Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shif
Aug 12, 2013
Quite a bit of hate towards Jack, guess I've got some tasting to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Keyser S0ze posted:

In the summer I'll freeze or ice bath a few small tumblers for whiskey or use the tiniest ice cube. I do the same thing when I sip an anejo tequila like 7 Leguas. Room and booze temps in the 80's just too hot for me.

In the summer I prefer either lighter or drier bourbons. Ice and cold just ruin flavors for me, and there is a masochistic thrill to being outside in 100 plus heat and humidity with some OGD.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Shif posted:

A lot of the hate towards Jack comes from the fact that a lot of swinging dicks like to act like they're Billy Badass drinking JD on the rocks and in reality they have 2oz of 80 proof bland booze in a rocks glass full of ice.

JD used to be way better and a higher proof FYI.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Shif posted:

Ok, you're probably not trolling but when you said you actually liked JW Red I got real suspicious because that stuff is just VILE.

I like to drink good whisk(e)y and I try not to be a snob about it so this was never meant to come off as "Ho hum look at this plebian drinking poor people whisky" or anything like that, I just didn't really think anyone could actually think JW red is good.

Jack isn't too bad in my book though. There are however a LOT of better options for the same money, a few good suggestions have already been posted.

Shif
Aug 12, 2013
Well in all reality I do consider myself a newbro whisk(e)y plebian, no harm done. JW Red is meh at best, I just don't know what else to compare it to; at first taste I honestly thought it tasted like cardboard.

On the other hand I am itching to try some George Dickel, signs are pointing to holyshitthisis10timesbetterthanJD. What happened to the venerable JD anyway that I'm so feverishly missing out on?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Shif posted:

Well in all reality I do consider myself a newbro whisk(e)y plebian, no harm done. JW Red is meh at best, I just don't know what else to compare it to; at first taste I honestly thought it tasted like cardboard.

On the other hand I am itching to try some George Dickel, signs are pointing to holyshitthisis10timesbetterthanJD. What happened to the venerable JD anyway that I'm so feverishly missing out on?

Suggestions for total noob whiskey:
Bourbon - Evan Williams
Scotch - Glenlivet 12

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
Sometimes I wonder if us peat whisky fans are chugging down celtic warriors in a very literal sense. Tasting notes like leather, bandages, thick red wine... :stare:

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
Has anyone had a chance to try Glenmorangie Ealanta? I have a bottle reserved for me, and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/opinions on it?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Shif posted:

I'm jealous. If you really like what many people consider bad or mediocre then you are in for a treat when you get to try some really good stuff!

Shif
Aug 12, 2013

Wojcigitty posted:

I'm jealous. If you really like what many people consider bad or mediocre then you are in for a treat when you get to try some really good stuff!

I know right, I'm looking forward to it! Praise the military genius who said gently caress blue laws, in before px trip.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Suggestions for total noob whiskey:
Bourbon - Evan Williams
Scotch - Glenlivet 12

I'm going to say Highland Park 12 because it's incredibly balanced and immediately let's you know what to look for next. It's a little sweet, a little smoky, a little malty. It's not that much more expensive but it's so much more balanced. It's like a Rosetta Stone for scotch because it lets you decipher a lot about scotch after a few glasses.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
I owe you guys some notes

I recently had excuse to try the Smooth Ambler 10 and was quite impressed so I was excited when Bottle rocket was pouring 2 different ones I was quite excited. The 7 year is made with a 36 percent rye mashbill which has the corn sweetness taking quite a backseat to the rye spice, and a pleasant, mature mouthfeel. Bought a bottle immediately for that price and sipping it now. The spice stays with you resulting in a more aggressive finish than many bourbons.

The 2 year old "yearling" is a heavily wheated mashbill. It' say it's on par with Makers, maybe a little better, but more interesting as a preview of the 10 year and you can see just what kinds of impact aging has as opposed to other factors then a great drink by itself.

aaaand

Just going to Quote myself talking about the blue corn that this is based on.

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Sweet Sassy Molassey! -- and I mean that both as an interjection and as decriptive language. The finish lingers forever and the density of sweetness as a follow on to the spice/burn of the palate is really molasses-like... and I can't come up with something to append to that that sounds less cheesy than "but in a good way." So I'll just go with that.

This is the same mashbill but they smoke the hell out of it and you can taste that. The Molasses expands into a BBQ sauce with the smoke, and it really is kind of like there's a Barbecue going on in your mouth. Definitely drink this neat or with only 1 ice cube. Water kills the smoke on it very fast rendering it basically indistinguishable from the basic blue corn and losing the kick. The sales rep tells me that from 2 years or so ago, it was even more aggressive. Pity I missed that.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Speaking of cheap whiskey I really like Clontarf 1014.

$16 for 750ml, $30 for 1.75lt

I haven't tried any of their upper tier stuff but 1014 is nice for cheap hooch.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

aaaand

Just going to Quote myself talking about the blue corn that this is based on.

This is the same mashbill but they smoke the hell out of it and you can taste that. The Molasses expands into a BBQ sauce with the smoke, and it really is kind of like there's a Barbecue going on in your mouth. Definitely drink this neat or with only 1 ice cube. Water kills the smoke on it very fast rendering it basically indistinguishable from the basic blue corn and losing the kick. The sales rep tells me that from 2 years or so ago, it was even more aggressive. Pity I missed that.

What was the price on this? It sounds awesome.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Shif posted:

I know right, I'm looking forward to it! Praise the military genius who said gently caress blue laws, in before px trip.

If you can track down one of the more reasonably-priced rye whiskeys you should check that out too. Look for Rittenhouse 100 proof or Sazerac 6 year or Redemption.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Devoz posted:

Has anyone had a chance to try Glenmorangie Ealanta? I have a bottle reserved for me, and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/opinions on it?

Here's what I wrote about it previously:

quote:

Glenmorangie Ealanta - A special edition 19yo Glenmorangie aged in first-use oak barrels. It is deliciously sweet and the finish seems to go on forever. Jim Murray voted it World Whisky of the year 2014, so it has a significant mark-up if you can get hold of it. I'd say it's not worth the £150 you can get it for now, but at the £75 price point it came out at it would've been excellent value.

After further tastings, I think it tastes much more like a Bourbon than a Whiskey.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

StorrowS posted:

Here's what I wrote about it previously:

After further tastings, I think it tastes much more like a Bourbon than a Whiskey.
It would be impossible for me to mistake a bourbon for a malt whisky, they are very distinct. A scotch grain whisky like Compass Box Hedonism comes much closer, but it's still distinctive in its own right. It has bourbony notes for sure, but it's so much mellower. The previous descriptor of vanilla cream is bang on...bourbons are more bready, spicy.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

door Door door posted:

What was the price on this? It sounds awesome.

Balcones Brimstone is ~55 most places I've seen in NYC.

Shif
Aug 12, 2013

Kenning posted:

If you can track down one of the more reasonably-priced rye whiskeys you should check that out too. Look for Rittenhouse 100 proof or Sazerac 6 year or Redemption.

What is the difference between the rye and sour mash?

Just bought some George Dickel 12.... Finally a JD replacement.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Shif posted:

What is the difference between the rye and sour mash?

Just bought some George Dickel 12.... Finally a JD replacement.

American Rye means 51% of the mashbill is rye based. Straight Rye means 100%.

Sour mashing is reusing byproduct from the mashing process to initiate fermentation.

Shif
Aug 12, 2013

kidsafe posted:

Sour mashing is reusing byproduct from the mashing process to initiate fermentation.

Forgive me, but "mashbill"?

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Shif posted:

Forgive me, but "mashbill"?

Mashbill refers to the breakdown of the grains in the recipe used to create the mash, the base matter that gets fermented and eventually distilled. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mash_ingredients )

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

kidsafe posted:

Straight rye means aged 2 or more years, whatever 51% or more rye mashbill used.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Balcones Brimstone is ~55 most places I've seen in NYC.

Doesn't sound too terrible, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

A more general question. I have a few bottles of whisky that are probably 4/5 full each. I might have to put them in storage for four months. Will that amount if time noticeably degrade the flavor? Should I just try to drink as much as possible now?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Radio Nowhere posted:

Straight rye means aged 2 or more years, whatever 51% or more rye mashbill used.

Ah right, it's an odd coincidence that most 100% rye whiskeys are branded as 100% straight rye.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

door Door door posted:

Doesn't sound too terrible, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

A more general question. I have a few bottles of whisky that are probably 4/5 full each. I might have to put them in storage for four months. Will that amount if time noticeably degrade the flavor? Should I just try to drink as much as possible now?

No. You'll be fine.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Ok, you're probably not trolling but when you said you actually liked JW Red I got real suspicious because that stuff is just VILE.

No it isn't. Stop saying this like its gospel or something. You don't like Johnnie Red, fine, that doesn't make it a bad or undrinkable whisky.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Radio Nowhere posted:

kidsafe posted:

Ah right, it's an odd coincidence that most 100% rye whiskeys are branded as 100% straight rye.

Yes, "Straight" in "Straight Bourbon Whiskey" or "Straight Tenessee Whiskey" means aged minimum 2 years, "Rye" means at least 51% rye.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PatMarshall posted:

No it isn't. Stop saying this like its gospel or something. You don't like Johnnie Red, fine, that doesn't make it a bad or undrinkable whisky.

Nope, it's inherent objectively awful. This is not out of snobbery but out of personal experience. I like a lot of cheap blends in the JW red category but JW red really is the worst.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I've never had JW Red, but I though the consensus was that it isn't a great sipping whisky but is a wonderful mixer?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I've never had JW Red, but I though the consensus was that it isn't a great sipping whisky but is a wonderful mixer?

Yes. JWRed for my friends who wanna get wasted, Glenmorangie or Highland Park or equivalent for the friends that appreciate it. I am not wasting my good stuff on most of my buddies, kinda like having a few Aurturo Fuentes to pass along when they wanna smoke a cigar, while I will give my second group a DPG Blue or cuban RASS. Usually this group is overlapping with the one with good Scotch.

I don't think I am being snobby here, it's just that I have known these guys for thirty years now, and I know their habits pretty well.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I wouldn't go so far as "wonderful." It's a serviceable mixer. For a mixing Scotch I generally prefer Dewars or Famous Grouse, which still aren't good enough to drink straight but at least don't have JW Red's funky flavors.

For straight drinking, unfortunately the whisky boom is jacking up prices all around but there's still stuff like Speyburn 10 and McClelland's Islay around the $25ish price range that make decent sippers if you're on a budget.

If you're not set on Scotch, though, nothing still beats Evan Williams for a cheap-rear end tasty mixer.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Devil Wears Wings posted:

If you're not set on Scotch, though, nothing still beats Evan Williams for a cheap-rear end tasty mixer.

Get the Evan Williams Bottled in Bond 100 proof. It's EW Black on steroids.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
It goes without saying that people can drink whatever they like, even if what they like is terrible -- or a goddamn waste.

For an example of the latter, Balvenie Doublewood and Coke.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

It goes without saying that people can drink whatever they like, even if what they like is terrible -- or a goddamn waste.

For an example of the latter, Balvenie Doublewood and Coke.

I stand by that decision because BD 12 is an utterly tasteless waste and I will never by that again. So far it's the only single malt I've disliked.

Right now I'm killing my bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Tastes vary, of course, but JW Red is not ABC vodka or something, only fit for making you drunk. Try 2 ounces over ice with a splash of club soda, it's very nice. I prefer it to Dewar's, but I like both. If you can find it, try Balantine's, quite good for whisky and soda, and usually cheaper than Dewar's or Johnnie Walker.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Questions about expanding my tastes in whiskey - I've been drinking whiskey for the ~three years I've been legal to drink in the US, so my experience is highly limited and likely shallow, but I usually buy in the $20-$40 range outside of special occasions. I alternated Woodford Reserve and Gentleman Jack for a while, but a co-worker introduced me to Bulleit bourbon a few months ago and I'm seriously considering switching to that because of how smooth it is. Are there any other rye whiskies in a similar vein for $30-$50 that goons would recommend?

On the high end of that price point, I've got half a bottle of gifted Blanton's and I'll probably get the wife some Red Breast 12 sometime in the next few months if I can find it (I live in AL) since she's partial to Irish whiskey. The Blanton's is far and away the best drink I have ever tasted.

Outside that price point, the in-laws have a Glenmorangie 12 somewhere, but I don't know if I want to try it given my budget, so I'm confined to ~$50-$60 and under.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Rittenhouse or Sazerac are my go-to inexpensive, really great ryes. For the Bulleit, did you get the bourbon or the rye? If it's the bourbon, it will taste a little different from the ryes recommended above. For a good bourbon for a decent price with a good rye content, check out Wild Turkey 101 (don't mess with 81). Also, Redbreast is incredible stuff, especially the 15 if you can spring for it.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
So the recent discussions about inexpensive and tasty rye whiskey reminded me that I am out of George Dickel Rye. When I went to the store, I ended up picking of George Dickel and Bulleit Rye as well. Considering they come from the same initial source, they did taste similar. Personally, I prefer the Bulleit Rye. The finish is a little spicier, which is nice to have in a rye.

The clearance section also had a bottle of 21yr rye, from Collingwood (Canadian whiskey company). It was only 80 proof, compared to 90 for the other two. The Collingwood 21yr Rye had a lot more depth in flavor, and I certainly prefer it over the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

PatMarshall posted:

Rittenhouse or Sazerac are my go-to inexpensive, really great ryes. For the Bulleit, did you get the bourbon or the rye? If it's the bourbon, it will taste a little different from the ryes recommended above. For a good bourbon for a decent price with a good rye content, check out Wild Turkey 101 (don't mess with 81). Also, Redbreast is incredible stuff, especially the 15 if you can spring for it.

You know, now that I check the label again, it was indeed the bourbon. Still going to keep an eye out when I make a store run for a good rye in the next few weeks. Thanks for the recommendations! I'll post a trip report on whatever I wind up getting.