Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

Only in F1 and baseball can blowing money for the sake of blowing money be seen as a positive thing.

I would absolutely love to see some IndyCar team pay Sebastian Vettel to run in the Indy 500. Yes I know the 500 is the same day as the Monaco GP

I can guarantee that all the eyes of the racing world would be on the little town of Speedway, IN to see how Vettel can handle some real speed. Worldwide TV ratings would probably set all-time records and if he runs this year it'll allow more international exposure for the 2015 season.

harperdc posted:

I feel like I said that in like 2011, it really makes the most sense if Ford doesn't want back in. Ford-Cosworth is always a great match, but Cosworth making the lump for SRT or Alfa-Romeo would be a great second choice.

I agree with whoever said that three manufacturers of engines is the perfect number, but IF there was a fourth, I'd love to see Mazda.

That was me :smugdog:

From everything I've observed about American Capitalism in my life, I've learned that industries work most efficiently and profitably when there are 3 competitors. You can see it with the "Big 3" American auto companies. You can also see it with the top 4 American cell phone companies. Verizon is the clear leader, AT&T is 2nd, Sprint is 3rd, and T-Mobile is 4th. Considering that both AT&T and Sprint have tried acquiring T-Mobile, it's only a matter of time before that industry reaches it's equilibrium of 3 companies.

So it only makes sense to have 3 different engine manufacturers. To that end having all the cars look the same will require more innovation by the engine manufacturers in order to gain a competitive advantage and win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Dudley posted:

They didn't build an engine for this year.

Sorry, should have said didn't, dangers of phone posting.

KingShibby posted:

I would absolutely love to see some IndyCar team pay Sebastian Vettel to run in the Indy 500. Yes I know the 500 is the same day as the Monaco GP

I can guarantee that all the eyes of the racing world would be on the little town of Speedway, IN to see how Vettel can handle some real speed. Worldwide TV ratings would probably set all-time records and if he runs this year it'll allow more international exposure for the 2015 season.

If they'd only let the cars run so they'd actually be fast. They can easily do 240 there, come on.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Worst thread is down the hall and to the left.

just saying.

I was agreeing with you man, besides I watch more Indy races than anything else.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Uncle Jam posted:

If they'd only let the cars run so they'd actually be fast. They can easily do 240 there, come on.

My video response to you for completely missing the point...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGRfNDJglw8&t=57s

The point is that whatever money they pay Vettel to run will pay major dividends in terms of exposure and what IndyCar seems to care most about : TV Ratings

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
No F1 driver will ever run the 500 unless they were crap and couldn't get a drive in BTCC or fifteen years past their best...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KingShibby posted:

That was me :smugdog:

From everything I've observed about American Capitalism in my life, I've learned that industries work most efficiently and profitably when there are 3 competitors. You can see it with the "Big 3" American auto companies. You can also see it with the top 4 American cell phone companies. Verizon is the clear leader, AT&T is 2nd, Sprint is 3rd, and T-Mobile is 4th. Considering that both AT&T and Sprint have tried acquiring T-Mobile, it's only a matter of time before that industry reaches it's equilibrium of 3 companies.

So it only makes sense to have 3 different engine manufacturers. To that end having all the cars look the same will require more innovation by the engine manufacturers in order to gain a competitive advantage and win.

I think it's correct but dangerous causation. At that point you might as well quote De La Soul's song "The Magic Number." For Indy, it's about the numbers -- with three, you're supplying enough teams to make it worthwhile to the manufacturers; not too many (which Honda tolerated but neither would want right now I don't think) and not too few (poor Judd engine RIP). With four, you're getting more to the "not serving enough teams to make the investment worthwhile" area, though if the grid expanded and things stayed stable on the engine front you might lure more people in and find stability with four.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IceAgeComing posted:

No F1 driver will ever run the 500 unless they were crap and couldn't get a drive in BTCC or fifteen years past their best...
F1 drivers have historically struggled at Indy anyway. Besides, most of them are all whiney babies or pay drivers these days, and F1 is a horrible broken mess thats somehow even less relevant in the US than IndyCar so who cares.

harperdc posted:

with three, you're supplying enough teams to make it worthwhile to the manufacturers; not too many (which Honda tolerated but neither would want right now I don't think) and not too few (poor Judd engine RIP).
Yeah, 3 is the sweet spot with a 26 car grid, which is the defacto carrying capacity. The biggest issue for the third manufacturer would be an anchor team. You really need one of the big 3 running your engine, but that would be a hard sell with an unproven package.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Uncle Jam posted:

I was agreeing with you man, besides I watch more Indy races than anything else.

My mistake, thought you were being sarcastic.

As for Vettel, I don't think you'll ever see him run Indy. I believe a good portion of them are frightened do to seeing what happened with Dan.

You have a shot at Kimi when his tenure at Ferrari is up. He's already kind of been interested with the idea already in the past.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cygni posted:

F1 drivers have historically struggled at Indy anyway.

(!!!)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

What? In the last 20+ years, ex-F1 drivers really haven't had an easy time. Speed, Dornbos, Alesi, Rubens, Enge, Moreno, Patrese, Salazar, Nakano. Sure, most of em were meh in F1 and in bad rides, but thats what we got. Gurrero and Boesel had some good runs early in their careers, but never won.

Really the best guys lately who did F1 before IndyCar have been Sato and Wilson. The last Indy winner from F1 is what, Cheever (lol) 16 years ago? I mean since 1970, the winners with prior F1 starts are Emmo twice, Luyendyke 1.5 times (97 barely counts as a race), and Cheever... even if you count guys that would go on to F1, you only get 2 more wins, JV and Juan. Over 43 races, they havent exactly been dominant.

And why should they be? Its a totally different formula that keeps getting further apart and a completely different discipline.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
OP I don't think just going over a bunch of F1 washouts (a lot of whom, like Moreno, were actually fairly successful in Indycar) is grounds to dismiss Vettel by saying "F1 drivers are historically unsuccessful at Indy", especially considering the rich ~history~ of drivers trying to make it on both sides of the pond.

Also Riccardo Patrese never drove in Indycar. (Also, you missed Bobby Rahal, and Danny Sullivan re: Indy winners with prior F1 starts)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 28, 2014

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I wasn't talking about Vettel, I was just pointing out that not having F1 drivers doesnt really matter.

Also yeah, I meant Piquet not Patrese. Patrese was supposed to run in 95 but the team never materialized. Also i forgot like 20 other F1 drivers that ran indy and never did great (Fabi/Johnason etc).

Its a different discipline, and hell JV running again is gonna sell more tickets than anyone short of Vettel/Hamilton/Alonso would.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
At Indy, you can still be a great driver in not great equipment and have a shot. Look at Sato two years ago. In F1, the drivers are second to the cars in total. A top flight Indy team isn't going to hire Vettel because they have quality drivers with oval experience already, and Vettel couldn't handle trying to win with a midpack car, IMO.

He's not a good fit for Indy.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

At Indy, you can still be a great driver in not great equipment and have a shot. Look at Sato two years ago. In F1, the drivers are second to the cars in total. A top flight Indy team isn't going to hire Vettel because they have quality drivers with oval experience already, and Vettel couldn't handle trying to win with a midpack car, IMO.

He's not a good fit for Indy.

a good answer.

I will say this, and I honestly believe it.

If F1 somehow found a way to have Vettel, Hamilton, etc run the 500, I do believe it'd help it's popularity in the states, and the 500 as an event world wide.

The last time F1 was truly relevant in the states was during the Watkins-Glen days when you'd see the top talent for both compete in those races.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
On the whole F1 to Indy drivers have fared much better than Indy to F1 drivers, and that is a fact.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

animeliker posted:

On the whole F1 to Indy drivers have fared much better than Indy to F1 drivers, and that is a fact.
Mario and JV won F1 Championships, and Emmo, Zanardi, and Nigel won IndyCar/CART/IRL championships. It's not a dick measuring competition though so really who cares. It says more about those guys than it does either series.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

Mario and JV won F1 Championships, and Emmo, Zanardi, and Nigel won IndyCar/CART/IRL championships. It's not a dick measuring competition though so really who cares. It says more about those guys than it does either series.

Can we not defend Nigel Mansell here please.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The most trash F1 WDC for sure, imo.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

IceAgeComing posted:

So where does Juan fit in this spectrum?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.sbnation.com/indycar/2014/2/28/5457486/indycar-cosworth-ceo-hal-reisiger

more Cosworth news!

An interview with CEO Hal Reisiger

quote:

MW: You've brought up IndyCar several times as of late. How inviting is the current spec and the 2.2 liter V6 for Cosworth.

We could have an immediate impact and participate immediately as well. Besides the history of winning 12 Indianapolis 500s and still have staff members involved who participated in Indy car when we were last active in the sport. IndyCar wants another supplier, Honda and GM want a competitor and we're formally speaking to them about it next week.

MW: What is the opinion of IndyCar from your ownership group? I know Gerry Forsythe particularly had a contentious, at times, relationship with the former IRL. Are they fully invested in IndyCar as well?

HR: Yes, definitely. Kevin (Kalkhoven) is actively involved as a team owner and he's committed to IndyCar. Like all team owners he wants to see the best product possible. And while Gerry is not involved as an owner, he is also very energetic about IndyCar. They are enthusiastic want to see the best product on the track.

MW: From your perspective, do you feel like IndyCar is set to enter a new period of prosperity?

HR: I think we're going to see a good product that gets a lot more global awareness in the coming years. You have Mark Miles and Derrick Walker in place -- good people in the management team. They are going to help with brand exposure and I think that IndyCar is going to see a growth as a result.

MW: Why hasn't IndyCar clicked with a mass audience since the merger?

HR: In my humble opinion, it's needed better marketing. They have a good product. For those who are involved and engaged you can't deny it. IndyCar is exciting and it's a fantastic event to attend and they need to get more people exposed to it. And now you have people in place to help grow it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Missing Donut posted:

So where does Juan fit in this spectrum?

Under the "Well past his best" categroy.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KingShibby posted:

My video response to you for completely missing the point...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGRfNDJglw8&t=57s

The point is that whatever money they pay Vettel to run will pay major dividends in terms of exposure and what IndyCar seems to care most about : TV Ratings

That's cause I what I want to see isn't what Indycar fans want to see I guess.

Cygni posted:

There is a huge difference between ovals and road courses though. The super old school guys like Mario and AJ though while good drivers also knew how to do racing as a business. I think its important to consider when they went to different series and did well, because they brought the knowledge of how to operate on a race weekend in general. Now that every team is run in a professional way in most series (except the backest of backmarkers) and the divergence of spec means its pretty hard to jump around like that not only 15 years ago but especially now.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

a good answer.

I will say this, and I honestly believe it.

If F1 somehow found a way to have Vettel, Hamilton, etc run the 500, I do believe it'd help it's popularity in the states, and the 500 as an event world wide.

The last time F1 was truly relevant in the states was during the Watkins-Glen days when you'd see the top talent for both compete in those races.

It'd help raise global interest, but no one here gives a gently caress about F1 drivers to really say it would drive domestic interest up.

Kurt Busch will do more on that front than an F1 driver would.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Also the schedules are simply much busier now than they were back in the 60 and 70s, so seat-swapping is pretty much impossible if you want to challenge for championships. F1 starts in March and is racing more weeks than not through to November; including on the day of the 500 and perhaps the qualifying weekend as well. Sure, IndyCar are only racing until August this year, but its still more racing than USAC typically had in the 70s; and when there were more events in the 60s, it was typical for the bigger guys to miss a few races. At the height of cross-over drivers from 1964-68; the 500 was not held on Monday and often ended up mid-week; which made racing both Monaco and Indy much easier, especially since the first weekend usually seemed to end up clear as well, because they weren't running races every fortnight at that point. Even by the 70s, running a full F1 year and the 500 was impossible - Mario missed Belgium in 1976 and Monaco in 1977 because of Indy, and didn't run at Indy in 79 because of the Monaco GP. Its 100x harder now than it was.

In order for someone Vettel to theoretically run at Indy, you'd either need the FIA to clear the last two weeks in May for Indianapolis qualifying and the race which they wouldn't do; IndyCar to allow Vettel to qualify at some other time which they'd get panned for, or for them to return to two weekends of qualifying to allow a race to take place on the second weekend, which we'd all probably love but its a pipe dream. And lets be honest, the chances of four-time F1 World Champion Sebastian Vettel showing up at somewhere like Houston to run during the F1 August break is never going to happen unless IndyCar somehow surpasses pre-split IndyCar in terms of world popularity (although it probably would be very funny...)

Not that it matters, because this is really a dumb thing to write about and I'm dumb for typing all these words about it. Can the season start yet so we actually have something interesting to talk about?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

In order for someone Vettel to theoretically run at Indy, you'd either need the FIA to clear the last two weeks in May for Indianapolis qualifying and the race which they wouldn't do; IndyCar to allow Vettel to qualify at some other time which they'd get panned for, or for them to return to two weekends of qualifying to allow a race to take place on the second weekend, which we'd all probably love but its a pipe dream. And lets be honest, the chances of four-time F1 World Champion Sebastian Vettel showing up at somewhere like Houston to run during the F1 August break is never going to happen unless IndyCar somehow surpasses pre-split IndyCar in terms of world popularity (although it probably would be very funny...)

Houston would be a dumb place to race. In fact, I sincerely hope it's off the schedule by next year. loving ended Dario's career which is bullshit.

Road America or a place like MIS (IE some place with mystique to it) would make more sense for a one-off.

IF the FIA, and/or NASCAR were knocking on the door to IMS? I fully believe they'd find ways to make May work. Probably very much like the way you described. Derrick Walker would be tripping over himself, and likely making new rules in order for entries to happen.

But for both aforementioned parties it's not really a pressing issue, nor is it something I'd ever expect them to do.

F1 doesn't need Indy though. They don't. Bernie wouldn't make much money off of the whole thing (directly that is), so for him it's very much a non-issue.

VikingSkull posted:

It'd help raise global interest, but no one here gives a gently caress about F1 drivers to really say it would drive domestic interest up.

Kurt Busch will do more on that front than an F1 driver would.

Right, a guy like Vettel doesn't put more eyes on the television set here. But he would put more eyes for F1 broadcasts in the states, and slowly grow that form of the sport more popular here. He'd get mentioned during the broadcast, on sportscenter, etc. That's way more than what F1 has really gotten in here in the past in the states.

Guys like Kurt Busch, Travis Pastrana, etc would be more likely to get people to tune in state-side.

Also, agreed IceAgeComing, only 29 more days till St. Pete though!

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 2, 2014

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I was intentionally thinking of a dumb example that is racing in August this year; but now I'm imagining how good a Milwaukee race would be with all of the best drivers in the world...

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

Right, a guy like Vettel doesn't put more eyes on the television set here. But he would put more eyes for F1 broadcasts in the states, and slowly grow that form of the sport more popular here. He'd get mentioned during the broadcast, on sportscenter, etc. That's way more than what F1 has really gotten in here in the past in the states.

So you'd like Vettel to run Indy to increase American interest in F1? That's, uh, interesting.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

So you'd like Vettel to run Indy to increase American interest in F1? That's, uh, interesting.

I think you've got me a little mixed up.

I was just saying how it'd help both parties (in theory).

TBH, I'd like to see Former, Current and Future F1 drivers race the 500 so it would raise it's profile internationally.

I'd care far more about that honestly. That's something I'd find amazing to see occur. Like when the press from the UK was covering every move Mansell was making back in 1993 for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmJ42g8MUm4

But one cannot put the cart before the horse. The 500 must be a bigger deal domestically first.

But really...we're on shaky ground even talking about this. I don't want to say Beetlejuice again, if you're catching my drift. So we should just leave this be.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Here's my idea for a race: You get all the best drivers in the world and you put them on My Little Ponies or something and then because (reasons) something something (Indycar is awesome) something something (Month of May) something something (the split) something (bigger than F1)!. Also, something something (Gordon shouldn't have gone to NASCAR) something something, (30 cars at every race) something something and we should also race at (insert stupid track Indy will never race at here).

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

LordPants posted:

Here's my idea for a race: You get all the best drivers in the world and you put them on My Little Ponies or something and then because (reasons) something something (Indycar is awesome) something something (Month of May) something something (the split) something (bigger than F1)!. Also, something something (Gordon shouldn't have gone to NASCAR) something something, (30 cars at every race) something something and we should also race at (insert stupid track Indy will never race at here).
Dig up Chris Economaki to do commentary and you've got yourself a deal.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Wait whaaaaaaaaaaaaat

http://www.racer.com/index.php/52-indycar/101545-long-beach-city-council-ponders-bid-for-f1-return

Racer.com posted:

"What will transpire Tuesday night is that the city council will vote on whether they wish to issue an RFP (Request For Proposal) to determine whether Long Beach will continue with the IndyCar weekend and the Grand Prix Association of Long Beach or consider another party that wants to conduct a Formula 1 race," said Jim Michaelian, the GPALB president and CEO who is currently preparing for the 40th annual Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach on April 11-13. "Our contract runs through 2015 and we are asking the city to extend this very productive relationship for another five years if the RFP is denied."

Chris Pook: "Formula 1 will be in Southern California by 2016."

I don't quite know what to make of this.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
So is NJGP dead, or are they going to get all 1982 and try running 3 races in the US?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

So I guess Indycar is going to Fair Park now instead of Long Beach?

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Irwindale.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

So is NJGP dead, or are they going to get all 1982 and try running 3 races in the US?

I think that is Bernie's "Vision" yes.

Bernie is a such a douche bag.

Bob Varsha @bobvarsha
“@besweeet: @bobvarsha Which IndyCar events will you be covering?” Indy Carb day, Pocono and Toronto.

Bob Varsha @bobvarsha
“@MadMike294: @bobvarsha @BenzKompressor You're doing IndyCar? Subbing for Leigh when he's doing F1?” Now and then, yes.

Bob Varsha is going to be covering three indy events this year.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Thought Irwindale closed?

Also rip Long Beach the only good street course on the schedule.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

WindyMan posted:

Chris Pook: "Formula 1 will be in Southern California by 2016."

Never gonna happen. Bernie is taking a page out of the NFL playbook and using the threat of going to LA as a way to extort money out of other local govts (NY/NJ, TX)

To get Long Beach up to F1's dumb standards would take an absolutely insane amount of money. Like 200m+... who is going to pay for that?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Of course F1 at Long Beach isn't going to happen. Either 1 of 2 things will happen. Thing 1 they say no to F1 and Indycar keeps the race or 2 they say yes to bernie and then F1 puts it off every year for 10 years and comes out with a statement saying "americans are such uncultured swine they don't appreciate the grand elegance that is formula 1 so piss off tossers" and they take their ball and go home.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I hope Indycar doesn't lose Long Beach.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

How many times has Bernie tried to create a GP here, and then he goes "gently caress this", then leaves the event gasping for air?

Dude almost killed off the Glen if not for the France Family coming in. (Yes, the France Family actually did something nice)

Long Beach, Caesars Palce, The Meadowlands, and Belle Isle were all once/supposed to be F1 GP's. All wound up becoming Indycar events, and two are still Indycar events to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Watkins Glen was removed from the schedule because the organizers had no money, not the other way around. The track was also seen as somewhat run-down and unsafe, even for 1970s standards.

• Locked thread