Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

DrManiac posted:

Am I missing something with out there? out of the 15 games I played I only found an alternate ship once.

It's just random - some games I've run into four or five, some games I've made it halfway across the galaxy without seeing any.

I'm starting to think it's a good strategy to go slow early and hit every star looking for abandoned ships to be ready when Plot starts to happen midway through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Is there a trick to making the buttons work consistently in Calculords on an iPad Air? I'm loving the game, but playing on my iPhone is taxing my old man eyes. I hope there is an update soon...

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

ChikoDemono posted:

My girlfriend can't stop playing Disco Zoo. She never got in the other Nimblebit games, so I guess collecting animals was the answer. Reminds her of Zoo Tycoon. She won't give back my phone now. Thanks!

Mine fortunatly installed it on her phone, crazy disco music and comercials in stereo here.

Does clicking the animals sometimes give me money or is it just conformation bias?

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Here are my issues with Out There.

1. I hate how if you lose, you have to go through the entire new game process. There should be a restart option that just puts you right back at the starting star.

2. I think it's dumb that you can't move your ship's tech around to optimize it.

3. I also think it's dumb that even though your flying in a ship that has a shield generator (or any tech) you don't learn how to build that tech. There are random events that happen which are essentially you going on to a ship or station and studying a device which gives you the tech. You should learn the tech your ship currently has.

It's a fun game, but it definitely has its flaws.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Stumpus posted:

Here are my issues with Out There.

1. I hate how if you lose, you have to go through the entire new game process. There should be a restart option that just puts you right back at the starting star.

2. I think it's dumb that you can't move your ship's tech around to optimize it.

3. I also think it's dumb that even though your flying in a ship that has a shield generator (or any tech) you don't learn how to build that tech. There are random events that happen which are essentially you going on to a ship or station and studying a device which gives you the tech. You should learn the tech your ship currently has.

It's a fun game, but it definitely has its flaws.

Agree with you on the first. The opening is really slow. For the second, it would definitely be nice, but you can usually dismantle things and rebuild them, assuming you have the extra resources required, and the blueprints, which brings us to the third. I think the idea is that when you find a new ship with new parts, you don't necessarily know how to build them, just how to use them. And it creates an interesting choice when you find a new ship sometimes. "Do I go with the new ship that has tons of cargo space, or stick with my old one that can refuel from stars?"

Maybe a good compromise would be "you can dismantle something to learn the blueprints". That way if you forget how to build a drill or something you aren't screwed, and if you find a ship with that super shield add on, you can only learn the blueprint if you have extra parts.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Or maybe dismantling gives you a chance to learn the tech.

It's a decent pooper, but I'm hoping there will be some improvements down the line. It's also kind of a depressing game at times.

I'm not completely disappointed I bought it. It's got some decent strategy to it. And when you destroy your drill and then accidentally use up your spare iron, and then desperately search systems for abandoned ships to salvage their tech, it makes you feel like a real survivor.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I hate that you can just be warped out to some buttfuck nowhere star system with no choice but to restart the game. It's a really fun and addictive game, but it can get frustrating.

ALSO YOU SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO RUN OUT OF loving FUEL WHEN VISITING A REFUELING STATION

Raserys fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 1, 2014

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

tonytheshoes posted:

Is there a trick to making the buttons work consistently in Calculords on an iPad Air? I'm loving the game, but playing on my iPhone is taxing my old man eyes. I hope there is an update soon...

Same here, no matter how slow or deliberate I am with my inputs it still fails to recognize half the time. I think I am going to put this on the back burner until an update is released because it gets really frustrating.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

tonytheshoes posted:

The buttons suck so hard I stopped playing. It's a fun game but the biggest challenge shouldn't be pressing the loving main, giant sized, easy to use buttons.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Whats a better Match- 3 to put on my moms phone that isnt candy crush? Preferably with little to no metagame bullshit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ultimate Mango posted:

The buttons suck so hard I stopped playing. It's a fun game but the biggest challenge shouldn't be pressing the loving main, giant sized, easy to use buttons.

Huh, I do not have this problem at all.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

SpookyLizard posted:

Whats a better Match- 3 to put on my moms phone that isnt candy crush? Preferably with little to no metagame bullshit.

Comboline is a match 3 game with no iap at all
triple town I think also fits
there might be a more popular goon option

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Haven't seen Card City Nights get mentioned in the thread this week. It's like Sword & Poker mixed with that GBC Pokemon trading card game. There are no IAPs. I recommend it!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Card City Nights is on the ioses?! Yay! I've been playing it on the pc, but I'd probably be able to play a lot more if I could play on the PC and the gaming throne.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Subjunctive posted:

Huh, I do not have this problem at all.

I do on my iPad. I've seen it on other iPad games. I suspect there's something wrong with the way presses are handled on retina iPads, but I'm not sure. Other games have fixed it. I'm sure they will fix calculates as well.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Doctor Zero posted:

I do on my iPad. I've seen it on other iPad games. I suspect there's something wrong with the way presses are handled on retina iPads, but I'm not sure. Other games have fixed it. I'm sure they will fix calculates as well.

Yeah, huh. I don't see it on a pre-Retina iPad or on my iPad Air (though I have in other games). I'll count myself lucky!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait, if I play Card City Nights on my ipad that means I miss out on steam badges and cards. But if I dont then I miss out on mobile gaming. (mobile gaming is a stupid thing to call it when I'm on the couch, bed, bus or crapper though)

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I managed to win my third game of Out There. Early on I raged for a while after I switched to another ship and wasn't able to scroll around the star map at all. Then I realized that building a telescope might fix that. One weird thing I noticed is that the stats at the end appear to be broken. I never terraformed any planets, but the score said otherwise. It also didn't show the stars I'd blown up with my death seed. Is 50000 a good high score or is that still nub-tier?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is there a point to blowing up stars? Besides just for shits?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Javid posted:

Is there a point to blowing up stars? Besides just for shits?

There's the Wormhole Generator which makes black holes very useful.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
So while we're on the subject of sci-fi exploration, Waking Mars is on sale, and it's excellent. You play a guy exploring Martian caves, and you plant seeds to restore the plant population. It's part exploration and part puzzle (plants work together in different ways) and I'm having a blast. Get it!

http://appshopper.com/games/waking-mars

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Been playing The Inner World after picking it up for a buck, and it's really good so far; it's a fully voiced adventure game that's animated really well and runs fine, though there are still some porting bugs, like subtitle text that goes beyond a word balloon. Other downside is that it's over a gig.
http://appshopper.com/games/the-inner-world

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
*sigh*

Well, back to waiting for FTL I guess. Out There is just as shallow an ios game as they all are. It took about 6-8 attempts to figure out the formula and now not even the RNG can gently caress me over.

Wait for it to go on sale.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Zigmidge posted:

Wait for it to go on sale.

This was my plan as soon as I read "no combat."

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
What's a good iPad to buy to streamline my poop-gaming experience? Do I really need more than 16/32GB?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Dimo ArKacho posted:

What's a good iPad to buy to streamline my poop-gaming experience? Do I really need more than 16/32GB?

For gaming I would say either a mini or air, leaning more towards mini. Anything else just gets too heavy for any longer poop/gaming sessions. You will absolutely want something bigger than the 16. I made the mistake of getting the 16 gb Air and regret it every time I have to choose a game to delete just so I can install something.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Look, the large ipad 3 and 4's are that size and weight for a reason, to keep you from developing ridiculous roids from pooping too long.

Reciprocator
Jun 26, 2002

You're not taking drugs are you? I only ask because there is a zero-tolerance policy on the island, and I wouldn't want you to have to punch yourself in the face.

loudog999 posted:

For gaming I would say either a mini or air, leaning more towards mini. Anything else just gets too heavy for any longer poop/gaming sessions. You will absolutely want something bigger than the 16. I made the mistake of getting the 16 gb Air and regret it every time I have to choose a game to delete just so I can install something.

The 32 would probably be better. I have a 16gig as well, and it can be annoying when you need 3-4x the listed app size to be able to install it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Halfbrick has a new game out today. Bears Vs. Art is apparently up on the appstore.
No info about the release, they are doing a silent, non-global launch. So, check if you can get it or not, you heard it here first.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I have a ipad mini retina 32 gb and couldn't be happier.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

drunkill posted:

Halfbrick has a new game out today. Bears Vs. Art is apparently up on the appstore.
No info about the release, they are doing a silent, non-global launch. So, check if you can get it or not, you heard it here first.

Protip for anyone wondering... Non-global launches N-e-v-e-r include USA.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

For those with jailbroken devices there is a new GBA/GBC/GB emulator out. It supports iOS 6, and controllers with iOS 7. Key features are events for the Pokemon games, tilt support on Wario Ware Twisted and Yoshi Topsy Turvy, and iPad support.

http://gba4iosapp.com/download/

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
You don't need to be jailbroken for it. Just set your phone clock back to earlier then Feb 18th and install it then launch it once. You can set your clock back to normal after you launch it.

It's got a built in browser for roms, I've been playing advanced wars on my phone and Zelda: Minish Cap for the past two weeks.

:Edit: the reason for the time change is that it uses apples certificate program for enterprise app load outs. The certificate was expired by apple, but they can't block it if you go earlier then the certificate date. It's the same distribution method Nimblebit used for the disco zoo beta if any of you were a part of that.

Daedalus Esquire fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 3, 2014

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Card City Nights is fun, loads of polish. Collectible card game with some interesting unique mechanics and zero IAP, you unlock boosters just by playing & running around town challenging people -- think the old GBC Pokemon Trading Card Game RPG. Even coming from a background where I've got some CCG experience I'm finding deckbuilding very challenging. Cards are played in a 3x3 grid and each have a combination of arrows on them that let them link up to adjacent cards (think Triple Triad from FFVIII). For the most part they don't do anything when you place them; they have to be linked up in a combo of three cards -- THEN their effects resolve and they're cleared from the board. Really unique mechanics, it's cool to see a card game that didn't obviously start as "how can we tweak the mechanics of Magic a little bit and make a game from there"

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Heran Bago posted:

For those with jailbroken devices there is a new GBA/GBC/GB emulator out. It supports iOS 6, and controllers with iOS 7. Key features are events for the Pokemon games, tilt support on Wario Ware Twisted and Yoshi Topsy Turvy, and iPad support.

Wow that works surprising well without even jailing breaking it. Is there a NES/SNES/Genesis emulator that is similar where it just a app you can download with a pre-Feb 18th date?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Rirse posted:

Wow that works surprising well without even jailing breaking it. Is there a NES/SNES/Genesis emulator that is similar where it just a app you can download with a pre-Feb 18th date?
I'm surprised they didn't coordinate to get a few of them out there (or bundle a few emulators into one app) before this release. At least GBA/GBC/GB covers a lot of ground.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

JazzFlight posted:

I'm surprised they didn't coordinate to get a few of them out there (or bundle a few emulators into one app) before this release. At least GBA/GBC/GB covers a lot of ground.

Yeah. Now I just need to find a skin of my favorite Gameboy unit.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Rirse posted:

I would be happy with any nes emulator, jailbreak or not, that is compatible with ios controller. Playing Nintendo World Cup at work with a controller would be great

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Heran Bago posted:

I wish there was an easy way to use a ps3/wii classic controller with this. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Yeah, count me in with the others that really want to like Out There more than I do. Really wish that, at minimum, there were an option to start out with one of the other ships after you've found it. Or just anything that carried over.

• Locked thread