Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Red posted:

Ah, yes - Kurt pulls down his straps, puts them back up, and immediately pulls them back down again, because he was that pissed off. It was definitely a WrestleMania match - either HBK or Eddie. I'm guessing HBK.

I just saw a match where Kevin Nash did this each time he went for the jackknife and it was hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Speaking of heels, what ever happened to that Brodus turn in December? Or was it November...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I read recently that the Main Event Playa is back in developmental.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ahh. The heel turn that made Xavier Woods a jobber, Brodus Clay a developmental wrestler, and Tensai a developmental announcer. So I guess t he big winner in that was Cameron?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 2, 2014

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Bad timing on the Brodus heel turn because there's a few Outside the Ring shorts on the network that show him being a pretty cool guy. The commercial with the kids and the shark expedition thing.

My questions after watching the full Wrestlemania 1 on the network livestream: Who the hell was the Masked Executioner? He was awful. Also, were the ropes always so lose back then? Guys were hitting them and they're just wobbling for days.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Static Rook posted:

My questions after watching the full Wrestlemania 1 on the network livestream: Who the hell was the Masked Executioner?

Buddy Rose.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I'm reading through Bret Hart's book right now. It's really interesting, especially the Stampede stories, but does drag along a bit as he describes how every match he ever had was a classic and the best of the night.

Anyway the question is, was/is there actual animosity between Bret and Dave Meltzer? He trashes him a few times throughout but it seems like he's a guy who would willingly talk to get himself more over.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bigass Moth posted:

I'm reading through Bret Hart's book right now. It's really interesting, especially the Stampede stories, but does drag along a bit as he describes how every match he ever had was a classic and the best of the night.

Anyway the question is, was/is there actual animosity between Bret and Dave Meltzer? He trashes him a few times throughout but it seems like he's a guy who would willingly talk to get himself more over.

Bret was old school and didn't like guys from outside the industry exposing stuff. Then as Montreal neared and happened he realized that maybe it was good to have a voice in the industry that wasn't accountable to Vince or any other corrupt rear end in a top hat.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
I was watching No Holds Barred last night, and did Vince McMahon himself ADR the "Mister Brell says it's party time!" line?

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Bigass Moth posted:

I remember one thing Bret specifies that annoyed him was a report in the Observer about a house show match between Hart and Flair, where it was described as something like "not a good match, and Flair completely carried Hart." Turns out it was just a show report from a fan and not Meltzer himself, but Bret took specific umbrage with that.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do wrestlers really care what the Observer says / rates their matches?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Austin at least cared to some degree.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Ironically, Bret Hart is a notable example of a wrestler who has said he was proud to be highly regarded by the Observer.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Assuming they respect Meltzer's opinion its probably a decent way to gauge how your work is being received. Probably a smarter and less mind loving way to do it than scouring wrestling messageboards or Twitter. I doubt any of them use it as the basis of their self evaluation or worth or anything.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Tanahashi has tweeted about how proud he was to be named Wrestler in the Year and in the Hall of Fame.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

As others have said, plenty do on both sides of the Pacific.

Elgin's ***** rating for his match with Davey Richards was actually mentioned in character by his manager Truth Martini.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I presume Japanese fans (rightly) presume that the NJPW product is better than the WWE's and the work seems more "legit", but being that the WWE is undoubtedly larger and older, do they see the WWE or IWGP title as the more prestigious belt? I mean Kojima even seemed to have some respect for the NWA title though of course NJPW has more history with the southern promotions.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

epitasis posted:

I presume Japanese fans (rightly) presume that the NJPW product is better than the WWE's and the work seems more "legit", but being that the WWE is undoubtedly larger and older, do they see the WWE or IWGP title as the more prestigious belt? I mean Kojima even seemed to have some respect for the NWA title though of course NJPW has more history with the southern promotions.

The IWGP title is a bigger deal by far right now. WWE really isn't a big deal in Japan right now so the WWE title doesn't mean a whole lot. The NWA title played an important role in Japan so realistically Japan is the only place where it is seen as important anymore.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

epitasis posted:

Yottsume (Japanese wrestling fan with an English blog) has said that WWE has kinda a different fanbase in Japan from the domestic promotions without a lot of crossover.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Abu Dave posted:

Absolutely. Some may not be so quick to admit it but if they care about the bullshit WWE Hall of Fame then they care about Meltzer's ratings.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Thauros posted:

As others have said, plenty do on both sides of the Pacific.

Elgin's ***** rating for his match with Davey Richards was actually mentioned in character by his manager Truth Martini.

Frightmare actually had his rookie of the year award mentioned as part of his ring announcing for a while.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Abu Dave posted:

wrestlers make up a large amount of the people who read the printed version of the Observer

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Iskanderson posted:

I was watching No Holds Barred last night, and did Vince McMahon himself ADR the "Mister Brell says it's party time!" line?

You mean did he deliver it in a way that sucked all the heat out of the arena? :v:

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

VogeGandire posted:

He kayfabed his English-speaking ability all the time. He travelled with the Bashams, Cena and Funaki, and he'd constantly pretend to understand less English than he actually could, but then forget about it when they were drinking, so he'd become MORE fluent the more he had to drink.

Kayfabing English is pretty common among Japanese wrestlers, according to Lance Storm.

Watching that Tajiri/Holly match, it's kind of amazing how hyped the crowd is for a midcard match. You'd be hard-pressed to get a reaction like that in the main events these days.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

Kayfabing English is pretty common among Japanese wrestlers, according to Lance Storm.

Watching that Tajiri/Holly match, it's kind of amazing how hyped the crowd is for a midcard match. You'd be hard-pressed to get a reaction like that in the main events these days.

I think part of it is Tajiri gets their attention. Dude is tiny but he loving commands respect.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Abu Dave posted:

Chris Benoit took it too seriously

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Chris Benoit took it too seriously

Benoit/Daniel - DUD. Squash match.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nearly 7 years of these jokes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Critical posted:

Benoit/Daniel - DUD. Squash match.
Too many restholds.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So with all this Ukraine and Russian stuff happening, does the WWE have a precedent of ever changing a gimmick of someone because of real life events, really obvious ones aside (Benoit)? Thinking about the Bulgarian Brute and if his gimmick will be toast.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Abu Dave posted:

So with all this Ukraine and Russian stuff happening, does the WWE have a precedent of ever changing a gimmick of someone because of real life events, really obvious ones aside (Benoit)? Thinking about the Bulgarian Brute and if his gimmick will be toast.

If anything this is going to make an Eastern European heel seem more current and not a relic from the '80s.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Sgt Slaughter did, yes? A heel turn during the first Iraq war?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Iraqi Turncoat Sergeant Slaughter comes to mind. And Nikolai Volkoff becoming an American patriot when the Cold War ended.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This might be the thing that gets him a real push.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Abu Dave posted:

There was the whole Undertaker/Muhammed Hassan terrorism attack thing during the London terrorist bombing. It made the WWE more or less drop Hassan from Smackdown, and then Hassan was let go.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Matt Hardy got turned into a fat jobber because his brother smoked weed. :v:

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
I've been watching this match for like 10 minutes now and just realized it was wrestlemania

edit: whoops, wrong thread.

Brogeoisie fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 3, 2014

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
So uh, at GAB '89, Paul Heyman used a small baggy full for white powder to throw into Jim Cornette's face.

...was that supposed to be coke?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm listening to today's free Wrestling Observer Live and Alvarez is saying CM Punk is definitely coming back tomorrow.

How reliable is he? I very rarely listen to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009
Who the hell is that following Roddy Piper to the ring at Halloween Havoc 96? It seems like he is accompanying Piper as a bodyguard to counter the Giant being with Hogan, but then the guy just disappears.