Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Typically the guys doing loading at Walmart are the lowest-paid of the bunch, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

That's a tiny night crew, but yeah if you're running that shorthanded you need two drivers regardless of what you guys are expected to get done.

Tonight was a pretty average night. One forklift driver on the dock before break unloading our dry truck. After the doors are down we have two lifts in the freezer, one lift in sundries where they stock soda, jug juice, household goods and paper plates. Two stockers per area. One lift stocking the Gatorade and others, he has to do the drop lists and put the dry depot in the steel. One guy on the EPJ, when the dry is almost all out, the second freezer driver comes back and unloads our wet truck. After that it's mainly clean up.

I too like my job a lot too. Been there a while now and after a while (and a lot of lurking in this thread) you realize you have it pretty good. Unless you work in optical. Then you're a baller.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

The Lord Bude posted:

If you think your coworker is stealing, then you have a duty to report them, in my opinion, especially if as it seems you may cop some collateral damage from her theft. It seems from what you've said that this woman is a waste of the wages she's given, and if you can get her fired then those hours can go to more worthy people; plus you get the satisfaction of knowing that a criminal has been punished, and you'll probably gain favour in management's eyes.

Why does your store let people count their own tills? That seems very strange to me. Tills should be counted by a supervisor or manager, and never by the person using the register.

I'm a supervisor at my job. One of our registers was off by $100 the other day and management and Loss Prevention can't seem to find it, and each of them has been through the tape of that register several times. I'm just paranoid they'll pin it on me for some reason, or that I somehow did it. If I did, it was completely unintentional. I have ADD and can have some remarkable brain farts sometimes, but not THAT big... I don't think.

I cashiered from time to time on that register that day, but so did several other people.

And now my anxiety is kicking in. Great. Off to take my meds.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

0 rows returned posted:

poo poo about walmart

Take it from someone with experience: Walmart does not give a single flying gently caress about you or any of your co-workers. You are just a replacable cog in the machine. If you go to management with a problem, they'll nod and tell you what you want to hear but then do exactly nothing about it. If they don't like you, you'll get hit with bullshit "coachings" of progressive severity until you quit. They have some bullshit system in place to make you think they can't do that at store level, but they all know exactly how to get around it, and they do. Don't for one second think they don't.

Seriously. Get the gently caress out of Walmart before your mental health takes a hit. I kept trying to get promoted and kept trying and did whatever they told me to do to reach that next level, only to keep moving the goalposts whenever the position came up again. It only exacerbated my depression and made me want to hurt myself, because my thought line was "I'm not even good enough to get promoted at loving WAL-MART! How useless am I?" Thankfully I didn't try anything. However, I got hit by a bullshit "d-day" about 18 months later due to conjecture from co-workers who didn't like me from a manager I made the mistake of trusting. I then pretty much told them to gently caress off and quit before they could fire me.

I was unemployed for 4 months and times were tight, but it was still better than going to work at Walmart every single day. It was 5 1/2 years of my life I'll never get back.

Trust me on this: get out. Get out NOW and never look back. Literally just about anywhere is better than that place.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

0 rows returned posted:

I'm pretty sure I've reached the end of my rope working at Walmart. I've been a overnight stocker for about 8 months now and its getting harder and harder to bring myself to get out of bed before work because I just hate it so much. When I go to work I can't force myself to give a single poo poo about what goes on there. There are a couple reasons for this:

gently caress Walmart.

Speaking as a former overnight manager at Walmart, I can say this is horribly accurate and astute. There are perfectly sound reasons for pretty much every point on that list, but the reality of working under the conditions is a nightmare.

You have to use the hate to fuel yourself, or become cold and dead and stop caring about it at all!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Goddammit. Our parent company's "money guy", I guess the primary investor, is coming in for a visit today, along with the CFO and CEO. His last name is Schwartzman and I have to go all loving day in the same building as this guy without making a Spaceballs joke.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

D34THROW posted:

Goddammit. Our parent company's "money guy", I guess the primary investor, is coming in for a visit today, along with the CFO and CEO. His last name is Schwartzman and I have to go all loving day in the same building as this guy without making a Spaceballs joke.

Make one, maybe he's a fan of Spaceballs and that'll get you some brownie points

Edit: Huh I did already say that story. Well I recently had a problematic manager. I was sent into a walmart (oh my god its like an entirely different world there) and was to ensure that my client's products were on display. When I asked the manager about this empty section that had the price tag of the product, she said that they had some new system or something so they can't have those products out right now or something like that, it really seemed like she was making an excuse cause she didn't want to go to the back of the store and get them out. So I asked her to write that down on the sign off sheet, and she just replied with "I don't have to do that" and walked off. I called it in and I was told my people will contact Walmart about it.

Also walmart customers are the worst, for the first time ever I actually had a punk try and grab my tool bag when I turned around. He was stooping and reaching down to it when I looked back and a "Hey!" made him straighten up and suddenly start walking faster.

Leal fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 28, 2014

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Leal posted:

Also walmart customers are the worst, for the first time ever I actually had a punk try and grab my tool bag when I turned around. He was stooping and reaching down to it when I looked back and a "Hey!" made him straighten up and suddenly start walking faster.

Eh, just drive to the next closest Wal-Mart, I'm sure he would've tried to pull a no receipt return there :v:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Made it all day without a Spaceballs joke and got promoted to full time! :woop: Monday through Friday, 8 to 4:30 with a half hour lunch and reasonable smoke breaks, before the end of my probationary period. :smuggo:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Leal posted:

Make one, maybe he's a fan of Spaceballs and that'll get you some brownie points

This is late but I can guarantee that if at one point he was ever a fan of Spaceballs he stopped being one after interacting with one too many gormless strangers.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
Jesus h Christ every time I hear anything about other walmarts I become more and more convinced that the one I work at is some kind of bizarro-world retail paradise. It's still a crummy retail job but I don't experience half of what you guys seem to. Never being given telxon permissions is really strange, far as I know at my store the only ones who never get that are cashiers. Everyone else has to know how to do everything else because we WILL be required to do most of it at some point.

That said, my area's stores are in the midst of a bizarre flurry of moving around when inventory will be. First it was May 12, then may 21, then April 30, and now it's apparently late October. That'll fall right between back to school and the start of the Christmas craziness. It works out for me since it means I'll get the time off I need in May, but I can't help but think it'll throw a wrench in *something*.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

A) Quarterly inventory means I get to start precounting next week, in between trying to man the front counter, handle whatever service poo poo the service manager needs, and processing orders from our suppliers. Happy, happy, joy-loving-joy.

B) We have two installer crews for windows and doors, who each report to the estimator/salesperson for their area. One of our clients came storming in the front door today while I was with customers, pissed about how our guys "walked off the fuckin' job" because they didn't finish yesterday, had about half a day's worth of work left, and didn't go back today.

Turns out, that particular crew was told by their boss to leave job A unfinished and go start work on job B. Is the man loving INSANE? In what loving universe is that okay without clearing it with the customer first? I don't give a poo poo if you're holding up a $50,000 job to finish a $5,000 job, finish the loving $5,000 job first, because that kind of poo poo results in long-time customers not using us again AND not recommending us to their friends and neighbors.

This on top of offloading a few thousand pounds of impact-rated sliding glass doors for one job today, along with having to rack a few hundred pounds of aluminum extrusion by my lonesome. Also while trying to work the front as well and answer phones.

Dear gently caress...what a day.

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

I'm pretty much out of retail now. They overnighted my final paycheck to me since its a remote position. I liked opening up a fancy envelope from Fed Ex to find another envelope with a check for $29 which I now need to go cash.

I'm glad to finally be out though. Hopefully I won't be forced back into it come summer.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

D34THROW posted:

B) We have two installer crews for windows and doors, who each report to the estimator/salesperson for their area. One of our clients came storming in the front door today while I was with customers, pissed about how our guys "walked off the fuckin' job" because they didn't finish yesterday, had about half a day's worth of work left, and didn't go back today.

Turns out, that particular crew was told by their boss to leave job A unfinished and go start work on job B. Is the man loving INSANE? In what loving universe is that okay without clearing it with the customer first? I don't give a poo poo if you're holding up a $50,000 job to finish a $5,000 job, finish the loving $5,000 job first, because that kind of poo poo results in long-time customers not using us again AND not recommending us to their friends and neighbors.

(I take it you wear orange or red), I always hated it when installers don't or won't follow through with the promises you make to customers, which are simple things already in their contracts to work with the DIY store. For me it was one installer in particular that was always having issues, it was the same installer that was the only one that didn't work on Saturdays, and the same installer has their home office in Hawaii, but operates on EST banking hours. And were consistent in their inability to do what we asked them to do. All the local crews gave us no issues, and we could reach them almost 24/7.

The one time one of the local crews dropped the ball, the owner made drat sure to call me up first thing when he knew about it and it was probably the closest thing to verbal groveling I ever heard in my life. Like "drat, dude, I'm just a lowly CSA and just need to know if something's happening ya'know, so I can cover with the customer. No need to 'appeal to Caesar' with me." Actually that crew were one of the two that customers would ask by name to have as their installer.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

No, actually I work for a former small business that got bought out a few months back by an LLC.

But believe it or not, the installers were none too happy that they got yanked off a job in progress to cunnilingate some lady in the richy-rich section of town. It was all the salesperson's decision to do this...on a day when the CFO was doing his weekly visit. Ooh, there was a reaming on the phone and there probably will be one tomorrow. I should wear a helmet and gas mask to avoid this fallout.

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
https://www.facebook.com/notes/divine-pharaoh/a-scenario-for-a-utopian-society/939453186184

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So since November I've been hired by a company to go to various stores and annoy the employees into going onto my client's website that trains people in their products (funnily enough, I personally cannot sign up for this website as I am not an employee of any retail store... yet they want me to tell employees the benefits and whatnot and not actually tell me what these things are). And my god have they gotten aggressive. First few months I just handed off a flyer. Then they started having me hand off 2 flyers, and really the second flyer was redundant so I just kept going with the 1 flyer. Then they demanded I hand out these plastic... tabs that just have the link to the website and nothing else on it. So now I have to hand off 2 flyers, both flyers have the link to the website and then a tab that is just the link to the website.

Today I got a package. Check the manifest, it just says "<product> kit". I look inside... and there has to be over 100 pens with the link on them inside :psyduck:

This must be what it felt like to be an AOL employee in the 90's.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Customers are required to wear pants at all times whilst on the premises. This is not discrimination.

Curiosity
Sep 12, 2012

left_unattended posted:

Customers are required to wear pants at all times whilst on the premises. This is not discrimination.

If you're in the UK I resent this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

left_unattended posted:

What about ladies wearing skirts, huh? Oh, it's OK for them but not me?

:bahgawd:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

left_unattended posted:

Volmarias posted:

What about ladies wearing skirts, huh? Oh, it's OK for them but not me?

:bahgawd:

It's a kilt drat it, not a skirt, you bloody git! :scotland:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

left_unattended posted:

management wishes to advise customers that Urinating at the registers is strictly prohibited; as it represents an unacceptable slipping hazard.

I think I win.

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.

The Lord Bude posted:

management wishes to advise customers that Urinating at the registers is strictly prohibited; as it represents an unacceptable slipping hazard.

I think I win.

I had a guy poo poo his pants at my register once. No warning, just a pained look and a terrible smell.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Kind Milkman posted:

I had a guy poo poo his pants at my register once. No warning, just a pained look and a terrible smell.

my urinator created a lake of piss. I'd never seen so much piss from one person.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I had an older lady just straight up pass out and fall to the floor at the register. Luckily the next customer in line was some sort of medical professional so everything was cool.

Invis
Apr 26, 2010
I had a guy bring in his bird (a galah or something, don't ask me I'm not a bird expert) and it did a piss near the register. I handed the guy some tissues and he cleaned it up and said sorry, which was nice.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Curiosity posted:

If you're in the UK I resent this.

Why?

The Lord Bude posted:

I think I win.

You win the Annual Brain Bleach Cup.

As the weather gets colder, the hookers are starting to wear less clothing. Current tally (over 2 days): 2 pants-free, 1 in a 'skirt' that wasn't really covering the essentials.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

left_unattended posted:

Ahem, the sign CLEARLY states "No shirt, no shoes, no service." It says nothing about pants. :colbert:

I have customers who think that if something isn't "posted" somewhere then it's not a rule. They usually try this on me when I deny a return or tell them "no" to something.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Retail Slave posted:

Ahem, the sign CLEARLY states "No shirt, no shoes, no service." It says nothing about pants. :colbert:

I have customers who think that if something isn't "posted" somewhere then it's not a rule. They usually try this on me when I deny a return or tell them "no" to something.

I can recall some people drinking and smoking in the store I worked at, being asked to stop, arguing that there was no sign, being shown the sign that says it, arguing that the sign was too small, continuing smoking and drinking, then being ejected. They then stood outside and tried to convince people not to come in because of our no drinking and smoking policy in our videogame store.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

Fil5000 posted:

I can recall some people drinking and smoking in the store I worked at, being asked to stop, arguing that there was no sign, being shown the sign that says it, arguing that the sign was too small, continuing smoking and drinking, then being ejected. They then stood outside and tried to convince people not to come in because of our no drinking and smoking policy in our videogame store.

A couple of times a month I have to walk outside and tell people they can't smoke anywhere on site. I work at a loving petrol station.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

left_unattended posted:

A couple of times a month I have to walk outside and tell people they can't smoke anywhere on site. I work at a loving petrol station.

Where I live there's a gas station across the parking lot from a grocery store, and it is common for pedestrians to walk through the gas station as they walk toward the grocery store, as it's the shortest path (http://goo.gl/maps/Myrtm)

I was pumping gas one day and a few hipster ladies walk right by the gas pump while smoking. I thought about yelling a smart-rear end remark, but as an Internet Tough Guy I live in constant fear of getting beat up in real life.

But apparently pump attendants themselves used to smoke while they pumped gas in the 70s, way before anyone gave a poo poo... :shrug:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Most everyone where I work smokes in the shop (never in the showroom), but then again, there's a bigass garage door open at the back of the building and the ceilings are at least 16 feet high. gently caress, our service tech even has a cigarette hanging out of his mouth while he's rolling fiberglass screen :v:

There's one customer I'm starting to like. He's been in a few times to have screens rerolled or replaced, and he has a Southern accent and kinda looks like a shorter, stockier Mr. Rogers. :3:

Then there's the lady that came in and flipped her poo poo today because her window balances haven't come in yet. Lady, the things are loving made to order and we order them once a week. It's not like we poo poo them right after you order them, then wait a week or two to call you. At least after we checked on the status of the order containing her balances, she came back out, shook my hand, and apologized profusely for being a bitch. Her word, not mine. Doesn't make up for being one, but it's nice all the same. :unsmith:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

D34THROW posted:

Then there's the lady that came in and flipped her poo poo today because her window balances haven't come in yet. Lady, the things are loving made to order and we order them once a week. It's not like we poo poo them right after you order them, then wait a week or two to call you. At least after we checked on the status of the order containing her balances, she came back out, shook my hand, and apologized profusely for being a bitch. Her word, not mine. Doesn't make up for being one, but it's nice all the same. :unsmith:

I've found more often than not, people who apologize after going on like that probably have some other poo poo going on that's riling them up. You're just the poor saps that she forgot her manners around. Give them a minute and they'll spend the next 10 telling you about it (which is about 9 minutes 45 seconds longer than I'd care to hear). Like you said, doesn't really excuse the behavior, but the world would probably be a better place if people could at least act like this half the time.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Oh, she outright said that her and her husband are getting ready to sell their house and move cross-country and everything's going tits-up at the worst time. Basically having to wait on the balances to sell the house (since the inspector won't pass the house if even one single-hung won't stay up) is just the diarrhea icing on the poo poo sundae.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Ugh, my job just overpaid me by putting my vacation last week instead of this week. So the 24 hours of vacation plus my 20 I actually worked put me over 40 hours. I should have known using the 24 hours I earned over three years would end up being a hassle.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Overpaid you? Is that a bad thing for you? Or are you upset that you ended up working during your week of vacation?

Every year I end up working through one or two weeks of my vacations. I end up getting two pay checks, which is okay by me, because I used to be all about getting the money when the opportunity arises. Our company frowns upon doing such things, but we do it because there are situations where we can't properly cover our shifts. I've been doing this for many years, but I'm getting sick of working so much. I'm definitely starting to value my time off more and hoping this year will be my first time that I'll get to take all three weeks of vacation without working or getting sick.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Unfortunately you don't get to keep the money when you get overpaid. It's not legally mine, etc etc. So I'm going to have to go to the office and have it sorted, I'm sure. That's what's annoying.

Edit: Though thinking about it (at 4 am, mind) it doesn't seem like overpaying so much as it is a general pay error. I'm paid only for the hours I worked, they just put my vacation in the wrong week making overtime pay kick in.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

ijii posted:

Overpaid you? Is that a bad thing for you? Or are you upset that you ended up working during your week of vacation?

Every year I end up working through one or two weeks of my vacations. I end up getting two pay checks, which is okay by me, because I used to be all about getting the money when the opportunity arises. Our company frowns upon doing such things, but we do it because there are situations where we can't properly cover our shifts. I've been doing this for many years, but I'm getting sick of working so much. I'm definitely starting to value my time off more and hoping this year will be my first time that I'll get to take all three weeks of vacation without working or getting sick.

Do you mean they pay you for your vacation day and the day you worked, even if it was the same day? Wouldn't it be simpler/cheaper to pay you for the work day and let you keep the vacation day until next time?

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

left_unattended posted:

Do you mean they pay you for your vacation day and the day you worked, even if it was the same day? Wouldn't it be simpler/cheaper to pay you for the work day and let you keep the vacation day until next time?

I'm referring to when I use up a full vacation week. Since I'm a full timer, I get paid for forty hours for the week vacation. However, things happen a lot. People call out sick, big shots just so happen to come into town, people quit, people from other stores call out sick and I'm the go to scrub that's willing to get that extra money for helping out.

Keep in mind that I'm not forced to work in any of these situations, so basically I'm forfeiting my time off in exchange for extra money; there's no need to postpone or choose another week for a vacation. For the longest time I've always been about getting that extra money when available. So if I work 1 day during my vacation, I get paid for the 40 hour vacation in one paycheck, and paid 8 hours in the other paycheck. In the past I've worked six 8 hour shifts during my vacation.

As far as having to work on a scheduled personal holiday, then yes I get it back and rescheduled. I think Sankis was referring to an actual week vacation that he ended up working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Shouldn't you actually be getting paid for 48 hours instead of 40 and 8 in a case like that?

Edit: I didn't work on my vacation days. They just put the vacation time last week instead of this week like they should have.