Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Hooray flash sales :toot:

Grabbed Thief, Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion and Still Walking.

If I win the grand prize I'm just going to show up at their offices. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I wound up buying Thief and Repo Man. Would have grabbed Eating Raoul but I forgot that they had it until I was staring at the order confirmation screen.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I just got Tokyo Drifter on Amazon because the site wasn't working and with shipping it'd cost the same. Too bad I missed out on that golden ticket opportunity.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Only counts for in-stock items...and both Fantastic Mr. Fox and Solaris are back ordered :smithicide:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I'm bummed I didn't purchase in time for the tickets..

Picked up Eclipse 24: Dramas of Allan King and for $13 I figure Blue is the Warmest Color wasn't a bad purchase.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

caiman posted:

What a lame grand prize.

A little clarification from the newsletter:

"Twenty lucky customers who shop during this flash sale will find golden tickets tucked into their orders. Those winners will get goodies ranging from Criterion shirts and other swag up to the grand prize: a virtual shopping spree via webcam to the Criterion product closet in our New York City office. Good luck!"

And it looks like tickets go out through the flash sale, so if you buy anything while the timer is still up, you might win!

I'm too pumped about this dumb-rear end lottery...

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Jay Dub posted:

Do you think they crammed those pallets of unreleased Ran blu-rays back into the closet?

I smell a heist.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Got The Battle of Algiers, Naked Lunch, The Man Who Knew Too Much, and The Lady Vanishes

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
It was my birthday so my brother got me "Thief" and "Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion" since I was at work and couldn't buy any Criterions.

Then I went home and got my own basket: Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman, John Cassavetes: Five Films, Band of Outsiders, Marketa Lazarová, Ministry of Fear, Pier Paolo Pasolini's Trilogy of Life, and Weekend (Godard). And I totally forgot to use my $50 gift certificate from before, so I may get more tomorrow.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

"The sale is over!

Thanks for participating!"

Nuts! :argh:

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
My coworker (who has at various times had every OOP Criterion) told me about this as soon as I got in today, so I got:

8 1/2
Anatomy of a Murder
In The Mood For Love
Life of Brian
The Music Room
Ugetsu
Z

several of which I can't believe I've held off on for this long.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
Picked up Thief, Foreign Correspondent, and Kes. Hopefully they're all good because they're blind buys...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Momotaros posted:

Picked up Thief, Foreign Correspondent, and Kes. Hopefully they're all good because they're blind buys...

Foreign Correspondent is Hitchcock so yes it is good.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

By the time I got to the site, they were sold out of the two I wanted (City Lights and It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World). Not terrible since by the time the first B&N sale comes along, The Freshman and The Life Aquatic will be out, plus the June releases.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Gotta be LOVE STREAMS!! Yay!! One of my favorite Cassavetes!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Egbert Souse posted:

By the time I got to the site, they were sold out of the two I wanted (City Lights and It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World). Not terrible since by the time the first B&N sale comes along, The Freshman and The Life Aquatic will be out, plus the June releases.

I passed on this sale just because Life Aquatic wasn't eligible. Otherwise, I easily would've spent $80-ish.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FitFortDanga posted:

Yay, more Cassavetes is always a good thing.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Received my package today! I'm surprised how quick it came for being free shipping. I don't know what I expected, but the mug is so-so. It's nice and all, but the logo would easily scratch off. Kind of wish I would have used the money to buy another movie, but oh well, there is always next time.

When is the next B&N sale? I have full blown Criterion fever now

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Dr.Caligari posted:

Received my package today! I'm surprised how quick it came for being free shipping. I don't know what I expected, but the mug is so-so. It's nice and all, but the logo would easily scratch off. Kind of wish I would have used the money to buy another movie, but oh well, there is always next time.

When is the next B&N sale? I have full blown Criterion fever now

B&N sales happen every July and November, pretty much. Welcome to the club, and say goodbye to all your money :toot:

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

FitFortDanga posted:

Wowza! This is the most excited I've been for a Criterion release in a long time.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I got my package but no golden ticket, aww. Best of luck to the rest of you in that department!

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

How do you say "Criterion"? I don't know any 'movie people' so I can't recall ever hearing anyone say it.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Dr.Caligari posted:

How do you say "Criterion"? I don't know any 'movie people' so I can't recall ever hearing anyone say it.

I always say it "CRY" "TEAR" "REE" "IN".

Edit: Ha, I like 'criter' 'ion' too though. I'm not the best at pronouncing things too - for the longest time I thought Kanye West was 'Cain West.'

Foyes36 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 4, 2014

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dr.Caligari posted:

Cry-tear-eon

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Hewlett posted:

B&N sales happen every July and November, pretty much. Welcome to the club, and say goodbye to all your money :toot:

Amazon and Best Buy have sales as well, though I don't recall if they're held at regular times.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Ha. I didn't figure I was saying it right. I had been putting my midwest/southern spin on it and say "CRIT-air-un"

"Hey You'uns got any of dem CRIT-air-un movies"

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

It's criteria with an n at the end (i.e. the singular form of the word).

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Cross posting from the DVD deal thread..

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Dr.Caligari posted:

Cross posting from the DVD deal thread..

I already have the zatoichi collection (seriously, if anyone wants all 25 zatoichi films, the box is 105 bucks).

Would anyone personally recommend any of the other films?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

I already have the zatoichi collection (seriously, if anyone wants all 25 zatoichi films, the box is 105 bucks).

I've never seen it, but a lot of people are going to pipe up about Repo Man.

I'm personally intrigued by Frances Ha (I like Gerwig), but I don't think I'm willing to gamble $20.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I have yet to see a Zatoichi film (shame on me) but among the others, Rififi is my favorite.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

City Lights is one of the two or three greatest movies ever made, but man, Nashville for 20 bucks is a STEAL.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ineffiable posted:

I "Just Like" Frances Ha, while the rest of those films are almost ridiculously good.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Frances Ha is on netflix streaming if you're curious.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Rififi is an amazing crime movie. Like one of the best.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I live in Canada but the US Amazon site will deliver for a shipping charge (which is why I might combine shipping with more than one item). I plan on getting at least Repo Man.
I noticed that a lot of their Criterion prices are around $25 USD while they're $40 CAD on the Canadian site.

I've only just begun keeping an eye out for Criterion deals. How often are there sales (and does anyone know if they cater to Canadian addresses as well)? Is it worth waiting?

Going over the blu-ray list I made a wishlist of around 13 films and the price difference is tempting me to go hog wild.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Tomero_the_Great posted:

I live in Canada but the US Amazon site will deliver for a shipping charge (which is why I might combine shipping with more than one item). I plan on getting at least Repo Man.
I noticed that a lot of their Criterion prices are around $25 USD while they're $40 CAD on the Canadian site.

I've only just begun keeping an eye out for Criterion deals. How often are there sales (and does anyone know if they cater to Canadian addresses as well)? Is it worth waiting?

Going over the blu-ray list I made a wishlist of around 13 films and the price difference is tempting me to go hog wild.

B&N can take a while to ship and sales only happen twice a year, but it's usually the best option. The shipping isn't free but it's not unreasonable. However last time someone mentioned that Cineplex apparently sells physical copies of movies which includes some (not all) Criterions, and you also get free movie passes to go along with it! They had a Boxing Day sale where everything was 50% off, not sure if they'll do anything more frequent than that.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Cineplex does a 50% off sale and a buy one get one but I couldn't tell you when they did the B1G1. The Criterion selection they have is huge, you just have to search by the UPC codes or its actual foreign title (ie at the time Wild Strawberries didn't show up, only "Smultronstället" did. They're lacking on the bigger boxsets though such as Zatoichi.

Shipping is free and really fast (for me I got everything next business day compared to B&N next business month...), plus you get SCENE points and sometimes movie passes as well if they go nuts with the promotions.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Red posted:

I've never seen it, but a lot of people are going to pipe up about Repo Man.

I'm personally intrigued by Frances Ha (I like Gerwig), but I don't think I'm willing to gamble $20.

It's on Netflix and is quite good if you like modern American independent films. It's kind of like The Graduate, but 4-5 years later when you're in that early post-college haze of WTF to do with your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

It's on Netflix and is quite good if you like modern American independent films. It's kind of like The Graduate, but 4-5 years later when you're in that early post-college haze of WTF to do with your life.

I really loved The Dish and The Spoon, so it sounds up my alley.