Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
I take it AIO doesn't do company discounts like ATT does? I had a 15% discount when I was an ATT customer, and my wife works for the post office which gets a 25% discount.

Activated my AIO sim a few days ago and it's great so far. Data is plenty fast enough and coverage is the same as ATT was. Hoping nothing changes when they change to Cricket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Watommi posted:

I take it AIO doesn't do company discounts like ATT does? I had a 15% discount when I was an ATT customer, and my wife works for the post office which gets a 25% discount.

Activated my AIO sim a few days ago and it's great so far. Data is plenty fast enough and coverage is the same as ATT was. Hoping nothing changes when they change to Cricket.

The plans, prices, and service won't, only the name.

Cricket is CDMA (for now) and AIO is GSM, there shouldn't be any major congestion.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
So if I wanted to look for a tethering app that isn't reported to the carrier like the built-in stock one, where would one look?

Edit: probably better asked in the app thread, I'll head there.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

dr.bateman posted:

Initial trip report for AIO:

Got my activation pack in the mail yesterday. Setup took less than 10 minutes and the port apparently went through instantly. This may be because I ported from GoPhone but either way I was pleasantly surprised with this after expecting it to take at least a few hours. I'm using an iPhone 4 so I'm only getting 3G data speed but it's plenty quick so far. MMS worked out of the box and didn't require any special configuration. I'm not even 24 hours into it but so far I'm really happy with the service.

Thanks for trip report! My wife has an iPhone 5 so I appreciate you commenting on the MMS functionality.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
My situation: 2 Sprint Galaxy S3's, me and my wife. I'm out of contract, she's got 8 months left. I'd like to switch the out of contract line to Ting. Can a Ting phone connect to a Sprint Airave? My house is a complete black hole for all cell services, so this is kind of a dealbreaker if it's not possible.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

poxin posted:

So if I wanted to look for a tethering app that isn't reported to the carrier like the built-in stock one, where would one look?

Edit: probably better asked in the app thread, I'll head there.

There's no way to stop that with 4.4+ unless you root.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
For anyone using AT&T GoPhone there are some prepaid card deals going on. Check out this Slickdeals thread

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Has anyone here ported from Straight Talk/Net10 to AIO using the website. If so, how? I keep getting an error, and so far am not impressed with AIO's customer service.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Athenry posted:

Has anyone here ported from Straight Talk/Net10 to AIO using the website. If so, how? I keep getting an error, and so far am not impressed with AIO's customer service.

Please keep us updated as I plan to do this next week. Do you have your ST account number correct? That's the number found on your sim or in your online account.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

SB35 posted:

Please keep us updated as I plan to do this next week. Do you have your ST account number correct? That's the number found on your sim or in your online account.

yes, tried that and the IMEI that the phone spits out after dialing *#06# same error each time. And AIO's dedicated port number just goes to voice mail...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's because ST/Net10 is a cavern of dicks who lie to you about porting information just to punish you for leaving.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

The Entire Universe posted:

It's because ST/Net10 is a cavern of dicks who lie to you about porting information just to punish you for leaving.

That's what I've gathered. It appears the easiest way is to port from ST to go phone or T-Mobile or something then into aio.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Athenry posted:

That's what I've gathered. It appears the easiest way is to port from ST to go phone or T-Mobile or something then into aio.

We talked about this before in here when people were first moving over to AIO. I posted this, I'm not sure if it's helpful, but I hope it is.

SB35 posted:

ThermoPhysical posted:

Right now, no one knows what you need to port over your Net10/Straight Talk number since TracFone is known to refuse giving up their numbers. AIO needs your account number, Net10/ST won't give it up and claims it's your actual phone number when it isn't.

Some guy on Howardforums.com posted:

Perhaps you didn't provide the right account # and pin?
The account # is the serial # listed on the Straight Talk my account section.
The pin # is the 5 digit security pin you created on the Straight Talk my account section.

Looks like this might be for CDMA phones.

Whereas the last 15 digits on your SIM card might be your account number for those on the BYOP plans.

More

Account Number is your IMEI (GSM) or ESN (CDMA) or last 15 digits of your SIM card number if you have the BYOP deal and your PIN number can be found on the StraightTalk.com > My Account > Update Personal Profile (under "Current Security PIN")

SB35 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 4, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Is it possible to port a number from Verizon post paid to Verizon pre paid? I'm willing to pay the etf on the post paid line, of course.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I've been doing the $30/100/Unlimited/Unlimited T-mobile plan for a while now, but the town I've moved to has terrible t-mobile coverage (2G at best, no data in some parts of town) so I've been meaning to switch to AT&T, the only other alternative without buying a new phone. And now, for the last two days, I haven't been able to get a data signal anywhere in town, so it's probably time to do something. Several questions:

1) Anyone know if the tmobile thing is some new policy change? I'm pretty sure the problem isn't on my end and there were some rumblings about changing the way that plan worked?

2) The Op hasn't been updated since 2012. Is my best bet just to go right with straight-talk, or has something better come along? I've already got my number on GV, so I don't give a gently caress about number transferring.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Bobulus posted:

I've been doing the $30/100/Unlimited/Unlimited T-mobile plan for a while now, but the town I've moved to has terrible t-mobile coverage (2G at best, no data in some parts of town) so I've been meaning to switch to AT&T, the only other alternative without buying a new phone. And now, for the last two days, I haven't been able to get a data signal anywhere in town, so it's probably time to do something. Several questions:

1) Anyone know if the tmobile thing is some new policy change? I'm pretty sure the problem isn't on my end and there were some rumblings about changing the way that plan worked?

2) The Op hasn't been updated since 2012. Is my best bet just to go right with straight-talk, or has something better come along? I've already got my number on GV, so I don't give a gently caress about number transferring.

If you're going to go AT&T, AIO Wireless is pretty much your best bet.

They've updated their plans since the OP listed them:

Basic Plan is now Unlimited Talk/Text/Data (first 500MB full LTE speed) for $40/mo.

Smart Plan is now Unlimited Talk/Text/Data (first 2.5GB full LTE speed) for $50/mo.

Pro Plan is now Unlimited Talk/Text/Data (first 5GB full LTE speed) for $60/mo.

Currently, you're able to get $5 off your bill if you sign up for Auto Pay, bringing everything down to $35, $45, and $55 respectively. The $5 discount will show up on your account 5 days before your bill is due.

Your speeds are lowered to around 2-4Mbps (from up to 9Mbps) when you use your given data bucket. You can always add on more full LTE speed data as you need it ($10/1GB) as a one-time charge (you can also make it reoccuring on your bill).

AIO doesn't care how you use your data (as long as you're not tethering..officially). You can use YouTube, Pandora, Pocket Casts, whatever. ST doesn't allow any of this and will go after you to throttle your speeds down (you MAY be able to get away with it, but don't count on it as TracFone is notorious for pulling poo poo randomly). You may be able to get away with light tethering on AIO though, however, if your phone uses Android 4.4.x or above, the OS itself will tell the carrier that you're tethering.

AIO Wireless has nanoSIM if you need that, just call them or go into an AIO store.

Oh, also, around April or May, AIO will be renamed to Cricket but things will stay the same as far as plans, coverage, etc considering Cricket is CDMA and AIO is GSM. They'll slowly be turning Cricket into GSM as well as time goes on.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Okay, so forgive my ignorance:

I have an unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus, which means that the best I can get on AIO is HSPA+ and not LTE? My phone is too old? My whole area is marked as LTE, so I'm presuming it also has 'normal' 4G. I mean, anything's better than the 2G I'm getting now, but still.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 7, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Does the AIO basic plan work on smartphones? A lot of the text on their website seems contradictory. For example, the Moto G says it requires a smart plan, but people in this thread make it sound like basic works just fine...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Bobulus posted:

I have an unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus, which means that the best I can get on AIO is HSPA+ and not LTE? My phone is too old? My whole area is marked as LTE, so I'm presuming it also has 'normal' 4G. I mean, anything's better than the 2G I'm getting now, but still.

I believe the Galaxy Nexus is HSPA+ only, the only LTE Nexus would be the Nexus 5. So, you'd be on HSPA+, which is faster than CDMA's 3G if that's any consolation. However, if you got an LTE phone, you could do LTE.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Does the AIO basic plan work on smartphones? A lot of the text on their website seems contradictory. For example, the Moto G says it requires a smart plan, but people in this thread make it sound like basic works just fine...

Yes, you should be able to considering AIO isn't forcing customers with smartphones off of the basic plan anymore like they used to before the plans changed.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ThermoPhysical posted:

I believe the Galaxy Nexus is HSPA+ only, the only LTE Nexus would be the Nexus 5. So, you'd be on HSPA+, which is faster than CDMA's 3G if that's any consolation. However, if you got an LTE phone, you could do LTE.

Yes, you should be able to considering AIO isn't forcing customers with smartphones off of the basic plan anymore like they used to before the plans changed.

Nice, sounds good. Now I just have to wait until AIO gets their Moto G's back in stock (I know I can just buy it directly from Motorola, but it's currently $80 cheaper from AIO's site) :(

dentata
Mar 29, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

If you're going to go AT&T, AIO Wireless is pretty much your best bet.

Your speeds are lowered to around 2-4Mbps (from up to 9Mbps) when you use your given data bucket.

:stare: Whoa, is this really accurate? Or documented somewhere on AIO's website? My GoogleFu is failing me. Everything I just saw on HowardForums and general Google results say the throttle speed is 256kbps. If it is really 2-4Mbps that is amazing and definitely want to give that a shot.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

dentata posted:

:stare: Whoa, is this really accurate? Or documented somewhere on AIO's website? My GoogleFu is failing me. Everything I just saw on HowardForums and general Google results say the throttle speed is 256kbps. If it is really 2-4Mbps that is amazing and definitely want to give that a shot.

Got that info straight from a representative at one of their stores. No idea where HowardForums is getting their information.

dentata
Mar 29, 2012
Oh. :(

Users of AIO on HowardForums are saying based on their experience they are getting Edge speeds around 100-200kbps once they hit their "soft" data cap...however this was most recently as last month so maybe things have changed? Maybe someone here with AIO can hit their soft cap and then do a speed test? :shobon:

2-4Mbps after hitting the soft cap would make AIO a seriously killer deal.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

dentata posted:

Oh. :(

Users of AIO on HowardForums are saying based on their experience they are getting Edge speeds around 100-200kbps once they hit their "soft" data cap...however this was most recently as last month so maybe things have changed? Maybe someone here with AIO can hit their soft cap and then do a speed test? :shobon:

2-4Mbps after hitting the soft cap would make AIO a seriously killer deal.

I'm at 3.25GB so far on the $60 ($55 for me)/mo plan and I rarely actually go over 2GB, but I'll see what I can do! :v:

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Bobulus posted:

I have an unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus, which means that the best I can get on AIO is HSPA+ and not LTE? My phone is too old?

Actually the galaxy nexus only gets hspa not hspa+. Yeah its too old to use LTE. The Nexus 5 uses LTE but good hspa or hspa+ is fine for everything except steaming HD video. Most of the advantage of LTE is quicker pings instead of throughput.

HSPA on the galaxy nexus TMo was significantly better than LTE on Sprint so as always YMMV.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Anyone else had money vaporize from their $30 dork plan lately? I had five bucks vanish last billing cycle (keep a little extra for minute overages). Today I just checked my balance and the thirty bucks I tossed at it the other day has somehow turned into $27.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm at 3.25GB so far on the $60 ($55 for me)/mo plan and I rarely actually go over 2GB, but I'll see what I can do! :v:

Push harder, we need to know the truth!

Content:

Switching over to AIO from StraightTalk has been a little more work than normal, but a total breeze with the great service from AIO. The port hasn't ocurred yet so I'll update when finished but....

1. Filled out the order online, was told we couldn't port the number to AIO for some reason.
2. Called suggested porting help phone number (1-800-370-9687). There is no phone tree. If no one picks up a totally unidentified answering machine offers to take your message. After 4-5 calls, someone finally picked up.
3. Told customer service agent what happened on the website and that I wanted help porting the number to AIO, she was happy to help.
4. Customer service agent then asked me over the phone basically all the information that I had just filled out online (name, address, etc) but when I didn't have my ST account number on hand she simply offered to email me a form to fill out and return to her.
5. Received email, confirmed information I'd already given her, and added relevant ST account info. SIM card serial number (15 digits) as the account number, and PIN as found ST.com > My account > Update Personal Profile.
6. Customer service agent mailed the SIM card to me 2-day air (from Georgia) and told me the port will go through when I call the number in the SIM kit to activate the card.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

MC Hawking posted:

thirty bucks I tossed at it the other day has somehow turned into $27.

Could be sales tax, I know I had to add $33 to get $30 in credit because there was around 10% sales tax. Look at your receipt if you got one.

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.

Bobulus posted:

I was in your exact situation - moved from ATT to TMobile, mostly because a friend had TMo like a year ago and said the service was the same as ATT. Evidently as TMo has refarmed certain areas they've stopped using ATT towers (if they ever did?), but either way, TMo was not usable for me outside of nearby San Diego's immediate metro area.

Also, TMo's 2g signal overwhelms their 3g, so even if your phone can use their 3g (my ATT iphone 4s couldn't, so it was moot), your phone will automatically use 2g, unless you can force it to use 3g only. Basically their network sucks in many areas.

Anyways, I switched to AIO and it is amazing. Exact same service areas as ATT, so if you've had that before you can be confident where you'll have service. I've been on it for two weeks, and have had zero network or speed complaints. Whether I'm throttled to 4 or 8 mbps I'm not sure, but I can stream youtube or download 50MB podcasts with no issues. It's plenty fast. If you have an ATT phone it will work just as it did on ATT. Basically I can't think of a reason to be on ATT over AIO unless you really need full LTE speeds.

Switching to AIO was terrifically simple and painless. I ordered a sim from them, at which time I paid for the sim and the first month's service. Two business days later I received the sim, and it took maybe a couple minutes to activate it online, including porting the number over. Incredibly simple and I didn't have to call or talk to anyone. Service started immediately. Also, their iphone app is simple and useful - you can modify your service or buy additional data if needed pretty easily. Once your service starts you make an account, either on their website or through the phone app, and set up autopay, which knocks $5/month off your bill. Setting up TMo was pretty terrible by contrast.

I don't know what the throttled speeds are, but according to their website you'll drop to 256k speeds until your month resets, or you can buy more data at 1GB for $10. You won't be auto charged or anything for accidentally going over. I think you can set your account to autobuy additional data if you want though.

carb0nex
Nov 5, 2012

SB35 posted:

Push harder, we need to know the truth!

Content:

Switching over to AIO from StraightTalk has been a little more work than normal, but a total breeze with the great service from AIO. The port hasn't ocurred yet so I'll update when finished but....

1. Filled out the order online, was told we couldn't port the number to AIO for some reason.
2. Called suggested porting help phone number (1-800-370-9687). There is no phone tree. If no one picks up a totally unidentified answering machine offers to take your message. After 4-5 calls, someone finally picked up.
3. Told customer service agent what happened on the website and that I wanted help porting the number to AIO, she was happy to help.
4. Customer service agent then asked me over the phone basically all the information that I had just filled out online (name, address, etc) but when I didn't have my ST account number on hand she simply offered to email me a form to fill out and return to her.
5. Received email, confirmed information I'd already given her, and added relevant ST account info. SIM card serial number (15 digits) as the account number, and PIN as found ST.com > My account > Update Personal Profile.
6. Customer service agent mailed the SIM card to me 2-day air (from Georgia) and told me the port will go through when I call the number in the SIM kit to activate the card.

Please keep us updated. I currently have Straighttalk and I want to switch over to AIO. My month ends in three weeks, so I'll probably be ordering my items soon and begin activating and whatnot before my months ends with Straighttalk. I just want to make sure you can keep your same number when moving over.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I'm trying to transfer my number from T-Mobile prepaid to Aio, but I can't find an account number anywhere. Any idea where to look?

Edit: Found it in the support section. :downs:

quote:

Learn how to find your account number on My T-Mobile. If you have a Pay in Advance (Prepaid) account, your mobile number is your account number.

A Pinball Wizard fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 11, 2014

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I'm trying to transfer my number from T-Mobile prepaid to Aio, but I can't find an account number anywhere. Any idea where to look?

Prepaid? I believe its just your phone number.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Two questions:
1) Can an iPhone (say, a 4s) be used as a dumbphone with T-Mobiles $30 1000 minutes or texts plan (that doesn't seem to exist anymore)? What about a Windows Phone?

2) Where do people go to get used iPhones other than eBay?

Been thinking an iPhone with a big rear end screen and usable camera would be better than the POS flip phone with 1.5" screen and 0.8 megapixel camera my folks currently have, but they have no use for internet stuff.

The $200+ I'm seeing on eBay seems like a lot for their usage, though. A $99 Windows Phone would be easier to swallow.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Uthor posted:

Two questions:
1) Can an iPhone (say, a 4s) be used as a dumbphone with T-Mobiles $30 1000 minutes or texts plan (that doesn't seem to exist anymore)? What about a Windows Phone?

2) Where do people go to get used iPhones other than eBay?

Been thinking an iPhone with a big rear end screen and usable camera would be better than the POS flip phone with 1.5" screen and 0.8 megapixel camera my folks currently have, but they have no use for internet stuff.

The $200+ I'm seeing on eBay seems like a lot for their usage, though. A $99 Windows Phone would be easier to swallow.

can't answer carrier specific question but swappa is pretty much the best place to buy used phones imo.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Thanks to those that suggested AIO. Here's my before and after data speeds for an area of good reception in town when I switched from tmobile prepaid to AIO.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Cool.... my Straight Talk plan just renewed for the month and after about like 2 years of perfectly fine service MMS's aren't downloading. What the hell?

Edit: user error. I had put the old cingular MMS proxy into the app settings itself for some reason. I guess they officially ended support for it.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 11, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Uthor posted:

Two questions:

Can't see why not - and when I look at other plans on my wife's prepaid account it shows as unlimited talk/text for $35/month:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bobulus posted:

Thanks to those that suggested AIO. Here's my before and after data speeds for an area of good reception in town when I switched from tmobile prepaid to AIO.

What the hell kind of place do you live where you get speeds that awful on Aio?

I get like 4mbps minimum, and I'm in a city that doesn't even exist to the mobile industry.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

FAUXTON posted:

What the hell kind of place do you live where you get speeds that awful on Aio?

I get like 4mbps minimum, and I'm in a city that doesn't even exist to the mobile industry.

If you look at the timestamps, the faster one is newer = Aio I assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Yeah, the first number is my old T-mobile service, which was labeled Edge (2G) and is roughly equivalent to a 56k dialup connection. The second number is my new AIO service, HSPA+, and is basically comparable to the cable land connection I can get in town. 3.6 Mbps is nothing to sneeze at in a lovely little town like this.

(My phone is too old for LTE, so HSPA+ is the best I can do. Considering I've never used more than 50 mb in a month until now, I'm not complaining)

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 12, 2014

• Locked thread