Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Final Fantasy VII just has a ton of problems which, even with a theoretically infinite budget, would make it a mess to redo.

A good half of their audience played a badly translated borderline-incoherent version of the game. This, combined with the general age of the player and the early days of the internet, lead to a lot of people having memories of the game that don't mesh up with reality. So by its nature the remake would be pandering to people who don't actually want a straight refined remake of the game.

It also is really a relic of its time. It contains a lot of things which would be pretty fuckin' weird. Can you imagine the clickbait articles about "popular remake contains threatened beastiality rape, offensive homosexual stereotypes, and crossdressing!" The fact that that stuff existed in FFVII by default ain't gonna matter because it was tiny sprite mans with no detail, incoherent dialogue and no voice acting.

And that is discounting just how goofy a game it is. If done in a realistic style that poo poo is going to clash no matter what you do because one of your characters is a wacky cat riding a giant plush Moogle. Even AC/DoC exclude the Moogle because that poo poo clashes like you wouldn't believe. And the cat/moogle has a tragic death scene. Would you play that for comedy? Try to play it seriously? Hope the ironic juxtaposition manages to not make it one of the most cringe-inducing scenes ever as Cait-Sith's voice actor struggles to sound maudlin in a horrible faux Scottish accent? Even if you cut all the wacky minigames and stuff out, there's still stuff like that which would require you to either rewrite the plot or try to play insane scenes like that straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

And the cat/moogle has a tragic death scene. Would you play that for comedy? Try to play it seriously? Hope the ironic juxtaposition manages to not make it one of the most cringe-inducing scenes ever as Cait-Sith's voice actor struggles to sound maudlin in a horrible faux Scottish accent? Even if you cut all the wacky minigames and stuff out, there's still stuff like that which would require you to either rewrite the plot or try to play insane scenes like that straight.
You're right, it probably wouldn't work with voice acting. It's easy to fake it straight by injecting a soundtrack--they played it pretty straight in the original, and I think they even played the gondola date track--but if the director is telling you to chop an onion poorly to help get into character, well... everyone knows all about SE's voice directors.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

You're right, it probably wouldn't work with voice acting. It's easy to fake it straight by injecting a soundtrack--they played it pretty straight in the original, and I think they even played the gondola date track--but if the director is telling you to chop an onion poorly to help get into character, well... everyone knows all about SE's voice directors.

It worked (for certain degrees of worked) in the original I think largely because everything was simple and cartoonish and the script was basic enough that this goofy little Moogle-thing basically seemed on-par with the rest of your characters. I think maybe you could make it work if FFVII was a heavily-stylized game. Instead of focusing on photorealism you focus on making it stand out. Cartoon-style or painted or something besides photorealisim. (Also a better voice acting director.) Unfortunate FF has banked hard on realism being its thing.

I wonder how different a position they'd be in if they had decided to go for a cell-shaded cartoony look for FFXIII like they originally considered instead of what they did.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 28, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder how different a position they'd be in if they had decided to go for a cell-shaded cartoony look for FFXIII like they originally considered instead of what they did.
Good god, can you imagine the nerdrage? It'd be a million times worse than the Windwaker stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Good god, can you imagine the nerdrage? It'd be a million times worse than the Windwaker stuff.

It's a bit depressing to me because in my mind the older FF games were all very cartoony. I never pictured them as realistic. They were very exaggerated and stretchy and 'realism' was the furthest thing from my mind. Everything about modern FF games would be easier for me to tolerate if they were designed more in the style of even modern CG animated movies. Hell, they work with Disney for Christ's Sake. A Final Fantasy game that was even as stylized as Frozen would be a huge step up from Everything Is The Most Real Anime.

I mean just as an example and discounting anything else about the designs.:

This is not a dude I can having wacky adventures with a giant anthropomorphic Moogle.

This guy is.

And that's the low-effort "convert the real Anime into a Kingdom Hearts style" thing they did. Imagine real art direction tied to that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 28, 2014

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Speaking of remakes, after finishing the FFVI remake on Android, I recently started the FFIV remake. The difference is incredible - though I'm only an hour in, I can really feel the love and effort that has gone into this remake. I realise that it was originally a DS game, so probably had a greater budget for a more comprehensive overhaul, but wow. It's a remake that actually enhances the original (so far, at least - please tell me it doesn't poo poo the bed later on). By contrast, the FFVI remake was positively joyless.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ozza posted:

Speaking of remakes, after finishing the FFVI remake on Android, I recently started the FFIV remake. The difference is incredible - though I'm only an hour in, I can really feel the love and effort that has gone into this remake. I realise that it was originally a DS game, so probably had a greater budget for a more comprehensive overhaul, but wow. It's a remake that actually enhances the original (so far, at least - please tell me it doesn't poo poo the bed later on). By contrast, the FFVI remake was positively joyless.

Some people don't like the difficulty curve. I think it's the best version of the game myself but YMMV.

There is an Augments system which gives you incredibly powerful moves but is a little obtuse. If you give Augments you get to characters who permanently leave the party, they'll drop more powerful Augments when they leave. (Or in one case, you have to go and talk to someone to get them.) Just keep that in mind. Generally you need to give them two augments to get their super-augment and otherwise you get their custom abilities. This is a sticking point for people so it is worth mentioning. The exception is Palom and Porom who need 3 augments between them and you need to go and talk to the Old Man at their home town after they stone themselves.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 28, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FFIV has some design decisions that people either like or don't like but either way it's a huge step up from 'the same game only the sprites are poo poo and it crashes halfway through.'

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Endorph posted:

FFIV has some design decisions that people either like or don't like but either way it's a huge step up from 'the same game only the sprites are poo poo and it crashes halfway through.'

Best description of FFVI yet. And thanks for the advice ImpAtom, that seems useful to know.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

And that's the low-effort "convert the real Anime into a Kingdom Hearts style" thing they did. Imagine real art direction tied to that.

God imagine if they when back to the 'cutesy' style they had in FF9 but with a modern engine. SE I know you've got it in you, come on!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Does anyone have some tips for the desert area boss in Lightning Returns? The one you fight before Fang leaves your party? I managed to pull through after some grinding but it took 10 minutes. I'm using magic it's weak against, managed to double stun it a couple of times, and tried my best to get timing bonuses, but it still kicked my rear end and I had to waste all my EP and healing items.

And is there ever any reason to use the slow-sown abilitiy in battle? It seems like a waste of 2 EP. I used it during the boss fight after I had stun it once but I would have been better off using the EP on a Curaga instead.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 28, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

^
There's a LR:FFXIII thread but the jist of the game is stagger, and when you're doing damage with yellow numbers, use high damage abilities instead. That's roughly true of basically everything in the game on principle, and only a couple of things deviate from it. You don't need to get to the yellow numbers bit often however.

On the contrary, there's no compelling reason to use Curaga unless you and the enemy are nearly dead, EP is worth more than Gil and Hi-Potions heal enough to make it irrelevant but Overclock is very handy. Some (of which some are optional) enemies later on require you to stagger them X amount of times before you can do real damage to them. If you're struggling stagger them, Overclock and you'll surely be able to do it then. It also refills all three of your ATB bars so if you're using Schemas with low ATB recovery, that's a god send. Some enemies are only staggered for a short amount of time as well, so unloading as much damage as you can in that short time is priceless.

ImpAtom posted:

It contains a lot of things which would be pretty fuckin' weird.

The only reason in favour of a remake for me is that I want to see Cloud save the life of a little girl and then ride a dolphin to jump on to a ridiculously high scaffold to infiltrate Junon in HD.
Bonus points for the remake letting me do this is the Miss Cloud outfit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

Tomb Raider and its brethren aren't helped by the fact that Square apparently doesn't factor digital downloads into sales figures (especially since Sleeping Dogs was ONLY released on PC digitally).

So they're basically ignoring Steam/PSN/XBL? :psyduck: Why even bother selling them there then?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sleeping Dogs had a physical PC release in the UK at least. I can see my case from here.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Finished Final Fantasy X-2 last night. Although the final boss was way too easy and it never even came close to killing anyone, I still think overall it was a fun game. Not as linear as Final Fantasy X and if you know where to look there's a ton of stuff to do.

Onto FFXII!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Grawl posted:

Onto FFXII!

Remember to go with the IZJS version if you can!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Speaking of, I'm STILL trying to locate a copy of IZJS so I can apply the English patch (already have the vanilla version) for a more reasonable price considering the years its been since it came out. Alternatively, I could try getting it for free...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gologle posted:

Speaking of, I'm STILL trying to locate a copy of IZJS so I can apply the English patch (already have the vanilla version) for a more reasonable price considering the years its been since it came out. Alternatively, I could try getting it for free...

Whatever it takes to enjoy IZJS. Its really, really good compared to FFXII. Like, I could not finish FFXII the two times I started it (although it turns out I got drat far in the game because hoo-boy is pacing all over the place in that one) while IZJS I couldn't put it down.

Has this thread done a simul-play/discussion of FF titles in the past?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think it's safe to say that an FF7 remake would be the worst game in the series, by far.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Barudak posted:

Has this thread done a simul-play/discussion of FF titles in the past?

As in where a bunch of people decide to play the same game? I think the closest is whenever the FFV Four Job Fiesta rolls around every year, and that usually ends up getting its own thread so discussion doesn't take over this one.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Four Job Fiesta needs to happen more than once a year. I can't wait!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gaz-L posted:

So they're basically ignoring Steam/PSN/XBL? :psyduck: Why even bother selling them there then?

I always figured that was the work of the American branch, who are aware it makes a lot of money. Square just doesn't factor it in because Japanese business practices are dumb.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ImpAtom posted:

Pre-rendered stuff is infinitely cheaper and easier to make than 3D environments. "Just about creating a 3D environment" is not it at all. It's an entirely different level of work and effort. 3D environments that look good in pre-rendered environments also don't necessarily work for full 3D gameplay. Nibelheim for example is just a big empty square and a few houses close together which would be terrible to explore and feel cramped and small. You can see this in Crisis Core which tried to keep the layouts as close to the same as possible. (And was very cramped and small but that worked to the PSP's strengths but would get rightfully railed on with a modern console.)

vs

I would've been way more than okay with a remake using Crisis Core's artstyle.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fister Roboto posted:

Jesus, is it really only three months away? I can't wait!

I am probably going to have to abstain from enshrining winners in the OP/second post this year, because hoooooly hell. :psyduck:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

ozza posted:

The biggest strike against is the augment system. While the system itself isn't bad, much of the mechanics for acquiring them are hidden. Think of an entire subsystem based around FFXII's Zodiac Spear invisible triggers. There's actually a spoiler free guide out for there for a perfect augment playthrough.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Fister Roboto posted:

It'd be cool to do different gimmicks with FF games, but it'd also be kinda hard to figure out the right way to approach some games this way. Maybe something like "Let the game choose your party members for this game" or "Spell X is rolled to only be used by Character Y" or stuff like that.

I think it'd be fun if we could figure something out. Maybe we could whip one something for one of the shorter games before the FJF starts up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sunning posted:

The biggest strike against is the augment system. While the system itself isn't bad, much of the mechanics for acquiring them are hidden. Think of an entire subsystem based around FFXII's Zodiac Spear invisible triggers. There's actually a spoiler free guide out for there for a perfect augment playthrough.

This is really untrue. The mechanics for some of them are literally "if you give an augment to someone who leaves your party, you get an extra augment in return." The rest are given as quest rewards, found as items, or in one case stolen from an enemy. This is a far cry from "don't do these random things."

Right from the manual:

Mega64 posted:

It'd be cool to do different gimmicks with FF games, but it'd also be kinda hard to figure out the right way to approach some games this way. Maybe something like "Let the game choose your party members for this game" or "Spell X is rolled to only be used by Character Y" or stuff like that.

I think it'd be fun if we could figure something out. Maybe we could whip one something for one of the shorter games before the FJF starts up.

I just want a FJF for Bravely Default.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 28, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Isn't Bravely Default like twice the length of FFV? That's spooky and scary.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

You can turn off random battles and set it to easy and skip cutscenes so you could conceivably you could get it done in the time it takes to do FF5.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Sex_Ferguson posted:

drat. FFV is a long loving game too. There were...what, three complete world maps in that game, and the first one is like the whole first fifteen hours of the proceedings? I can usually power through FFV rapidly due to being very familiar with the mechanics, but I remember FFV being hard enough that I had to restart it back when I was young. A modern game released that's longer--twice longer--than that? Sheeeit.

A good game for a long flight, I suppose.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It has skippable cutscenes, you can turn off random encounters and the last few chapters have a lot of optional content. I finished the game in like 30 hours on a first playthrough and I could do that in a lot less time on a FJF.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

drat. FFV is a long loving game too. There were...what, three complete world maps in that game, and the first one is like the whole first fifteen hours of the proceedings? I can usually power through FFV rapidly due to being very familiar with the mechanics, but I remember FFV being hard enough that I had to restart it back when I was young. A modern game released that's longer--twice longer--than that? Sheeeit.

A good game for a long flight, I suppose.

On a solo time mage run of FFV, I made it to Exdeath's Castle in just over 14 hours. Granted, that's with the advantage of knowing exactly where to go, but even then.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

ImpAtom posted:

It has skippable cutscenes, you can turn off random encounters and the last few chapters have a lot of optional content. I finished the game in like 30 hours on a first playthrough and I could do that in a lot less time on a FJF.

What does FJF mean?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FF5 is actually a really short game if you know what you're doing. Especially if you're playing FJF since you don't have to clear all of the endgame dungeons.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yukari posted:

What does FJF mean?

Pure joy.

http://fourjobfiesta.com/about.php

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yukari posted:

What does FJF mean?

Four Job Fiesta is a gimmick run of Final Fantasy V where you have four specific randomly-chosen jobs. There are all sorts of weird gimmick runs and such you can do and it often is done for charity.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Kyrosiris posted:

Jesus, is it really only three months away? I can't wait!

I am probably going to have to abstain from enshrining winners in the OP/second post this year, because hoooooly hell. :psyduck:

I'm going to have to do my taxes so I can donate my return for EVERYONE GET BERZERK again.

With any luck the feds will get back to me in time this year :unsmigghh:

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

God imagine if they when back to the 'cutesy' style they had in FF9 but with a modern engine. SE I know you've got it in you, come on!

Yes. I think that "realistic" FF should maybe be put on a shelf for at least one game after XV, literally "a fantasy based on reality", is released. I mean that's probably the most real aside from like fighting cactuars in New York City or something, right?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mischitary posted:

I mean that's probably the most real aside from like fighting cactuars in New York City or something, right?
If The Third Birthday is any indication, I don't think a setting based on a real location is the core SE staff's forte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MarsDragon posted:

I'm going to have to do my taxes so I can donate my return for EVERYONE GET BERZERK again.

With any luck the feds will get back to me in time this year :unsmigghh:

Totally bringing back the Berserker Tree because it was the best damned thing. :swoon: