Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

This is half "where do I start" and half "help me identify."

Recently I was somewhere where someone was playing Calexico, who I don't know anything about but I loved what I heard.

I think they were playing an album straight through. It was instrumental deserty-sounding stuff, really awesome, and then in the middle there was a kind of noise track with gongs and someone was playing with a pitch shifter. So if anyone knows what album that is (if that's enough info to narrow it down), and even what track is the gong one, I'd appreciate it.

And then, is that a good album to start with? I'm open to other recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I got into Calexico from a live recording from Stockholm in 2003, found at archive.org. You can stream it there to check it out. The audio quality is phenomenal and I prefer this to any of their studio albums. It's also got their great cover of the Minutemen song Corona, Alone Again Or (Love cover), and a cover of Link Wray's Falling Rain.

My first thought of the song you're describing was Woven Birds, which is on that live recording. I don't know of any gongs though. It's just got a cool part midway where it gets kind of dreamy sounding.

https://archive.org/details/calexico2003-04-25.flac16

me your dad fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 10, 2014

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

LordPants posted:

Fear Factory
The general recommendation would be Demanufacture, and it's a good one. That said, if you want a little less 90s, you could just as well start with Archetype or The Industrialist. If you like one of those you'll probably like all three - they are pretty much peak FF, along with Obsolete, which would probably be the next logical step.

Everything else is VERY hit-or-miss aside from the first song on Transgression, which may be the best song they ever made.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the recommendations guys. 90s is fine with me.

In a similar vein, it became apparent that I've only heard Blackwater Park -> Deliverence/Damnation . Where do I start with Pre-Blackwater Park and post Damnation Opeth?

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

LordPants posted:

Pre-Blackwater Park

All of them are quite good. Orchid and Morningrise are a bit immature and don't have as slick a production as the following two, but all four are worth checking out. Since you're starting from Blackwater Park, go backwards -- start with Still Life or My Arms, Your Hearse.

I don't really like their later stuff (although Deliverance was good), maybe someone else can help with that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LordPants posted:

In a similar vein, it became apparent that I've only heard Blackwater Park -> Deliverence/Damnation . Where do I start with Pre-Blackwater Park and post Damnation Opeth?

Still Life and either Ghost Reveries or Watershed, respectively. Really just going chronologically backwards from BP and forwards from Damnation will do you fine.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

LordPants posted:

There are two ways to think about this. On one hand, a good recommendation is just stop. You've pretty much hit peak Opeth, and both forward and backward are downhill from here.

On the other hand, work your way out from that. Still Life and Ghost Reveries are the most obvious - they are the closest to that early 2000s sound, and they've got a lot of strong tracks (SL in particular - The Moor and Moonlapse Vertigo are loving amazing). Unfortunately both of those albums also have some serious weak spots - especially GR after the halfway point.

Further back, the stuff is still good but once you get into Orchid/Morningrise territory the songs get too long for themselves and have a lot of passages that just don't go anywhere. After Ghost Reveries things get really sketchy unless you're more into their soft rock angle, which gets a lot more prominent.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 16, 2014

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Fenrir posted:

There are two ways to think about this. On one hand, a good recommendation is just stop. You've pretty much hit peak Opeth, and both forward and backward are downhill from here.

On the other hand, work your way out from that. Still Life and Ghost Reveries are the most obvious - they are the closest to that early 2000s sound, and they've got a lot of strong tracks (SL in particular - The Moor and Moonlapse Vertigo are loving amazing). Unfortunately both of those albums also have some serious weak spots - especially GR after the halfway point.

Further back, the stuff is still good but once you get into Orchid/Morningrise territory the songs get too long for themselves and have a lot of passages that just don't go anywhere. After Ghost Reveries things get really sketchy unless you're more into their soft rock angle, which gets a lot more prominent.

This is everything I wanted to say.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Honestly, even if you don't like their softer stuff, Watershed is worth a listen if only for Heir Apparent and The Lotus Eater.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I have no clue where to dive in with Sun City Girls.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've heard a bit of Yeezus on the radio, where do I start With Kanye West and where do I start with Grizzly Bear.

ultrafilter posted:

This is everything I wanted to say.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, after some solid listening I decided that they weren't as good as Blackwater Park as you guys said.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

LordPants posted:

I've heard a bit of Yeezus on the radio, where do I start With Kanye West and where do I start with Grizzly Bear.

Late Registration is very accessible and has a lot of Kanye's big radio singles, but My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is his most critically acclaimed work and might be a better starting point if you got into him through Yeezus. All of his albums sound pretty different though, your best bet is to listen to a bunch of his singles and track down the albums of the ones you like the most.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

LordPants posted:

Thanks for the recommendations guys, after some solid listening I decided that they weren't as good as Blackwater Park as you guys said.

I'd recommend Yellow House or Veckatimest for Grizzly Bear. I'd actually recommend listening to the bands that they heavily borrow from but that's neither here nor there.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Declan MacManus posted:

I'd recommend Yellow House or Veckatimest for Grizzly Bear. I'd actually recommend listening to the bands that they heavily borrow from but that's neither here nor there.

Ooooh intreguing, tell me more!

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

Late Registration is very accessible and has a lot of Kanye's big radio singles, but My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is his most critically acclaimed work and might be a better starting point if you got into him through Yeezus. All of his albums sound pretty different though, your best bet is to listen to a bunch of his singles and track down the albums of the ones you like the most.

On it, thanks!

Zombiebeard
Jun 29, 2011

by astral
Where do I start with Björk? I know I liked a song off of Homogenic, but hell if I remember what it was.

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

How about Crowbar?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

How about Crowbar?

I started with Broken Glass. Seems as good a place as any, and it's still my favorite of theirs (having otherwise heard only Sonic Excess in its Purest Form and Sever the Wicked Hand).

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Zombiebeard posted:

Where do I start with Björk? I know I liked a song off of Homogenic, but hell if I remember what it was.
Bjork is difficult because she's so weird, but I'd say just start with Debut and Post. Those have her most accessible work, then she starts going in more directions at once as you go forward.

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

How about Crowbar?

Henchman of Santa posted:

I started with Broken Glass. Seems as good a place as any, and it's still my favorite of theirs (having otherwise heard only Sonic Excess in its Purest Form and Sever the Wicked Hand).
I started with the self-titled album, but for anyone getting into them now I gotta go with Santa and say Broken Glass.

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

Cool, will go with Broken Glass. Thanks guys.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Zombiebeard posted:

She's only got 7 (?) albums, and it's pretty reasonable to start with Debut and go chronologically. Bachelorette and All Is Full Of Love are the singles I immediately think of when I think Homogenic, it may be one of those.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

LordPants posted:

Ooooh intreguing, tell me more!

Radiohead's Kid A, Animal Collective, Super Furry Animals, and late 60's Beach Boys are the ones I hear the most clearly.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

How about Crowbar?

I don't know their later work so well, but their self-titled album is definitely worth listening to. You can find the full album on Youtube, so you don't even need to spend any money.

Zombiebeard
Jun 29, 2011

by astral

Fenrir posted:

Bjork is difficult because she's so weird, but I'd say just start with Debut and Post. Those have her most accessible work, then she starts going in more directions at once as you go forward.

Allen Wren posted:

She's only got 7 (?) albums, and it's pretty reasonable to start with Debut and go chronologically. Bachelorette and All Is Full Of Love are the singles I immediately think of when I think Homogenic, it may be one of those.

Start at album number 1 work my up until I'm ready to move to Iceland, got it. Thanks guys!

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
A) This thread is still going?!

B) I want to get started on grime. Hopelessly general, I know, but indulge me.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Zombiebeard posted:

Start at album number 1 work my up until I'm ready to move to Iceland, got it. Thanks guys!

I am totally jealous cuz I really, really wish I could listen to the Vespertine album for the first time all over again. It's a little slice of magic.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rubber Biscuit posted:

A) This thread is still going?!

B) I want to get started on grime. Hopelessly general, I know, but indulge me.

Dizzee Rascal, Kano, Ghetts, D Double E, and Wiley are some decent places to start.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Hmm, I finally have another one for the thread:

Where do I start with Pig?

I mean, album wise... track wise I started with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlhtW8aTw5E

I loving love this song and want more like it :allears:

Watts did like 10 albums or something with this project and I'm just dumbfounded as to where I should start with it.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 4, 2014

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Criminal Minded posted:

I have no clue where to dive in with Sun City Girls.

Torch of the Mystics is probably their best and least stupid record. After that I'd go for Grotto of Miracles and the s/t debut, 330,003 Crossdressers From Beyond the Rig Veda and the monumental Box of Chameleons.

firstyear
Sep 9, 2009
Which is the best Felt record?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Fenrir posted:

Where do I start with Pig?
I believe the song you posted is a remix, so it's not really fully representative of his style.

For his early "lock myself in a room and make an album" phase, Praise the Lard is good. Be aware that it's significantly less polished in terms of production.

Sinsation and Wrecked are my recommendations for his more modern stuff; they are like a more organic KMFDM if that makes sense.

From there on out I'm not sure... It felt to me like he got in a rut. Genuine American Monster sounds a bit tired to me so I lost interest in him.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Is any of Sting's solo work anywhere near as good as any of The Police albums? Or is it all pretty similar to the schmaltzy poo poo he put out throughout the late '90s, early 2000s?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

Is any of Sting's solo work anywhere near as good as any of The Police albums? Or is it all pretty similar to the schmaltzy poo poo he put out throughout the late '90s, early 2000s?

You might check out his first two solo records, The Dream of Blue Turtles and ... Nothing like the Sun. Both of those had some pretty solid tracks ("We'll Be Together", "Englishman in New York", and "If You Love Somebody Set Them Free." Starting at the third record in the early 90's, he starts making tracks like "All this time". Having said that Ten Summoner's Tales was a pretty big record in '93 all a lot of it became staples on schmaltzy adult rock stations.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

strap on revenge posted:

Where do I start with King Creosote? I'm on a Jon Hopkins kick at the moment and I can't get enough of his vocals on Diamond Mine. He has like 3000 albums though and I need a starting point.

e: I listened to That Might Well Be It, Darling and it didn't do much for me. Does he have any gentler solo stuff?

Anyone?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

hatelull posted:

You might check out his first two solo records, The Dream of Blue Turtles and ... Nothing like the Sun. Both of those had some pretty solid tracks ("We'll Be Together", "Englishman in New York", and "If You Love Somebody Set Them Free." Starting at the third record in the early 90's, he starts making tracks like "All this time". Having said that Ten Summoner's Tales was a pretty big record in '93 all a lot of it became staples on schmaltzy adult rock stations.

I've always felt that if you stripped out Marsalis' noodly bullshit and let Copeland rearrange Fortress Around Your Heart, it could have been the mythical next Police single after whatever the last one on Synchronicity was. (I always forget which Marsalis brother is the giant FUSION KILLED JAZZ rear end in a top hat. gently caress whichever one that was.)

Sorry, never even heard of the guy. I am a bad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Allen Wren posted:

I've always felt that if you stripped out Marsalis' noodly bullshit and let Copeland rearrange Fortress Around Your Heart, it could have been the mythical next Police single after whatever the last one on Synchronicity was. (I always forget which Marsalis brother is the giant FUSION KILLED JAZZ rear end in a top hat. gently caress whichever one that was.)

I believe that was Wynton Marsalis (plays trumpet).

I remember watching Ken Russell's Jazz series (I was studying jazz in school at the time), where he was one of the main consultants, and I'm fairly sure it basically stops with Kind of Blue, briefly alludes to what guys like Coleman were doing with progressive and free styles, then jumps over just about everything that happened in the 1970s to conclude with a chapter on how Wynyton Marsalis is the leading exponent of true jazz today.

Branford Marsalis (plays saxophone) was the one who played with Sting. He also played on a Public Enemy track (it might have been "Fight the Power").

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 29, 2014

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

I believe that was Wynton Marsalis (plays trumpet).

I remember watching Ken Russell's Jazz series (I was studying jazz in school at the time), where he was one of the main consultants, and I'm fairly sure it basically stops with Kind of Blue, briefly alludes to what guys like Coleman were doing with progressive and free styles, then jumps over just about everything that happened in the 1970s to conclude with a chapter on how Wynyton Marsalis is the leading exponent of true jazz today.

Branford Marsalis (plays saxophone) was the one who played with Sting. He also played on a Public Enemy track (it might have been "Fight the Power").

Oh, alright, then. Branford is alright by me, especially with the PE connection. I still think he's a bit out of place on Fortress, but it's not hatred-worthy.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

How about Bonnie Raitt? I totally adore her version of "Angel From Montgomery", but don't really care for "Something to Talk About"...and that's pretty much all I know about her, which seems kind of a shame.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wynton - proponent of "Chamber Jazz" thinks Jazz died in the 1960s.

Branford - Loves the poo poo out of Coltrane, played with Public Enemy and used to jam with the Grateful Dead (It was amazing)

hatelull posted:

Having said that Ten Summoner's Tales was a pretty big record in '93 all a lot of it became staples on schmaltzy adult rock stations.

Ten Summoner's tales is worth the listen, only because he just pulls every trick out of the schmaltzy Soft-Rock playbook. That keychange at the of "If I Ever Lose My Faith In You" is just amazing.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Where do I go with Beach Boys beyond Pet Sounds and Smile Sessions? Obviously I know a lot of their singles/hits but don't really know any of their albums besides those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Joose Caboose posted:

Where do I go with Beach Boys beyond Pet Sounds and Smile Sessions? Obviously I know a lot of their singles/hits but don't really know any of their albums besides those.

It depends on which Beach Boys you want to experience. There are a lot of changes.

If you like the experimentalness of Smile, go forward. Smiley Smile isn't nearly as good as the Smile material, but there are a lot of Smile tracks. 20/20 has the "finished" version of Cabinessence and Our Prayer. The material wraps up on Surf's Up, which is a big mess of an album - there's an environmental theme mixed in and it's bad (Lookin' at Tomorrow is a guilty favorite, though), but outside of Surf's Up, you get Long Promised Road, Feel Flows and 'Til I Die, which is one of their best tracks ever.

I also might suggest Brian Wilson's solo release of Smile from 2004. Wilson's solo material is a very mixed bag, but it's probably his best.

If you prefer Pet Sounds, go back a bit to Today, which is the most similar to it. Kiss Me, Baby, I'm So Young, She Knows Me Too Well are great and you get the first really nice Dennis Wilson lead on In the Back of My Mind. Summer Days (And Summer Nights) was the last full blown album before Pet Sounds, but it's a bit of a step back. Not bad, though, especially for Let Him Run Wild.

Brian Wilson was in charge pretty much from day one, but you're not going to find a full album of good stuff before Today. Post-Pet Sounds, the next closest album in sound is Holland, which shockingly had very little help from Brian Wilson. Friends has plenty of instrumentation, but it's peaceful compared to Pet Sounds and it's short, something like 25 minutes long. The material's not nearly as complex, too.

Sunflower and Wild Honey are also good, but sound different. They're louder, with Wild Honey about as far away from the orchestration of Pet Sounds as you can get. It does contain Wild Honey, Darlin' and I'd Love Just Once to See You (don't read about it before you hear it).

The earliest days have a lot of filler and are filled to the brim about cars and surfing. You get an occasional gem, such as Lonely Sea, No-Go Showboat, The Warmth of the Sun, Don't Worry Baby and Surfer Girl, but there is a lot of crap. All Summer Long is probably the best of everything before Today.

Post-Pet Sounds? A lot of people like Carl and the Passions: So Tough, but I'm not one of them. Love You is a strange, strange album which you have to work up to. It's quirky and cheezy and will either charm you or give you the creeps.

Avoid 15 Big Ones and even I'm too scared to venture beyond Love You. Love You was the last significant Brian Wilson contribution and the whole band falls into drug abuse and/or a vast array of personal problems.

As for the medium: Vinyl is probably best. Even the early stuff sounds good. There's just an issue of finding it in good shape. I do not recommend the vinyl 2-for re-releases in the 1970s. I have Friends/Smiley Smile and it's way too quiet.

The whole catalog was released on 2-for CDs in the early 1990s. They're not the best mixes, but they're best value and have good liner notes. You also get a good array as you get Smiley Smile and Wild Honey together and Friends and 20/20, etc.

Other releases: Good Vibrations box set. Most of the stuff on it is on the albums, but there are a few rarities that I don't think have popped up elsewhere, like San Miguel. Endless Harmony soundtrack is slightly recommended. Pet Sounds Sessions is another box set. I own it, but have never made my way fully through it.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 31, 2014