Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I ate a Gunshow tonight and it was a great time. It is hard to say no to anything they bring out, so I was full and ready to leave before two of the dishes I was eyeing ever came my way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yeah, I really do like gunshow. it's fun, if nothing else - and most of the food I've had has been pretty good.

went to woodfire grill tonight, and it was great foodwise. I think it's the first time I've done alacarte there, and just ordered pretty much all their starters in lieu of entrees, but was v. tasty. a few fun tricks too, macaroons of smoked beet, some 'buffalo' brussels sprouts that lived up to their name, a 'loaded baked potato' gnocchi that was solid. Place is a bit pricey, but I feel like I marginalize it a bit when thinking of Atlanta fine dining. it's been around long enough and continues to be good enough that I guess it should count among one of the better places in the city to get food...

WFG won out over the spence too in our decision making process, just because we decided we usually spend 140+ at the spence (which is a lot!) and neither of us could remember a dish we had and loved there. Sorry Blais :(

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 23, 2014

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Has the service improved at Gunshow? It seemed like there were quite a few kinks when I went there last a couple of months ago.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Ate at Gunshow again tonight after not being able to get it out of my mind all week. I love the experience, but it is loving expensive. I spent $162 just by myself with no alcohol. What the gently caress is wrong with me?

confonnit posted:

Has the service improved at Gunshow? It seemed like there were quite a few kinks when I went there last a couple of months ago.

What were your issues at that time?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good restaurants nearby, with the catch being that I am significantly lactose and gluten intolerant, and allergic to most seafood. Pretty much all I eat out now is steak, bbq, and chinese, which are the only places I know of where I can consistently find something safe on the menu.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

L0cke17 posted:

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good restaurants nearby, with the catch being that I am significantly lactose and gluten intolerant, and allergic to most seafood. Pretty much all I eat out now is steak, bbq, and chinese, which are the only places I know of where I can consistently find something safe on the menu.

cook for yourself at home, it's the only way

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

Ate at Gunshow again tonight after not being able to get it out of my mind all week. I love the experience, but it is loving expensive. I spent $162 just by myself with no alcohol. What the gently caress is wrong with me?

that is honestly a lot for one person without alcohol, but also I don't really think it's you - it's loving atlanta. I think there are just a scourge of places that charge way more than they deserve because the city as a whole is starved for anything interesting, and way too in to anything 'hip'. like, spence, I'm looking at you - gunshow definitely, woodfire grill, all of ford fry's lovely rear end restaurants, miller union, 4th and swift, idk.

I sort of like these places, but I also really don't, because christ I mean, your food is ok but you're not doing the holy work of god or anything. I mean, I just contrast that sort of place with say, canoe, local three, bocado, top flr, h&f, etc - where the food is still interesting and solid and all - but your bill ends up being a lot more reasonable. for no real reason, as far as I can tell.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I find it interesting that you capitalize "I"/"I'm" and nothing else.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
god why do I post on the internet late at night I'm such a butt :(

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

venutolo posted:

What were your issues at that time?

The service was just inconsistent and a bit disjointed. We would be sitting around for 15 minutes with no food or options and then suddenly 3 or 4 options would drop by one after another. Also, the servers were very inattentive and we spent most of the meal with empty glasses. Nothing was terrible, but at that price point there's an expectation of service that wasn't necessarily there. Even with ordering almost every dish available we got out under $200, which I didn't mind paying as the food was very very good and for the most part made up for the service issues.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

god why do I post on the internet late at night I'm such a butt :(

What the hell are you doing awake at 5am?

confonnit posted:

The service was just inconsistent and a bit disjointed. We would be sitting around for 15 minutes with no food or options and then suddenly 3 or 4 options would drop by one after another. Also, the servers were very inattentive and we spent most of the meal with empty glasses. Nothing was terrible, but at that price point there's an expectation of service that wasn't necessarily there. Even with ordering almost every dish available we got out under $200, which I didn't mind paying as the food was very very good and for the most part made up for the service issues.

The sitting with no food, then a few options comes out still exists. I think that is just the nature of the beast. Last Saturday, it didn't happen at all, but last night it did.

The last two times I went, people were constantly filling up my water to the point where I almost felt bad for drinking it.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Is my memory playing tricks, or wasn't one of the key elements of Gunshow supposed to be making things far more approachable on the price front versus Chef Kevin's previous digs? I guess it could be a case of them not quite having all the gears clicked into place yet, but it seems a bit much for such a feat to basically require you to have already eaten a bowl of chicken soup at home or something and then treat it as something of just a bit extra from what I'm seeing of the above figures.

Of course, I still need to actually get up to the place proper at some point in the first place, but yeah---at this rate my darkening the doorstep of Chai Pani seems a much more attainable goal considering alongside others still.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

L0cke17 posted:

How about Indian food. There should be plenty of dishes without cream, and when ghee is in use instead of butter it's all fat and no milk solids (or few). Try Saravana Bhavan.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

Urban Pl8 on the westside has a pretty Paleo-friendly menu, which avoids gluten and most dairy. I'm sure you'd be able to find something there.

http://www.urbanpl8.com/

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I ate at STK tonight. That certainly was something.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

I ate at STK tonight. That certainly was something.

do tell

I've heard horror stories from b.duff, who worked in that kitchen for a spell

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

kuskus posted:

How about Indian food. There should be plenty of dishes without cream, and when ghee is in use instead of butter it's all fat and no milk solids (or few). Try Saravana Bhavan.

jooky posted:

Urban Pl8 on the westside has a pretty Paleo-friendly menu, which avoids gluten and most dairy. I'm sure you'd be able to find something there.

http://www.urbanpl8.com/

I'll have to try both of those, thanks! And apparently Urban Pl8 is in walking distance, even better!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

do tell

I've heard horror stories from b.duff, who worked in that kitchen for a spell

I was invited there to celebrate a friend's 25th birthday. It is definitely the kind of place a young guy in the city might want to go to for a celebratory night and blow some cash on overpriced stuff. It is not at all where you would want to go for an intimate meal with friends if you care only about food and hate clubs.

I had never been there and knew nothing of it beforehand, other than that I'd guessed it was kind of a style-over-substance sort of place where people go to be seen and engage in conspicuous consumption. To get an idea of the place, I looked at their website and came across the following:

quote:

STK artfully blends two concepts into one—the modern steakhouse
Yay!

quote:

and a chic lounge.
Okay?

quote:

A large central lounge area is furnished with creamy leather banquettes and textured crocodile tiles, and is surrounded by an elevated dining room for more formal dining. Theatrical lights illuminate each table, while a DJ creates an energetic vibe throughout the entire space.
What the gently caress?

I was told to arrive at 9pm and I got there a little early. There were two bouncer types out front and I couldn't get in because I didn't know the name on the reservation. I texted my friend and got the correct name and was let in. Inside there is a dining area at the front, then a bar and dance floor with DJ booth, then I think behind that there was a lounge area (I didn't get that far). When I got there, there was some weekly promotion thing going on where you buy some big bottle of champagne and they'll give you a bigger bottle. The place was packed and basically was an upscale club for lovers of conspicuous consumption. Everyone was taking selfies and other photos with their phones. The music was some combination of hip-hop and electronic and I'm too old and un-hip to really know anything more about it other than it was really loud.

We eventually got a table. The place was so loving loud that you couldn't hear anyone else at our table of four unless you leaned over and yelled. The menu was kind of comical. Everything but the steaks seemed really over priced. There was an appetizer of sliders on the menu for $18, and I saw one plate of them come out and they were two of the smallest things imaginable. One person I was with ordered the scallops for $16, and there only two scallops. The whole menu reeked of using expensive ingredients for the sake of using expensive ingredients (foie gras french toast?, a few items with black truffles, etc).

The people I was with didn't want to spend much, so they ordered the over-priced appetizers. While I typically don't like to spend on dinner during the week, the only things that looked reasonably priced were the medium sized steaks. They have small steaks (6oz skirt steak for $22, 6oz filet medallion for $32, and others), medium steaks (the 14oz bone-in filet for $42, which I ordered, and others) and large steaks ($59 24oz porterhouse, $72 cowboy ribeye). I got the medium sized bone-in filet plus a side and it was all fine. My steak was cooked to the proper temperature and while it wasn't the finest piece of meat, it was perfectly fine. Everyone else looks like they got gouged.

While eating the lights went down a few times, presumably in relation to whatever song the DJ was playing. There were always people milling around and the whole place was a clusterfuck. I don't know how the hell the staff manages to navigate all that carrying trays of food and drinks. There were also several times where the wait staff would bring some big dumb bottle of champagne to a table with a lit sparkler. Before LMFAO's "Shots" song came on, the staff passed out small shots to everyone, presumably so you can drink it as the chorus goes "shots, shots, shots, shots...".

If you're like me and love restaurants and hate clubs and conspicuous consumption, the place was a nightmare. I'd never choose to go there. My food was actually pretty fine, but most of the menu seemed like overpriced crap. All in all, I had a good time because I enjoyed the people I was with and in particular talking to one guy about how ridiculous the whole place was and how out of place we were.

It is a bit silly for me to criticize the place since I'm in no way the target audience of the place. It is like when my friends criticize some Miley Cyrus song or other pop culture aimed at people 20 years younger, and I tell them "it is not for you, dum dum".

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

venutolo posted:

A large central lounge area is furnished with creamy leather banquettes and textured crocodile tiles, and is surrounded by an elevated dining room for more formal dining. Theatrical lights illuminate each table, while a DJ creates an energetic vibe throughout the entire space.

Venutolo can you plan the next goon dinner meet here?! I'm craving two scallops and an Appletini® over full volume Taylor Swift dubstep remixes.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
I had a friend who bar-tended over at STK.

Her experiences and stories from that place weren't great. Like you said, it's neigh impossible to hear loving anyone in there with the loving DJ.

It's a little piece of Buckhead in Midtown. :allears:

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Did she make good money there? I was with a bunch of who work in restaurants and bars and they said they'd hate working at STK, but probably would make good money.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Do we want to do another goon food meatup? I really enjoyed the ones we've done so far, but it looks like momentum has petered out.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Definitely interested in another goon-dinner.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Who has the best fries in Atlanta? My pregnant wife has sudden craving, and that was her exact request...

I was thinking Farm Burger or Yeah Burger maybe. I don't really eat fries(and usually neither does she), so I'm not sure. Just go to Five Guys maybe?

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I would be up for one as well. So what establishment should we hit up?

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

AgentHaiTo posted:

Who has the best fries in Atlanta? My pregnant wife has sudden craving, and that was her exact request...

I was thinking Farm Burger or Yeah Burger maybe. I don't really eat fries(and usually neither does she), so I'm not sure. Just go to Five Guys maybe?

I am partial to Leon's in Decatur.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

AgentHaiTo posted:

I've never really considered which place has the best fries. I do notice when places have weak fries, but don't spend anytime considering which good fries are better than others.

I'll throw out my buddy Terry Korval's fries at Wrecking Bar as some good fries. I also dig the fries at Community Q.

mys
Jun 22, 2004
This is a hijack.
Farm Burger fries are surprisingly disappointing. Hankook Taqueria has a light breading on their fries that is amazing.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
This list looks good.

http://atlanta.eater.com/archives/2013/04/19/a-top-ten-list-of-french-fries-for-you.php

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

mys posted:

Hankook Taqueria has a light breading on their fries that is amazing.

They're non-traditional, but I also seriously love the sesame fries at Hankook, especially paired with the spicy ketchup stuff they give you

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Fry Guy fries are really good, especially with the honey sriracha mayo.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

venutolo posted:

the honey sriracha mayo.

I need to go back to Five Guys

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Safety Dance posted:

I need to go back to Five Guys

Fry Guy, not Five Guys.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Dang, now I'm embarrassed and disappointed.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I pretty thoroughly enjoy the porter's herb fries (though they're hit or miss crispiness wise, depending on how long the order sits in the window), and bocado's, which are essentially the same thing, but with slightly more hit.

outside of those though, can't remember any outstanding fries I've had.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Corndog at Pallookaville is pretty drat good. I really like their mustard as well.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Herbed fries at Bocado are pretty tasty. Seconding the Community Q recommendation. Optimist fries are NOT good, but not like you'd go there for just those, anyway.

As an aside, I know it's not Atlanta proper, but Campania up in Alpharetta is really good. I might even like it better than Antico; it's definitely a better atmosphere for a date, for sure. Would not recommend driving all the way up 400 just to try it, but if you happen to be in the area, check it out.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

venutolo posted:

Corndog at Pallookaville is pretty drat good. I really like their mustard as well.

Yeah, I went there for the first time a couple of weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. I'm going to have to go back and try the other batters. I think their drinks/shakes are pretty overpriced, though. I got one of their homemade syrup ones and although it was decent, it wasn't much better than any of the higher-end canned sodas you can get. My friend got a milkshake and it was small, but I'm also a milkshake glutton.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
So MY GIRLFRIEND is on a quest to find the best cupcake in Atlanta. We've tried Sprinkles at Lenox Mall and were pretty impressed, and we've also heard of the Cupcake Factory and CamiCakes though we haven't been able to go to either just yet. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

jooky posted:

Campania up in Alpharetta is really good. I might even like it better than Antico; it's definitely a better atmosphere for a date, for sure. Would not recommend driving all the way up 400 just to try it, but if you happen to be in the area, check it out.

I was up in the area today and made a point to check it out. The pizza was on par with Antico, but with much nicer restaurant decor, service, etc.. Overall, I actually liked it a lot more than Antico and will go back when in Alpharetta. Thanks for the recommendation!