Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm impressed about the picture quality. Couldn't find any info on the photographer and why he was there...

I'm also quite impressed of the physics involved, I would've wagered that the plane would sliced right through the lines of the 'shute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

bolind posted:

I'm impressed about the picture quality. Couldn't find any info on the photographer and why he was there...

I'm also quite impressed of the physics involved, I would've wagered that the plane would sliced right through the lines of the 'shute.

Shroud lines are pretty strong, and the front of a Cessna's wing is pretty round.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Most skydive companies take picture and video to sell to the jumpers.

The wing of a Cessna like that is quite round and blunt, they also move very slowly during takeoff and landing (in the realm of 40-60mph). It's a testament to the strength of parachute lines as well.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Whoever is writing the articles about this is apparently completely disconnected from reality given that they have high resolution photo's which they are actually attaching the words to.

quote:

A plane approached as Frost prepared to land, about 75 feet above the ground.

That dude is loving HUGE!

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Snowdens Secret posted:

If it's like flight pay, I guess so. But your wife gets your life insurance, assumes your written letters to her are a cruel forgery, takes the kids and moves elsewhere without a trace. Kind of a mixed bag.

I didn't see anybody else catch the reference, but having just read the book thanks for this.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!
Did anyone else catch that the pilot was 87 years old?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Powercube posted:

Did anyone else catch that the pilot was 87 years old?

And a WWII vet. The skydiver is like 50 years old, too, so neither were really a spring chicken.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

jammyozzy posted:

I didn't see anybody else catch the reference, but having just read the book thanks for this.

I too enjoyed this reference. And username post combo, gently caress.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Job Truniht posted:

A plane just doesn't slam into the water ten seconds later from flying at 30000 feet. Even in that infamous Air Alaska horizontal stabilizer jam incident, the pilots managed to recover the plane at least once before it took a dip.

That's why a bomb and/or structural failure are highly likely.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
At least locally the plans carrying jumpers announces on CTAF at 5 minutes, one minute and when jumpers are away. You have to be completely oblivious to miss it.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

A Melted Tarp posted:

At least locally the plans carrying jumpers announces on CTAF at 5 minutes, one minute and when jumpers are away. You have to be completely oblivious to miss it.

That all assumes one is actually monitoring the CTAF frequency. There's always some rear end in a top hat who doesn't.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

MrChips posted:

That all assumes one is actually monitoring the CTAF frequency. There's always some rear end in a top hat who doesn't.

Well we know which assholes it was this time!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BBC posted:

It has also been confirmed that two passengers were travelling on stolen passports.

The passengers - travelling with Italian and Austrian passports that had been stolen in Thailand - purchased their plane tickets at the same time, and were both booked on the same onward flight from Beijing to Europe on Saturday.

Both had purchased their tickets from China Southern Airlines, which shared the flight with Malaysia Airlines, and they had consecutive ticket numbers.

Interesting.....

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26506961

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I really do kinda think it's terrorism.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

As the quoted section states, they both were locally stolen and both had tickets onward to europe, the stolen passports were quite obviously just illegal migration, nothing more.

Apparently, when Air India 812 went down, there were 10 stolen passports in use, but that wasn't terrorism either, just pilot error.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

cstang posted:

Seems like part of the mystery is over. A Vietnamese plane spotted what they believe to be a part of a door and a part of the tail. http://online.wsj.com/news/articles..._LEFTTopStories How strong is the signal given off from the black boxes? Would the search teams have to be directly over their final resting place to pick up on the signal?

The flight recorders I've seen have ultrasound beacons for location underwater - and they're only so loud, which was part of the problem with the Air France aircraft - the water was too deep to hear them. They're a small metal cylinder in brackets at one end of the recorder, and it is possible for them to be damaged enough to separate from the main body of the recorder.

The recorders themselves don't have any other location mechanism, but the plane should be fitted with an emergency location transmitter of some kind. The ones I know of are satellite-based and should work everywhere. However, they can fail or not be set off for various reasons, and could have been damaged during any incident.

EDIT: Also, in case you didn't know - despite the common name, they're generally bright fluorescent orange. The name refers to function rather than form!

Brovine fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 10, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Brovine posted:

The recorders themselves don't have any other location mechanism, but the plane should be fitted with an emergency location transmitter of some kind. The ones I know of are satellite-based and should work everywhere. However, they can fail or not be set off for various reasons, and could have been damaged during any incident.

The emergency locator won't work if it's underwater, however. I'm not familiar with the ones used on aircrafts, but I assume they'd float, assuming they broke free of the fuselage.

The ones used on ships are designed to float free of the ship when it sinks (There's a pressure-activated release) but even then they don't always float away for a number of reasons... And they're usually strapped to a railing outside the bridge, not inside the hull.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I guess there might be a few other AgentJayZ fans on here but dude is currently disassembling a Russian turbofan going in pretty much blind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlQiovIoSUQ&list=UUh57rwk3ySElDpzgCDLh9KA

Some of the tool fab and problem solving is :stare: and makes me feel mechanically inept. If anyone can figure out the "secret tool" I'd be interested.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

The emergency locator won't work if it's underwater, however. I'm not familiar with the ones used on aircrafts, but I assume they'd float, assuming they broke free of the fuselage.

The ones used on ships are designed to float free of the ship when it sinks (There's a pressure-activated release) but even then they don't always float away for a number of reasons... And they're usually strapped to a railing outside the bridge, not inside the hull.

Aircraft ELT units are (hopefully) automatically activated by a G-sensing switch, and they will also float if they happen to find their way out of the fuselage. They also have a manual switch, so if you go down somewhat safely in the middle of nowhere, you can just grab the box and turn it on.

If you have a Cobham ELT96/ELT97 from the early production runs, you can also count on them spontaneously activating themselves for no real good reason. The SARSAT guys and I have spent a lot of quality time on the phone together.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Are cockpit voice recorders/data recorders constantly recording or are they cleared by maintenance after the aircraft is turned around?

I'm currently learning on a King Air (TC-12), and I know one of the landing gear squat switches (weight on wheels switch) has the function of "clearing cockpit data recorder." Does that mean it auto clears with weight on wheels, or is the function to clear it available with weight on wheels?

Because that brings up another question, is someone clearing it during every maintenace turn, or is the thing clearing on every touch and go we do? And also, what kind of memory do those things have? I can't imagine it has too much, or that its digital even, since the airframes we are flying on are late 70's production. Has the tech in these recorders changed much?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Bob A Feet posted:

Are cockpit voice recorders/data recorders constantly recording or are they cleared by maintenance after the aircraft is turned around?

I'm currently learning on a King Air (TC-12), and I know one of the landing gear squat switches (weight on wheels switch) has the function of "clearing cockpit data recorder." Does that mean it auto clears with weight on wheels, or is the function to clear it available with weight on wheels?

Because that brings up another question, is someone clearing it during every maintenace turn, or is the thing clearing on every touch and go we do? And also, what kind of memory do those things have? I can't imagine it has too much, or that its digital even, since the airframes we are flying on are late 70's production. Has the tech in these recorders changed much?

I think it's a 30 minute loop, but don't quote me on it.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

SybilVimes posted:

As the quoted section states, they both were locally stolen and both had tickets onward to europe, the stolen passports were quite obviously just illegal migration, nothing more.

Apparently, when Air India 812 went down, there were 10 stolen passports in use, but that wasn't terrorism either, just pilot error.

I hadn't heard of Air India 812 so I wiki's it. You can imagine my confusion when I accidentally went to Air India 182.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

EightBit posted:

I think it's a 30 minute loop, but don't quote me on it.

That's what the magnetic ones were. I dunno what they are now/if it's still magnetic

E:
Wiki saves the day

quote:

A standard CVR is capable of recording 4 channels of audio data for a period of 2 hours

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 10, 2014

ickna
May 19, 2004

Previa_fun posted:

I guess there might be a few other AgentJayZ fans on here but dude is currently disassembling a Russian turbofan going in pretty much blind.

Some of the tool fab and problem solving is :stare: and makes me feel mechanically inept. If anyone can figure out the "secret tool" I'd be interested.

He did a camera sweep at the end of the video that had a spring-loaded pin in view that he hadn't explained, which was probably some kind of tool used in-line to push the spline out of the way while he was torquing.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Bob A Feet posted:

As of now, CVR's are required to record for at least two hours per the FAA, and automatically begin overwriting the oldest recording once that time elapses. Flight data recorders must record at least 25 hours, and also automatically overwrite old data as needed.

As for the recording medium, that depends on how old the recorder is. Older recorders used magnetic tape, which was relatively fragile and prone to degradation over time and mechanical issues that could keep it from recording properly. Since the 1990's, there has been a switch to solid state recorders, which are more durable and reliable than tape-based units, in addition to requiring almost no maintenance and being able to record more data than tape could.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Prop Wash posted:

We fly low levels in the vicinity of some really dumb jumpers and I'm always worried we'll hit one. Same with the cessnas in the area. Give someone a Go-pro and they'll head straight for certain death if it means getting some good footage.

Still, good thing nobody got hurt, especially seeing those pics.

Goes both ways. Had a heli flying camera for a dirt bike race encroach our airspace. It's loving scary being in free fall and looking down at a helicopter.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Uh, why are they searching the Malacca straight? Don't they know it went down in the south China Sea?

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Uh, why are they searching the Malacca straight? Don't they know it went down in the south China Sea?

The investigation has reached the "we give no fucks" stage.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Woke up for work, double checked roster, turns out I'm on nights. Going back to bed. When I get up again I'll do an effort post of sorts to clear up a lot of the confusion and questions about flight recorders.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Previa_fun posted:

ickna posted:

He did a camera sweep at the end of the video that had a spring-loaded pin in view that he hadn't explained, which was probably some kind of tool used in-line to push the spline out of the way while he was torquing.

He points out a threaded hole on the locking spline, so using a threaded bolt with a nut on it to pull and hold the inner bit out of the way should work. It looks like he went fancy with a spring and washer instead.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...sing-plane.html

Singapore Air Force C-130 spotted :shobon: those guys are wicked awesome and a lot of fun besides

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ok some info regarding flight data (FDR/DFDF) and voice recorders (CVR),
and emergency locator transmitters (ELTs) too, why not.

Most aircraft are fitted with a separate CVR and DFDR located somewhere in the rear of the aircraft. Pretty much anything relatively modern is going to have a digital flight data recorder, and the CVR is probably going to be digital too, though depending on what the airline has in its spares pool there may be some old tape units floating around.
Some aircraft, (Embraer 175/190, B787, B777*) have an integrated CVR/DFDR system that has both a forward and aft unit recording duplicate information.
In both instances they will record flight data on a 25 hour loop, and voice/datalink transmissions on a 2 hour loop. Generally you're going to have 4 voice channels (capt, f/o, observer, and area mic), and a minimum of 88 flight data parameters (on a modern system, probably more) being recorded.
Once all aircraft power is lost, you're going to lose your flight data as well, but in the case of the integrated systems, one location will have a redundant power supply and will continue to record voice for as long as its battery lasts.
If you're interested, the standards for impact survivability are 3400g for 6.5ms (approx 270kts and 450cm of crushing distance). There's also standards for deep sea pressure, fire, temperature, etc.
Speaking of sea pressure, that cylinder on the front of them is the the Underwater Acoustic Beacon. It will buzz at 37.5kHz for a minimum of 30 days at 150db once it's immersed in water, up to a depth of 20000ft. You'd find it with hydrophones. Incidentally, they're mounted to the crash survivable chassis of the unit, not the external case, so they shouldn't come detached at anything within the range of survivability of the chassis itself.

ELTs work on impact, and as noted won't work underwater. The aircraft mounted ones would presume a very hard landing but mostly intact aircraft. I think they trigger at something like 6g of lateral force. If the aircraft rips apart in the air, they may not be much use. The portable ones are again for emergency, not catastrophe. If you belly land on the ocean and jump into the rafts, you'd grab one and chuck it in the water (holding onto it's string...), the water activates the battery and transmitter and it'll float along behind you. ELTs are monitored over line of sight radio (VHF, UHF), and satellite.

* I'm not 100% sure of the 777 data recorder system, whether it uses two separate CVR and DFDR units or two integrated units. I'm pretty sure it's the latter but I'll double check once I'm at work (no access to manuals at home).
The 777 has a traditional setup of separate DFDR and CVR located at the rear of the aircraft.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 10, 2014

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

While there is a lot of speculation about cause and how something big can simply vanish, here is a previous accident which is similar in many ways: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Air_Flight_574

Disappeared with no mayday, no trace of the wreckage was found for a week and in the end, the cause was incredibly stupid and trivial.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Latest off the rumour mill is that debris has been spotted off the south-eastern coast of Vietnam.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

In which we discover that the ocean is really full of stuff

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What the gently caress is going on with that wing.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
If the plane had nosedived from cruising straight into the water, would there be any trace of it whatsoever?

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

evil_bunnY posted:

What the gently caress is going on with that wing.

Looks like a hardpoint for external tanks/systems

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Chalets the Baka posted:

If the plane had nosedived from cruising straight into the water, would there be any trace of it whatsoever?
Yes, it would be pulverized by the impact and there would be debris and an oil slick floating on the water surface. Note that the ocean is very, very big and jets move very, very fast so it's easy for the debris to be somewhere they haven't looked, especially given that it will be moved by wind and currents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Plus Jet A isn't the most slick-producing of oils, swell and waves make it hard to spot debris and, as we've established, there's already a lot of poo poo randomly floating around in that part of the world. They'll find it eventually.