Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I'd say start disinvesting the most auto-oriented (read: least fiscally self-sustaining) parts of town and upzone the core instead of doubling down on the policies that put you in the tough spot in the first place. But this is veering into D&D territory, and I don't want to hijack an excellent A/T thread, so I'll leave it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Nice Davis posted:

I'd say start disinvesting the most auto-oriented (read: least fiscally self-sustaining) parts of town and upzone the core instead of doubling down on the policies that put you in the tough spot in the first place. But this is veering into D&D territory, and I don't want to hijack an excellent A/T thread, so I'll leave it there.

Yeah, definitely D&D fodder. Ignoring the politics of it all, every county in Tampa Bay aspires to have a city or cities the same size as Tampa (St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Lakeland, Bradenton, Sarasota, etc.), with suburban sprawl filling in the gaps. Downtowns are intensifying, but not the links between the major POIs. Transit is needed (our networks are hour-headway pathetic), but the suburbs keep voting down funding increases. Even balanced proposals that fund all modes of transportation get shot down.

Anyway, while I'm posting pictures of Florida traffic, have some Disney.

Orlando has committed to a full teardown-rebuild of the I-4 corridor with HOT lanes, which I have mentioned before. ULTIMAAAAAAATE! *head explodes*

And yes, that's commuter rail one block to the east. Starts running in a few months, just in time for construction to commence on the rebuild.

Varance fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 26, 2014

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I'm always surprised how much people complain about actuated signals in this thread. It IS possible to do them right! In the Netherlands we have actuated signals everywhere and waiting needlessly at a red light is just not a thing. Except maybe if they leave it in rush-hour (timed) mode when it's quiet.

Generally there's a loop at the light where the first car would be, a loop further back to check for approaching traffic, and if needed a small loop for bikes on the right side. This avoids both the problem of 1 car holding everything up, and the problem of small vehicles not triggering a change. Somewhere near here is an intersection where 3 main (though two-lane) roads come together, and the direction I generally use gets red by default when it's quiet. But the first detection loop is far enough back that you can trigger it while still driving 50 km/h and the light will go green. If not, because there's traffic coming from the other side too, there's still enough time to stop before it.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

PT6A posted:

So basically like a blinking arrow in Western Canada (i.e. a protected left turn) combined with the ability to go straight through? That's what a green blinking light meant in Montreal, but I thought that was a Quebec peculiarity.

EDIT: Speaking of Quebec peculiarities: they don't allow right turns on red in urban areas. What's the conventional wisdom on this according to traffic engineers? On one hand, I like being able to turn right on red, but I have to imagine it's more dangerous and I would trade it for a second for a green light where pedestrians don't get a walk sign for a few seconds.

Right on red actually does lead to a statistical increase in pedestrian fatalities (or at least that was the argument at the time) and also Montrealers are aggressive drivers. It was only a few years ago that right on red wasn't allowed anywhere in the province.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Are there any places where there's a "stop unless you're going right" sort of sign?

It seems like the common way to handle this situation is to add a lane that cuts the corner, with a yield sign on it.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Entropist posted:

I'm always surprised how much people complain about actuated signals in this thread. It IS possible to do them right! In the Netherlands we have actuated signals everywhere and waiting needlessly at a red light is just not a thing. Except maybe if they leave it in rush-hour (timed) mode when it's quiet.

Generally there's a loop at the light where the first car would be, a loop further back to check for approaching traffic, and if needed a small loop for bikes on the right side. This avoids both the problem of 1 car holding everything up, and the problem of small vehicles not triggering a change. Somewhere near here is an intersection where 3 main (though two-lane) roads come together, and the direction I generally use gets red by default when it's quiet. But the first detection loop is far enough back that you can trigger it while still driving 50 km/h and the light will go green. If not, because there's traffic coming from the other side too, there's still enough time to stop before it.
Actuated signals are generally a wonderful thing, except when AADT-obsessed traffic engineers pervert them into what I've been describing above. The other problem we tend to run into in the States is that there's generally not enough money/manpower to maintain them in proper condition after they've been installed. Once they break, it takes some municipalities/counties a while to get them operating again.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

smackfu posted:

It seems like the common way to handle this situation is to add a lane that cuts the corner, with a yield sign on it.

Yeah, this is what I've always seen.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Oh yeah, I didn't think of that. Anyway, the situation I'm thinking of is like a very shallow Y, there really isn't any corner to cut. I guess they could add a lane if there was room.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005
I didn't realize "STOP Except Right Turn" was such a foreign concept to some people in the US. We have them everywhere in western PA but this is the only one I can think of right now

http://goo.gl/maps/TRNJi

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Yad Rock posted:

I didn't realize "STOP Except Right Turn" was such a foreign concept to some people in the US. We have them everywhere in western PA but this is the only one I can think of right now

http://goo.gl/maps/TRNJi

Translation: this intersection's geometry was laid out in the wrong way given the traffic demand.

But :effort:

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Around here, they turn perfectly fine intersections into 'wrong' ones as a traffic calming measure in towns. The main road then has to yield to some small branch, even though it was obviously a later modification. This sometimes has you turning 'left' or 'right' many times even though you're just following one road, which can be confusing. For example:
http://goo.gl/maps/oqeQb
The main road through the town is a left turn here. The 'straight' route, actually bending to the right, goes nowhere important. This is evidenced by all the signs pointing left... Also, you can still see the original path of the road before they modified it, a smooth left turn marked by the hedge. The former main road, now a left branch, is controlled by yield signs.

http://goo.gl/maps/jIjBJ
Here's another one, where they built some industry off to the left of this old road (the one going straight). They rebuilt the intersection for the main road to go off into this industrial area, making it easier for trucks and such to get in there. It also creates a safer crossing for the bike path, as anyone going straight following the original main road at least has to be careful.

These are all over the place now, I could go on. There are cases where they did it just by restriping with yield markings too, instead of actually changing the shape of the road, but I can't think of any now.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 27, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I read your description and thought "that sounds a lot like Dutch design".

Yep. I was right.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I read your description and thought "that sounds a lot like Dutch design".

Yep. I was right.

And that wasn't clear enough, the guy wearing the pink polo shirt would have tipped you off. :v:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Dude it's the boonies, who cares :v:

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I don't know what the roads around Amsterdam are like, why would you take a car there :v:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

PT6A posted:

It took a newly restored building in Habana Vieja getting gutted by fire before they realized it was a bad idea to block large areas off to all vehicle traffic (including fire engines), so I'm guessing they haven't really thought of all the negatives to something as small as not being able to pre-empt traffic lights.

EDIT: I'm amazed you even tried to upload a photo on a Cuban internet connection. Realistically, even if it did work, it would probably take 1 CUC of internet time at the very least. Are you a visitor, foreign worker or resident, if you don't mind me asking? I don't see many posts coming from Cuba (that I know of) on these forums.

I'm just visiting for business for a few weeks. The hotel charges an arm and a leg for an hour of internet time, but they have it at the office for free, so... It's flaky though.

Another peculiarity is the arterial roads with segregated speed limits. 80 KPH in the left lane, 60 in the right. I guess it's to avoid rear-ends, because the street has exits on the right only except at signals.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Entropist posted:

I don't know what the roads around Amsterdam are like, why would you take a car there :v:

Those spots you picked are not that far from where I live :heysexy:

Speaking of A'dam, I parked my car at P+R Zeeburg last Sunday and was at the Central Station 15 minutes later, *on my own bike*, which was super nice.

When I came back the loving parkeerautomaat was broken though, which meant I had to pay €6something for an unused tramride anyway :(

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
The local transit authority just got permission to start studying an LRT corridor running from Chapel Hill to Durham. Proposed route includes passing through scenic locations like UNC-CH, Duke, the famous 11'8" bridge, and lots of wetlands. Plus some pretty busy areas. I'm actually a little surprised there aren't a few more stations, but maybe that's just the way of LRT. File this under "who knows if anything will come of it"

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Koesj posted:

Those spots you picked are not that far from where I live :heysexy:

Speaking of A'dam, I parked my car at P+R Zeeburg last Sunday and was at the Central Station 15 minutes later, *on my own bike*, which was super nice.

When I came back the loving parkeerautomaat was broken though, which meant I had to pay €6something for an unused tramride anyway :(

That's the only tram you can bring bikes on, though! But yeah, it seems quite convenient. I guess in other parts of the city you can just use the metro to get your bike to the center. Do they also charge extra for it on the tram?
I'd use the P&R, but I live just a quick walk away from it these days so there's no point :v:

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

dupersaurus posted:

The local transit authority just got permission to start studying an LRT corridor running from Chapel Hill to Durham. Proposed route includes passing through scenic locations like UNC-CH, Duke, the famous 11'8" bridge, and lots of wetlands. Plus some pretty busy areas. I'm actually a little surprised there aren't a few more stations, but maybe that's just the way of LRT. File this under "who knows if anything will come of it"
LRT is supposed to be limited stop (1-2 miles between stops outside of urban centers), but not to the extent of commuter rail (one/two stops per town/city). If you have stops too close together or the route is too curvy, you lose choice riders due to time wasted not traveling at vehicle design speed.

I still think it's funny that Triple-A Durham might get LRT before the Rays.

Varance fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 28, 2014

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

dupersaurus posted:

File this under "who knows if anything will come of it"

Like every other LRT proposal/study since 1997, I'm leaning toward "no". On the other hand, getting the north Raleigh "rail is for poors" idiots out of the picture could make a difference.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
It is a bit of an odd beast. It'd definitely be good for getting people in and out of UNC, as it goes through the hospital and sports complex area. But it pretty much runs perpendicular to much of the general flow of traffic, avoids a good chunk of Duke, and stays far away from the research triangle park (which I'd presume is the main source of traffic around here).

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

This happened on my way to work today, missed being caught in it by about 20 minutes :stare:

http://kdvr.com/2014/03/01/cdot-i-25-reopens-after-104-car-pileup/

quote:

DPD issued an update and said that a total of 104 vehicles were involved in multiple accidents on I-25.

I've seen people hitting regularly 80mph+ thru that section of highway. Too many idiots driving way to goddamn fast through a bit of freezing rain.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 2, 2014

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
On the upside: 30 injured and 1 fatality seems pretty good for a 104 car pileup. Could be much worse, especially if traffic moves at 80mph as you say.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

NihilismNow posted:

On the upside: 30 injured and 1 fatality seems pretty good for a 104 car pileup. Could be much worse, especially if traffic moves at 80mph as you say.

I was thinking that seemed high, relative to overall injury:PDO rates, but most of those PDO crashes were low-speed. "Only" 30 injured seems like getting away with murder.

-----

My boss informed me that I'm on the critical path of a multi-billion-dollar project. How's that for pressure?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cichlidae posted:

I was thinking that seemed high, relative to overall injury:PDO rates, but most of those PDO crashes were low-speed. "Only" 30 injured seems like getting away with murder.

-----

My boss informed me that I'm on the critical path of a multi-billion-dollar project. How's that for pressure?

The upshot is that if your industry is as corrupt as you say it is, you simply cannot fail no matter what happens.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Volmarias posted:

The upshot is that if your industry is as corrupt as you say it is, you simply cannot fail no matter what happens.

This is true, but I do have a reputation to uphold. Moving upward is all about who you know and what you've done, and if you've got a big black mark, people are going to take a second look before promoting you.

I've got pride in my work. I want to get this project on the road so it can save some lives and time and CO2.

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 4, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just got back from a trip to florida. I've never seen such things in my life. I've seen pictures, I've seen maps, but to actually be in it is something else. I've heard of "culture shock" but I had "infrastructure shock". It's like traveling to some remote island where they still practice ritualistic cannibalism and human sacrifice and doing your best not to be too shocked and offended.

Was mostly in Sarasota area but did the drive up and through Orlando and into "orange city".

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 5, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I just want to know who thought this layout of signs was a good idea. It might not be too apparent in the single view, so try going back and forth on the routes and ramps:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.188958,-80.405906,3a,75y,42.9h,75.05t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sS1LdLWi9a4Q9ICxOVryQxQ!2e0

and same for here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.131972,-80.364575,3a,75y,253.56h,83.24t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1syapXJPN8fA6OMqcBnNxylQ!2e0

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Just got back from a trip to florida. I've never seen such things in my life. I've seen pictures, I've seen maps, but to actually be in it is something else. I've heard of "culture shock" but I had "infrastructure shock". It's like traveling to some remote island where they still practice ritualistic cannibalism and human sacrifice and doing your best not to be too shocked and offended.

Was mostly in Sarasota area but did the drive up and through Orlando and into "orange city".
Mwahahahaha! Now you understand my pain. Our traffic engineers are loving insane.

Hillsborough County is about to go Palatine Road on Fowler Ave, adding express lanes to an at-grade arterial. :getin:

Varance fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 5, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Install Windows posted:

I just want to know who thought this layout of signs was a good idea. It might not be too apparent in the single view, so try going back and forth on the routes and ramps:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.188958,-80.405906,3a,75y,42.9h,75.05t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sS1LdLWi9a4Q9ICxOVryQxQ!2e0

and same for here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.131972,-80.364575,3a,75y,253.56h,83.24t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1syapXJPN8fA6OMqcBnNxylQ!2e0

What exactly is wrong that I'm not noticing? Is it just the lack of lane arrows on the straight-through lanes?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PittTheElder posted:

What exactly is wrong that I'm not noticing? Is it just the lack of lane arrows on the straight-through lanes?

That, and how on the second one, they use the same suffixed exit number to refer to what are actually two separate exit ramps to entirely different roads. They're both relatively unusual interchange designs coupled with signage that's just weird and inconsistent.

In my personal opinion, they could benefit from having diagrammatic signs, since they're both already on huge cross-roadway sign mounts.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
Poor sign design. There should only be a single sign noting all destinations on the mainline, with a second sign on the exit ramp detailing the split.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.044673,-82.351638,3a,75y,354.3h,83.7t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sLFEEVow0xvxa76od1dvecg!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.964601,-82.412871,3a,23.4y,98.91h,92.66t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sCYtZ3X5Vsb4YVLtDTGspWg!2e0

Then again, we're also guilty of stuff like that from time to time... the sign's old and will be redesigned during replacement.

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.728384,-82.677565,3a,50.1y,201.89h,87.55t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sD0BgrVtcfx65jqqjKE84KQ!2e0

This is also a good time to point out that I-275 in St Petersburg, FL has a grade-separated bizzaro DDI-ish thing going on in that last location, with the Interstate crossing over itself twice. Pinellas County, FL has had some creative highway designs over the years (home of the first SPUI, etc.).

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.7204243,-82.6778679,16z

Varance fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 5, 2014

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Varance posted:

Mwahahahaha! Now you understand my pain. Our traffic engineers are loving insane.

Hillsborough County is about to go Palatine Road on Fowler Ave, adding express lanes to an at-grade arterial. :getin:

I can't tell if you are stoked about this or not. Palatine road is weird in that everyone plays the game of "which light is going to turn green first, do I stay in the express or get off to bypass everyone if the timing is perfect". It works, I suppose but I know plenty of people who actively avoid it.

Also, are you secretly me or something in referencing several places I've lived (Pinellas and Cook counties)????

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Varance posted:

Poor sign design. There should only be a single sign noting all destinations on the mainline, with a second sign on the exit ramp detailing the split.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.044673,-82.351638,3a,75y,354.3h,83.7t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sLFEEVow0xvxa76od1dvecg!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.964601,-82.412871,3a,23.4y,98.91h,92.66t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sCYtZ3X5Vsb4YVLtDTGspWg!2e0

Then again, we're also guilty of stuff like that from time to time... the sign's old and will be redesigned during replacement.

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.728384,-82.677565,3a,50.1y,201.89h,87.55t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sD0BgrVtcfx65jqqjKE84KQ!2e0

This is also a good time to point out that I-275 in St Petersburg, FL has a grade-separated bizzaro DDI-ish thing going on in that last location, with the Interstate crossing over itself twice. Pinellas County, FL has had some creative highway designs over the years (home of the first SPUI, etc.).

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.7204243,-82.6778679,16z

Or a good example here in Massachusetts.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.593182,-71.316146,3a,75y,328.7h,84.79t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1suidrZm53X6QsTEVPXQSm0w!2e0

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Thwomp posted:

I can't tell if you are stoked about this or not. Palatine road is weird in that everyone plays the game of "which light is going to turn green first, do I stay in the express or get off to bypass everyone if the timing is perfect". It works, I suppose but I know plenty of people who actively avoid it.
No, I think it's a horrible loving idea. Fowler Ave is about 10k ADT higher than Palatine in its current configuration. It was supposed to be Fowler Expressway and needs to be rebuilt as such. Give all the major intersections the US-19 SPUI treatment to allow for dedicated U-turn motions.

Thwomp posted:

Also, are you secretly me or something in referencing several places I've lived (Pinellas and Cook counties)????
Nope. I grew up bouncing between Toronto/St Petersburg/Tampa and currently live in Temple Terrace. Was just topical.

Varance fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 5, 2014

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Palatine Road is just the worst. I never understood what was going on while driving on it and the sheer weirdness of it has to present some sort of hazard as drivers puzzle their poo poo out. It's a shibboleth for Chicago area folks too :3:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Install Windows posted:

and same for here:
The paint is pretty worn in these photos, but proper signage plus this kind of marking is awesome
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.76954,-72.664607,3a,75y,269h,67.15t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sD6MFjx1hMO6ZKu9-n9w6rA!2e0

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Varance posted:

Whaa? Aren't all those USF kids going to get totally confused?

Thwomp posted:

I, too, grew up in Pinellas County (and spent a lot of time in Cook) :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

GWBBQ posted:

The paint is pretty worn in these photos, but proper signage plus this kind of marking is awesome
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.76954,-72.664607,3a,75y,269h,67.15t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sD6MFjx1hMO6ZKu9-n9w6rA!2e0

Yar har har, that's my work!

-----

For anyone who thought peak car was upon us, the latest INRIX data is showing congestion on a steep incline again in the US. Europe has a similar trend, especially in the #1 country for congestion (by far), Belgium.

http://inrix.com/scorecard/