Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The worst thing Square ever did was the FF7 Tech Demo, because they knew they were never planning to make anything of it and didn't realize for whatever reason that fans would proceed to bug them for years on end for full on remakes of their old FF games. I have to honestly commend Square for not doing the easy thing there and just making full remakes for all of their games (It was only 3 and 4, surprisingly) despite that being the easiest money they could possibly make, especially for FF7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The worst thing Square ever did was the FF7 Tech Demo, because they knew they were never planning to make anything of it and didn't realize for whatever reason that fans would proceed to bug them for years on end for full on remakes of their old FF games. I have to honestly commend Square for not doing the easy thing there and just making full remakes for all of their games (It was only 3 and 4, surprisingly) despite that being the easiest money they could possibly make, especially for FF7.

Given how incredibly bad and buggy the FF6 release for Android/iPhone looks I think we should be glad FF7 won't get that treatment.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Except SE has assured us it would take at least 10 years to remake FF7. Idiots.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: Yeah, I don't know what they're on, but holy gently caress, what is wrong with them thinking it would take a decade to remake VII!?

I honestly surprised they haven't attempted to do a 3D version VI yet; just the SNES ports, and that IOS thing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schwartzcough posted:

Except SE has assured us it would take at least 10 years to remake FF7. Idiots.
To be fair, it took them like ten years to completely finish FF13 :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vil posted:

What I dislike most about the Pyramid is that - due to my self-imposed "try to keep everyone relatively equal" - I basically skip everything the first time and then have to make a second trip with Lenna to actually loot the place.

What sucks is that Lenna was given the role of combination Black/White Mage throughout most of my game and now I have to get through it without her. I'll try making one of the other girls a Bard or something to deal with those rear end in a top hat "The Damned" enemies that guard every loving chest. Why make an enemy undead if they are resistant to fire and immune to Death-by-Phoenix-Down? :arghfist::(

Fedule posted:

Nah, none of that does anything. The only things that change the ending are the Hammer and the Save the Queen.

Huh. I always thought that was a dumb rumor. What changes do those items do to the ending?

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The worst thing Square ever did was the FF7 Tech Demo

The worst thing for fans of the game, yeah, but I bet Sony was pretty glad they did it :v:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Huh. I always thought that was a dumb rumor. What changes do those items do to the ending?

If I recall (it's been a long time), Hammer gets you an extra scene in the play, and Save the Queen gets you an extra scene with Beatrix.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

The worst thing for fans of the game, yeah, but I bet Sony was pretty glad they did it :v:

Yep, it was the last time people could significantly be said to give a poo poo about JRPGs on a mass scale.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't know where the notion that it even needs a remake comes from. Sure it looks like absolute rear end, but so do many other games of theirs now that 3D graphics have progressed a bunch. Take Xenogears. That thing looks like rear end and is unfinished basically, that's more in need of a remake, and even that doesn't need it.

The remake of FF7 is a poisoned chalice anyway. If they stay faithful, they'll be informed that they've not done anything to make it a worthwhile remake, so it's stale. If they change things, it's different and not faithful, so it sucks for the people they're doing it for. It wouldn't take 10 years, but is it worth the time, money and effort to re-make it? I doubt it. They need to keep making new products, even if they're sequels no one asked for like Lightning Returns.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you think an FF7 full on remake would not do gangbusters you are crazy. That is still the most well known and highly regarded JRPG ever made.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vil posted:

If I recall (it's been a long time), Hammer gets you an extra scene in the play, and Save the Queen gets you an extra scene with Beatrix.
There's no extra scene with Beatrix (all her scenes always play), but having the Hammer or the Save the Queen gives you an extra scene during the play--I think it's the one where you see King Leo kill Blank in return for kidnapping his daughter for him.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

If you think an FF7 full on remake would not do gangbusters you are crazy. That is still the most well known and highly regarded JRPG ever made.
Hell, if it was an exclusive, SE could probably get some funding from the company they make exclusivity rights with, too. It'd be a system-mover.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

I find this image particularly amusing because the only train left in Hawaii is an old sugar cane engine that's been converted into a tourist trap that loops around a track with no stops.

Can I reenact the train heist from FF8?

e: poo poo wait, that requires two trains.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It would do terrrrrrrribly. Not only has the market in general for that shrunk significantly the target audience is "people who have already played this game for 40-50 hours" so its not like their all lining up to play it again. Games are expensive enough as is to waste time remaking something that has no market.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sex_Ferguson posted:

And if it sucked? What's that do for the future of the series? It's readily apparent that FF7 being remade would make a poo poo tonne of money, but it's not like it's a given they can even pull it off well. It'd also cost a poo poo tonne of money in development costs and advertising. The reason that long and varied games environmentally like FF7 don't get made any more is because they take a lot longer to make than they used to and it costs more. 10 years isn't a realistic estimate, but it'd be 3 years at least.

If they can't even get a rehash of FF7 right, they've got no chance of inspiring faith that they can get other FF games right in the future either, which is in their better interests. It's best off left as it is now.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 27, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

Not only has the market in general for that shrunk significantly the target audience is "people who have already played this game for 40-50 hours"
I've seen meth-addled immigrants who barely speak English get crazy excited over the release of a new Final Fantasy game. It's a surprisingly easy sell.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

The White Dragon posted:

It'd be a system-mover.

Barudak posted:

It would do terrrrrrrribly.
I love this thread.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Barudak posted:

It would do terrrrrrrribly. Not only has the market in general for that shrunk significantly the target audience is "people who have already played this game for 40-50 hours" so its not like their all lining up to play it again. Games are expensive enough as is to waste time remaking something that has no market.

Are you kidding me? There are a large number of people out there who would totally put their money towards a full on remake of FF7, there are people still begging for it and they are not a niche audience either. The market has shrunk since that tech demo for sure, but that game still has the power to move units.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

There's no extra scene with Beatrix (all her scenes always play), but having the Hammer or the Save the Queen gives you an extra scene during the play--I think it's the one where you see King Leo kill Blank in return for kidnapping his daughter for him.

Oh, so you get that "Save the Queen, you have served me well" snippet regardless then?

A bit of forum-searching on GameFAQs is giving more of a "Save the Queen does gently caress-all, Hammer does add that one scene" impression though. If you could trigger the scene with Save the Queen too, that'd be nice since it'd free up the Hammer to make Tin Armor.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Sex_Ferguson posted:

There are a large number of people out there who would totally put their money towards a full on remake of FF7
Square-Enix needs to get on this whole Kickstarter thing. If the people want it, let them fund it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Aurain posted:

And if it sucked? What's that do for the future of the series? It's readily apparent that FF7 being remade would make a poo poo tonne of money, but it's not like it's a given they can even pull it off well.

If they can't even get a rehash of FF7 right, they've got no chance of inspiring faith that they can get other FF games right in the future, which is in their better interests. It's best off left as it is now.

What does any of that have to do with anything I said? Like I agree with the fact that Square should leave it the gently caress alone, I'm not saying I want FF7 the remake, I'm saying that realistically it would do mad money. I'm not saying they'd do it justice, but the fact is it would definitely make money was my point. I think Square themselves fully understand what a game like that means for their series.

EDIT: Hold on you edited your post to have more stuff.

quote:

It'd also cost a poo poo tonne of money in development costs and advertising. The reason that long and varied games environmentally like FF7 don't get made any more is because they take a lot longer to make than they used to and it costs more. 10 years isn't a realistic estimate, but it'd be 3 years at least.

It would definitely cost a lot to make, but I believe they could make it all back and more. FF7 is a game with a lot of moving power still, I definitely think they need to leave it alone though and only bring it out for cameos and whatnot.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 27, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Final Fantasy 7 would MAYBE sell well. It's initial success is because a lot of people who wouldn't normally play Final Fantasy games bought into the slick marketing and hype, and it was a breakout hit. The series has steadily lost that breakout status, and the remake may well be ignored by original, more casual fans who have long since cooled on the series. You'd need some really good marketing, and if you're going to be planning a solid marketing campaign for a remake, why not just take those resources towards making a new installment?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If they were to remake FF7 on a console, they would feel pressured to make it look like Advent Children, which would be very expensive and make all the goofy parts really awkward. It would also certainly suffer from the company's chronic mismanagement. Ten years seems like a reasonable estimate, given all that.

If they were to remake it on a handheld, on the other hand, they could be confident that the market would tolerate a visual style that can incorporate its tonal inconsistencies. However, it could never be a megahit on Vita, and they might have an arrangement with Sony that would make it impractical to release on 3DS.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Armor-Piercing posted:

Square-Enix needs to get on this whole Kickstarter thing. If the people want it, let them fund it.

This is even less likely than Square making it, Japanese game devs do not like Kickstarter.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I feel that a remake for FF7 can only be done in one way. Replace all of the polygons with Mother 3-style sprites and release it exclusively for Wii U.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They could theoretically raise Star Citizen levels of money on Kickstarter and it might not be enough to convince Square-Enix to take the plunge and go ahead with the project. Besides, they've got XV and KH3 coming up as their huge future releases and as important as money is, human resources are just as important for actual development.
For as long as those games are in the oven, and they've supposedly said that XV may get direct sequels to further tie the guys on that game up, they'd have to slow down the other projects to get that one out. Making it concurrently with other entries likely isn't feasible on that level too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aurain posted:

They could theoretically raise Star Citizen levels of money on Kickstarter and it might not be enough to convince Square-Enix to take the plunge and go ahead with the project. Besides, they've got XV and KH3 coming up as their huge future releases and as important as money is, human resources are just as important for actual development.
For as long as those games are in the oven, and they've supposedly said that XV may get direct sequels to further tie the guys on that game up, they'd have to slow down the other projects to get that one out. Making it concurrently with other entries likely isn't feasible on that level too.

$2 million on kickstarter would probably not cover the voice acting costs let alone anything else.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
They'd probably need $1 million just to make a rock.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Bongo Bill posted:

If they were to remake FF7 on a console, they would feel pressured to make it look like Advent Children, which would be very expensive and make all the goofy parts really awkward.

But think of the whole Wall Market section in the Advent Children style. It would be glorious. :allears:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

CottonWolf posted:

But think of the whole Wall Market section in the Advent Children style. It would be glorious. :allears:

If they use the original script (cleaned up a bit, but not rewritten) and feature an HD model of Cloud in drag that can be worn throughout the game, even in cutscenes, I'd buy the game midnight release.

VVVVV--- Did cross-dressing somehow become not funny in the past ten years?

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 27, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Unfortunately, too much of their target audience wouldn't understand that there's even a joke there to get.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

What I don't understand is how Square Enix was able to make thousands of detailed background images and CGI cutscenes in the mid-90s using what were state-of-the-art computers, but doing that again with modern tools and software would be impossible. I know that the original files have all been lost, but if they were able to make them almost 20 years ago then they could certainly remake them today.

Sure, those scenes were only pre-rendered in the original game, and only seen from a single angle, but it's still just about creating a 3D environment. The only difference is that consoles are now powerful enough to use them in real-time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

Sure, those scenes were only pre-rendered in the original game, and only seen from a single angle, but it's still just about creating a 3D environment. The only difference is that consoles are now powerful enough to use them in real-time.

Pre-rendered stuff is infinitely cheaper and easier to make than 3D environments. "Just about creating a 3D environment" is not it at all. It's an entirely different level of work and effort. 3D environments that look good in pre-rendered environments also don't necessarily work for full 3D gameplay. Nibelheim for example is just a big empty square and a few houses close together which would be terrible to explore and feel cramped and small. You can see this in Crisis Core which tried to keep the layouts as close to the same as possible. (And was very cramped and small but that worked to the PSP's strengths but would get rightfully railed on with a modern console.)

vs

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 27, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Pre-rendered stuff is infinitely cheaper and easier to make than 3D environments. "Just about creating a 3D environment" is not it at all. It's an entirely different level of work and effort.
Didn't someone post a picture of a fantastic looking modern pre-rendered game? I'd be down for that.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The only substantive change they should make is adding the Chocobo Hot & Cold sidequest to FF7, so you have something more to do with your multi-colored chocobos than getting a single materia each.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

Didn't someone post a picture of a fantastic looking modern pre-rendered game? I'd be down for that.

I would too but it would get slammed hard. Some reviewers even slammed Bravely Default for its (really lovely) pre-rendered background towns even though it was a 3DS game. It would be seen as lazy, low-budget, and get people angry even though it would probably objectively be the best way to handle a FF7 remake.

I mean don't get me wrong here. I think a FF7 remake that was basically "FF7 HD" would be the ideal outcome here but when people saw the FF7 PS3 trailer, that is the kind of thing they were expecting for the entire game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 27, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pesky Splinter posted:

Now I'm hurting for a IX HD remake. :negative:

Or even just doing something like this to the character models:

Original:

Retextured low poly models.

I just want Zidane and co in straw hats...is that so much to ask SE? :smith:

This reminds me, if they do ever remake FFIX they should just erase Aramant from existence and put Lani into the party. She has actual lines, interacts with the party, a personality that could fit in and/or conflict with the rest of the party, and it'd be super easy to justify her swapping sides like The Blue Man does! She's Brash, she's tough, she's underhanded! She's like a bizarro Zidane.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 27, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This reminds me, if they do ever remake FFIX they should just erase Aramant from existence and put Lani into the party. She has actual lines, interacts with the party, a personality that could fit in and/or conflict with the rest of the party, and it'd be super easy to justify her swapping sides like The Blue Man does! She's Brash, she's tough, she's underhanded! She's like a bizarro Zidane.

He's not "The Blue Man", he's The Flaming Amarant. :colbert:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

This is funny, considering one of the reasons they didn't remake FF7 and kept shying away from games with massive settings like Midgar is because of the huge amount of effort they considered the endeavor to require with modern graphics.

Give how long FF13 took I'm willing to accept this excuse from them.

Bongo Bill posted:

If they were to remake FF7 on a console, they would feel pressured to make it look like Advent Children, which would be very expensive and make all the goofy parts really awkward. It would also certainly suffer from the company's chronic mismanagement. Ten years seems like a reasonable estimate, given all that.

If they were to remake it on a handheld, on the other hand, they could be confident that the market would tolerate a visual style that can incorporate its tonal inconsistencies. However, it could never be a megahit on Vita, and they might have an arrangement with Sony that would make it impractical to release on 3DS.

All the characters would be rewritten to their current incarnations too. Cloud would be mopey emo guy from start to finish and that'd be the end of it.

Aurain posted:

Star Citizen's kickstarter amount is a fraction of 360/PS3 AAA game budgets. If they got 20 million in crowd funding it still wouldn't come anywhere close to enough. Game development for major titles is obscenely expensive and it's how a game can move 1.5-2 million units at $50 a pop and still be a loss for the company making it.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Sex_Ferguson posted:

This is even less likely than Square making it, Japanese game devs do not like Kickstarter.

Not exactly true -- it's just that Kickstarter doesn't allow most Japanese payment methods/domestic Japanese companies access to project creation. It's a nightmare to deal with for Japanese companies on an economic perspective.

I worked with a Japanese company on their kickstarter and while I didn't deal with the money or the project backing it was a big enough deal that even I heard about it.

Long story short, the economics of a Final Fantasy VII remake would be ridiculous. Even if you were to ignore that, Final Fantasy VII is very different in tone to even Advent Children, and game design wise it's just archaic (not a quality statement) compared to what is being released currently, which would make it difficult to market outside of the audience that would re-buy the game. No matter how high those numbers are, Square would still want to get new buyers. Look at Tomb Raider's sales predictions to see how crazy SE is with expectations on rebooted properties.

Plus, there are better Final Fantasies to remake than VII. IX says hello. :colbert:

Edited for unintentional brag.

laplace fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

laplace posted:

Look at Tomb Raider's sales predictions to see how crazy SE is with expectations on rebooted properties.

Tomb Raider and its brethren aren't helped by the fact that Square apparently doesn't factor digital downloads into sales figures (especially since Sleeping Dogs was ONLY released on PC digitally).