Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Endorph posted:

I'd say 'of course they kill the only black guy,' but Eureka Seven and Turn-A actually make that not the case.

Also Aquarion. Pierre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Erm, what just happened? :psyduck:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Dr Pepper posted:

To be fair, rendering it unusable was enough I guess.

Also this was a Space-Time Oscillation Bomb. Which... uh... did a lot more then destroy a Space Elevator.

It kind of broke the universe. Several of them.

I can't help but wonder what kind of insane madman thought that a bomb that tears apart time and space would be a good idea for a superweapon.

I mean, it works, but it does its job way too well.

And...uh...yeah. That happened. You know, with the dimensional rifts and stuff going on earlier, I thought that the bomb had already gone off. Shows what I know.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

sunburnedcrow posted:

They broke the universe. Kei detonated a Time-Space Oscellation bomb, which basically tore through the multiverse because it was a bomb that BLEW UP TIME-SPACE and then Touma came down to gently caress with Aquarion, Which remember, the Turn-A and King Gainer recognize, despite the fact that Aquarion is from another world entirely. And, for a brief moment, Rand could see into the world Setsuko was in.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

sunburnedcrow posted:

In two separate universes a crazy series of events happened to cause an insane multi-universal apocalypses.

A bomb that does weird things to space-time was set off at the exact moment a bunch of crazy angel beings cast a spell to bring about the end of the world, presumably to make a new one.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

In two separate universes a crazy series of events happened to cause an insane multi-universal apocalypses.

A bomb that does weird things to space-time was set off at the exact moment a bunch of crazy angel beings cast a spell to bring about the end of the world, presumably to make a new one.

Although worth noting is that neither world was all that stable, and both were jumping in stuff before hand. this just... well...

Broke the world.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

If that is what needs to happen for Harry Ord and Quattro to talk to each other, I am totally okay with this.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

Although worth noting is that neither world was all that stable, and both were jumping in stuff before hand.

Yeah I was kinda wondering how the warps were happening if the world's only just now breaking. Oh, and RIP Denzel. I figured your mech blowing up was just one of those "Look at the cool new guy" things and you'd eject like everyone in the game does upon mech explosion, but oh well. I guess Glory Star will have to develop a new "pour a forty on the ground" squad attack.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

TwoPair posted:

Yeah I was kinda wondering how the warps were happening if the world's only just now breaking.

It's Space-TIME that got blown up. Effect doesn't necessarily follow cause when you screw with time enough. That's my guess, anyway.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
I always figured Denzel was Indian. But yeah.

Also, screw all y'all, Kentaroh Haneda's music is awesome as hell.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Zurai posted:

It's Space-TIME that got blown up. Effect doesn't necessarily follow cause when you screw with time enough. That's my guess, anyway.

Yeah, all the time-space warping that was going on beforehand was probably a side effect of the bomb that went off just now, echoing back through time because its just kicking reality's rear end that hard.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Zurai posted:

No this would make a lot of sense. If you think of time as a dimension similar to space, the closer to the point of detonation the stronger the effects of the blast are. So just like the closer to a bomb you get the hotter and stronger the blast back become, so to would the same apply to time. So the effects becoming greater in intensity to the detonation make sense. Of course the logical progression of that thinking is that moving away from it the effects should lesson, but in this case I don't think that will happen. Or the world being broken will cause other effects.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Denzel :ohdear:

I guess it was inevitable, his conversation with Setsuko and Toby was basically a death flag.

Also, this situation sort-of reminds me of Infinite Crisis, with Superboy (or Aquarion, in this case) punching reality so hard that it breaks.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Mikl posted:

Also, this situation sort-of reminds me of Infinite Crisis, with Superboy (or Aquarion, in this case) punching reality so hard that it breaks.

I really hope that this happens in the 3rd Aquarion series, with Aquarion learning Continuity Punch and erasing the second half of EVOL from our minds :(

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

vibratingsheep posted:

I really hope that this happens in the 3rd Aquarion series, with Aquarion learning Continuity Punch and erasing the second half of EVOL from our minds :(

You and I both :(:hf::smith:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hey was that the explosion from the opening cinematic?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Herr Tog posted:

Hey was that the explosion from the opening cinematic?

Maybe.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

Maybe.

So the real Dark Souls SRW Z starts here

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Mikl posted:

Denzel :ohdear:

I guess it was inevitable, his conversation with Setsuko and Toby was basically a death flag.

poo poo man, that was like he was at the Winter Olympics doing the Death Slalom and clipped every damned flag he could on the way down. Dark and mysterious did him a favour before he started talking about the nice boat he'd had his eyes on buying that he'd love to show them all once he retired.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh lord. Ripping a hole in the universe to protect a strategic asset? Disproportionate response, anyone?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Glazius posted:

Oh lord. Ripping a hole in the universe to protect a strategic asset? Disproportionate response, anyone?

You might be in the wrong series if you're looking for proper proportions. This is Super Robot Wars, not Reasonable Robot Wars.

I mean, if Z3 does even half of what we're thinking it will, it will involve commandeering the moon to fight the Anti-Spiral, then turning Jupiter into a Black Hole Bomb and setting it off in deep space. The villains need to think bigger, if anything!

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 7, 2014

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Now I can't remember how they dealt with Shin Getter Armageddon's ending, they didn't go all the way to Jupiter in Z2.2 did they?

(Sorry if the spoilers aren't needed, but I figure people might read Z2 after this and if Caphi gets around to Z2.2 it becomes relevant)

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Glazius posted:

Do note that Kei and Olson live (well, lived) in a world where the Cosmic Era Earth Federation exist. Disproportionate response is just a Thursday afternoon for them.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Out of curiosity, is Kei really so stupid that he thought he could outrun a bomb named more or less, "erase all existence"? Or is there even a remotely good explanation for why flipping that switch could seem even remotely a good idea?

Did he figure that losing the elevator for a few minutes before the colony drop made the whole battle pointless was just too big a risk? A self-destruct nuke is one thing; a black hole bomb is entirely another.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

thetruegentleman posted:

Out of curiosity, is Kei really so stupid that he thought he could outrun a bomb named more or less, "erase all existence"? Or is there even a remotely good explanation for why flipping that switch could seem even remotely a good idea?

Did he figure that losing the elevator for a few minutes before the colony drop made the whole battle pointless was just too big a risk? A self-destruct nuke is one thing; a black hole bomb is entirely another.
I think it's explained later on, but basically Kei didn't really know what he was fiddling with.

Except, things went way, WAY worse here than they did in Orguss proper.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

thetruegentleman posted:

What makes you think he even knew what a "Time-Space Oscellation Bomb" even did? It's not like its as standard weapon in the soldiers kit.

And remember, the bomb helped, but it wouldn't have done what it did if not for... several factors. In regular Orguss this was nowhere near as bad.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Onmi posted:

What makes you think he even knew what a "Time-Space Oscellation Bomb" even did? It's not like its as standard weapon in the soldiers kit.

And remember, the bomb helped, but it wouldn't have done what it did if not for... several factors. In regular Orguss this was nowhere near as bad.

See, that's the thing: even if you only break down the words, it obviously means, "something that makes reality as we know it break". It's true, of course, that Macross breaks physics like clay pigeons at an NRA festival, but to stop a few squads of daggers from taking a single space elevator? Seriously? You blow space time for THAT?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Technically, "Space-Time Oscillation" just means you're making space-time vibrate, not necessarily breaking it. And, well, who the hell could have predicted making time vibrate causes the entire multiverse to poo poo itself? I mean, it's obvious that any kind of bomb will do Bad Things in its general vicinity, and one prefixed with "Space-Time" anything is a whole new step up, but still.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Zurai posted:

Technically, "Space-Time Oscillation" just means you're making space-time vibrate, not necessarily breaking it. And, well, who the hell could have predicted making time vibrate causes the entire multiverse to poo poo itself? I mean, it's obvious that any kind of bomb will do Bad Things in its general vicinity, and one prefixed with "Space-Time" anything is a whole new step up, but still.

Also, he's a soldier, and he's desperate. It's not like Kei studied his physics and sciences or bothered to look them up. How often does "Bomb that vibrates time and space" come up? I mean for gods sake his plane has LEGS that's probably blowing his mind.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Kei's squad had orders to use the bomb to render the elevator inoperable if necessary to keep it from the Pacifics. It wasn't exactly his decision other than to judge that they were completely overwhelmed, which they were.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Caphi posted:

Kei's squad had orders to use the bomb to render the elevator inoperable if necessary to keep it from the Pacifics. It wasn't exactly his decision other than to judge that they were completely overwhelmed, which they were.

I don't want to go too far arguing the point, but I've never watched Orguss, so I just want to know this: is Kei supposed to be an extremely dedicated soldier for being willing to sacrifice himself using a WMD like that, or is there actually a really good reason to blow the elevator (that he would actually know about, as opposed to a spoiler)? Alternatively, is he just rage-crazy like Shinn? I don't really remember Macross outside of parts of the first series and Frontier, so I'd like to know (assuming Kei's plot is going to matter at all.)

Except the Minmay Defence. I DEFINITELY remember that...

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

thetruegentleman posted:

I don't want to go too far arguing the point, but I've never watched Orguss, so I just want to know this: is Kei supposed to be an extremely dedicated soldier for being willing to sacrifice himself using a WMD like that, or is there actually a really good reason to blow the elevator (that he would actually know about, as opposed to a spoiler)? Alternatively, is he just rage-crazy like Shinn? I don't really remember Macross outside of parts of the first series and Frontier, so I'd like to know (assuming Kei's plot is going to matter at all.)

That's the second time you've brought up Macross... you know aside from similar design the two shows have nothing to do with each other plot-wise, right? Orguss is its own beast.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

thetruegentleman posted:

Well this isn't Macross, it's ORGUSS. And no, Kei doesn't think he's sacrificing himself at all, he honestly believes he'll manage to get the gently caress out. He's not rage-crazy, I don't think he's particularly dedicated, and these guys did kill most of his comrades/they are at war and a Space Elevator is kind of a big asset.

Consider in this game that the EA replaces the typical Orguss enemies and remember that the EA is batshit genocidal maniacs. Would you want them to have the Space Elevator?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Onmi posted:

Well this isn't Macross, it's ORGUSS. And no, Kei doesn't think he's sacrificing himself at all, he honestly believes he'll manage to get the gently caress out. He's not rage-crazy, I don't think he's particularly dedicated, and these guys did kill most of his comrades/they are at war and a Space Elevator is kind of a big asset.

Consider in this game that the EA replaces the typical Orguss enemies and remember that the EA is batshit genocidal maniacs. Would you want them to have the Space Elevator?

Aye, in the show Kei also decided to activate the bomb so the lives of his dead comrades wouldn't have been wasted.

The problem is, the bomb is protected against random fiddling and, since he doesn't know what he's doing, it just blows up right then and there.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Son Ryo posted:

That's the second time you've brought up Macross... you know aside from similar design the two shows have nothing to do with each other plot-wise, right? Orguss is its own beast.

Thank you, I actually didn't. the whole "Super Dimension" naming scheme confuses me to no end; all the more so since it was technically Robotech I was watching, not Macross.

In my defense though, a jet with legs that shoots missiles should be a lot more distinct than it apparently is.

Onmi posted:

Well, the terrorists are almost certainly Blue Cosmos, so under ordinary circumstances I'd blow it up. But during a colony drop? I don't know: I kind of assume the people of the SEED universe don't generally think of Blue Cosmos as comically evil. That being the case, I'd figure that Blue Cosmos would want to use the bomb to stop the colony drop by sending it up the space elevator or something (assuming that is actually possible), if only because its hard to have a pure blue earth when a quarter of it is covered in dust.

That said, if Earth's people had half a brain, then no one would let Blue Cosmos OR the Earth Alliance do anything ever, since neither entity has proven even remotely functional.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 8, 2014

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

thetruegentleman posted:

Thank you, I actually didn't. the whole "Super Dimension" naming scheme confuses me to no end; all the more so since it was technically Robotech I was watching, not Macross.

In my defense though, a jet with legs that shoots missiles should be a lot more distinct than it apparently is.

Truth be told, Orguss WAS slated to be the 3rd show/season of Robotech but, for whatever reason, they decided to get Mospeada.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

thetruegentleman posted:

Southern Cross isn't actually related to Macross either for that matter, Robotech just crammed them together.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
The three "Super Dimension" series are related inasmuch as they were all done by Studio Nue and shared much of their staff between them. And also all feature transforming mecha, of course.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Wounded Land posted:

The three "Super Dimension" series are related inasmuch as they were all done by Studio Nue and shared much of their staff between them. And also all feature transforming mecha, of course.

Well, of course. I just meant that none of them take place in the same universe, have any of the same characters, or are related plot-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Some Macross characters have cameos in Orguss as well.

• Locked thread