Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

caberham posted:

My personal experience with corporate travel agents have been nothing but misery. Yeah, they can negotiate bulk deals but for hotels I just need the corporate code or something like that.

Man that's rough. Now are you forced to comply with Fly America Act at all times or just for matters of reimbursement? You guys make a decent salary, so what's from stopping you saying "gently caress this, I'm paying on my own dime because I just want to go!" Or "man, I'm as tall as a Christmas tree, I'm going to upgrade to business class or exit row on my own:

As we pay "full fare" flights, they are always adjustable. I've heard it's quite common to upgrade via miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

caberham posted:

My personal experience with corporate travel agents have been nothing but misery. Yeah, they can negotiate bulk deals but for hotels I just need the corporate code or something like that.

Man that's rough. Now are you forced to comply with Fly America Act at all times or just for matters of reimbursement? You guys make a decent salary, so what's from stopping you saying "gently caress this, I'm paying on my own dime because I just want to go!" Or "man, I'm as tall as a Christmas tree, I'm going to upgrade to business class or exit row on my own:

It depends, really. There are always unique cases and special circumstances. if it's longer-than-8-hours I have heard there is justification for Economy Plus (vice Business Class); but I have also heard of approvals and denials based on interpretation of policy. Some people believe it applies to everyone and others believe it applies to Senior servicemembers.

You can always upgrade (via fees or milage) straight/right at the airport or post-booking of the Economy seats. They just will not reimburse you for any cost differences you incur. if it's your dime, they really don't care. I would say as a personal preference, if your flight is longer than 8 or 10 hours and you can afford, then do the upgrade. Shorter flights (1-5 hours) just aren't worth it

as for hotels, usually Embassies will have a network of trusted hotels. depending on where you are, this will constitute a reduction in price or you'll get pricejacked something like 3-5x because they know the gov't will pay. You can always say F that and book your own, but it has to be within per-diem guidelines to get reimbursed.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

caberham posted:

Or "man, I'm as tall as a Christmas tree, I'm going to upgrade to business class or exit row on my own:

Here's a fun tidbit: Upgrading is near impossible if it's a city pair and it's not a code share. Delta / Air Chance are notorious for this, and they make the experience VERY painful.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

As an abnormally tall person, this is yet another reason why I love Southwest and their choose your own adventure seating: the middle seats in the exit row are always empty.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

caberham posted:

You can cost construct (e.g. pay the difference between the government rate and the rate you end up choosing) sometimes, but not all the time.

Skandiaavity posted:

It depends, really. There are always unique cases and special circumstances. if it's longer-than-8-hours I have heard there is justification for Economy Plus (vice Business Class); but I have also heard of approvals and denials based on interpretation of policy. Some people believe it applies to everyone and others believe it applies to Senior servicemembers.

Economy Plus is super easy because you just cost construct the extra $50-$130 difference. If the flight is longer than 8 hours and you can write a justification why you need it (e.g. "I have meetings immediately on landing and need to be fresh and presentable") you can get business class lounge access at your intermediate point. It's frustratingly not worth it -- my credit card gave me more access. There is an even stricter justification for Business Class along the same lines, but the one time I applied for it for my Ambassador, we didn't get it (they gave him lounge access instead).

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

I fly so much on United that I always get upgraded to at least economy plus, and have gotten the upgrade to business on rare circumstances. But I would never pay for business on my own. It's like an extra $1500 when I'm flying to Dubai and I'm certainly not well paid enough that I can drop that much for a flight.

Business class is lovely though. That ice cream cart.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Leif. posted:

You can cost construct (e.g. pay the difference between the government rate and the rate you end up choosing) sometimes, but not all the time.

Economy Plus is super easy because you just cost construct the extra $50-$130 difference. If the flight is longer than 8 hours and you can write a justification why you need it (e.g. "I have meetings immediately on landing and need to be fresh and presentable") you can get business class lounge access at your intermediate point. It's frustratingly not worth it -- my credit card gave me more access. There is an even stricter justification for Business Class along the same lines, but the one time I applied for it for my Ambassador, we didn't get it (they gave him lounge access instead).

Like I said earlier - it really depends on who is reviewing. The policy has been updated quite a few times; although its quite clear, it became a matter of interpretation from whoever is the approver. Someone senior (MC? Higher?) has to sign off on it, and thats where I'd predict most get shot down. Your Ambassador really should have gotten it, I can't recall off the top of my head but I think AMB and Couriers are the two explicitly-stated-exceptions. For everyone else it has to be "unusual circumstances" i.e. full planes within +/- 2 days, reasonable accomodation, etc.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!
Who all around here just started A-100?

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.
Today I got an email from State asking me to complete a survey regarding my recent OA. Ugh, that sucked. It's like a woman who broke up with me just sent me a survey asking what kind of girlfriend I thought she was. At the end of the survey, they asked if I had any feedback regarding how to improve the assessment process. I mentioned that it would be nice/reasonable/equitable for candidates who narrowly failed to be given a second chance to pass the OA on a space-available basis within a certain period (like 6 months or something). Treating a candidate who got a 5.2 the same as one who got a 3.8 just seems cruel, especially since all failed candidates have to make it past the frustrating QEPs one year later. I don't know if they'll ever consider such a change, but I think it sounds reasonable. Probably too late for me though!

Anyway, I'll keep reading and posting here. I can experience the FS vicariously through you guys. And good luck to all of you who started A-100 this week!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey, at least you can reapply! Lots of places won't even look at you ever again when you failed the interview. You just suck and there are lot of other candidates out there who are more capable than you! It really is "better luck next time" when you failed on a merit based test. If you really want a hug box you can post in e/n about it. I'm sorry for being such a horrible human being for saying that. I actually have no idea what I'm talking about. At least I'm not competing for your dream job, anyways good luck and I'm sure you got the support of some very very nice goons :glomp:

So do you guys get Army/Navy/Diplomatic post box offices? That means free shipping for Amazon Prime right? Granted, there are restrictions like no bulky items or a crazy large BBQ :downsrim:

Giodo! posted:

I fly so much on United that I always get upgraded to at least economy plus, and have gotten the upgrade to business on rare circumstances. But I would never pay for business on my own. It's like an extra $1500 when I'm flying to Dubai and I'm certainly not well paid enough that I can drop that much for a flight.

Business class is lovely though. That ice cream cart.

Don't you guys get like a nice foreign stipend, foreign housing and all that expat jazz? Spending $1500 extra still sucks though.

Nutrimentia posted:

As we pay "full fare" flights, they are always adjustable. I've heard it's quite common to upgrade via miles.

Paying for full fare is insane :psyduck:

TCD posted:

From what I've seen, there's quite a change in rates from coach to business class in long haul flights... especially if you are paying for a family.

Usually Business is double Economy and First is triple the price of economy. I'm not tall at all so I have no problems with economy. Reimbursed travel expenses is definitely the most economic option, but subsidized business class rocks. It's a god send and makes trans continental flying comfortable. But then that means staying on American carriers :suicide:

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

caberham posted:

So do you guys get Army/Navy/Diplomatic post box offices? That means free shipping for Amazon Prime right? Granted, there are restrictions like no bulky items or a crazy large BBQ :downsrim:

Not always - it depends. Larger Posts tend to have it. We use FPO or DPO, same thing... not always free shipping, either, and i think there's only a 65 KG restriction. (people have ordered crazy large BBQ's among other items, too).

also Blackberry 10 sucks. There, I said it.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Does anyone have any blog links or articles specifically about spouses who are able or who attempt to continue to work in a private sector professional capacity overseas? Most of the trailing spouse blogs I can find are of the stay at home home parent variety, or "being CLO isn't so bad. "

Also interested in people who are able to telework back to a US company. I know that that's the exception rather than the rule, but I'm hoping that's something we can work out for at least the first tour.

If a spouse is able to work in a non USG position, I assume they would qualify for the foreign earned income tax exclusion?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Tyro posted:

Does anyone have any blog links or articles specifically about spouses who are able or who attempt to continue to work in a private sector professional capacity overseas? Most of the trailing spouse blogs I can find are of the stay at home home parent variety, or "being CLO isn't so bad. "

Also interested in people who are able to telework back to a US company. I know that that's the exception rather than the rule, but I'm hoping that's something we can work out for at least the first tour.

If a spouse is able to work in a non USG position, I assume they would qualify for the foreign earned income tax exclusion?

Tyro, it's possible depending on the Post. However, even when it's easy, it's a giant pain in the rear end.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Tyro posted:

Yes, I would say so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bona_fide_resident_test
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_presence_test#United_States

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

caberham posted:

Don't you guys get like a nice foreign stipend, foreign housing and all that expat jazz? Spending $1500 extra still sucks though.

FSOs generally do, but that's still a pretty big luxury. I'm based in DC though and don't get those perks, so it's a bit more stark.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

TCD posted:

Tyro, it's possible depending on the Post. However, even when it's easy, it's a giant pain in the rear end.

Yeah I figured. But the alternative will probably be an unaccompanied tour...

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012
FSOs, what's your budget like? I know when you're overseas, lease and basic utilities are paid for, but what other bills do you have to pay that I may not know about? Internet? Additional insurance? Cars?

Also, I just saw an announcement on the DoS forums, they will be hiring at attrition rate for the rest of FY2014. When does the fiscal year end? October?

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

Skandiaavity posted:

Not always - it depends. Larger Posts tend to have it. We use FPO or DPO, same thing... not always free shipping, either, and i think there's only a 65 KG restriction. (people have ordered crazy large BBQ's among other items, too).

I got a 94" 16:10 projector screen through DPO. That seemed to be the limit on how big of one I could get through.

As for BB10, I still say it is light years ahead of the old BBs. I mean I actually do use it by choice occasionally.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Stolennosferatu posted:

FSOs, what's your budget like? I know when you're overseas, lease and basic utilities are paid for, but what other bills do you have to pay that I may not know about? Internet? Additional insurance? Cars?

Also, I just saw an announcement on the DoS forums, they will be hiring at attrition rate for the rest of FY2014. When does the fiscal year end? October?

You pay for your own Internet, cable, and don't forget car insurance. Most places your provided with a cell phone for which they may or may not have you pay for personal calls. Honestly you save a ton of money if you aren't prone to spending all your discretionary income. The housing is really a huge plus.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Skandiaavity posted:

APO/FPO isn't free and there's a max weight of 70 pounds.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
i think he was referring to amazon prime (which does offer free shipping); not that it is always elgible.

but yes you will pay typical or military rates via USPS.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

AKA Pseudonym posted:

You pay for your own Internet, cable, and don't forget car insurance. Most places your provided with a cell phone for which they may or may not have you pay for personal calls. Honestly you save a ton of money if you aren't prone to spending all your discretionary income. The housing is really a huge plus.

Being at post only 3 months now (how time flies) I concur you can save money, if you aren't all crazy and order a ton of stuff online. Because my daughter isn't in kindergarten yet (she has another year until then) we have to pay for her to go to school. We shop 99% on the local economy, so we aren't spending crazy amounts on Amazon grocery orders and such. It does suck that some things you could just run to the store in the US to grab you do have to order (ex: my router died last night so I had to order one from Amazon, my wife ordered some Easter candy for the kids). The big thing is have a budget, so you know what you have coming in, and what you are spending it on. My wife doesn't work, but we are still able to save a good amount each month. It's not all Scrooge McDuck swimming in a pool of money amount, but it's a nice amount.

The big one, as AKA said is the housing allowance. I don't miss having a mortgage!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

SCRwM posted:

Being at post only 3 months now (how time flies) I concur you can save money, if you aren't all crazy and order a ton of stuff online. Because my daughter isn't in kindergarten yet (she has another year until then) we have to pay for her to go to school. We shop 99% on the local economy, so we aren't spending crazy amounts on Amazon grocery orders and such. It does suck that some things you could just run to the store in the US to grab you do have to order (ex: my router died last night so I had to order one from Amazon, my wife ordered some Easter candy for the kids).

Can't you grab a router in your local computer mall :iiam: Every goon has to know where the computer mall is! Are you posted in some obscure place? Complaining about ordering from Amazon US will not net you any sympathy from anyone else :colbert: Most people have to rely on 3rd party forwarders.

How much is Kindergarten? And do your children get free international schooling?

quote:

The big thing is have a budget, so you know what you have coming in, and what you are spending it on. My wife doesn't work, but we are still able to save a good amount each month. It's not all Scrooge McDuck swimming in a pool of money amount, but it's a nice amount.

The big one, as AKA said is the housing allowance. I don't miss having a mortgage!

Come now, if you can't save money on a government job on top of a free house, you should stop ordering American frosted flakes(I did a double blind test, the American ones did taste better).

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

caberham posted:

Can't you grab a router in your local computer mall :iiam: Every goon has to know where the computer mall is! Are you posted in some obscure place? Complaining about ordering from Amazon US will not net you any sympathy from anyone else :colbert: Most people have to rely on 3rd party forwarders.

How much is Kindergarten? And do your children get free international schooling?

Come now, if you can't save money on a government job on top of a free house, you should stop ordering American frosted flakes(I did a double blind test, the American ones did taste better).

well, no. Not every place is good as Singapore :haw: ..for example, in manila it's all poo poo third party chinese routers, nobody you would want to be purchasing from unless you absolutely needed it. A lot of the time, even though it goes unsaid, connections have a high probablity of being monitored.

also in singapore (ditto Australia I hear), it's cheaper to order U.S. food off amazon than it is to buy locally! (it really depends on where you are!)

Your children will get free schooling - up to end of High School. I don't want to say "Pre-K onwards" as some posts do offer allowances for Pre-K schooling; whereas others (possibly a majority) don't.. You get to choose the school. Kindegarten costs vary from country to country; some posts do not even offer Kindegarten, and depending on which school.. boarding school is always an option though.

it's not always easy to save money as often times you can/will be the only person working (possibly feeding a 3-4 person household); you forget to take into account some places don't have safe water, etc. It's by no means an easy job & the small things add up quick, but you should be able to save something as the housing is provided. in places where housing is not provided, you may lose out more because you may end up paying extra on top of the stipend they give you. (ex: you prefer a place that is $3500/mo, the stipend is 2800/mo; you will pay $700 a month for that place)

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 13, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Skandiaavity posted:

well, no. Not every place is good as Singapore :haw: ..for example, in manila it's all poo poo third party chinese routers, nobody you would want to be purchasing from unless you absolutely needed it. A lot of the time, even though it goes unsaid,

Sim Lim is over rated, and most home routers are made by the same manufacturers in the world, perhaps the packaging and software(software) is different. But yeah, buying straight from Amazon Prime is definitely a great perk. You guys can make so much money smuggling things and selling boutique baby products or whatever on the local ebay listings.

quote:

connections have a high probablity of being monitored.

Last time I heard, it was the American NSA snooping in on Hong Kong's traffic :downsrim:

quote:

also in singapore (ditto Australia I hear), it's cheaper to order U.S. food off amazon than it is to buy locally! (it really depends on where you are!)

US food is sacred. It's like prison cigarettes. HFC's have this hidden taste and makes everything awesome (and health problems). It's probably cheaper to just buy groceries at your locally unless you want to make a turkey for Thanksgiving. Now if only alcohol can be shipped across State lines then you guys can access craft beers world wide and drink all the Rogue Beer you want!

quote:

it's not always easy to save money as often times you can/will be the only person working (possibly feeding a 3-4 person household); you forget to take into account some places don't have safe water, etc. It's by no means an easy job & the small things add up quick, but you should be able to save something as the housing is provided. in places where housing is not provided, you may lose out more because you may end up paying extra on top of the stipend they give you. (ex: you prefer a place that is $3500/mo, the stipend is 2800/mo; you will pay $700 a month for that place)

I was going to ask. Is employment for spouses difficult because of security issues? There's just a long process to get vetted? And can you do small time part time work like English tutoring on the side?

You still get a free house and free schooling for your kids which goes a really long way. Granted, it's a very exclusive job with nice perks but I don't think you guys are in the realm of Hard Times here. That's why bubble expats are the butt of many jokes.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

caberham posted:

You guys can make so much money smuggling things and selling boutique baby products or whatever on the local ebay listings.

I hope you can see why there's an issue with this statement.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

TCD posted:

I can.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

:cop:

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

I'm just picturing some junior political officer wrapping up a meeting with a low-level counterpart functionary, furtively looking around, and then slyly opening up his briefcase.

"So, friend, now that our negotiations are finished, can I interest you in some hand-crafted educational baby products? What about Frosted Flakes?"

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
Is there a stigma about working in an IPC vs ISC -- for career advancement and such? Or, at least, was there one back in the "communicator support" days?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

problematique posted:

Is there a stigma about working in an IPC vs ISC -- for career advancement and such? Or, at least, was there one back in the "communicator support" days?

Hit me up at work.

Shotar-Didi
Jul 7, 2013

Nutrimentia posted:

Who all around here just started A-100?

I did! I feel slightly destroyed from my 1.5-hour Russian test today.

I actually took an FSI Russian test back in 2007 (as part of a fellowship, not as a fed), and back then I got a 3+/3. However, I really haven't spoken Russian at all in the seven years since.

Things were ugly.

Still, I feel like I have to have at least gotten a 2/2, and that's all I need at this point.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Shotar-Didi posted:

I did! I feel slightly destroyed from my 1.5-hour Russian test today.

I actually took an FSI Russian test back in 2007 (as part of a fellowship, not as a fed), and back then I got a 3+/3. However, I really haven't spoken Russian at all in the seven years since.

Things were ugly.

Still, I feel like I have to have at least gotten a 2/2, and that's all I need at this point.

Congrats for getting in! I thought you find out your test scores immediately (well, soon thereafter). I'm guessing you'll be language obligated in Russian then?

Problematique and I tried to get together for lunch last week but I was struck down by POMA and had to postpone. We should have a little get together sometime.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Currently going through FS clearance and not yet on the register. I believe everyone has been contacted and all the investigators have submitted their documents.

Is it uncouth to reach out to the local investigator to ask about status and a potential timeline? I know the process (and the Department) is notoriously slow, but I thought I might glean some information. I know the FSRB is the next step, I'm just hoping to have any frame of reference re: time.

Is there a better contact I should be using?

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.

Skandiaavity posted:

i think he was referring to amazon prime (which does offer free shipping); not that it is always elgible.

but yes you will pay typical or military rates via USPS.

Just read that Amazon Prime will increase to $99/year starting later this year. Just FYI.

Shotar-Didi
Jul 7, 2013

Nutrimentia posted:

Congrats for getting in! I thought you find out your test scores immediately (well, soon thereafter). I'm guessing you'll be language obligated in Russian then?

Problematique and I tried to get together for lunch last week but I was struck down by POMA and had to postpone. We should have a little get together sometime.

Thanks! A get-together sometime would be great. We have our offsite on March 24-26, but otherwise we have an hour free for lunch at FSI on most days.

Yeah, when I took the language test before, I got my scores there at the test, along with feedback from the testers. But this time they gave me a print-out saying that I should look on HR-online for my score in the next couple of days, and that I can make an appointment for feedback if I wish.

I came in with an obligation for Russian, since I got bonus points on the Register for passing a Russian phone test. As a local hire, I'm hoping to get assigned to a Russian-speaking post for my first tour, just to get out of DC quickly. I'd really love to spend a long time at FSI for intensive language study--but really only once I'm eligible for per diem.

Strudelmeyer
Sep 17, 2012

zzonkmiles posted:

Just read that Amazon Prime will increase to $99/year starting later this year. Just FYI.

They auto-renewed my account just a few days ago at $79 so I am good for the next year. Some Amazon shippers just won't ship to a DPO even for something that is totally allowed under the rules.

caberham posted:

I was going to ask. Is employment for spouses difficult because of security issues? There's just a long process to get vetted? And can you do small time part time work like English tutoring on the side?

Clearances can take a long time but you are also competing with other spouses that may have their clearances already, have already done the job you are appyling for or just happened to get to post or assigned to post a little before you.
The U.S. also needs to have an agreement to let you work in the host country if you are going to get a job outside the mission. You also have to get permission from your Ambassador. Teaching or subbing at local schools is common.

TCD posted:

DS is watching. :stare:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Strudelmeyer posted:

DS is watching. :stare:

Hello! :wave:

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

Shotar-Didi posted:

Thanks! A get-together sometime would be great. We have our offsite on March 24-26, but otherwise we have an hour free for lunch at FSI on most days.

Yeah, when I took the language test before, I got my scores there at the test, along with feedback from the testers. But this time they gave me a print-out saying that I should look on HR-online for my score in the next couple of days, and that I can make an appointment for feedback if I wish.

I came in with an obligation for Russian, since I got bonus points on the Register for passing a Russian phone test. As a local hire, I'm hoping to get assigned to a Russian-speaking post for my first tour, just to get out of DC quickly. I'd really love to spend a long time at FSI for intensive language study--but really only once I'm eligible for per diem.

Looks like you guys had a good number to choose, 8-10 or something if I remember. Interesting list. So many Mexico :stare:. Hopefully you get one you're looking for. I'm at FSI all next week, so we should get lunch with nutrimentia if you're around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

I'd love a Mexico City gig.

Also, I really can't wait for tomorrow afternoon.