Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

hcreight posted:

Yeah, those two shows are probably the closest to what you're looking for in terms of modern TV shows. The only other current TV Western I'm aware of is Longmire, which I haven't seen but other TVIVers have said nice things about.

There's also Hell on Wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The Newsroom is lazy, patriarchal in the extreme, and full of just plain stupid characterisation. All of it hung on a premise that has been clumsily, and sometimes tastelessly, mishandled.
It's Sorkin harking back to the good old days of news, when men were white men and women shut the gently caress up.

The second season is notably better than the first (not hard at all) but still, Olivia Munn and Thomas Sadoski are the only reasons to watch that programme. Neither of them were meant to be the main draw, yet they are the only two (in a pretty stellar cast) who have managed to transcend the utter fucktastrophe of reactionary smug bullshit that Sorkin has excreted.

This is an almost perfect microcosm of the Newsroom thread. All that's missing is a link to a lovely Slate article.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Just finished up Father Ted, a bit wonky at times with regards to plot (blame the era) but a excellent series if you wanted something to laugh at for 20+ min. a night

I'm probably near the bottom of people watching this for the 1st time but now Breaking Bad is up next. Not what I would've picked offhand but it's reputation has now trickled down to people who have difficulty staying up for a hour long drama.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Island Nation posted:

I'm probably near the bottom of people watching this for the 1st time but now Breaking Bad is up next. Not what I would've picked offhand but it's reputation has now trickled down to people who have difficulty staying up for a hour long drama.

Don't expect too much at first. BB begins when Walter White shaves his head...

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Finished up Luther. The British police procedures as pictured were often annoying, but overall, the series was rather good. Now I gotta find out what The Shield is all about.

Also, not sure if anime qualifies for this thread but the other weekend I blasted through all of Attack on Titan, and had a good time. Interesting characters, a well crafted world, beautiful animation, great soundtrack, epic action scenes, and no sex/pedo crap. Just great stuff. Wish they made more of it, as the ending left too many questions unanswered, and as far as I know the story continues on in the source manga.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

JohnSherman posted:

This is an almost perfect microcosm of the Newsroom thread. All that's missing is a link to a lovely Slate article.

Nah, it needs some mouthbreathing milquetoast oval office whining about how criticism and thought hurt his feelings.

Riled Shareef
Dec 19, 2013
I'm working my way through the first season of Hannibal, finally. Wanted to catch up so I could watch S2 live but alas.

I can't believe a main TV network allowed even half of this show's content into its programming. Gruesome, visceral, unnerving and really entertaining. The special effects are nuts too. Mads Mikkelsen is awesome.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Riled Shareef posted:

I'm working my way through the first season of Hannibal, finally. Wanted to catch up so I could watch S2 live but alas.

I can't believe a main TV network allowed even half of this show's content into its programming. Gruesome, visceral, unnerving and really entertaining. The special effects are nuts too. Mads Mikkelsen is awesome.

Wait till you get to the people wheel.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I averted my eyes and was tempted to cover my ears as well.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mu Zeta posted:

I averted my eyes and was tempted to cover my ears as well.

I still cannot believe that the opening of season 2 episode 2 actually aired on network TV.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Catching up on 24, I only made it mid-way through season 6 before stopping originally. Ahh, that old time anger and disgust! I kind of missed the derision I feel for practically every character.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Don't expect too much at first. BB begins when Walter White shaves his head...

A mild spoiler there (I'm only at Ep. 5) but you're right, The person who wanted to watch it was getting bored but is willing to stick with it. I had to emphasize it was the year of the writers strike in order to explain the slow start.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Breaking Bad starts off slow, and there are some periods of downtime, but the payoff is really, really rewarding.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

I've been watching Curb your Enthusiasm and I'm pleasantly surprised as I always thought it was some kind of prank show with Larry David behaving as he does, for some reason. Half the episodes are really funny and I end up pitying Larry but half are just so farcical and unbelievable that I get annoyed. Other characters sometimes behave so stupidly that it turns into just every other comedy which is a shame because when it hits the mark, it's hilarious.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bobkatt013 posted:

I still cannot believe that the opening of season 2 episode 2 actually aired on network TV.

Hey, they hid and blurred out the nipples so I don't know what's your problem here :colbert:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 18, 2014

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Breaking Bad starts off slow, and there are some periods of downtime, but the payoff is really, really rewarding.

I'm so glad I watched breaking bad when it aired. Nobody was shouting BEST SHOW EVER, MUST SEE! back then.
I think a lot of people start watching it now expecting every second of it to be artistically on par with the Sistine chapel or something.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mrfart posted:

I'm so glad I watched breaking bad when it aired. Nobody was shouting BEST SHOW EVER, MUST SEE! back then.
I think a lot of people start watching it now expecting every second of it to be artistically on par with the Sistine chapel or something.

People were shouting that since at least Season 4 aired and I know because I caught up to it on Netflix before the second half of Season 5 aired.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
After re-watching The Wire, I just started watching Treme, not really knowing anything about it other than the fact that David Simon co-created it, and that Wendell Pierce, Clarke Peters, and Steve Zahn starred in it. I'm liking it so far; the characters, the setting, and the acting. But it hasn't really grabbed my attention the way like, say, The Wire did. I assume it only gets better, and this is just world building so far?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bunk and Lester crush their roles in Treme, Steve Zahn is the glue of the show though.

I'm holding off on season 4 until xmas when their is nowt on tv.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Exploder posted:

After re-watching The Wire, I just started watching Treme, not really knowing anything about it other than the fact that David Simon co-created it, and that Wendell Pierce, Clarke Peters, and Steve Zahn starred in it. I'm liking it so far; the characters, the setting, and the acting. But it hasn't really grabbed my attention the way like, say, The Wire did. I assume it only gets better, and this is just world building so far?
The dynamic and style of the show is a lot different from The Wire, as there is very little in terms of ongoing major plot threads. Each character is just trying to pick up the pieces of their life and it never really goes beyond that. I'd certainly say that it works though, you just have to be in the right kind of mindset for it. Overall I loved it.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I'd say Treme is one of those shows that doesn't lend itself well to binge watching. The characters are more important to the show than any of the individual plot lines so the show works really well if you're just checking in every once in a while to see people rebuilding their lives after Katrina.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

smg77 posted:

I'd say Treme is one of those shows that doesn't lend itself well to binge watching. The characters are more important to the show than any of the individual plot lines so the show works really well if you're just checking in every once in a while to see people rebuilding their lives after Katrina.

Yeah, I think you're right, I'm only really able to watch an episode a day. I do have to say that I'm really liking some of these characters, specifically Antoine, Albert, and Davis, so I think that bodes well for my enjoyment of the show.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy
It's not a series though it's on Netflix, but I have been watching Touching the Void in a sort of relentless way. Once a month for maybe 6 months. I don't care at all about mountain climbing, but this movie has been the real deal. It is actually a story about losing your humanity.

It really gets the mental gears turning. If it's not your thing there's no obligation, but I went into it with no expectations and it really was more than I expected and I just want to encourage anybody with under two hours of time free to give it a try. Totally worth it.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Status update on Breaking Bad: I'm up to Negro y Azul but non-goon reception to the show is meddling at best (It doesn't help when a person who abhors violence covers her head at that episode's events). She's willing to stick with it since I have the Blu-Rays except the last half-season but doesn't understand the hype. I know Saul gets introduced in the next episode via episode titles but is it past the point where she should've been hooked by now?

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 2, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah. I think most would agree it TRULY reaches greatness either at the very end of season 2 or in season 3.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Season one took two attempts to draw me in. It's not anywhere near as immediately engaging as the later seasons.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'd actually Rank S1 above s2 myself, but I do agree 3 and beyond is where it really gets going.
The pilot is pretty much perfect though.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Interesting, Odd that it was acclaimed from the get go then if that's the general consensus. I should be in Season 3 by late next week at my rate so I'll find out shortly if it's true. Thanks for the input.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004
Just binged out True Detectives as comcast has all the premium channels for free right now.

Good stuff.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

porkchop_express posted:

Just binged out True Detectives as comcast has all the premium channels for free right now.

You're my new favorite person. How do you find out when these things are coming?

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

porkchop_express posted:

Good stuff.

I'm also going through this, though I would hardly say binging because I don't want to rush through it too much.

Apart from that, I'm watching Vikings which is a lot better produced than I was expecting. As a UK goon I'm a bit conflicted about cheering the vikings on though :ohdear:

art of spoonbending
Jun 18, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Greyish Orange posted:

I'm also going through this, though I would hardly say binging because I don't want to rush through it too much.

Apart from that, I'm watching Vikings which is a lot better produced than I was expecting. As a UK goon I'm a bit conflicted about cheering the vikings on though :ohdear:

I've just finished True Detective and... all I can say is good poo poo. That's some good poo poo Marty.

art of spoonbending fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Oct 5, 2019

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

art of spoonbending posted:

I've just finished True Detective and... all I can say is good poo poo. That's some good poo poo Marty.

Seriously good poo poo.

A series I recently binged out prior to TD was Rectify . Currently streaming on netflix. Incredibly writing/acting here as well. 6 episodes hour-ish long about a guy who got convicted of murder-rape at age 18 and spends 20 years on death row until released on DNA evidence. The show portrays his re-integration into his Deep South small town life where he is accepted with open arms by the loving community. Well, all except for that last part.

Bit of a slow burn compared to TD, but the character development is first rate.

porkchop_express fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 2, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I think the introduction of Saul midway through Season 2 turned Breaking Bad from a good show into a legendary show. It really needed his comic relief and surprising competence.

Meanwhile, my wife and I slowed down our Fringe binge that we started in December, but we just have the Season 4 finale to watch, so we've averaged one season a month while being pretty busy. We haven't enjoyed Season 4 as much as 2 and 3, but when it's good, it's still drat good. I'm afraid to venture into the Fringe thread due to spoilers, but generally, what did people think of 4 (and even more generally, 5)?

I got caught up on Justified and Hannibal in time to watch (and love) the current seasons in real time, thanks to Amazon Prime streaming. We're also going to resubscribe to HBO for Game of Thrones, so I plan to binge-watch True Detective on HBO Go during that time, before we cancel again.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Meanwhile, my wife and I slowed down our Fringe binge that we started in December, but we just have the Season 4 finale to watch, so we've averaged one season a month while being pretty busy. We haven't enjoyed Season 4 as much as 2 and 3, but when it's good, it's still drat good. I'm afraid to venture into the Fringe thread due to spoilers, but generally, what did people think of 4 (and even more generally, 5)?

5 is beautiful, heartbreaking, and life-affirming. It goes out as the greatest sci-fi series ever made.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah I agree completely with that.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

I would agree with that statement as well, but from what I can tell, there is some dissension in opinion on season 5. It's almost completely different from the first 4 seasons, and it takes the craziness level up about 10 notches. It's incredible, and I said this in the Fringe thread and I'll say it again: if you've been paying attention for the last four seasons, you will be handsomely rewarded. Season 4 was hit or miss, but I still enjoyed it.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

I decided to take a break from Treme, got myself an Amazon Prime membership, and started watching Justified. In just a week, I'm already halfway through season 2. This show is pure loving awesomeness. It's started off slow, and honestly I wasn't really feeling it, but I'm glad I stuck with it because it all clicked towards the end of the season. The season 1 finale, appropriately titled Bulletville, was one of the best gunfights I've ever seen on television. I have to say that prior to watching Deadwood, I never really liked Timothy Olyphant, but now he's one of my favorite actors. And Walton Goggins plays an excellent god-fearing, white supremacist maniac.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I think Goggins is the only reason to watch that show. I didn't really like it when I was watching. I fell into the sunk cost fallacy at some point.

However, if you like Justified you might also like Banshee. Both main characters play by their own rules. And are the law-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Banshee is fun, but put alongside Justified it comes out looking awful. Also the lead actor has a weird head.