Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Either I have a whole ton of damage dealing cards, or I prepare a few combos to go right after each other to disable their healer cards. You can also try burning through all their available heal cards too, but that doesnt quite work if they've got a huge ton of those in reserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Shwqa posted:

:ducksiren: ascension just went free. There is no reason not to get it. :ducksiren:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ascension-chronicle-godslayer/id441838733?mt=8
Looks like it's got ads now though. That's pretty lovely for those of us that actually paid for it.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Allan Assiduity posted:

I was digging Card City Nights at first, but playing against the Stoneface guy makes me hope that the packs that he offers have few good cards and that there aren't too many "stalling" enemies, because the only alternative seems to be to turtle out, which is ultra-boring. Disabling enemies only seems worthwhile if you've already got a second attack combo ready to take out the double-health card they'll drop immediately afterwards, if you get a chance to disable it at all.

Even as someone who normally digs games like this a lot and it's different enough to keep me playing, it's annoying that the 'optimal' way to go seems so boring.

I have got all but 2 legendary cards and there has only be 3 stalling players I have seen. And you could skip 2 of them. But I would say stalling is not optimal. I just beat the last 20-30 battles or so with a rush deck. And the deck uses mostly uses early cards.

However Stall deck get less boring with card that make opponents discard. 5 Haku and 5 apathetic Jennys and you burn through 15 of their card right there. But mixed and rush decks work really well too. Fire sword, Jenny fox, ultra fishbunjin 3000, and little dew are awesome and are in the first two packs.

The stone face guy takes a while, but he deals poo poo damage. Just make a deck full of defense cards and make sure it is has more cards then him. Then you just play match 3 till he loses. You are at no risk.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 6, 2014

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

ImpactVector posted:

Looks like it's got ads now though. That's pretty lovely for those of us that actually paid for it.
There's a toggle at the bottom of the option menu to turn them off (I'm assuming only if you've bought something) but yes they're on by default.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Those playing Card City Nights on ios, is it playable on a phone?

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

I'm glad to see Card City Nights getting so much love, and I can only add to the chorus. I enjoyed the music as much as anything else, and I'm definitely grabbing the soundtrack.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Al Baron posted:

There's a toggle at the bottom of the option menu to turn them off (I'm assuming only if you've bought something) but yes they're on by default.
Ah ha, thanks!

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

double negative posted:

I'm glad to see Card City Nights getting so much love, and I can only add to the chorus. I enjoyed the music as much as anything else, and I'm definitely grabbing the soundtrack.

Yeah the soundtrack is kicking rad. I feel bad rushing through enemies because I don't get to hear the music for long.

I guess while we are on the topic I'll list my rush deck

Fire sword X3
Jenny fox X3
Star splitter X5
Eliminator X3
Really X3
Mildagard X3
Asha X2
Iosa
Flip hero
Ultra fishbunjin 3000
Pitch princess DX

Basically I just use the bottom row and the middle spot. The ideal combo is fire sword/jenny fox, star splitter/eliminator and Iosa. Asha and Mildagard makes this combo even stronger. Mildagard can also takes Iosa spot if you haven't pulled him yet. Really and ultra fishbunjin 3000 instantly combo with fire sword, jenny fox, and star splitter. Flip hero and pitch princess as quick get a of jail free cards. Also Iosa can survive pitch princess with a clever star splitter, fire sword, pitch princess combo.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SynthOrange posted:

Those playing Card City Nights on ios, is it playable on a phone?

I'm playing on a 5S. I have to tap-zoom the cards more than I would on an iPad, but it's perfectly playable.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

rotaryfun posted:

It can go on my phone, FTL cannot.

It is a poor poor typical mobile-gaming substitute.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
With Card City Nights, don't forget you can also win (or lose) by being unable to play a card. For Stoneface, I found it much quicker and easier to set up attacks then trigger then when he sets up a heal. Block a couple cards off from combos and he then gets stuck flooding the board and being unable to play rather quickly.

I think I need to start trimming my deck. Defense cards are practically worthless, and heals aren't great.

And yeah, I'm on a 4s and the game runs fine.

Vice Zoomler Aestro fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 6, 2014

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Zigmidge posted:

It is a poor poor typical mobile-gaming substitute.

I know I was bitching a little bit about Out There, but I think this is pretty unfair. It's not bad in the way mobile games normally are, it's just missing something to make it feel like a complete game and not a bunch of random events strung together.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

loudog999 posted:

My question is, should I buy some of the monster packs on my first play through?

I have my eye on the Vampires and Zombies pack but I am not clear what that brings to the game. Do these new monsters just start randomly showing up?

Yeah, the undead monster packs make undead monsters randomly show up in addition to the base game critters and orcs. Mixes things up nicely, I thought both undead packs added some nice variety.

What they don't do, is drop any new loot.

The two big quest dlcs are also good but their new monsters are locked off in their respective regions. No skaven in the base region, boo.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

loudog999 posted:

I have been paying a lot of Warhammer Quest, so much that I have done what I swore I would never do.. drop money for IAP in a paid game. So far I purchased the Warrior Priest for his jade ring and the dlc staff for the wizard. My question is, should I buy some of the monster packs on my first play through? I have my eye on the Vampires and Zombies pack but I am not clear what that brings to the game. Do these new monsters just start randomly showing up? If so, do they start dropping different loot that I would not normally have access to? I guess I am asking should I play with the vanilla monsters on my first play through and then play again with the added monsters.

I'll just quote myself from several pages back.

Helical Nightmares posted:

While Parkingtigers is essentially correct, I'll expand a bit. The Brutal Tribe (previous expansion) allows your adventurers to get up to level 8 and adds level appropriate difficulty in the shape of more Black Orcs, Brutal Orcs, Trolls and Spiders. The main tactical feature is pairing up web slinging creatures (Spiders, Giant Spiders) that essentially stun you for one round with heavy hitting creatures that have an invulnerable save (tattoos or scaly skin in the case of Brutal Orcs or Trolls respectively).

While there are new innovations in the story parts of the main quest (choices matter) the final dungeon's 'challenge' is essentially throw a bunch of debuffs and additional damage sources on your powerful characters and make them fight dudes with lots of hit points. Nothing innovative or tactically that challenging here.

You do however get a slew of new random events that makes travel and dungeon delving more flavorful.

There are three more warriors: Ogre Irongut, Bright Wizard, Shadow Warrior

Also it use to constantly crash on the iPhone 4, but they patched it so the expansion runs pretty smoothly. Editor's Note: Runs smoothly Now

The Undead Horde (Newest Expansions)

They released Necromancers and Skeletons, Vampires and Zombies and the Vampire Tileset. As Parkingtigers mentioned, all these upgrade the white quests.

According to Pocket Tactics the new tactical elements include: "“Necromancers can raise slain enemies, which means you really have to deal with them quickly,” says Murch. “However, they also have this spell called Crystal Maze. Crystal Maze transports and locks away one of your warriors for a few turns. If you kill the Necromancer whilst someone is in the Maze, they die! So, whilst dealing with him calling enemies back from the grave, you also have to choose your moment to slay him.”"

In addition Zombies can reduce stats by their proximity which forces care in the positioning of your forces.

I really like Warhammer Quest, but as Parkingtigers pointed out, each expansion is more of the same. However they do show that the developers have put in noticeable effort towards adding more interesting tactical elements within the restrictions of the genre and system.

Personally I'd wish they added random traps and bigger rooms (the latter like they have in Hunters 2) to make it more of a tactical wargame. Also I think adding a cemetery with a record of your best Hardcore characters, perhaps post-able to your Facebook wall, would go a long way to make the emergent gameplay more satisfying.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

I know I was bitching a little bit about Out There, but I think this is pretty unfair. It's not bad in the way mobile games normally are, it's just missing something to make it feel like a complete game and not a bunch of random events strung together.

As much as I'm in love with the presentation of Out There I have to agree. I wish this release was just a prototype and there were more mechanics to be added further down the pipeline.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Out There is genuinely fun, but the random "gently caress you" problems you can get handed are demotivating. Like getting wormholed to a star too far from any other star to jump to. Hope you find some ++distance tech on the one planet there!

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

edit: Dont mind me, moving this question over to the jailbreak thread.

loudog999 fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 6, 2014

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Calculords is fun, but man is the AI a bunch of cheats. I am stuck at the "crafty" Lego guy, and having him discard half of my hand and/or filling it with expensive poo poo locks me out of being able to fight back, especially because he can poo poo EIGHT cards a turn to my six at max. So he a) dumps all of my offensive or tactics, so let's say only two cards, b) gives me a junk card I have to cast, then c) deploys six strong units to the board. I just gave up on fighting him after twenty minutes, as when I was one turn from victory he played the 3 damage to everyone card plus a couple others to go from losing to having ten people on the board to my two, which then died. Then he filled the board with pushers and mines and I didn't feeling like crawling back over the next twenty minutes again. Jesus Christ.

I ended up using the same deck I used against Sgt. Blok against that guy, and it worked just fine. Tons of Push units, a few cheap multi-unit cards, and then some few attack buffs (preferably from units, but tactics are fine, too). Focus on completely jamming up one lane, crushing all his units against his base. He doesn't seem to ever make you discard Push units, and it doesn't matter how good his units are when they only get one turn before being compacted. Enough Push units in a single lane plus the Semtex tactic from Cpl. Krak will crush him.

The guy immediate after him, though, goddamn. Soldier-killing splash damage and mind-controlling tactics and a lane I can't even play to hosed me up real quick. I don't see how you get past him without seeing him in action at least once.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

So the IOS port of Knock-Knock was released. :stare:

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

double negative posted:

The game is great. It's also the most overtly homosexual thing I have ever seen in my life. It's hilarious.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

my lovely cat posted:

It's also the most overtly homosexual thing I have ever seen in my life. It's hilarious.

Esplain, please?

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Have a long flight coming up, so was thinking of getting FFVI for a bit of nostalgia. Does it require any sort of internet connection or am I good to run some ugly sprites around for 6-8hrs?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

my lovely cat posted:

The game is great. It's also the most overtly homosexual thing I have ever seen in my life. It's hilarious.

Have you played Robot Unicorn Attack 2? It's pretty splendidly gay.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Have you played Robot Unicorn Attack 2? It's pretty splendidly gay.
Especially if you buy the Neverending Story music IAP.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

LIMBO KING posted:

Oh my god is this port any good? :stare:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I just bought this because of 2 things:

1) The Trailer
2) the words "Slayin" and "1000000" mentioned by Toucharcade in their preview
3) The Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChIZO2h36wI

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Feenix posted:

1) The Trailer
3) The Trailer

I don't know how the game can be anything but a disappointment after that trailer, but I'm going to go find out.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Subjunctive posted:

I don't know how the game can be anything but a disappointment after that trailer, but I'm going to go find out.

I'm early on, but this is fun. It's possibly(?) a little more superficial and immediate (maybe not, not far in...) but it is fun. I dig it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Feenix posted:

1) The Trailer
3) The Trailer

Holy poo poo. Now that's how you do a trailer.

I like puzzles. I like RPGs. Ridiculously awesome trailer. Yeah, that's worth a couple bucks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Feenix posted:

I'm early on, but this is fun. It's possibly(?) a little more superficial and immediate (maybe not, not far in...) but it is fun. I dig it.

Anyone else have screen scaling issues? I'm on an iPad Air and it seems like the left and right...inch? are cut off. The twitter and fb icons on the title screen are half missing, f.e., and when I'm in a shop I only see half the cancel button on the right.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Feenix posted:

Esplain, please?

I mean if the semi-naked cowboy card didn't tip you off, the scene in The Hunk Bar with the rainbows and all the talk about how much they love moustaches should have

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

LIMBO KING posted:

Nabbed this, in accordance with my pact to keep buying ice pick games until they rerelease pathologic with a better English translation.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Heliotic posted:

Nabbed this, in accordance with my pact to keep buying ice pick games until they rerelease pathologic with a better English translation.

What's up, icepick bro? I've given up hope for a better translation, so I'm currently enjoying the horrible mess that is the Devotress scenario.

On topic, it seems a pretty good port. No crashes and quick load times so far. I've only played 5 minutes, so YMMV.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Feenix posted:

1) The Trailer
3) The Trailer

Yes, thankyou, I will give them my money for the trailer alone - I can't wait for the full movie. And I'm a sucker for anything JK Rowling likes.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

opaopa13 posted:

The guy immediate after him, though, goddamn. Soldier-killing splash damage and mind-controlling tactics and a lane I can't even play to hosed me up real quick. I don't see how you get past him without seeing him in action at least once.

I actually did managed to beat him on my first try anyway, with the same deck I used for the previous two Commanders, but only by 1 HP and only because Push Units + Deploy Semtex is an incredible combination.

I'm pretty sure Splash Damage wrecks this strategy, though.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Fat Samurai posted:

What's up, icepick bro? I've given up hope for a better translation, so I'm currently enjoying the horrible mess that is the Devotress scenario.

On topic, it seems a pretty good port. No crashes and quick load times so far. I've only played 5 minutes, so YMMV.

They're making a complete remake of pathological and doing translation in house. It's just there isn't much info on it atm. Can't wait for it regardless.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Block Legend is outstanding and is the exact kind of game people in this thread would enjoy. (NO IAP!!!)

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I am looking for around 3-5 goons to begin the beta testing of a game that I'm developing. I'm using test flight for distribution so having an account there will be needed. Requirements for the beta test for now are: 1) An iOS 7+ Phone (no iPads for now), a GameCenter account, and an enjoyment of timer games. If you are interested, send me a PM with your email.

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 8, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

io_burn posted:

Block Legend is outstanding and is the exact kind of game people in this thread would enjoy. (NO IAP!!!)

I'm loving it. Other than StarBlocks unlocking extra levels and characters is there any persistent level up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Block Legend suffers from the same thing that Slayin' does in the sense that I don't really feel like I'm making any progress simply by playing the game.

Sure, back in the golden age of gaming this wouldn't really be that big of a deal, but we've kind of come to expect some sort of persistent gain/reward system with games lately, especially mobile games with character unlocks and such, and there's absolutely nothing of the sort in BL.

• Locked thread