Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pocket DeSade posted:

What's the best console controller (360 or PS) to buy if I want to use it for games on my PC? I know it's possible, but I don't know which is the most convenient/works with the most programs/is easiest to configure.

Pocket DeSade posted:

Will it be usable/configurable for most games? I imagine most big-budget popular games work, but I usually play weird indie games.

Almost all Windows games since about 2005 or so have direct support for the Xbox 360 controller built in, including tons of indie games because Microsoft makes it easy to support.

You can either use the USB wired version directly, or oyu can buy a wireless receiver so you can use a wireless 360 controller (they cost like $20).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

Sucks, like a Baltic squid.

Drunk Badger posted:

360 is better supported in Windows, PS3 will work, but I haven't cared enough to try since the 360 controller works so well. Keep in mind the 360 controller needs a USB dongle if it's wireless, which would be an extra purchase the PS3 controller may not need if connecting via USB instead of Bluetooth.

I've never so much as touched a 360, so forgive my ignorance. 360 controllers are not Bluetooth? Do you connect via a USB cable that is not normally sold with a controller? Will I need to buy something shady/bootleg to make it work with a PC?

Install Windows posted:

Almost all Windows games since about 2005 or so have direct support for the Xbox 360 controller built in, including tons of indie games because Microsoft makes it easy to support.

You can either use the USB wired version directly, or oyu can buy a wireless receiver so you can use a wireless 360 controller (they cost like $20).

Thanks!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pocket DeSade posted:

I've never so much as touched a 360, so forgive my ignorance. 360 controllers are not Bluetooth? Do you connect via a USB cable that is not normally sold with a controller? Will I need to buy something shady/bootleg to make it work with a PC?

There are specific wired versions of the controllers that just have a USB plug; and for the wireless ones you can buy either the official receiver or a knockoff. The receivers let you have up to 4 wireless controllers connected to your computer at once.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The answer to this is probably "varies," but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask:

How long does it typically take for your gut flora to get back to normal after a bout of antibiotics? I was on two weeks of Sulfatrim and took my last pill 10 days ago and things don't seem to be getting back to normal.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Mak0rz posted:

How long does it typically take for your gut flora to get back to normal after a bout of antibiotics? I was on two weeks of Sulfatrim and took my last pill 10 days ago and things don't seem to be getting back to normal.

You can take a probiotic to help it get back to normal (and potentially even better than what your "normal" was before). Despite what the names sound like, you could actually take a probiotic at the same time as antibiotics, because probiotics basically just contain the good bacteria that was in your stomach until the antibiotics killed it off. In other words, they don't actually promote bacteria growth, so it won't counteract the antibiotics, just replace what should be there in the first place.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

And if you don't want to take more pills, you can also just go to the grocery store and pick up some probiotic yogurt.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What the hell is this bullshit (quinoa pronunciation):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1visYpIREUM

Since it doesn't match Wikipedia's pronunciation, I'm assuming this is a hoax or a joke.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
Bullshit. Its pronounced keen-wah.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

hooah posted:

Since it doesn't match Wikipedia's pronunciation, I'm assuming this is a hoax or a joke.

Watch some of the other videos from that channel.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

hooah posted:

It was a performance art/ARG thing. Summary.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
No, that was the other one. Pronunciation Manual is just funny.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

het posted:

No, that was the other one. Pronunciation Manual is just funny.

Oh, whoops! That's hilarious, then.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
The quinoa one sounds a lot like John Hodgman, any idea if it's him?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
No, it's former SA forums poster Wayne Gretzky. You can follow him on twitter at @DinkMagic.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
:aaa: Oh god, I've been mispronouncing quinoa since I saw that video in 2012?????

I guess that explains why everyone I've been talking to hasn't heard of it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mak0rz posted:

If you want to get your gut flora back the quickest/best way possible, get yourself a poop transplant!

Seriously.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

DrBouvenstein posted:

If you want to get your gut flora back the quickest/best way possible, get yourself a poop transplant!

Seriously.

quote:

via colonoscopy, enema, or nasogastric tube

For a while I really thought that putting it back up your butt was the normal way, but from what I've heard from doctors who have dealt with it that last method is the most common. You eat the poop. I mean, yeah, they stick something into your throat so it bypasses your tongue and stuff, but you can't tell me that's not eating poop. I also thought it had to be family, but nope, a sad drifter will totally get to eat stranger poop. You should consider yourself lucky if you have a family member whose poop you can eat when the time comes.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Ror posted:

For a while I really thought that putting it back up your butt was the normal way, but from what I've heard from doctors who have dealt with it that last method is the most common. You eat the poop. I mean, yeah, they stick something into your throat so it bypasses your tongue and stuff, but you can't tell me that's not eating poop. I also thought it had to be family, but nope, a sad drifter will totally get to eat stranger poop. You should consider yourself lucky if you have a family member whose poop you can eat when the time comes.

Good god. Imagine the burps. Imagine them.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

KasioDiscoRock posted:

You can take a probiotic to help it get back to normal (and potentially even better than what your "normal" was before).

Yeah, that's not a bad idea. I'll consider it if it doesn't get better within the next few days. I'd just like to know how long I'd have to put up with it if I want to wait it out.

kedo posted:

And if you don't want to take more pills, you can also just go to the grocery store and pick up some probiotic yogurt.

That will actually make me worse as I'm lactose-intolerant :v: (the lactase content in yogurt doesn't seem to help me any).

Ror posted:

For a while I really thought that putting it back up your butt was the normal way, but from what I've heard from doctors who have dealt with it that last method is the most common. You eat the poop.

No, it's deposited via nasogastic tube. It still goes through the front end of your digestive tract, but you don't want it in your stomach juices. They deposit it in your duodenum.

Skanky Burns posted:

Bullshit. Its pronounced keen-wah.

My friend speaks fluent Spanish and told me it's pronounced "kwi-noah." She lied to me :mad:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 1, 2014

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DNova posted:

Good god. Imagine the burps. Imagine them.

Reverse peristalsis is a thing that can happen to you. Usually when you are old and close to death. Your GI tract is literally your lifeline. When it goes, you go with it.

*faaaart*

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Pronouncing quinoa that way makes you sound pretty pretentious, in my opinion. Like pronouncing Nicaragua like this.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGjty394oyw

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ror posted:

If you are using windows then USB Xbox 360 controllers are pretty much plug-and-play.

I use 360 but I don't have the USB for it so I had to buy a dongle. A lot of people swear by the new Ds4 for ps4 but that's technically using a 3rd party hack to make it work. A lot of people say it works okay for most games but not all

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
What's with all the Bear references in EDM recently?

Like Bear//Face, and others, including some song titles.

There's also a trend of bands with X and Y in their names. XXYYXX,YYXX,XXXY,The XX.

WTF? What is this inside lingo?

Elphiem fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 1, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

tuyop posted:

Pronouncing quinoa that way makes you sound pretty pretentious, in my opinion. Like pronouncing Nicaragua like this.

Having the occasion to say "quinoa" probably makes you an insufferable jerk anyway. It's a grain/seed, and the western world's current fascination with it is causing food insecurity in places where it's a staple crop. Thus, it's a Bad Thing to eat, and unlike Bluefin Tuna (also a Very Bad Thing to eat) it's not terribly delicious.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

That will actually make me worse as I'm lactose-intolerant :v: (the lactase content in yogurt doesn't seem to help me any).

Hey, fellow allergy-sufferer :(:hf::(
Sauerkraut is a good non-dairy source of probiotics, and actually tastes delicious.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

PT6A posted:

Having the occasion to say "quinoa" probably makes you an insufferable jerk anyway. It's a grain/seed, and the western world's current fascination with it is causing food insecurity in places where it's a staple crop. Thus, it's a Bad Thing to eat, and unlike Bluefin Tuna (also a Very Bad Thing to eat) it's not terribly delicious.

It's a cash crop, can be grown sustainably in areas that aren't suitable for growing other crops and can make farmers income rise above subsistence level.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Quinoa chat: It was pronounced keen-wah by the aboriginal peoples that cultivated it first, and kwi-noah by the Spanish invaders that stole their culture. Both are acceptable.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

axolotl farmer posted:

It's a cash crop, can be grown sustainably in areas that aren't suitable for growing other crops and can make farmers income rise above subsistence level.

If you actually care about this stuff, you should probably look into dependency theory.

Or anything other than that neoliberal bullshit that hasn't been believed by educated people since the 1980s.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

tuyop posted:

If you actually care about this stuff, you should probably look into dependency theory.

Or anything other than that neoliberal bullshit that hasn't been believed by educated people since the 1980s.

Uh, nothing he said was even remotely neoliberal. It is simply indisputable fact that farmers of a crop like quinoa gain a much higher income than they would otherwise due to increased international demand. That is the truth, whether or not you think that it is only a symptom of wider, systemic abuses.

The issue du jour is that the rising price of quinoa caused by international demand is meaning that the crop itself is being priced out of the range of many poor families in places like Bolivia where it is/was a significant part of their diet. The farmers of the crop themselves are doing pretty well out of it, but they are obviously the minority.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

My friend speaks fluent Spanish and told me it's pronounced "kwi-noah." She lied to me :mad:

It's spelled quinua in spanish and even still the first u is silent either way.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Is there any decent site out there that provides live road condition updates in an accessible format across multiple states? I'm planning a road trip tomorrow, and there's going to be a significant winter storm going through the area. I'm mainly looking for a solid picture of what specific major interstates are like so I can make an informed go/no go decision tomorrow morning, something that can tell the difference between "there's a bit of snow but traffic is going at highway speeds no problem" and "there is no way anyone sane will go over 30 MPH, good luck getting anywhere in any reasonable time frame." Does Google Maps do that with their traffic feature, or does that just measure number of cars?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Waze/Google Maps will show data over the past 30 minutes or so on how fast traffic is moving in comparison to the "normal" speed the road should have. But they don't provide it in any way other than you pulling up the map and looking at the colors.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Konstantin posted:

Is there any decent site out there that provides live road condition updates in an accessible format across multiple states? I'm planning a road trip tomorrow, and there's going to be a significant winter storm going through the area. I'm mainly looking for a solid picture of what specific major interstates are like so I can make an informed go/no go decision tomorrow morning, something that can tell the difference between "there's a bit of snow but traffic is going at highway speeds no problem" and "there is no way anyone sane will go over 30 MPH, good luck getting anywhere in any reasonable time frame." Does Google Maps do that with their traffic feature, or does that just measure number of cars?

It's a little more work, but pretty much every state's DOT should have a website with road conditions and traffic cameras. Mine even has a handy Google map that highlights road sections in different colors/patterns based on the weather and road surface conditions.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Is there any difference between a fat 16oz bottle of propane from the cooking/camping section that costs $3.60 and the skinny 14oz bottles than cost $6 a few aisles over in hardware next to the torches and welding accessories? Can I use a screw-on torch attachment on the stubby bottles just as safely? It seems like the only difference is it's not as nice to hold.

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011
I've seen a picture around here a few times of a newspaper clipping with somebody's portrait (a black baseball player?) and a caption of something hilariously nonsensical like "it don't seem like it be the way it were, but it ain't."

I've just wasted an hour of my life looking for this but can't find it, does anybody know what I'm talking about? I'm beginning to think I just imagined it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

here you go, bow before my mighty stupid rear end in a top hat idiot jpg finding ability

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

muike posted:

here you go, bow before my mighty stupid rear end in a top hat idiot jpg finding ability
That's loving it, thank you thank you.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

That's loving it, thank you thank you.

There's also a thread for this sort of thing in PYF for future reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
How come sugar free gummy worms and bears are not as flexible and soft as regular sugar sweetened ones?