Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Chase?
This poll is closed.
Augh 46 32.39%
gently caress 96 67.61%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2014/03/11/nascar-to-allow-cooldown-units-on-pit-road/6302277/

Cooldown units are being allowed with the hookup going through the cowl vents During qualifying. Should be a pretty simple fix to reroute the plumbing to accommodate that, and solves the cooldown lap problem. GJ nascar

They can use the same boxes that the IndyCar/sportscar teams use for the carbon brakes, just with different ducting. They arent 'cheap' by normal human being standards, but cheap in racing terms.

e: Just realized that I think they already have the boxes and use them when the car goes into the garage, so this is probably a zero cost move...

Cygni fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SpitztheGreat posted:

Ratings are a fickle thing. You would think that with Jr doing so well this year that ratings would be up. The number one thing that NASCAR can do is keep working on the on the track action. If that improves then word of mouth will spread and the viewers will come back. It has next to nothing to do with DW, or the God AWFUL new ticker, when NASCAR was in it's prime nobody cared who was announcing, but it's drat essential that the racing is good. That's where NASCAR has lost so many viewers, the races are generally pretty tame. Drivers are more patient than they were 20 years ago, so miles 50-399 are just logged as teams put themselves in position for the final dash. That's smart racing, but bad entertainment. But shortening the races to 300 miles seems to easy for the premier series.

I dunno what NASCAR is supposed to do.

Yeah no when all their contracts are for "We'll give you X amount of content" them saying "well, how about less content" is a) not going to fly with every single commercial partner, and b) running against the grain of what nascar racing has been for the last 40 odd years (since they dropped short track races that went an hour).

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It's almost like fans are tired of watching race after race on the same track in different locations.

Also maybe its becaus fox broadcasting sucks donkey Dick, commercials within commercials, DW, having to watch the action after the commercial because ill be damned if it doesn't feel like 30% of the race is commercials. (Breaks away from commercial to show crash, goes back to more commercials, shows pit stops, more commercials, 5 min of green flag with the budwiser acdelco top movers, then more commercial.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The thing I don't understand is why NASCAR fans bitch endlessly and yet still watch.

Stop watching, hit them where it hurts.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

tater_salad posted:

It's almost like fans are tired of watching race after race on the same track in different locations.

Also maybe its becaus fox broadcasting sucks donkey Dick, commercials within commercials, DW, having to watch the action after the commercial because ill be damned if it doesn't feel like 30% of the race is commercials. (Breaks away from commercial to show crash, goes back to more commercials, shows pit stops, more commercials, 5 min of green flag with the budwiser acdelco top movers, then more commercial.

But at least they have the side by side so you don't miss any action*

*assuming you have an 80+ inch tv so the box is larger than a postage stamp.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

The thing I don't understand is why NASCAR fans bitch endlessly and yet still watch.

Stop watching, hit them where it hurts.

I don't watch that much, in the winter/spring/fall if my wife is shopping and I'm watching the kids it's on in the background, but once summer hits.. no NASCAR. I'm not going to dedicate 3-4 hrs of watching commercials etc. It's a love-hate.. I love NASCAR, I dislike the broadcasts of it, Pretty soon I'm just going to start watching livestreams of the iRacing pro F1 and NASCAR races

I'd rather watch the arca/modifides but they are now on FS2 which means I'd have to pay extra.. cable costs enough already.

I agree that Side-bah-side is a joke.. the racing's a postage stamp, there's an ad banner around the screen, then an ad playing on the screen. And they usually only do side-bah-side towards the end of the race.. Side-bah-side should always happen while there is a green flag.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

Cygni posted:

They can use the same boxes that the IndyCar/sportscar teams use for the carbon brakes, just with different ducting. They arent 'cheap' by normal human being standards, but cheap in racing terms.

e: Just realized that I think they already have the boxes and use them when the car goes into the garage, so this is probably a zero cost move...

Yeah, every team already has a dedicated cooldown unit for this exact purpose, the whole hullabaloo was over nascar not letting them open the hood to get to the pickups, which are usually situated right by the radiator. This is a good compromise, and it's fairly simple/inexpensive to replumb the cars accordingly. Not the most elegant solution, mind you, but it's a decent band-aid

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

tater_salad posted:

I agree that Side-bah-side is a joke.. the racing's a postage stamp, there's an ad banner around the screen, then an ad playing on the screen. And they usually only do side-bah-side towards the end of the race.. Side-bah-side should always happen while there is a green flag.
They do it during like the first 50 and last 50 laps but I agree that it should always be side by side coverage if its under green. I never understand why they do the side by side if its under caution but they do it all the time.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Hey look! A LASTCAR reference http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.co...partner=ya5nbcs

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

bigbillystyle posted:

They do it during like the first 50 and last 50 laps but I agree that it should always be side by side coverage if its under green. I never understand why they do the side by side if its under caution but they do it all the time.

You might miss another jpm moment.

But seriously, the broadcasting side is what is the problem more than anything. There is nothing NASCAR can do to fix it. All three have fallen into the same pit. If you aren't in the top 5 or Danica, whatever happens on the track isn't newsworthy or worth their time to pan the camera to you. Now, if you happen to turn left and pull out a caution, congrats, your sponsor will finally get some air time even though you can hit 3 wins a year anyway. But, they'll probably not have any video it was you that turned left because there wasn't a camera on you when the incident happened. On the other hand, listening to the races on the radio is completely different. If the top 5 are single file but 20-25 is have an argument on positioning, gently caress it, they'll talk about the race for 20th.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

There was a perfect example this weekend with Kyle. They came back from a split screen (which showed a lonely Logano the whole time) and DW was gushing about Kyle passing two cars a lap.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

quote:

"Great job NBC Sports hiring the most negative thinking writer in the Nascar press corps. That will help drive interest down for your new partnership.Who cares about negative statistics other than the likes of this guy. Is the follow up who has gotten the most flat tires?"

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Lastcar: Trolling the NASCAR scenes to an amazing new level.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

some guy posted:

Obviously we have forgotten the “start and park” format. It’s how some of the single car Cup teams got by until the rule was changed. A “vibration” gives them an excuse to “park”. Shouldn’t be considered in the stat, but it gave someone a reason for a column. Why not go out on a limb and talk about something as taboo as the sanctioning body owning tracks, and setting the schedule for tracks to be raced on. What about a tire manufacturer having a monopoly as the lone supplier. How about an article about how the Cup drivers envade the Busch series and take most of the good price money. The excuse being that the younger drivers can follow them and learn. Are you telling me they can stand on top of a hauler and see the lines they are using? Let’s have an article with some teeth, not something about a driver who is past his prime, logging few laps to earn some cash without hurting the equipment, and without creating a large tire bill.

Lol, someone takes his NASCAR seriously.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

daslog posted:

Lastcar: Trolling the NASCAR scenes to an amazing new level.

As Bill France Jr. would say, you're either getting bigger or smaller. There is no staying the same. :)

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
LASTCAR you are a god among men

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

They changed start n park? I didn't know and thank ducking god

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Personperson14 posted:

Lol, someone takes his NASCAR seriously.

I didn't see this before but I'd like to point out that particular post could be attributed to a number of people in this thread.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

That's quite a sandwich Earnhardt.

http://deadspin.com/dale-earnhardt-jr-says-he-eats-banana-and-mayo-sandwi-1543476219

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

quote:

Tags: Blake Koch, Brock Beard, Busch Series champion Jeff Green, Jeff Green, NASCAR, ricky bobby, Sprint Cup Series, talladega nights

I love that there is a tag for Busch Series champion Jeff Green, as opposed to the normal everyday life Jeff Green.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jesus Christ :barf:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Jr. is a goon exhibit #24

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550851

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
gently caress that's disgusting

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Junior owns a lot.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

quote:

We all know Ricky Bobby in Talladega Nights said that second is the first loser
That was Dale Earnhardt. :bahgawd:

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

Junior owns a lot.

:crossarms:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

OK which one of you is Junior.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

gret posted:

OK which one of you is Junior.

He only posts in TCC.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Peanut President posted:

That was Dale Earnhardt. :bahgawd:

It's just about everyone involved in racing ever.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Banana & Mayo sandwiches are one of those things you will have never tried unless you have some real coonasses or country bumpkins in your family.

Anyway everyone knows Banana & Peanut Butter > Banana & Mayo

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dudley posted:

It's just about everyone involved in racing ever.

Except Greg Biffle.

doughboy1013
Apr 4, 2011
Not going to lie, qualifying is genuinely entertaining with multiple cars on track. Looks great from the stands.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

I love how Danica keeps saying saying she needs to qualify better when she keeps wadding it up in practice and the race.

doughboy1013 posted:

Not going to lie, qualifying is genuinely entertaining with multiple cars on track. Looks great from the stands.

You're there? drat, man, I'm jealous. Looks like a good show.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

So with this new qualifying format and them tossing the top-35, is it possible we see Danica DNQ a race this year?

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
I'm looking forward to getting there tomorrow morning. Judging by practice the races should be... interesting.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Cannot Find Server posted:

So with this new qualifying format and them tossing the top-35, is it possible we see Danica DNQ a race this year?

I'm pretty sure she can if she runs out of provisionals - which should take until May.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1022/1022_01.asp

Holy loving poo poo.

Just click and enjoy.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

"I suck at drawing Silver Crown cars"

I'm absolutely sure that was Dale's first thought upon meeting a new driver. Not "I'm going to put that yankee carpet bagger in the wall"

Clearly not a reference to the 2001 Daytona. Totally not.

loving Goodyear and their inferior tires.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Why are all their sponsors in Hebrew? Does this take place in the NASCAR Israel Series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Peanut President posted:

Why are all their sponsors in Hebrew? Does this take place in the NASCAR Israel Series?

At least the tire blowouts would be more interesting, since it's an explosion on israeli soil surely they'd show another settlement demolishment on the track jumbotron

• Locked thread