sure what I'd need. I just find lists of individual parts like this one: http://gizmodo.com/the-10-most-useful-lego-bricks-493088302

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 27, 2014

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Caddrel posted:

What's a cost effective way to get a variety of bricks so that I can build things like small space-ships, blocky robots, and that kind of thing? I can't really afford to buy several $25 sets, so I can't buy whatever I think looks cool and go from there.

I imagine I could buy a bunch of individual parts, but having not built legos since I was a kid I'm not really sure what I'd need. I just find lists of individual parts like this one: http://gizmodo.com/the-10-most-useful-lego-bricks-493088302

You can buy lego bricks by the pound through eBay or possibly through Craigslist. That might be the cheapest way to get them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bulk lots usually seem to have a large ratio of "lovely" bricks like 2x4's or giant plates in weird colors.

I've had good luck fleshing out my options by buying sets that have a lot of a color I want, and browsing bricklink for sellers with low prices (under 5 cents a brick).

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Shopgoodwill is awesome, just watch for lots that have cool pieces/not too much detritus. You can usually tell by the pictures. Also watch out because a few of the stores charge shipping as a percentage bid which can nail you.

I rarely pay more than $5/lb including shipping and I can recoup some costs by just keeping what I want out of the lots and selling the rest on Craigslist. I've amassed a shitload of Space sets that way.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Caddrel posted:

If you are in the USA you can check bricklink for licensed sets minus minifigures.

If you want to build robots I would recommend the new lego chima legends line they give you a bunch of joints and some decent bricks to build stuff with. Much better than the mixils for robot building.

Red_Chief
Nov 2, 2007
Went by the Lego store, they said that the movie minifigs are sold out (in their store and online) with no more being available.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Still haven't had time to collect a set, guess I better hurry.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

We had a lot of luck with local Walgreens. They had the only blindbags left when all the other stores were empty.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The end credits from the movie, if anyone was trying to reproduce something and wanted to go frame-by-frame:
http://www.artofthetitle.com/title/the-lego-movie/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

smackfu posted:

The end credits from the movie, if anyone was trying to reproduce something and wanted to go frame-by-frame:

Pretty happy with how close I got:

Microscale ships from Lego movie credits. (Ran out of trans yellow) by mrxzzy, on Flickr

Though I messed up the back end on the bigger ship, there's an inverted blue slope that I didn't catch.

I really like the hinge castle they made, I need to make one of those.

edit - curious how they claim the end credits were all "real" stop motion, but they use a 2x2 45 degree slope in trans yellow, which as far as I know Lego has never made.

double edit - looks like I was wrong, those slopes do exist I just fail at bricklink

xzzy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 27, 2014

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

smackfu posted:

Looks like the Batmobile in the credits is this one but with a different canopy.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

xzzy posted:

These new micro ships own bones, everyone should buy them.

edit - only thing I don't like is the front canopy on the tie fighter isn't fixed, it can spin freely.

Funny thing, mine had an extra piece, that blue peg thingie, and I stuck in the second opening of the piece that the canopy fits to, and it doesn't spin anymore!

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Besides Indiana Jones, modulars, and x-mas tree delivery truck, did Lego make any other good (Adventurers line does not count) minifig scale classic cars? I think the older cars fit in best with the modulars so I would like to collect or build more old cars.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

Besides Indiana Jones, modulars, and x-mas tree delivery truck, did Lego make any other good (Adventurers line does not count) minifig scale classic cars? I think the older cars fit in best with the modulars so I would like to collect or build more old cars.

You mean the 4 stud width style?

6641 is one of my favorite classic trucks. Or 6669 if you want a badass semi. 6538 is fun too.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

So this is some interesting news. Mattel is going to buy Mega Brands. I wonder what this'll mean for the future of construction toys. Or just Lego.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

xzzy posted:

You mean the 4 stud width style?

6641 is one of my favorite classic trucks. Or 6669 if you want a badass semi. 6538 is fun too.

Of course not the old 4 stud wide, I mean 6 stud wide and with a 1930s look.

Indiana Jones Shanghai Chase has a very nice 6-wide Duesenberg, and another vehicle I cant identify.
Indiana Jones race for the stolen treasure has an amazing 2 1/2 ton army truck and another WW2 German jeep like thing.
Holiday 2013 Christmas tree truck is an acceptable 6 stud wide 50s pickup (I would like it better if the cab were wider)

I mentioned the Adventurers line because they made similar vehicles but in my opinion they are simply nowhere near as good as modern Lego vehicles. The Adventurers Temple of Anubis has a 2 1/2 ton truck with an old fashioned WW2 style, but it does not have anywhere near as much detail as the Indiana Jones truck.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Neurion posted:

So this is some interesting news. Mattel is going to buy Mega Brands. I wonder what this'll mean for the future of construction toys. Or just Lego.

Wow, I had no idea Mega Brands also owned Rose Art.

It makes sense, though. As a kid you'd always be disappointed to get a lovely Rose Art craft set instead of something from, say, Crayola. Rose Art crayons were garbage. Just like kids should be disappointed to get a lovely Megabloks set instead of proper Lego. They really are the Disappointment Brand!

I'm also amused that Lego, with basically one product, was the #2 toymaker last year, beating out Hasbro, with oodles of brands and products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Pyroclastic posted:

Wow, I had no idea Mega Brands also owned Rose Art.

It makes sense, though. As a kid you'd always be disappointed to get a lovely Rose Art craft set instead of something from, say, Crayola. Rose Art crayons were garbage. Just like kids should be disappointed to get a lovely Megabloks set instead of proper Lego. They really are the Disappointment Brand!

I'm also amused that Lego, with basically one product, was the #2 toymaker last year, beating out Hasbro, with oodles of brands and products.

Also lovely Hot Wheels. Only Matchbox had strong axles that wouldn't get bent after like a week. Sadly they all are terrible these days. Didn't they make Tyco as well?