Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Syntax Erin posted:

Say, have you heard of the Attack on Titan Burger? :burger:
http://kotaku.com/the-attack-on-titan-burgers-look-utterly-disgusting-1537609511

It's apparently a real thing, and it comes with all this:

Oh, what terrible beauty. This is both disgusting and brilliant. No joke. There is no way that the people who conceived this didn't see the delicious irony. Selling this wall of meat, with imagery of a skinless humanoid titan, exposed human flesh. Then you open wide to eat it, you mouth dripping with the fat and milk of lowly, captive animals. More sustenance than you'd ever need, you gorge yourself on the pleasure of flesh.

Oh holy poo poo it's made of Lotteria burgers too.

There wont be a single anus that survives that monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I really don't understand the point of a sandwich that big. At that point you can't even eat it like a sandwich.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

I really don't understand the point of a sandwich that big. At that point you can't even eat it like a sandwich.

Look at this scrub who can't unhinge his jaw

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Syntax Erin posted:

Say, have you heard of the Attack on Titan Burger? :burger:
http://kotaku.com/the-attack-on-titan-burgers-look-utterly-disgusting-1537609511

It's apparently a real thing, and it comes with all this:

Oh, what terrible beauty. This is both disgusting and brilliant. No joke. There is no way that the people who conceived this didn't see the delicious irony. Selling this wall of meat, with imagery of a skinless humanoid titan, exposed human flesh. Then you open wide to eat it, you mouth dripping with the fat and milk of lowly, captive animals. More sustenance than you'd ever need, you gorge yourself on the pleasure of flesh.

I'll be visiting Japan in a few weeks, hopefully this is still around when I get there. I'll let you know if it's good if I survive to post about it.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

I'll be visiting Japan in a few weeks, hopefully this is still around when I get there. I'll let you know if it's good if I survive to post about it.

If it is, write up an after-action report in GWS.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

It's us. We are the titans.

redneck sushi
Aug 5, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

Look at this scrub who can't unhinge his jaw

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Armin's come a long way hasn't he?

http://www.mangapark.com/manga/Shingeki-no-Kyojin/c55/3

Here is chapter 55, it's a poor translation but hey there you go. I gotta say I was right there with Zoe, when the torture started I was thinking "Heres your comeuppance, murderer." but near the end there I felt terrible for him. He just genuinely believes what he's doing is right and completely calls out Zoe there. I always like how Isayama puts a human face on the antagonists of the story.

At this point though we can probably determine the purpose of the walls was to "prevent war" and create a utopia. Which in characteristic fashion was pointed out back in chapter 1.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 7, 2014

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I though the translation (the one in mangareader) was pretty good, compared to what we have been seeing. At least I managed to understand all dialogs, that's good enough to me.

Except one thing: what Elvin asked his father?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

I though the translation (the one in mangareader) was pretty good, compared to what we have been seeing. At least I managed to understand all dialogs, that's good enough to me.

Except one thing: what Elvin asked his father?

Why they don't know anything from before 100 years ago. His father couldn't answer in the classroom, the answer was the government wiped everyone's memory.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Dear lord, he's off the deep end. Again.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
So this confirms Annie does have the ability to control Titans in some capacity?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Well, that got dark in a hurry. I thought they were going to get Eren to test his Voice on the prisoners instead of just hurting them.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So what I'm reading / theorizing is that someone (the royal family?) wanted to make a utopia, so they started making people into titans to make a threat against humanity, while also killing another bird with the same stone by using those titan people to make the walls themselves, giving them a safe, structured area to control completely (hence wiping out all previous records).

The humans that didn't wind up getting roped into the plan are the ones outside of the walls, maybe? And thus they are the good guys trying to undue the royal family corralling humanity for their own control.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Missing Name posted:

Dear lord, he's off the deep end. Again.

Is he doing his best Chuckles impression or something?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

So what I'm reading / theorizing is that someone (the royal family?) wanted to make a utopia, so they started making people into titans to make a threat against humanity, while also killing another bird with the same stone by using those titan people to make the walls themselves, giving them a safe, structured area to control completely (hence wiping out all previous records).

The humans that didn't wind up getting roped into the plan are the ones outside of the walls, maybe? And thus they are the good guys trying to undue the royal family corralling humanity for their own control.

People can be both victims and assholes.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

So are the wall titans the human-kind and they just sacrificed themselves for it/the greater good? If they are I wonder what THEY know.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Reiner and Berthold would be the closest to a legitimate depiction of left wing antagonists I've seen in media. Remember when fascism was subtext but not the outright text?

This goddamn manga.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PaganGoatPants posted:

So are the wall titans the human-kind and they just sacrificed themselves for it/the greater good? If they are I wonder what THEY know.

Good point. I assumed that Erwin talking about humans get turned into titans, then titans get turned into the walls implied that it was all planned from the start, and possibly that the titans were created almost specifically for building the walls. Considering that it's pretty much confirmed that most (all?) titans were once human, I'd also assume that the ones in the walls know just as much as the royalty.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I think you're right. The pieces mostly fit. While Ymir said that being in a titan is like an endless nightmare, Eren's dreamstate seems to suggest it keeps the pilot placated and unaware of the world around them. At first I was like "Who would sign up to be a wall titan?" in this current discussion but if you get some Vanilla Sky setup while also protecting humanity, that's probably something a lot of people would jump at the chance for. My only concern with infiltrator faction being "the good guys" is their original objective before finding Eren was to exterminate all the humans in the walls. They might be the underdog but still, genocide is beyond a last resort measure.

Now that I think about it. Nick says that the wall cult and by extension I would guess the Reiss family doesn't know everything. So the Reiss family might be bad guys but I don't know if they're the ones behind the whole situation.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Now that I think about it. Nick says that the wall cult and by extension I would guess the Reiss family doesn't know everything. So the Reiss family might be bad guys but I don't know if they're the ones behind the whole situation.

It'd be interesting if the original royal family that set the whole thing up kept their kids out of the knowledge of their doings. So the current generation of royals don't even know the history itself due to the government cover-ups. They'd thus be the villains without even knowing they were.

e: As for infiltrators being good guys, I could understand maybe that they wanted to wipe out the humans inside as revenge for 'unleashing' the titans on the world for selfish gains, but I'm not sure if that fits together with them not needing to once finding out about Eren. Maybe because Eren can control titans, they think they can use him to just tear down the walls by commanding the titans within?

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 7, 2014

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

e: As for infiltrators being good guys, I could understand maybe that they wanted to wipe out the humans inside as revenge for 'unleashing' the titans on the world for selfish gains, but I'm not sure if that fits together with them not needing to once finding out about Eren. Maybe because Eren can control titans, they think they can use him to just tear down the walls by commanding the titans within?

I'm sure there's more to it than that. I really feel like the current King is a titan himself or something. He certainly has the same old old old wine in his room (that has the ancient language on it).

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SO THAT is why there were no handheld guns or any attempt of flight tech against the Titans. That always bothered me since the start, drat.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I'm betting the king is the ape titan.

eladank
Feb 22, 2013
So according to this chapter 3d gear is from before the wall, if so why did the monkey titan didn't recognize it?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

eladank posted:

So according to this chapter 3d gear is from before the wall, if so why did the monkey titan didn't recognize it?

Dunno. If he's never been anywhere near the humans before he wouldn't have seen it no matter when it was devised.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

eladank posted:

He probably never encountered humans before.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Now we have a definite explanation for the mostly primitive technology mixed with the more modern; It's been deliberately suppressed (the stuff not directly designed to fight Titans).

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Soulcleaver posted:

Arminface.jpg
Now I'm awaiting the tweet where Isayama admits this is the edited version of what he wanted to actually draw like the last time.

Only to see an even more hosed up image.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Crunchy should be out but I'm just seeing blanks.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Captain Backslap posted:

Crunchy should be out but I'm just seeing blanks.

I've never gotten their reader to work in Chrome. Try switching to a different browser if you're looking at in Chrome.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

eladank posted:

I didn't notice them saying that. If true, it would blatantly contradict Before the Fall. I guess that answers the canonicity question.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
It's up on Crunchy now. The first time I read it, I didn't catch that they were forcing the second prisoner to read from a prepared speech. That's pretty drat crafty.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yall can have your loving titan fights and poo poo, this is what I want to see animated.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Well, there go Armin and Zoe, holy gently caress. I kind of wonder what they would've done with Sanes if the Reiss family hadn't been the actual royal family. I mean, assuming he's even telling the truth and isn't just saying whatever to get out of torture. Wouldn't that be a grand way for Erwin's coup to fail? :unsmigghh:

I appreciate how Jean is consistently the conscience of the group.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Saagonsa posted:

Yall can have your loving titan fights and poo poo, this is what I want to see animated.
Political debate and torture scenes?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I could imagine that while a battle is taking place, the memory-wiping lady suddenly appears and wipes Erwin and Hange and the Survey Corps veterans of their memories, making them forget why they're fighting or how to fight, and then the royal troops seize the opportunity and arrest and hang the veterans.

If we're talking about all the ways the rebellion can go horribly awry...

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 8, 2014

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Soulcleaver posted:

torture scenes?

By animated I meant more along the lines of given voices and sound effects, but yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I could imagine that while a battle is taking place, the memory-wiping lady suddenly appears and wipes Erwin and Hange and the Survey Corps veterans of their memories, making them forget why they're fighting or how to fight, and then the royal troops seize the opportunity and arrest and hang the veterans.

If we're talking about all the ways the rebellion can go horribly awry...

That would be somewhat of an abrupt ending to the manga.