Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Chief Savage Man posted:

I have actually seen a few things (anecdotes, I doubt it is any kind of national trend) about capitalists/big businessmen donating to leftist causes like high minimum wage proposals and things of that nature because they take the long view that income inequality is going to hurt their business. Some of them are actually smart enough to say 'Well if people make a decent amount of money, they can buy my products!' instead of just worrying about how much cost they can cut right now.

Fordism. Generally groups like Club For Growth will fight these sorts of businesspersons. CFG takes the long view that literally the purest market is possible, desirable, and will bring about universal freedom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Orale!

http://www.texastribune.org/2014/03/03/stovall-files-fec-complaints-against-stockman/

quote:

Stovall Files FEC Complaints Against Stockman

Dwayne Stovall, a candidate for U.S. Senate, has filed two complaints with the Federal Election Commission against U.S. Rep. Steve Stockman alleging that his opponent has violated federal election laws and put Texans' personal information at risk.

The complaints, lodged Friday, provide a fresh batch of bad publicity for Stockman, who is the most high profile of seven Republicans challenging U.S. Sen. John Cornyn in Tuesday's primary.

Stockman’s campaign did not respond to a request for comment.

Stovall's complaints accuse Stockman of improperly cooperating with two groups that have distributed material promoting his candidacy: the Asian Republicans of Harris County and a Texas nonprofit called the Center for the American Future.

The complaint regarding the Center for the American Future relates to a pro-Stockman mailer sent to some voters last month made to look like a newspaper titled “The Conservative News.” The mailer was from Center for the American Future but included images nearly identical to ones distributed by Stockman’s campaign. Stockman’s campaign told the Tribune last week that it had nothing to do with the mailer. The center has also denied that is coordinating with any campaigns, yet it was launched last year by Jason Posey, Stockman’s former campaign treasurer.

According to the complaint, Breitbart Texas reporter Lee Stranahan discovered data on the Center for American Future website that appeared to be credit card transaction files of people who had donated to Stockman’s Senate campaign. Stranahan gave a copy of some of the data to Brett Rogers, Stockman’s campaign manager, according to the complaint.

Stovall said Monday that the data provides proof that Stockman has put Texans’ personal information at risk.

The other complaint from Stovall requests that the FEC launch an investigation into whether there is any connection between Stockman and a recent pro-Stockman campaign mailer that purported to be from the Asian Republicans of Harris County. No group with that name is registered with the Texas Ethics Commission.

"We're saying that he's manipulating the election and he's manipulating the voters,” Stovall said. "That's not how Texans should campaign.”

Though Cornyn has several primary challengers, both his campaign and Texans for a Conservative Majority, a PAC that supports his re-election, have focused most of their recent efforts on undermining Stockman. On Monday, Cornyn's campaign promoted Stovall's FEC complaints in a robocall sent to Texas primary voters, though he avoided crediting Stovall by name.

“A Tea Party leader has filed an FEC complaint against Congressman Steve Stockman,” the robocall says. Cornyn spokesman Drew Brandewie confirmed that the “Tea Party leader” being referenced in the robocall is Stovall.

Stovall has drawn some support from Tea Party groups around Texas in recent weeks. Yet he has also struggled to elevate his profile on a limited campaign budget. Rogers, Stovall’s campaign manager, said he wasn’t surprised that Cornyn’s campaign was not identifying Stovall as a primary opponent in its robocall. He also did not mind the way the campaign was choosing to describes Stovall.

“He’s not wrong about that,” Rogers said. “Truth is truth. Dwayne is a Tea Party leader.”

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I'm not going to complain about anyone trying to pile more poo poo on the Stockman heap if it means he continues to be dogged with this poo poo in whatever PAC or lobby gig he has lined up, but Stovall is just jockying for first (and still distant) loser here. Cornyn looks to be set to win pretty handily. I don't even see it going to runoff.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
What affect do primary's propositions like these actually have on policy/reality? Is this just so the "We have a mandate from the people to X" is a viable sound bite or what?

(new to actually voting in midterm+primary stuff here) :damnkidsthesedays:

Roumba fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 4, 2014

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Roumba posted:

What affect do primary's propositions like these actually have on policy/reality? Is this just so the "We have a mandate from the people to X" is a viable sound bite or what?

I don't know what the flying gently caress that is.

In some states, referendums/ballot initiatives can be held during any election and not just the general, November election. They can hold them in the primary or schedule a special election. Is that what this is?

Or is this just like, voting on a party platform or whatever?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

notthegoatseguy posted:

Or is this just like, voting on a party platform or whatever?

Yes, they're just non-binding resolutions to guide the party platform, which makes the one about repealing Obamacare particularly ridiculous.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Is the one about elected officials and their staff some sort of weird call back to that ACA thing where those guys are allowed to participate in the exchanges, despite having employer-offered health care?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Roumba posted:

Is it Texas law to print ballots in English and Spanish? Or is this another attempt at hispanic outreach after the Cruz Missile failed?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nth Doctor posted:

Is it Texas law to print ballots in English and Spanish? Or is this another attempt at hispanic outreach after the Cruz Missile failed?

Yes, apparently it is/was a part of the VRA to have to provide voting material in another language if that language was spoken by at least 5% of the population.

Harris County (Houston) in particular apparently also has to do so for Vietnamese.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

computer parts posted:

Yes, apparently it is/was a part of the VRA to have to provide voting material in another language if that language was spoken by at least 5% of the population.

Harris County (Houston) in particular apparently also has to do so for Vietnamese.

I don't think it needs to be on the same ballot-- so long as they provide a translation of the ballot in adequate numbers, then they meet the requirements.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
People in the DC bubble still think "Latinos are religious therefore they'll vote Republican" despite all evidence to the contrary. It probably spilled over to the Texas GOP.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

The X-man cometh posted:

People in the DC bubble still think "Latinos are religious therefore they'll vote Republican" despite all evidence to the contrary. It probably spilled over to the Texas GOP.

Republicans in the DC bubble think that, like all Republicans.

Democrats, including DC democrats, know better.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The same DC Dems who don't want Puerto Rico to be a state because they're afraid it will be a red state? Granted, I've only spoken to a few, but that was the reason they gave for the Dems not pushing the issue.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The X-man cometh posted:

The same DC Dems who don't want Puerto Rico to be a state because they're afraid it will be a red state? Granted, I've only spoken to a few, but that was the reason they gave for the Dems not pushing the issue.

Where are we with that, by the way? Because I want 51 states in my lifetime.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

The X-man cometh posted:

Would Puerto Rico be a red state? Seems to me the GOP's so anti-Hispanic these days that they'd vote Democratic just because of that.

MVega
Jan 20, 2012

You're disgusted at yourself. You don't want to betray any more. Now you want to respect the law. Some give flowers. Some, precious objects. You bring me your life as a gift. You are not afraid to die. This is why you are a dangerous enemy.
Not sure about the statehood issue but as a Puerto Rican I can tell you most of us vote Democratic here in the states. There exist a Democratic and Republican party in Puerto Rico as well but it's very different than the parties here in the states. Many people who would vote Republican in Puerto Rico vote Dem over here. Most people don't feel really strongly on way or the other about statehood these days but the vast majority of people would agree that it's better to be part of the United States (as either a common wealth or state) instead of complete independence.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

The X-man cometh posted:

... I have literally never heard anyone give that reasoning. You are talking to crazy people.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Puerto Rico seems like it's in a bizarre halfway realm that doesn't work for either the United States or for Puerto Rico. Not quite a state, not quite independent, and lagging far behind the rest of the country as a result.

A thread on Puerto Rico would actually be kinda neat if someone more knowledgeable gave it a go.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The pro-commonwealth party affiliates with the Democrats, but the pro-statehood party affiliates with both (the pro-statehood congressional delegate is a Democrat). I can't see the Democrats not dominating the island when it's a state.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Okay, I did talk to crazy people. Thank you.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Teddybear posted:

Puerto Rico seems like it's in a bizarre halfway realm that doesn't work for either the United States or for Puerto Rico. Not quite a state, not quite independent, and lagging far behind the rest of the country as a result.

A thread on Puerto Rico would actually be kinda neat if someone more knowledgeable gave it a go.

It works for some people in Puerto Rico because they're not a state so they don't have to follow all of the Federal tax laws and stuff like that, but still have protections and benefits from being part of the US. There's very few people who want PR to be independent compared to the other two groups.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The current governor of Puerto Rico, Luis Fortuño, is a Republican (as well as a member of the New Progressive Party of Puerto Rico) who keeps a picture of Maggie Thatcher on his desk to inspire him, spoke at the 2012 RNC, and was on the long list of potential Romney VP picks.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Nth Doctor posted:

computer parts posted:

It's funny, since I live in San Antonio I don't even think twice about things being in both English and Spanish. Pretty much every piece of paperwork here has both, it's just how life works down here. A lot of the time it'll be English on one side and Spanish on the other, or separate pages for English and Spanish.

Also, I early voted in the Texas Democratic primary a couple of days ago.:toot:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

fade5 posted:

Also, I early voted in the Texas Democratic primary a couple of days ago.:toot:

Go ahead! Throw your vote away!

No, seriously, you should have tried to help save David "zzzzzzzzzzzz" Dewhurst from Dan Patrick. And maybe run up the vote total of either Miriam Martinez or Larry SECEDE Kilgore, depending on your taste.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Joementum posted:

The current governor of Puerto Rico, Luis Fortuño, is a Republican (as well as a member of the New Progressive Party of Puerto Rico) who keeps a picture of Maggie Thatcher on his desk to inspire him, spoke at the 2012 RNC, and was on the long list of potential Romney VP picks.

What was his fish code-name? 'Pescado' was already taken, clearly.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

No, seriously, you should have tried to help save David "zzzzzzzzzzzz" Dewhurst from Dan Patrick. And maybe run up the vote total of either Miriam Martinez or Larry SECEDE Kilgore, depending on your taste.
That's what I did. I just hope the people who actually voted in the Democratic primary managed not to select Kesha Rogers for Senate :shobon:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm not good at realpolitik strategic voting crap, plus I don't really want to vote for a Republican at all, in the primary or general. On the plus side:

Winter Stormer posted:

I just hope the people who actually voted in the Democratic primary managed not to select Kesha Rogers for Senate :shobon:
I didn't vote for her.:toot: The LaRouche impeach Obama crap is completely insane, and has no place coming from someone running as a Democrat. It has no place coming from a Republican either, but I'm looking forward to it in 2015, because they won't be able to keep the crazies from trying it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

fade5 posted:

I'm not good at realpolitik strategic voting crap, plus I don't really want to vote for a Republican at all, in the primary or general.

Mrs Martinez is alarmingly sane and pleasant, actually. Mostly. Ten thousand more candidates like her and the GOP might save itself from itself. Which might be a bad thing in the long run, but in the short run would be kind of nice.

David Dewhurst is a terrible Perry Machine functionary running against a theocratic lunatic, so that one's definitely realpolitik strategic voting crap.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

:smith: He didn't win. Any chance he will run as an independent?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

No. I don't think he ever had any intention of even competing to begin with.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Maybe he can run out into the desert and live out his crusty resentful hermit lifestyle without having the cudgel of law to force everyone else to conform to the greaseball manchild school of societal function.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Currently at Wendy Davis HQ waiting for her to give her remarks. The Texas Tribune online will have her speech, for those interested.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
:freep: GOLD FRINGE ON THE FLAG :freep:

I can't believe I notice things like that now.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

:freep: GOLD FRINGE ON THE FLAG :freep:

I can't believe I notice things like that now.

my friend there's so much more to learn

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

If there's a runoff, I swear.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Xarthor posted:

Currently at Wendy Davis HQ waiting for her to give her remarks. The Texas Tribune online will have her speech, for those interested.

If anything interesting happens please keep us posted, I watched her filibuster and would really like to someday not have a shithead as governor

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

If there's a runoff, I swear.

Well, it's not as if he stands much of a chance against Cornyn anyhow, but it would definitely be better that Alameel (and the state party, likely) didn't have to waste money fighting Rogers off again to prevent her getting a bigger stage to spout her cult bullshit.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
Once again, Harry Kim can't seem to get a promotion.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ReidRansom posted:

Well, it's not as if he stands much of a chance against Cornyn anyhow, but it would definitely be better that Alameel (and the state party, likely) didn't have to waste money fighting Rogers off again to prevent her getting a bigger stage to spout her cult bullshit.

Cornyn's getting stabbed in the back by the tea party at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

If anything interesting happens please keep us posted, I watched her filibuster and would really like to someday not have a shithead as governor

Pretty typical speech (not that it was bad.) Said thanks to family, fellow candidates, reiterated platform bullet points, got a few jabs in against Abbott, and then said goodnight.

It's going to be a hard fight but with the ground game of the 12,000+ strong Battleground Texas army behind her I'd say she has a solid chance.

• Locked thread