Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SickZip posted:

I'm far from bitter

I think everyone here can tell that this isn't true.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

SickZip posted:

He was the primary on 5, which is the same as NDT, so I don't get your point?

That NGT worked at a pretty normal level as a post doc so your comparing his publishing record to professors is unfounded as he then left to work at the museum he now helps run. He did not become a research professor that published tons of papers so criticizing his output seems strange.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

SickZip posted:

He was the primary on 5, which is the same as NDT, so I don't get your point?

It's ok for someone with a low publication record to host science shows and do science outreach. It won't hurt you, I promise.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

SickZip posted:

Take Obama's praise for science and yada yada at the beginning, I find it vaguely insulting that he pretends to care and value science while he's also complicit in cutting science budgets to the bone.

I'm a postdoc in academia and I don't disagree with this. But what do you want? A camera crew following jerk offs like me around, filming us while we write doomed grants and bang our heads against the wall trying to get difficult experiments to half-way-sort-of work? It's about generating public interest and raising general scientific literacy. Maybe funding can start from the ground up. People certainly used to think more highly of the space program and science in general in decades past.

And talking about the publication record of someone whose job is basically a popular science figure, whose main goal is communicating with the general public, is pretty stupid.

FWIW I watched this last night and enjoyed it, I don't really get why this argument is needed.

edit: should I attach my CV to this post? I want to be taken seriously!

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 11, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
No one gives a poo poo about some random dorks in lab coats giving a boring science lecture no matter how much more "qualified" or whatever they are than NDT.

Ya know what was cool? When he flew his made up spaceship around the planets and gave little neat blurbs about each one. Like the ones where we got a neat upwards shot from the planet's surface of the ship flying through Venus and Jupiter

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Drunkboxer posted:

I'm a postdoc in academia and I don't disagree with this. But what do you want? A camera crew following jerk offs like me around, filming us while we write doomed grants and bang our heads against the wall trying to get difficult experiments to half-way-sort-of work? It's about generating public interest and raising general scientific literacy. Maybe funding can start from the ground up. People certainly used to think more highly of the space program and science in general in decades past.

Ahaha, the quickest way to make science funding disappear and be violently opposed by the general public would be to show Joe and Jane Public the inner workings of academia.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Macaluso posted:

No one gives a poo poo about some random dorks in lab coats giving a boring science lecture no matter how much more "qualified" or whatever they are than NDT.

Ya know what was cool? When he flew his made up spaceship around the planets and gave little neat blurbs about each one. Like the ones where we got a neat upwards shot from the planet's surface of the ship flying through Venus and Jupiter

The visual of the storm on Jupiter owns bones.

I kinda wish they spent more time on the planets, and hope they come back to it. Mercury and Uranus were basically, "gently caress this guy, onto the next planet!"

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I'm glad this show has sparked a lively debate over whether it's ok to burn heretics and deliberately misrepresent things you saw because you don't want your internet rivals to ever be acknowledged.
I'm glad this thread continues the long tradition of deliberately misrepresenting things you read because you don't want your internet rivals to ever be acknowledged. :ironicat:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Drifter posted:

Ahaha, the quickest way to make science funding disappear and be violently opposed by the general public would be to show Joe and Jane Public the inner workings of academia.

Yeah that's what I'm saying, if I wasn't clear.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

The visual of the storm on Jupiter owns bones.

I kinda wish they spent more time on the planets, and hope they come back to it. Mercury and Uranus were basically, "gently caress this guy, onto the next planet!"

Lol gently caress uranus

The Maroon Ninja
Sep 19, 2005

Olmeethee, Woolyaayen, Onthecanabeedum
dumbarroomdingum

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Bill Nye is also not a scientist, he is an engineer that designed plane parts for Boeing. Science has suffered from a lack of charismatic champions that can educate the masses. There is a reason Alan Alda started a program to educate scientists and how to communicate science.

http://www.centerforcommunicatingscience.org

This is the reason we are talking about this exact show right now, here in this thread. Seth MacFarlane ran into NdT lecturing at one of these get togethers and they booked a lunch. He said "How can I help Science"? NdT told him about the potential Cosmos reboot.

Now we have science and rational thought populism in 170 countries in 45 languages. All quibbles aside, this is an amazing thing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

greatn posted:

Lol gently caress uranus

He flew by it really quickly, saying it the non-funny way. I thought you were executive producer Seth MacFarlane?!

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

MeLKoR posted:

I'm glad this thread continues the long tradition of deliberately misrepresenting things you read because you don't want your internet rivals to ever be acknowledged. :ironicat:

No u

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

SickZip posted:

I don't respect anyone as a scientist who barely has more published papers then my own lovely abbreviated scientific career. There's a gigantic gap in actual scientific credentials between NDT and the old school science popularizers like Sagan or Feynman. He's Bill Nye for near adults and fundamentally he's become the face of science in America through a combination of relentless self-promotion, media savvy, and "science" memes. Is he an actual distinguished scientist? No. Does he have insights to contribute besides microwaved Sagan leftovers? No. Is he an okay communicator? Yeah but I've know plenty of scientists who were equally willing and able to talk passionately about science.

lol, I wasn't sure if anybody sincerely held the absurd anti-NDT sentiment I was parodying with my post. Thank you for making it real.

Sorry NDT fans, it turns out that NDT doesn't have enough journal citations to be allowed to inspire you. Please cease being inspired immediately.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Look, all this quibbling about papers and what "scientist" means aside, there's one thing I think we can all agree that it could have been worse and had Kaku narrating.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I wanna see more of that spaceship. Where does NDT sleep and poop?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The big hole in the floor, duh.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Unmature posted:

I wanna see more of that spaceship. Where does NDT sleep and poop?

The miracle of the ship is that if you need to sleep you immediately appear back in your own bed and poop in your own toilet.

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

Sash! posted:

Look, all this quibbling about papers and what "scientist" means aside, there's one thing I think we can all agree that it could have been worse and had Kaku narrating.

Actually, you're wrong. Michio Kaku has a significantly higher H-index than Neil deGrasse Tyson, so therefore he would be a better host of Cosmos.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

haveblue posted:

The big hole in the floor, duh.

Which is a time portal into SickZip's past.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
You guys are actually not understanding why he's so mad. You didn't see the first draft of the show where Tyson said 'we are all made up of stars, except for SickZip, he's made up of bitch'.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Where did this "Obama was responsible for cutting science budgets" meme come from?

SickZip posted:

I don't respect anyone as a scientist who barely has more published papers then my own lovely abbreviated scientific career.
No offense but I find it incredibly hard to believe you've been the primary author on multiple journal papers.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

justsomedude posted:

Actually, you're wrong. Michio Kaku has a significantly higher H-index than Neil deGrasse Tyson, so therefore he would be a better host of Cosmos.

He'd get all down some weird futurist thing that distracts everyone from his real science while he dresses like a rock star from the future.

poo poo maybe he is from the future and that's why he knows what he knows.

Hazo posted:

Where did this "Obama was responsible for cutting science budgets" meme come from?

It's partially true. Everyone is complicit in it. President, Congress, the individual agencies, administrative sections of agencies. There's only so much pie and every slice gets angry when it's not the biggest slice, even if their silence is of questionable value in the first place and takes away from other slices that probably could be bigger.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 11, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Macaluso posted:

He flew by it really quickly, saying it the non-funny way. I thought you were executive producer Seth MacFarlane?!

Just rewatch Freakazoid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMOeV5MLOvc

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

justsomedude posted:

He's not a real scientist, he's good at talking to people, and everyone knows that no real scientists can be bothered to talk down to the norms. If a real scientist hosted Cosmos, the pilot would've been a speed course in the calculus of variations and partial differential equations so that the audience would be prepared to understand the second episode, A Mathematical Description of Spacetime Manifolds.

But unfortunately, instead of getting a real scientist, we got NDT. Yeah, he's charismatic and the loving plebes seem to enjoy listening to him, but no real scientist would bother talking to them in the first place. I bet NDT hasn't even published as many papers or been cited as many times as my PhD advisor, which is the only way to be a real scientist. gently caress you all, you meme-loving plebes!

Why are you so spiteful? Why can't you just admire that this new series is the biggest leap in over a decade to get 'plebes' interested in space and science. :(

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

Imapanda posted:

Why are you so spiteful? Why can't you just admire that this new series is the biggest leap in over a decade to get 'plebes' interested in space and science. :(

lol. Are you serious?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hazo posted:

No offense but I find it incredibly hard to believe you've been the primary author on multiple journal papers.

It's not accurate, but we are in one of the worst funding climates ever, and the sequester cuts are looming. It's a rough time to break into academic research.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 11, 2014

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Imapanda posted:

You can still save this. Just discreetly replace justsomedude's post with SickZip's.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Saw it and loved it, but I did get a distinct tone of the show preaching to the choir.

I know this thread has argued about the Bruno story already, and while I didn't have a problem with Tyson's telling of it, I did have a problem with the show's production of it. They animated all the religious officials as antagonistic (shrouded in shadow, long faces, throwing tomatoes) and crafted the music to match.

I get that the parable was meant more as a testament to how we should keep an open mind, and that if you're trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator then you need to telegraph who the "bad guy" is, but it got Christianity all sorts of tangled up in that, to the point where I'm certain that a key target audience for the show--those who are skeptical of this stuff--immediately tuned out.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Is there anything worse in the world than "You aren't a real XYZ" arguments?

I'm a writer who's written several screenplays and has had a few low level meetings about my work. I've also done some freelance work on cultural criticism (for wannabe AV Club sites).

And yet I'm always being accused that I'm not a "real writer" because I haven't been published in a literary magazine that is likely read by five people on a good month.

And this whole "Tyson isn't a real scientist, man" debate reeks of similar bullshit. Degrees and papers and annotations and all the rest certainly correlate to being an expert, but a scientist is anyone who has a loving interest in science.

And anyone who thinks that Cosmos could have been made without Tyson's clout in today's market has lost their goddamn minds. Tyson is GREAT at simplifying concepts into easily digestible words that still maintain the majority of the original meaning. He's also reasonably charismatic.

You know, things you would want in a television HOST.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

f#a# posted:

Saw it and loved it, but I did get a distinct tone of the show preaching to the choir.

I know this thread has argued about the Bruno story already, and while I didn't have a problem with Tyson's telling of it, I did have a problem with the show's production of it. They animated all the religious officials as antagonistic (shrouded in shadow, long faces, throwing tomatoes) and crafted the music to match.

I get that the parable was meant more as a testament to how we should keep an open mind, and that if you're trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator then you need to telegraph who the "bad guy" is, but it got Christianity all sorts of tangled up in that, to the point where I'm certain that a key target audience for the show--those who are skeptical of this stuff--immediately tuned out.

I'm not sure about this. For one, the vast majority of "science-haters" in this country are fundamentalist Protestants, who, if anything, would applaud the Bruno sequence for making the Catholic Church look bad (never mind the fact that the Protestants did the exact same poo poo at the time). Yes, you have your Bill Donohues and Rick Santora out there who hold to creationism and geocentrism and whatnot, but most of them don't watch TV to begin with (or at least claim not to).

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

SickZip posted:

I don't respect anyone as a scientist who barely has more published papers then my own lovely abbreviated scientific career. There's a gigantic gap in actual scientific credentials between NDT and the old school science popularizers like Sagan or Feynman. He's Bill Nye for near adults and fundamentally he's become the face of science in America through a combination of relentless self-promotion, media savvy, and "science" memes. Is he an actual distinguished scientist? No. Does he have insights to contribute besides microwaved Sagan leftovers? No. Is he an okay communicator? Yeah but I've know plenty of scientists who were equally willing and able to talk passionately about science.

You seem like a real fun dude to hang out with. I can just imagine a night out with a group of friends....and you. "gently caress our waitress, God! She looks like she's been waiting tables all of three weeks. My sister is a real waitress and could wait tables around this phony. I bet I waited more tables during one summer in high school than this bitch! *spits beer out* "I can't respect a microbrew that has such mass distribution to so many different bars. What a farce! When I was in college we had real microbrews! Look at that fake hipster, he's got real lenses in his glasses, I've known tons of real hipsters."

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You guys are actually not understanding why he's so mad. You didn't see the first draft of the show where Tyson said 'we are all made up of stars, except for SickZip, he's made up of bitch'.

I really hope this version is in the deleted scenes.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
As someone who loved the original Cosmos as a child and worships Carl Sagan, the bit at the end where NDT met him as a teenager was very touching.

But for someone who has never heard of Sagan before, it kinda makes him look like a pedophile.

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

His haunts are not confined to the valley, but extend at times to the adjacent roads...
Alright so now that NdTs validity as a scientist has been called into question, can someone please say whether or not the next day broadcasts on Nat Geo contain additional footage?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Bill Nye made an impact on my childhood and my understanding of science at that time. Discovering that he is not a scientist, according to SickZip I should not respect him anymore, correct? Should I go and advocate Young Earth Creationism now?

Serious talk, this was really fun and I am eagerly awaiting the rest of the series.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Drunkboxer posted:

It's not accurate, but we are in one of the worst funding climates ever, and the sequester cuts are looming. It's a rough time to break into academic research.
Believe me I know this. But it's absolutely ludicrous to imply that Obama, for all his faults, is the driving force pushing for less emphasis on science spending.

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the first episode was poorly made. The editing, shots away from Neil's face when he's mid sentence, graphics making it unclear as to the point he's trying to make etc.
Without changing the dialogue, with better visuals they could have made it clearer for children. Although i didn't learn anything new, it felt like i had to have a total knowledge of it all to understand what was going on.

Damo posted:

People complaining about how this show isn't telling them anything they don't know don't realize this isn't written for people who are avid readers or students of science, but for laymen who generally don't expose themselves to poo poo like this.

That's my problem with it. The visuals and editing didn't make it clear and easy to understand. It was rambling collection of stuff poorly explained.

nimh fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 12, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

PassTheRemote posted:

Bill Nye made an impact on my childhood and my understanding of science at that time. Discovering that he is not a scientist, according to SickZip I should not respect him anymore, correct? Should I go and advocate Young Earth Creationism now?

Serious talk, this was really fun and I am eagerly awaiting the rest of the series.
Yeah it was him, Magic School Bus, and Jurassic Park that made me want to pursue a career in the Paleontological Sciences. Which reminds me that its a crime that Sam Neill has never narrated a dinosaur documentary :argh:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

So yeah, the Inquisition was poo poo but the population was even more fanatic and intolerant than the Inquisition. At the end of the day the Church of the time was a largely secular institution trying to rein in a bag full of cats and preventing them from literally murdering each other in the streets. Bad for business.

I wonder who could have possibly made the population so fanatic and intolerant in the first place. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'd watch NDT do his taxes, and I intend on watching every episode of this, but I just really wish they hadn't worked in the 'your god is too small' line. Of the vast majority of the 'faithful' in the country who weren't intending on watching this to begin with, lines like that convince the ones on the fence to fall back into their comfort zone, and *not* get their kids to watch, which I'm guessing was the intent in putting it after Simpsons and Family Guy.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 12, 2014

• Locked thread