Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

For a computer vision thingamajig I'm working on I've got a couple thousand images I need to crop...all differing sizes.

IrfanView has a pretty quick workflow consisting of a keypress to move from image to image, moving the mouse to make the selection and a couple more keypresses to crop and save, so that's good.

Unfortunately about a third of the images I need to crop are animated gifs and IrfanView doesn't crop them.

Does anyone know of a tool with a good workflow for cropping animated gifs? If not with a good workflow, how about any tool that isn't Photoshop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Edit: Sorry, I was confused as to the Windows Software and the actual Windows 8 thread. I've moved my post there.

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 28, 2014

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I have a couple harddrive volumes that I'd like to copy to an image and store on an external harddrive that I'm going to store in a safe place. What software should I be looking at for personal use?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

KoRMaK posted:

I have a couple harddrive volumes that I'd like to copy to an image and store on an external harddrive that I'm going to store in a safe place. What software should I be looking at for personal use?

Macrium Reflect is the oft-repeated answer to cloning and imaging. There's a free version.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I also recommend evaluating Acronis True Image. I have used it successfully for many years. It does cost money.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

Quick question:

I know about the process of Slipstreaming a Win7 image so that you can install it with all you drives and updates right out of the gate. The program RT Seven Lite also allows all kinds of tweaks and stuff to slim down the install.

My questions is, how do I integrate my drivers when they're all in installable EXe format ant not just a bunch of .inf's? Most of the drivers provided by my OEM are in this executable format, and I'm at a a loss as to how to incorporate them into the slipstream.

Any help would be appreciated.

The Microsoft Deployment Toolkit can prove to be very useful for this exact task. Mainly used for corporate/enterprise deployments but still can be used in your case.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I want to make a simple little movie of some pictures, videos, and music. Is there a good free piece of software for this?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

fletcher posted:

I want to make a simple little movie of some pictures, videos, and music. Is there a good free piece of software for this?

Windows Live Movie Maker is of course the first thing to mind.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I used to use Meebo because it was a great multiprotocol (AIM and Gchat) browser-based IM client that had chat logging and a seamlessly integrated iPhone app. Then it got bought by Google and shut down.

I managed to replace it with imo.im, but they're now ending support for third-party protocols, aka the only reason to use it.

What should I do now? It seems like maybe I should just use Gmail for my AIM contacts if all these services are going to die out.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 3, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Trillian has been around for ages, has a smartphone application, and a browser-based IM client.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I finally bought a copy of trillian because i was sick of IM clients never updating to fix problems (pidgin) or going ad-based and having 80 million horrible things in the installer (digsby). haven't regretted it.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Trillian on Windows is wonderful. Trillian on any other platform ranges from mediocre to downright horrible, so if you're interested in the cross-platform features, I'd keep my expectations in check.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
MirandaIM supremacy

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Can anyone suggest some Blu-ray movie authoring software? Ideally, it should produce a disc that will work in any Blu-ray player, not cost an arm and a leg, and be relatively easy to use. Bonus points if I can feed it AVS files without having to encode them in some other format first. I'm using 64-bit Windows 7.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
What's a good, free terminal emulator that'll let me use SCP to transfer files from my windows PC to a remote Linux machine? Putty won't do it. In other words, I need to be able to SSH into a remove linux computer and then transfer files to it that are stored locally on my Windows computer.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

What's a good, free terminal emulator that'll let me use SCP to transfer files from my windows PC to a remote Linux machine? Putty won't do it. In other words, I need to be able to SSH into a remove linux computer and then transfer files to it that are stored locally on my Windows computer.

I haven't used it before but the PuTTY page does list PSCP, an SCP client.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

How command-line does it have to be? If all it is is file transfer, WinSCP pretty much does what the box says and comes with an option for a Norton Commander-style interface to top it off.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

I use filezilla because I already have it and I don't want to learn something else.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fletcher posted:

I haven't used it before but the PuTTY page does list PSCP, an SCP client.

I tried that, actually, and it wouldn't successfully authenticate with the server no matter what I tired. I'm going to give WinSCP a try. Thanks all!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

thebigcow posted:

I use filezilla because I already have it and I don't want to learn something else.

Yeah I'd go with FileZilla, I prefer it over WinSCP.

Why does FileZilla take ages to list my directories though? The directory listing is so fast in Windows otherwise, what could FileZilla possibly be doing??

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
FileZilla's installer tries to install three different toolbars before I can actually install the program. That's pretty shifty.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Not that it makes that ok, but just grab it from ninite.com and avoid that kind of crap.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

I tried that, actually, and it wouldn't successfully authenticate with the server no matter what I tired. I'm going to give WinSCP a try. Thanks all!

What did you try? pscp works and has worked properly for a very long time.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

FileZilla's installer tries to install three different toolbars before I can actually install the program. That's pretty shifty.

drat, that is unfortunate they started doing that bullshit :(

It seems like that is inevitable with every great free tool out there.

edit: Looks like it's just the sourceforge hosted one that comes with the bullshit. The "other options" one did not try to install any crapware.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 4, 2014

dox
Mar 4, 2006

FileZilla on Ninite is also an option.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Thermopyle posted:

For a computer vision thingamajig I'm working on I've got a couple thousand images I need to crop...all differing sizes.

IrfanView has a pretty quick workflow consisting of a keypress to move from image to image, moving the mouse to make the selection and a couple more keypresses to crop and save, so that's good.

Unfortunately about a third of the images I need to crop are animated gifs and IrfanView doesn't crop them.

Does anyone know of a tool with a good workflow for cropping animated gifs? If not with a good workflow, how about any tool that isn't Photoshop?

I ended up using XnView + GIMP + spending a few hours to write an AutoIT script as the options for GIF editing on Windows are almost non-existent.

The AutoIT script, with the press of a hotkey, gets the highlighted image in XnView, opens it in GIMP. After cropping as desired, I press another hotkey and it saves it with the naming scheme I need.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

I ended up using XnView + GIMP + spending a few hours to write an AutoIT script as the options for GIF editing on Windows are almost non-existent.

The AutoIT script, with the press of a hotkey, gets the highlighted image in XnView, opens it in GIMP. After cropping as desired, I press another hotkey and it saves it with the naming scheme I need.

What did it end up doing to the quality, timing & size of the GIFs? The only method I knew of was a PS action. You're pretty drat resourceful if you were able to pull that off and still have them be the same quality!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

WorkingStiff posted:

What did it end up doing to the quality, timing & size of the GIFs? The only method I knew of was a PS action. You're pretty drat resourceful if you were able to pull that off and still have them be the same quality!

I haven't found anything obviously lacking in the quality, but I haven't done a detailed examination either.

To be clear, I'm not doing the GIF cropping with any code I wrote. GIMP is doing it. GIMP opens an animated GIF as a bunch of layers and then crops across them all and exports back to GIF.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Does anyone know the Adblock syntax or a hosts entry to block the Google "Answer a question to continue reading this page" survey popups? I recently started getting them even with Adblock running, so Google must have changed something.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Thermopyle posted:

I haven't found anything obviously lacking in the quality, but I haven't done a detailed examination either.

To be clear, I'm not doing the GIF cropping with any code I wrote. GIMP is doing it. GIMP opens an animated GIF as a bunch of layers and then crops across them all and exports back to GIF.

I didn't use it on Windows, but I found this awesome little CLI program called gifsicle that can manipulate gifs.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

WorkingStiff posted:

Does anyone know the Adblock syntax or a hosts entry to block the Google "Answer a question to continue reading this page" survey popups? I recently started getting them even with Adblock running, so Google must have changed something.

That sounds more like malware than something Google is doing. I've never heard of this survery bullshit before.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

stubblyhead posted:

That sounds more like malware than something Google is doing. I've never heard of this survery bullshit before.

It's a thing: Google Consumer Surveys. I was able to block it in Hosts, but I'd like to block whatever mechanism they are using to serve it because the domain apparently changes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WorkingStiff posted:

What browser are you using adblock in? I haven't had it pop up at all under Firefox with standard Adblock Plus lists.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Install Windows posted:

What browser are you using adblock in? I haven't had it pop up at all under Firefox with standard Adblock Plus lists.

Chrome. Hosts entry is survey.g.doubleclick.net, but it changes.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Are there any good widgets or whatever for monitoring system performance on Windows 8(.1)?

I liked all the Windows 7 ones, but they've did away with that functionality.

The only thing I've really found is the popup widget on Open Hardware Monitor, but it hasn't been updated in quite some time.

Any recommendations?

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
We're looking to get everybody in our company to office 2010 or newer, but we have a lot of holdouts that use MODI to manipulate incoming faxes in TIFF. I've been tasked with finding alternatives to MODI. I know infranview can probably do what we need, but I've been asked to find a couple alternatives to test. The users need to be able to open TIFFs, split multipage documents into chunks, rotate them, and add annotations. Any other suggestions? Licensed software is ok.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

crm posted:

Are there any good widgets or whatever for monitoring system performance on Windows 8(.1)?

I liked all the Windows 7 ones, but they've did away with that functionality.

The only thing I've really found is the popup widget on Open Hardware Monitor, but it hasn't been updated in quite some time.

Any recommendations?

HWiNFO64 has a sensors-only mode.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

I basically want the gadgets that are available for HWINFO, on Windows 8.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Is there a program/method to converting an already-installed program (for which you've long gone lost the CD or setup.exe) into an installer package (with all the relevant registry entries and dlls or whatever)? So it can be re-installed somewhere else or on the same computer after reformatting?

Is this even possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

crm posted:

I basically want the gadgets that are available for HWINFO, on Windows 8.

I personally use Rainmeter, but it takes some time to hunt down the right components to match your aesthetic. There is negligible RAM overhead for using it, and a small hit on your start-up time if you count the time it takes to get running on log-in. I haven't noticed it using up any more CPU/RAM than when I have Task Manager open.