Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah sorry that did look like JSON to my untrained eye! But I'd never seen LUA before, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
A brief summary of today's testing experience:

The colony of Greater Bronzepipe made one key mistake in its formation, namely that I created opium instead of cabbages. Since opium grows faster than cabbages, colonists soon found themselves unable to keep up with the demand in their opium fields, leading to no cabbage being harvested. As a result, they were consequently unprepared for the Invasion of the Fishpeople that I decided to drop on them to test the combat.

It was a slaughter. Numerous people died due to a) being too busy hauling opium into stockpiles to bother running, or b) chopping up their now-dead comrades for food due to a low-quality cabbage harvest. The one surviving soldier, for some reason, refused to shoot any fishpeople, instead spending his time installing Middle-Class Windows on a nearby building and assembling bookshelves. People would then be driven increasingly mad due to the presence of a) unburied fishpeople corpses (which you currently can't dispose of in game) and b) eating nothing but a diet of human flesh.

I don't know who actually ended up killing the fish people; I think it was hungry colonists who just happened to have very large axes.

Efforts to restore colony morale through building a Brewery proved uncooperative. Cabbages and wheat were produced, but my immigration wave consisted of nothing but a peasant, a poet (who promptly went off and kept staring at the same pile of bricks, trying to be inspired to verse, and failing), and an aristocrat, who promptly started measuring people's heads and noting who was a suspected cultist (as it turns out, nearly everybody). Then the game crashed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That sounds a lot more like the sims than dwarf fortress.

You put an actual game behind the sims...

You maniac...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nvining posted:

The colony of Greater Bronzepipe made one key mistake in its formation, namely that I created opium instead of cabbages. Since opium grows faster than cabbages, colonists soon found themselves unable to keep up with the demand in their opium fields, leading to no cabbage being harvested. As a result, they were consequently unprepared for the Invasion of the Fishpeople that I decided to drop on them to test the combat.

It was a slaughter. Numerous people died due to a) being too busy hauling opium into stockpiles to bother running, or b) chopping up their now-dead comrades for food due to a low-quality cabbage harvest. The one surviving soldier, for some reason, refused to shoot any fishpeople, instead spending his time installing Middle-Class Windows on a nearby building and assembling bookshelves. People would then be driven increasingly mad due to the presence of a) unburied fishpeople corpses (which you currently can't dispose of in game) and b) eating nothing but a diet of human flesh.

I don't know who actually ended up killing the fish people; I think it was hungry colonists who just happened to have very large axes.

Efforts to restore colony morale through building a Brewery proved uncooperative. Cabbages and wheat were produced, but my immigration wave consisted of nothing but a peasant, a poet (who promptly went off and kept staring at the same pile of bricks, trying to be inspired to verse, and failing), and an aristocrat, who promptly started measuring people's heads and noting who was a suspected cultist (as it turns out, nearly everybody). Then the game crashed.

Ship it.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

nvining posted:

A typical day in Queens, NY. This is a common occurrence here.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star

nvining posted:

Then the game crashed.

Clearly the aristocrat got around to sizing up your head and figured that you, too, were a suspected cultist. He then severed you from the now independently existing simulation so as to minimise your corrupting influence.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

nvining posted:

a poet (who promptly went off and kept staring at the same pile of bricks, trying to be inspired to verse, and failing)

Roger Waters?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I might be more excited for the LPs of this then even playing myself at this point.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 7, 2014

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

nvining posted:

Over here greedily stroking my golden ticket

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

StarkRavingMad posted:

Over here greedily stroking my golden ticket

Gross dude!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Yeah that sounds stable already, ship it.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
Sounds like the game is as playable as Dwarf Fortress already!
Too bad it needs to be playable by normal human beings before release.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I like that it sounds like regular colonists don't need any kind of directions to start eating human flesh, they just need to be hungry. Why is this something I like.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

AndroidHub posted:

Why is this something I like.

Because it means that your colonists won't starve themselves to death when there's an ample supply of food available? It's a QoL thing :colbert:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Well it sounds like maybe they need the non-ambulatory human flesh lying around at the time when no other alternatives are available, too.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Do they draw lots or just eat the slowest first.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Cannibalism is traditional of course. If done properly.

Now I want to make my colony like The Lottery.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just curious, is there any possibility of a Colour Out of Space thing going on in this game? It seems like it would fit, and I would totally like to do all of my farming in the blasted heath. Some giant glowing vegetables would be great for exporting.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Eonwe posted:

Just curious, is there any possibility of a Colour Out of Space thing going on in this game? It seems like it would fit, and I would totally like to do all of my farming in the blasted heath. Some giant glowing vegetables would be great for exporting.

They tried, but the problem was every modern graphics card crashed when they tried to render a nonexistent color.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What, you mean your browser doesn't parse #FHTAGN correctly as the colour of the void itself?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
In the absence of an actual color I always imagined as kind of a glowing opalescent pink-purple type of thing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

President Ark posted:

They tried, but the problem was every modern graphics card crashed when they tried to render a nonexistent color.

Well, you can have a distortion field at the center and all around it things begin to rot and break down in horrible ways.

That story is probably Lovecraft's best work, it's so friggan creepy.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/03/12/march-technical-status-update-hrrrrrrrngh-edition/

Mild technical news and a couple of screenshots. Starting to look real purdy now.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

nvining posted:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/03/12/march-technical-status-update-hrrrrrrrngh-edition/

Mild technical news and a couple of screenshots. Starting to look real purdy now.
Not surprised at parts of the game not being discussed for PR purposes, it was heavily implied if not outright said before. When a build hits random internet people it would be good if they knew limitations of re: word-of-mouth and testing. A game with this large a scope is going to be hard to assess without breaking down to individual components. Rather curious about UI implementation after being told of Banished's approach but I don't know that component's current state.

Tags posted:

yesterday an entire colony got stuck standing around a pile of clay and getting in one anothers way saying "no you first" "sorry but I insist" and "pardon the bother"
Sounds like it's functioning properly to me?

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
I promise that I am a real journalist. Now tell me your secrets. :colbert:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Sounds like it's functioning properly to me?

Ship... It? :raise:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Sky Shadowing posted:

:golfclap:

Bit old, but I like that the stuff is being done through JSON. Hopeful for a metric ton of control. Control is key.

VVV I am ashamed. :ohdear:

It almost got me, too, but JS uses a colon to assign values to object property names:
Lua code:
{name= value}
vs
JavaScript code:
{name: value}

Volmaris posted:

Yes, that should be shipped in the game

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Munkeymon posted:

Yes, that should be shipped in the game

We all float down here...

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

quote:

yesterday an entire colony got stuck standing around a pile of clay and getting in one anothers way saying "no you first" "sorry but I insist" and "pardon the bother"

Glad to see that the Canadian influence is finally showing up in the game.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Volmarias posted:

Sounds like someone just tried recreating Portland.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

nvining posted:

I've been trying to ignore this thread for some months now so I wouldn't get too overly excited about this game while I wait for launch. Just read this blog post though.

I'm glad to see things are coming along. Can't wait!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I was chatting with a group of friends of mine in San Diego who had somehow had this game fly under their radars. They're all huge steampunk and/or Dwarf Fortress fans and how now giddy and excited. They then went out and shared the news with THEIR friends and about forty people at a Steam Powered Giraffe show who are now excitedly blabbing to everything they meet apparently. What did I start?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Viral marketing, apparently.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Bunch of devs are at GDC showing the game off right now, by the way.
I think there might be pictures when they get back.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

PCGamer got to have a hands on with the game today, here's what they said.

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/clockwork-empires-hands-on-life-and-death-on-the-frontier/

Overall the reception by people has been super positive and we're really happy about that!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Every time I see a screenshot it seems to look better and better...

Rydash
Dec 23, 2011

You got a real problem in here, gonna cost ya extra.
"Gaslamp hopes to release an early version of Clockwork Empires sometime this spring."

Well that's certainly a surprising way to end an article.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Rydash posted:

"Gaslamp hopes to release an early version of Clockwork Empires sometime this spring."

Well that's certainly a surprising way to end an article.

I'm hoping this is what my golden ticket bought me. If not an earlier play.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't pre-order on the site. Am I just being blind, or are they / you guys not taking pre-orders yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

I can't pre-order on the site. Am I just being blind, or are they / you guys not taking pre-orders yet.

Yeah, we don't have all the details about that stuff ready yet.

• Locked thread