Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I actually found the Ghostfacers fight to be more serious and legitimate than Sam and Deans. I mean, the one guy had a girl he was going to marry and start a family with but the other one comes up with a lie and convinces the friend to leave the girl and his future based off of it because he was scared the last of his friends was going to grow up on him. That's an actual reason to break off a friendship to me.

Sam and Dean...just shut up already. You're two hosed up dudes in a hosed up world and you both do hosed up things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I kind of miss the days when you could distinguish between the brothers because Sam hadn't had all the idealism kicked out of him yet and Dean hadn't lost the joie de vivre of burgers, tunes, and lots of gleeful, actually happy sexytimes. I mean, both characters were obviously somewhat broken at that point, there were still gobs of plot-appropriate angst, and they were setting up Dean's co-dependency and Sam's arrogance, but the gloom hadn't taken over yet. I definitely miss the sense that both of them had something they could reach for outside of the job and the certainty of a lonely death. That they keep having the same stupid fight over and over and over again just reinforces the sort of defeated, we will always kill monsters forever until we die tone of the thing nowadays. (I still watch though, so what does that make me.)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Supernatural: Tribes is no more

Now will be called Supernatural: Bloodlines

A female lead was also casted (Melissa Roxbourgh) who will have a Romeo & Juliet-esque relationship with one of the leads.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I wish they'd just drop the Supernatural part of the name. Hopefully they will by the time it airs.

Minster
Mar 4, 2014

Right, right.

EC posted:

Just finished S1, for the third or fourth time. I love this show. :allears:

Season 1 and 2 were frankly the best.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

atomicgeek posted:

I kind of miss the days when you could distinguish between the brothers because Sam hadn't had all the idealism kicked out of him yet and Dean hadn't lost the joie de vivre of burgers, tunes, and lots of gleeful, actually happy sexytimes. I mean, both characters were obviously somewhat broken at that point, there were still gobs of plot-appropriate angst, and they were setting up Dean's co-dependency and Sam's arrogance, but the gloom hadn't taken over yet. I definitely miss the sense that both of them had something they could reach for outside of the job and the certainty of a lonely death. That they keep having the same stupid fight over and over and over again just reinforces the sort of defeated, we will always kill monsters forever until we die tone of the thing nowadays. (I still watch though, so what does that make me.)

That's at least as recent as Season 7 though (if you count the Turducken episode).

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I actually really liked it when Dean secretly just wanted to settle down and have a super traditional family. Now all of that gets boiled down to him screaming "FAMILY, SAM!" as he does something dumb.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DirtyRobot posted:

I actually really liked it when Dean secretly just wanted to settle down and have a super traditional family. Now all of that gets boiled down to him screaming "FAMILY, SAM!" as he does something dumb.

And yet when Sam just wants a girl and a dog people bitch about him abandoning Dean in Purgatory. :v:

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

computer parts posted:

And yet when Sam just wants a girl and a dog people bitch about him abandoning Dean in Purgatory. :v:

That's more because those parts were terrible and boring tho :j:

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

Also they went nowhere. The flashback presentation indicated they were leading somewhere that might tie in to the present, but nope. Just a mean prank by Dean, along characterization for Sam that fell totally flat.

Sam wanting to settle down with a wife and a dog and a modest, humble job doesn't work by itself. Sam didn't just leave hunting because he hated being a hunter. He also had ambition. He was going to law school on scholarship at a top school. He had pride and wanted to carve out a life for himself. (The individuality, pride and ambition worked because it was also why he was Lucifer's vessel.)

Dean wanted a family because he wanted to recover what he felt he'd lost with his mom. This is why despite the bad boy image he cultivated he really wanted to go the stereotypically traditional route -- a wife, a kid he's surprisingly good with, a house in the suburbs, etc.

So when Sam settles down suddenly with a vet and a dog, and a job doing repairs or whatever the gently caress, well, it's dumb. It could have been better if there'd been some development, some sense that having almost destroyed the world Sam was humbled a bit and no longer had that pride and ambition, but that didn't really come up. I mean, yeah, he'll say things like "I ALMOST DESTROYED THE WORLD, DEAN!" in a bro-angst fight, but it's not a sign of anything except that he's sad. (Again.)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DirtyRobot posted:

Also they went nowhere. The flashback presentation indicated they were leading somewhere that might tie in to the present, but nope. Just a mean prank by Dean, along characterization for Sam that fell totally flat.

Sam wanting to settle down with a wife and a dog and a modest, humble job doesn't work by itself. Sam didn't just leave hunting because he hated being a hunter. He also had ambition. He was going to law school on scholarship at a top school. He had pride and wanted to carve out a life for himself. (The individuality, pride and ambition worked because it was also why he was Lucifer's vessel.)

Dean wanted a family because he wanted to recover what he felt he'd lost with his mom. This is why despite the bad boy image he cultivated he really wanted to go the stereotypically traditional route -- a wife, a kid he's surprisingly good with, a house in the suburbs, etc.

So when Sam settles down suddenly with a vet and a dog, and a job doing repairs or whatever the gently caress, well, it's dumb. It could have been better if there'd been some development, some sense that having almost destroyed the world Sam was humbled a bit and no longer had that pride and ambition, but that didn't really come up. I mean, yeah, he'll say things like "I ALMOST DESTROYED THE WORLD, DEAN!" in a bro-angst fight, but it's not a sign of anything except that he's sad. (Again.)

It was only for a few months though, right? I can see a guy who has been through poo poo just saying "nope" and tuning out the world. Don't think about anything but right here, right now. It wouldn't last more than a year or two, but doing it for a little while really isn't that odd.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
I think one of the most interesting aspect that hasn't been mentioned about the Winchesters is how they just don't give a gently caress anymore and will just kill whoever. I mean it's easy to forget when they enter a room with 10 demons and leave them all dead that they also stabbed and killed 10 powerless possessed men and women.

In the first few seasons they did their best never to take a human life under any condition except certain death, and in the last episode Dean just Saving Private Ryan-stabbed a guy he had under control like it was no big deal :stare:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That bothered me too. In the episode with Kevins mom, I was sure that she was going to demand that he kill the demon but try to keep the human alive because there has been enough death, but nope.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

atomicgeek posted:

That they keep having the same stupid fight over and over and over again just reinforces the sort of defeated, we will always kill monsters forever until we die tone of the thing nowadays. (I still watch though, so what does that make me.)

I think that's the thing, though. They used to be happier and full of life because hey while life sucked they were doing stuff that mattered and killing monsters and all that. One day it would end and they'd go to heaven and relax or whatever.

Now they've both died multiple times, no rest just torture and then being sent back on earth to keep on killing ever after. The fact that there's no end to a hunter's life but death at the end of a monster is even worse when you will come back and do it all over again anyway.

I'm fairly sure Sisyphus was an angsty sourpuss too.

GreenNight posted:

That bothered me too. In the episode with Kevins mom, I was sure that she was going to demand that he kill the demon but try to keep the human alive because there has been enough death, but nope.

Yeah I've started a rewatch with someone during the break, so watching the last episode with Kevin's mom and that brutal murder was a huge change from Season 1 to 3.

Let's not kid ourselves, that was both brutal and a murder too. He could have easily spared his life but he never even considered it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The thing that bugs me about them killing demon hosts with no compunction is this: is it because Sam and Dean have become cold? Or is it because the writers forgot that consequence in favor of one-shotting demons to move the plot along?

I'd like to think higher of the writers of this show, but...

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Astroman posted:

The thing that bugs me about them killing demon hosts with no compunction is this: is it because Sam and Dean have become cold? Or is it because the writers forgot that consequence in favor of one-shotting demons to move the plot along?

I'd like to think higher of the writers of this show, but...

I think a big part of it has to do with the fact that the monsters look 100% human aside from their eyes that sometimes go black. I imagine that it's the same thing when it comes to zombies, you get so used killing things that look like men that taking that extra step and killing someone who's still alive is going to not seem that big of a deal soon enough. That's actually something TWD is trying to deal with (hamfistedly) with like Karl and the rest of the children growing up in that world.

Again between this argument and 'well there is no end to their life of hunting, not even death or even Heaven for others at this point, that's why they are so angsty at the moment' I probably am giving way too much credit to the writers.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

When it comes to demon possessed people, didn't they say once that by the time they get to them the person is usually long dead and the only thing animating the body is the demon at that point because they get ridden so hard? Like the first Meg, the host was already dead by the time they exercised the demon. And if they do save the person they are usually so hosed up and traumatized by it all that they are low functioning with little help because you can't exactly go to therapy for demon possession? I seem to recall them running back into someone they had saved and he had turned into a whack job.

Not that it excuses them ganking people willy nilly, just trying to think of some sort of reasoning in their hosed up hunter heads.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

KilGrey posted:

When it comes to demon possessed people, didn't they say once that by the time they get to them the person is usually long dead and the only thing animating the body is the demon at that point because they get ridden so hard? Like the first Meg, the host was already dead by the time they exercised the demon. And if they do save the person they are usually so hosed up and traumatized by it all that they are low functioning with little help because you can't exactly go to therapy for demon possession? I seem to recall them running back into someone they had saved and he had turned into a whack job.

Not that it excuses them ganking people willy nilly, just trying to think of some sort of reasoning in their hosed up hunter heads.

Not really. If anything the show has demonstrated over and over again. That was the whole point of what made Meg different the second time around. The first time, Dean and Sam are responsible for the death of the host because they threw her down through a window on the 7 floor. The demon inside of her kept the body alive and the host was still inside, but the second the demon left it all came unstuck and she died because of it.

When she comes back, she says that since she knew Sam wouldn't like it if she possessed someone, she took over someone in a coma and that was one of her big thing about how she was different from other demons who just usually take over civilians and not comatose or dead brain patients.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Twee as gently caress posted:

When she comes back, she says that since she knew Sam wouldn't like it if she possessed someone, she took over someone in a coma and that was one of her big thing about how she was different from other demons who just usually take over civilians and not comatose or dead brain patients.
That bit was Ruby though, not Meg.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

CHiRAL posted:

That bit was Ruby though, not Meg.

Oh yeah you're right I was thinking about Ruby. But didn't Meg have a similar story for her new host? I was sure she had come back into someone who was in a coma or dead brain as well.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Nope, Ruby's the only demon who's ever shown any kind of consideration for her meat suit and that was mainly to worm her way into Sam's good graces. Meg never cared.

Edit: in fact I'm pretty sure the second (third counting Sam?) Meg got even more roughed up than the first one, since one of the Campbell cousins tortured her and she goaded him on the whole time. And got set on fire apparently.

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 10, 2014

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

atomicgeek posted:

Nope, Ruby's the only demon who's ever shown any kind of consideration for her meat suit and that was mainly to worm her way into Sam's good graces. Meg never cared.

Edit: in fact I'm pretty sure the second (third counting Sam?) Meg got even more roughed up than the first one, since one of the Campbell cousins tortured her and she goaded him on the whole time. And got set on fire apparently.

Oh you're right. I've only rewatched the first three seasons so the stuff from like season 6 or whatever is a bit blurry (it wasn't a really good season, either)

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Well, Dean also has the Mark of Cain on him right now. That could be what makes murdering a little easier.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

I really want to defend the show because when it's firing, it's firing.

But the host killing is hard to justify as anything other than writers going, "oh yeah, oops, we forgot about that." It's a side effect of the Winchesters fighting progressively more powerful big bads. In the first few seasons a single demon was totally out of their league. Now it's just like "hey pass the knife, gotta few demons to murder."

There's just nothing in the show, I think, to actually support, "Oh the brothers are just so jaded now, the host killing is part of their characterization."

All that said, I'm fine with the explanation KilGrey mentioned, about the demons riding thier hosts so hard killing them is actually helping them. It's not great, but it's a way for the writers to signal, yeah maybe preserving the hosts used to be a thing, but the show has changed a bunch and now we're going with the idea that the hosts are hosed anyways, so let's move on, please. It's a little sloppy, but whatever.

Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012

DirtyRobot posted:

All that said, I'm fine with the explanation KilGrey mentioned, about the demons riding thier hosts so hard killing them is actually helping them. It's not great, but it's a way for the writers to signal, yeah maybe preserving the hosts used to be a thing, but the show has changed a bunch and now we're going with the idea that the hosts are hosed anyways, so let's move on, please. It's a little sloppy, but whatever.

I thought they mentioned that as the reason in-show? 9x02 made a point of showing that the first vessels belonging to Abaddon's lackeys were long-dead by the time they were evicted.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

Coulrophobia posted:

I thought they mentioned that as the reason in-show? 9x02 made a point of showing that the first vessels belonging to Abaddon's lackeys were long-dead by the time they were evicted.

That's what I mean. It is explicitly the explanation given.

So not the explanation KilGrey made up, but the one KilGrey mentioned, as having been given in show.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

They used to exorcise the demons. That takes time, and isn't an option when a dozen demons are attacking you. It also just evicts the demon, who is then free to go possess someone new almost immediately. The host is messed up, maybe dead or crazy, and the demon is soon victimizing another host. The knife kills the host but also completely destroys the demon. One less demon in the world forever. By this time they've learned that you can't save everybody, so possibly killing one victimized human to permanently eliminate one demon may seem like a reasonable trade. Regrettable, but you can't save everybody.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Angela Christine posted:

They used to exorcise the demons. That takes time, and isn't an option when a dozen demons are attacking you. It also just evicts the demon, who is then free to go possess someone new almost immediately. The host is messed up, maybe dead or crazy, and the demon is soon victimizing another host. The knife kills the host but also completely destroys the demon. One less demon in the world forever. By this time they've learned that you can't save everybody, so possibly killing one victimized human to permanently eliminate one demon may seem like a reasonable trade. Regrettable, but you can't save everybody.

There was also an episode kinda recently where the host and the demon were essentially working together to kill people because they were both psychopaths.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

computer parts posted:

There was also an episode kinda recently where the host and the demon were essentially working together to kill people because they were both psychopaths.

Yeah, the guy was possessed, they got rid of the demon, but the guy was permanently messed up and wanted the demon back.

I thought it was a really thought-provoking episode.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, the guy was possessed, they got rid of the demon, but the guy was permanently messed up and wanted the demon back.

I thought it was a really thought-provoking episode.

I actually don't remember that one at all. when was it?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Was Taters posted:

I actually don't remember that one at all. when was it?

Season 7 Episode 15, "Repo Man".

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Writer Cath posted:

Well, Dean also has the Mark of Cain on him right now. That could be what makes murdering a little easier.

This has become so backburner the last few episodes I literally forgot about it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Teek posted:

I wish they'd just drop the Supernatural part of the name. Hopefully they will by the time it airs.

But if they just call it bloodlines I'd keep switching to it expecting something based on the game and always be sad

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I hope the next season involves the antichrist (Jesse Turner) coming back from australia as a 13-year-old euphoric atheist. I feel like that would fit all of the supernatural wackiness we've come to know. But I kinda just want to see that plot resolved. It was a little disappointing to see him just disappear off to nowhere in season 5.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 11, 2014

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Who remembers when demons could rip off the doors of airplanes in-flight?

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

First Bass posted:

Who remembers when demons could rip off the doors of airplanes in-flight?

'I've heard stories of demonic possession but it'd super rare and we don't know anyone who has ever encountered a demon'. oh season 1

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Man if you go back to Season 1 and 2, Dean just adores his obnoxious grumpy little brother so much. It's sad that the dynamic changed, but it would have had to, really, for the show to be around still.

Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012

DirtyRobot posted:

That's what I mean. It is explicitly the explanation given.

:downs: Well I can't read. Sorry about that.

Re: that serial killer episode, that was 7.15 Repo Man, though the dude was a little messed up before that and only acted on his murdery urges once he got possessed...not quite the same I don't think.

Coulrophobia fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 12, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There's no episode tonight. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
While we are talking about how the Winchester Bros tend to run and gun (or knife) all the demons, let's not forget the weird anti demon bombs they had that completely destroyed the demon AND the host body.

Those were kinda neat though.

• Locked thread