Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment
I know Needle Reimu is the more popular choice, but I don't seem to do well with her in either EoSD or PCB. I'll have to give her another try. I had been relying on homing bullets for the parts of the stage where fairies drop onto opposite sides of the screen to attack. I hadn't thought to just stream all those bullets aimed at me. I'm playing Touhou again for the first time in a while, so sometimes I forget to try basic things. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Stage 3 has a lot of the best Touhous. Meiling, Alice, Yuugi, Yoshika, and Unzan.

You forgot Nitori :livintrope:
It feels good to get that out of my system.

dranxis posted:

I know Needle Reimu is the more popular choice, but I don't seem to do well with her in either EoSD or PCB. I'll have to give her another try. I had been relying on homing bullets for the parts of the stage where fairies drop onto opposite sides of the screen to attack. I hadn't thought to just stream all those bullets aimed at me. I'm playing Touhou again for the first time in a while, so sometimes I forget to try basic things. :downs:
In that part, I just stick to one side, and stream the bullets vertically. I have trouble with the red bullets near the end, but it's much easier than trying to control both sides of the screen.

I need to play more games, but midterms :(

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

HMS Boromir posted:

It's Seija. Have you not played DDC? She's the best thing to happen to Touhou in years.

Unfortunately it's the shittiest Touhou game in years, so...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Anything after PoFV is an abomination (except Parsee)

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Namtab posted:

Anything after PoFV is an abomination (except Parsee)

UFO for me. :smugdog:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Volt Catfish posted:

Unfortunately it's the shittiest Touhou game in years, so...

I've seen a lot of wrong opinions in my years and they don't come much wronger than this.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

HMS Boromir posted:

I've seen a lot of wrong opinions in my years and they don't come much wronger than this.

Yes, everyone knows that TD is the shittiest Touhou game in recent memory. Also, HM was released half-finished.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I just found this incredibly awesome video of a 3D danmaku battle between Yuyuko and Reimu and I don't think its been posted yet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Zwrx9a9Lo

The creator also made videos of Marisa vs Flandre and Reimu vs Remilia which are just as good.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
10th Japanese touhou wiki character poll is up until March 1st

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I just found this incredibly awesome video of a 3D danmaku battle between Yuyuko and Reimu and I don't think its been posted yet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Zwrx9a9Lo

The creator also made videos of Marisa vs Flandre and Reimu vs Remilia which are just as good.

I think I've seen the Marisa vs Flandre one but I can appreciate this one so much more since I can actually recognize the patterns. I just don't enjoy EoSD as much as the others.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Get ready for another Reimu/Septette sweep. :getin:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

What, is every Touhou now the worst Touhou?

(but gently caress that 'cause Subterranean Animism still has the highest concentration of awesome characters)

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Zun, I hate you for the colour schemes you chose on Mystic Square stage 2 and 4.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Any Japanese-reading goons give a guide on how to work the site? I'd like to contribute my meaningless vote to Satori/Heartful Fancy.

VVV Thanks very much :D

e: MUSIC! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfIlQl7bkjo

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 27, 2014

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Aliginge posted:

Any Japanese-reading goons give a guide on how to work the site? I'd like to contribute my meaningless vote to Satori/Heartful Fancy.

Enter your email address in the box to the right of 送信先メールアドレス to register. You'll get an email with a series of random number/letters in it - that is your voter ID.

A little over halfway down the page, there's a table with a red, green, and orange row.
キャラ部門: Character poll
音楽部門: Music poll
投票者アンケート: Voter Questionaire

Character poll:
First box is voter ID.
Second box is Name.
The next 5 sections each give you a dropdown to select your favorite characters, followed by a box to leave an optional comment about it. Satori is 古明地さとり. They're organized by game; category will be 東方地霊殿
The first section filled out gives 2 points to that character, the next four each give 1 point to the selected character. Duplicate selections not allowed.

Music poll works the same way, but there are seven sections, worth 1 point each. Organized by game again; SA is 東方地霊殿 and Heartfelt Fancy is ハートフェルトファンシー.

Questionaire:
1. Gender (Unspecified, Male, Female) and Age

2. Touhou games you have played

3. Touhou games you have 1CC'd (Dropdown for difficulty, Dropdown for fail/clear Extra, early games omitted)

4. Most commonly used character (HM and DDC only)

5. How much you value the games (HM and DDC only, and only if you own them, text box is a comment field)

6. When you first got into touhou

7. Subscribed/owned written works

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 27, 2014

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mazed posted:

What, is every Touhou now the worst Touhou?

(but gently caress that 'cause Subterranean Animism still has the highest concentration of awesome characters)

Speaking of, can you tell me what google translates Okuu into?

EDIT: nvm figured it out.

On another subject, can someone summarize the story of Double Dealing Character?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 28, 2014

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Seija tricks Shinmyoumaru into unleashing the power of an ancient artifact, which grants the Tsukumos/Raiko life, riles up the other youkai and turns the protagonists' weapons into tsukumogami. The goal of this is to trigger an uprising of the weaker youkai to overthrow the stronger ones. Protagonists fly around beating up the rampaging youkai as usual.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
In other words, a youkai actually DID try to conquer Gensokyo for once. It went as well as expected.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It was a revolution by the 99%, Reimu beats them down because she's the 1%.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Also, in the end Reimu actually locks Shinmyoumaru up, takes her hammer and does not have tea with her.

I wonder if there is any art of Shinmyoumaru waving a "Don't Tread On Me" flag around. Probably too esoteric for Japan, but maybe an American artist has done something.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
DDC has the best plot because on the A paths, Marisa and Sakuya end up getting kind of possessed by their weapons, leading to Marisa having no idea why she's even there (she literally just fights Shinmyoumaru because she had the Miracle Mallet) and Sakuya stopping a recruitment speech to explain she kind of just ended up in stage 6. Reimu? Not only is she in full control of her gohei, Shinmyoumaru notes that it's actually really happy that it's being used so much.

Reimu is more bloodthirsty than her possessed weapon.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

DDC is the best game since Imperishable Night, which is the best game. Objective facts all up in this post.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Potsticker posted:

DDC is the best game since Imperishable Night, which is the best game. Objective facts all up in this post.

Every game before MoF is the best game. :v:

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Oh man,if I had known those Mexican Touhou vids were new content I would have posted them. "I will twerk you as Pancho Villa did" is one of the most amazing Touhou fandom translations.

And I'm kind of surprised the Seija = Ryuko thing isn't pushed harder by fanartists. :livintrope:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

DDC has the best plot because on the A paths, Marisa and Sakuya end up getting kind of possessed by their weapons, leading to Marisa having no idea why she's even there (she literally just fights Shinmyoumaru because she had the Miracle Mallet) and Sakuya stopping a recruitment speech to explain she kind of just ended up in stage 6. Reimu? Not only is she in full control of her gohei, Shinmyoumaru notes that it's actually really happy that it's being used so much.

Reimu is more bloodthirsty than her possessed weapon.

I lost track of the times Reimu straight up said she's attacking people for no reason whatsoever throughout the games.

Also I'm starting to feel I'm the only one who prefers the games since MoF over the games before MoF. That or all y'all are girl-shmup hipsters.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kheldragar posted:

Every game before MoF is the best game. :v:

Well, that's easy since MoF is really bad!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Also I'm starting to feel I'm the only one who prefers the games since MoF over the games before MoF. That or all y'all are girl-shmup hipsters.

Subterranean Animism is my favorite game in the series, and overall I think they've been improving. TD was just a misstep.

Also, the real hipsters always talk about how it's been crap since the switch from PC-98 to Windows.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
PCB is still my favorite just because of how much time I've spent playing it, but DDC is probably my second favorite.

UFO sucks though. :livintrope:

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I'm poo poo at the games but SA is the best because music.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

My opinions are probably bad and wrong, but DDC is a step in the right direction again, since UFO and TD weren't as good as SA (which is the best Touhou game)

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

SA gives me my most favourite charcter and theme(s). I wish it was made IN/PCB/EOSD style.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Potsticker posted:

Well, that's easy since MoF is really bad!

You remind me of somebody else. He was also a man with really bad Touhou opinions...

The best graphics. The best music. The best patterns. How can you say no?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

You remind me of somebody else. He was also a man with really bad Touhou opinions...

The worst game design. :colbert: And by game design I mean power for bombs and continue from the start (because I'm a scrub) is retarded.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Also Faith is really punishing and unfun as a scoring mechanic but that might just be me.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment
MoF is the only main Touhou game I've never finished on any difficulty. The bombs and power thing is pretty lame and the continue system is discouraging. I do like the graphics, characters and music though. SA is also my favorite game, despite the fact that it uses the same continue system.

Really though, I'm easy to please when it comes to Touhou games. My only complaint about the recent games is that the plot of TD was the same as UFO's plot. I actually find TD pretty fun although I can understand people's criticisms of it.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

HMS Boromir posted:

Also Faith is really punishing and unfun as a scoring mechanic but that might just be me.

Faith barely even deserves to be called a mechanic to be honest. It's just checking to see if you remember when the breakpoints are or not, like PCB except without all the things that make PCB's scoring really interesting.

On the other hand I like DDC's mechanic, which is just to kill yourself going for huge item drops since that's what I do every game anyway and it's nice to at least feel rewarded for it.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
I think the only mechanic I've outright hated from any of the games was the way that TD handled life and bomb pick ups, I really hate having to run right up to the bosses sprite whenever I finish a spell card. I'd rather have the pick up come down to me.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
DDC's extra life/bomb/scoring mechanic is so intuitive that I find myself doing it in other games out of habit.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

ProfessorProf posted:

DDC's extra life/bomb/scoring mechanic is so intuitive that I find myself doing it in other games out of habit.

You should have been doing that anyway, since DDC's gimmick is just using the point of collection like normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Volt Catfish posted:

The most boring mechanics. If playing the game isn't fun, what use is the other stuff?