Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

TwoPair posted:

This one was weird because it seemed to be two episodes in one. The touching PUP plot seemed like its own episode, but then the wacky Native American aliens seemed like they could've just come from some other episode and the two plots didn't mesh really well to me.

That was the problem I had. I was still tearing up over the first part being incredibly poignant and just generally touching as a fan of the space program and someone who lost a dog recently. The second half honestly felt kinda forced and was honestly a let down. They cold have extended the dog bit and dwelled more on space dog and it'd have been beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
This week's episode was the first so far that I wouldn't mind never seeing again. Practically dozed off.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Fat Meow was certainly its saving grace, if anything. This is certainly the lull before the show gets Bebop next week.

Zeether posted:

Also that one plant that followed Dandy a lot sounded like a Tachikoma.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I found the little plant daughter pretty endearing.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 3, 2014

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
This episode was one of my favorites so far, even if only for the art and soundtrack. Different strokes, though, I guess.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I liked it, it was a really interesting change of pace and the trippy music/visuals were really cool. Also that one plant that followed Dandy a lot sounded like a Tachikoma.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Did no one else laugh at the dog thing? Everything about it felt like a ridiculous parody of dog melodrama.

Also the latest one was definitely one of the few actually good episodes. The art, animation and music is the reason I'm watching this, and with a few exceptions of attempting to be wacky like fat Meow, that's what the episode focused on.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Mercrom posted:

Did no one else laugh at the dog thing? Everything about it felt like a ridiculous parody of dog melodrama.

You're not the only one, I mean I don't really think it was a cynical take on "dog death in fiction" or anything but Meow breaking down made me lol hard.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I liked the art and all, but the story didn't capture me. Guess I would've enjoyed getting deeper into the plant bourgeoisie and the class oppression, there were several parts where I got really interested in the setting, but ultimately the focus wasn't where I wanted, which is fair, the story had an aim and the stuff I enjoyed was side stuff that needed to exist for their goal.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Well that was a trip... but I don't think it was a particularly interesting trip.

The art was definitely the strength here, but it wasn't enough to carry an episode for me.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Ep 10 promotional spot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCo6YvKqiiI

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

What the hell is with QT. "Want to shoot me in the face and see if I wake up tomorrow?"

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

What the hell is with QT. "Want to shoot me in the face and see if I wake up tomorrow?"

Dropped :shepicide:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Has anyone posted this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvEJ-8n7E0Y

And it works the other way too:

He's a fabulous guy... in space.

Rass P
Nov 23, 2012

by Ralp
what was with that one scene that had nothing to do with what happened before or after it and it was just plants singing while space dandy lay supine with a weird look on his face and the camera zoomed into his eye

Rass P fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 4, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Rass P posted:

what was with that one scene that had nothing to do with what happened before or after it and it was just plants singing while space dandy lay supine with a weird look on his face and the camera zoomed into his eye

The people who made this episode are batshit insane.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I liked the art and all, but the story didn't capture me. Guess I would've enjoyed getting deeper into the plant bourgeoisie and the class oppression, there were several parts where I got really interested in the setting, but ultimately the focus wasn't where I wanted, which is fair, the story had an aim and the stuff I enjoyed was side stuff that needed to exist for their goal.

Ever seen Kaiba? Go watch Kaiba.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Woah. Trippy as hell episode, with a kinda boring plot. I think I actually got a headache from how amorphous and warped everything was... I'm pretty sure I don't want to see this one ever again, even though it wasn't horrible or anything. Just kinda dull. And gave me headaches.

It's amazing how much this show changes tone from episode to episode, though. I kinda want to check out each new episode just out of curiosity...

Also, the longer intro sucked. Yeah, I said it :mad:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Torquemadras posted:

Also, the longer intro sucked. Yeah, I said it :mad:

A lot of people here have had opinions that I disagree with, and that's their right. However, saying Viva Namida sucks is just objectively wrong. :colbert:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Waffleman_ posted:

A lot of people here have had opinions that I disagree with, and that's their right. However, saying Viva Namida sucks is just objectively wrong. :colbert:

Gotta go with Torque on this. Not that Viva Namida is bad, but I would definitely rather have an extended cut of that awesome track in the short US opening.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I was high as poo poo when I watched the newest episode and really enjoyed it but even then I noticed that a good amount of the episode was just scenery and music. Definitely one of the slower ones but I do like the variety I get with this show. Other than the previews I usually don't know what to expect each week.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Gotta go with Torque on this. Not that Viva Namida is bad, but I would definitely rather have an extended cut of that awesome track in the short US opening.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. It's not bad, I just really liked the US opening better. The ending is pretty lackluster, though, definitely.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
I liked the Funky US opening more. It's actually even more fitting than Viva Namida for the show.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I like the Japanese OP but the shorter English one felt more natural to me, if not a little Bebop-ish.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Break Blade is airing in Dandy's Japanese timeslot starting in April, which is the final confirmation that the show is only airing 13 episodes for now.

On the plus side Watanabe confirmed the show is 26 episodes so it'll be back at some point.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

aers posted:

Break Blade is airing in Dandy's Japanese timeslot starting in April, which is the final confirmation that the show is only airing 13 episodes for now.

On the plus side Watanabe confirmed the show is 26 episodes so it'll be back at some point.

Isn't it because of CN that they'll make 26 episodes total instead of 13? Either they haven't finished preproduction of the rest or the timeslot was already reserved.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

Isn't it because of CN that they'll make 26 episodes total instead of 13? Either they haven't finished preproduction of the rest or the timeslot was already reserved.

It is definitely not finished yet. 1-13 were finished around January (maybe earlier) and they started working on 14-26 then.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
So this is all paid for, both cours, right? Doesn't matter how well it's doing in the ratings or BR sales?

I only ask because it appears to be selling horribly. So far this show that I don't think I can link to without at least being put on Probation judging from the amazon.jp picture, has sold almost twice as many copies. And even that won't get a second season with those numbers.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
So this is from a few weeks back, but in case anyone was wondering, that star-surfing song from episode 6 is called "Stardust Pipeline" by Junk Fujiyama. It's for sale on Japanese Amazon and iTunes only, though, but if you like the song as much as I did (as you should :colbert:), you can create a Japanese iTunes account and buy a Japanese iTunes card (or something similar for Amazon) and buy the song!

Here's the iTunes version (track #12) and here's the Amazon version, for those interested.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Zogundar posted:

So this is all paid for, both cours, right? Doesn't matter how well it's doing in the ratings or BR sales?

I only ask because it appears to be selling horribly. So far this show that I don't think I can link to without at least being put on Probation judging from the amazon.jp picture, has sold almost twice as many copies. And even that won't get a second season with those numbers.

The second cour is in production. We recently found out Yuasa's episode is actually #16 and he completed that a while ago so...

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
Hulu seems to be running a week behind. Suddenly, I'm wishing I actually paid for cable television so I could be completely caught up.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Yeah I'm pretty sure this is one show that doesn't have to worry about funding. There are just so many more people in the United States that a US based company like Cartoon Network easily has the pockets to cancel out bad Blu-Ray sales in Japan.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

sincx posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is one show that doesn't have to worry about funding. There are just so many more people in the United States that a US based company like Cartoon Network easily has the pockets to cancel out bad Blu-Ray sales in Japan.

Also, if we are lucky, CN itself may release the Blu-Rays in English. This is merely my wishful thinking, though.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Zogundar posted:

If it's any consolation it was the top rated show in the anime block on CN for at least a few weeks.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://space-dandy.com/episode/10/

Japanese page for the episode.

Spoilers: Robots

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Zogundar posted:

The Blu-Ray won't be out until the end of April, so it's all preorders. Cowboy Bebop also didn't do that well in Japan.
Could you also link your source for the sales, Amazon only has a little helpful ranking.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

The Blu-Ray won't be out until the end of April, so it's all preorders. Cowboy Bebop also didn't do that well in Japan.
Could you also link your source for the sales, Amazon only has a little helpful ranking.

The site takes that into account somehow. I think. There's a show that's sold less and is coming out a month sooner that still has a much higher rank.

http://www27392u.sakura.ne.jp/index_news.cgi

As of this post it's ranked at 2,490.
*EDIT*
I'm not sure what happened but I guess I was looking at an expired page? It's actually even lower, 2,934 (Which is down from 2,815.)

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 7, 2014

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

Hulu seems to be running a week behind. Suddenly, I'm wishing I actually paid for cable television so I could be completely caught up.

What about a FUNimation EVS subscription?

ArcadePark posted:

Also, if we are lucky, CN itself may release the Blu-Rays in English. This is merely my wishful thinking, though.

FUNimation will be handling those.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Blatantly Ideon :allears:

e: hahaha, also literally Endless 8

Zorak fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 9, 2014

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Was that the Tem Ray Circuit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Zombie episode was topped. This was utterly amazing.

• Locked thread