Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Dylstew posted:

Plus, Always nice to see more female lead vocalists in Punk ^.^

go gently caress yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013

stay depressed posted:

go gently caress yourself

What's wrong with a female vocalist? I've always found it weird that out of all 196 bands I have in my library right now only 1 has a female vocalist. 2 If I count later Crass.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
maybe that's more your problem than punk's? there's a fuckton of good bands with ladies in them.

that new White Lung song is full on sick.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Dylstew posted:

What's wrong with a female vocalist? I've always found it weird that out of all 196 bands I have in my library right now only 1 has a female vocalist. 2 If I count later Crass.
http://slutist.com/a-reference-of-female-fronted-punk-rock-1977-89/

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

MondayHotDog posted:

This is the correct opinion.

One time I saw Choking Victim play in the park and after the show the entire area around the stage was one big sea of empty 40s.

That sounds cool. Are you saying a big sea of empty 40s is a bad thing? Did you forget what thread you are in?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Here's female fronted bands that aren't from the loving Jurassic and are better than all of that midwest christian emo you lot somehow seem to enjoy http://the-splits.bandcamp.com/track/no-way-out https://soundcloud.com/svart-records/kovaa-rasvaa-kovaa-rasvaa https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHHqw5SFTIY https://soundcloud.com/first-times-hki/dont-you-think-i-would-call https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yonCAzrWx0U

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

http://gattaca.bandcamp.com/

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Don't get the midwest emo love either.

Everyone should know Mind of Asian for female bands bringing the fast stuff though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUwF8ukq0C8

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

etcetera08 posted:

That sounds cool. Are you saying a big sea of empty 40s is a bad thing? Did you forget what thread you are in?

No, not at all. It was really funny. I should have taken a picture. I think I was in a bad mood because my glasses broke.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Wow I actually had no idea that Gattaca were female fronted (ew, that term), awesome!

Everyone should also be listening to Punch and Cloud Rat. Also, Wolf Down are a guilty pleasure of mine. I quite like Oathbreaker too, but they're infinitely better live than on record imo.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Its very punk to care about gender in your bands.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Stravinsky posted:

Touche Amore puts on an insane show, super glad they went on before Mewithoutyou so I could leave :shobon:

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

alg posted:

Touche Amore puts on an insane show, super glad they went on before Mewithoutyou so I could leave :shobon:

Mewithoutyou played a really good set last Friday but they played before Touche. Everyone I was with left to go to the bar down the street after MWY played, which was lame. The vocals for TA were the loudest and clearest I've ever heard at a punk/hardcore/whatever show. It was actually really confusing at first.

Did you at least catch Caravels though?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Yea Caravels were on first and I really like them, was great to see them on a big stage instead of a house. Seahaven was... Not my thing

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
I was most stoked about seeing Caravels because I'd seen all the other bands before. Definitely went outside to smoke a cigarette about 2 songs into Seahaven. They played with TA last time I saw them and I hated them, figured I'd give them another chance. Nope.

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013

Stravinsky posted:

I don't really care what's punk and what's not, I just like listening to music, and that includes Punk music.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

nomapple posted:

Wow I actually had no idea that Gattaca were female fronted (ew, that term), awesome!

Everyone should also be listening to Punch and Cloud Rat. Also, Wolf Down are a guilty pleasure of mine. I quite like Oathbreaker too, but they're infinitely better live than on record imo.

Too bad you missed this, then! One of the most memorable shows of that year for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiiLwzICFwQ

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

So do you have Yellowcard and Green Day 196 times on you ipod with slightly different misspellings each time or something? Because I cant believe you can post things like this:

Dylstew posted:

Well, judging from their lyrics, STZA is probably a pretty weird guy. All the drugs, all the cop hate, the squatting and.....throwing donuts at cops?....yeah. Plus, accoarding to Fat Mike, he really smells. But than again, this is Fat Mike We're talking about.

Dylstew posted:

Idunno, There are some type of cops I hate and there are some type of cops I don't hate.
But The difference is that STZA Want all cops dead. Doesn't that go a bit too far?

when you had to have have at least through osmosis, understood the punk ethos. gently caress you.

also

Dylstew posted:

I have a whole bunch of music but all my bands are white english speakers with guitars. :qq:

You know what, here is something right up your alley based on your posts. It even is fronted by someone who is female! OMG!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeQUlr4Xc3s

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
i need to know if dylstew is going to count later crass or not

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

stay depressed posted:

i need to know if dylstew is going to count later crass or not

Can Dylstew post his playlist?

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013

Ras Het posted:

Can Dylstew post his playlist?

Sure. http://www.last.fm/user/dylstew
Note that it's EXTREMELY inaccurate when it comes to plays and date added and stuff, but it does right now have all bands in my music player right now.
I listened to stuff on my phone a lot(which has no internet connection), I've turned off scrobbling on winamp for a long time, and hwen I started using musicbee the scrobbling didn't work half of the time because of internet connection problems, and it not automaticly reconnecting. Bands I've listened to plenty of times have 0 plays.It looks strange. Luckily they fixed that bug now. Also, just because it's in there doesn't mean I like it all that much. Sum 41 for example is only there for nostalgia, it's the first band I ever really listened to. Looking back it sucks, but still nostalgic sometimes.

I've been trying to get into more like ''classic'' punk bands lately. I loved ''inflammable material'' by stiff little fingers.
Right now I'm listening to X's ''Los Angeles'', which coincidentally is female fronted.
Any suggestions on what band I should listen to after?

I'm not really actively looking for a female fronted band, it's just that I've always wondered that most bands I hear about don't even have a female in them. So I think it's nice whenever I come across one. You proved that there's plenty around, but I wonder why you hear a lot less about those.

Dylstew fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 5, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Probably because guitar-driven music has been male dominated throughout its history.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Stravinsky posted:

when you had to have have at least through osmosis, understood the punk ethos. gently caress you.

There's a big difference between "punk" and "shithead".

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

MondayHotDog posted:

There's a big difference between "punk" and "shithead".

But not between "cop" and "shithead".

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Ras Het posted:

But not between "cop" and "shithead".

That's true. Doesn't mean I want them dead though.

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013

MondayHotDog posted:

That's true. Doesn't mean I want them dead though.

This I agree with.

Also, not all punk bands share the same views. Crass and Fear have...very different lyrical themes..obviously. Who cares what's ''Punk'' Or not anymore anyways, the movement behind the music is pretty much dead now.
it was a short lived thing.

Dylstew fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 5, 2014

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

I was 100% sure punk was dead until Refused reformed and now I'm not so sure anymore. It's a multiplex thing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I cast Raise Undead on Punk.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Brb, gotta tell a lot of bands and some people I know that punk is dead and to wrap it up.

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 5, 2014

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Ras Het posted:

I was 100% sure punk was dead until Refused reformed and now I'm not so sure anymore. It's a multiplex thing.

I thought Refused were loving dead. :confused:

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Well this thread just got seven levels of awful just cause someone said maybe not all cops are bastards. Ideology is garbage, just listen to the music and enjoy it.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
Cool ideology you got there.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
i am already eating from the punk rock all of the time

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

This is tearing us apart. Can't we all just agree that all cops are bastards and move on???

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I prefer the "DIY ethics" and speaking your mind part of punk music. Not too interested in the political activism schtick.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yes I do realise political activism is also speaking your mind.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh and I like the "I don't give a gently caress what you think I'm going to be myself" attitude as well

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Ras Het posted:

This is tearing us apart. Can't we all just agree that all cops are bastards and move on???

I thought all the midwest emo pop-punk already tore us apart?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

I don't care about the music part of punk rock but I love white boy dreads, drug addicts with no personal ethics or sense of hygiene and dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Sick dude! A big fan of the Jam myself (Pearl Jam that is, sorry for any potential confusion). If you're into them, have you checked this out? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUb450Alpps