Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Flannelette posted:

I thought S&D was a mode made by some modders for unranked servers and tripwire are only making it "official" since some people like it.

That's a pretty succinct summary. There was an interest from some of the competitive clans to make the mod official. It's getting some bug fixes, maps and admin support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll play before i'll knock it further but i don't understand how RO can fit a S&D mode, with all the one hit kills and easiness to conceal yourself.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm still haunted by Grandpa's stories about defending the bomb against a bunch of scrubs on a public server during the Big One. This game may have just gotten a bit too real for me.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

moths posted:

I'm still haunted by Grandpa's stories about defending the bomb against a bunch of scrubs on a public server during the Big One. This game may have just gotten a bit too real for me.

"Son, do you know what the German word for "human being" is? I do, and I'll tell you, I know it well"

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!
I can't stop laughing at the fact that they even bothered to release transports in the beta just now. RO2 released on September 13th, 2011.

It has taken 2.5 years for them to add the APCs promised for release.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Alain Perdrix posted:

I can't stop laughing at the fact that they even bothered to release transports in the beta just now. RO2 released on September 13th, 2011.

It has taken 2.5 years for them to add the APCs promised for release.

What's even the point? The maps are small enough that the APCs would trundle over all of forty feet before reaching the next objective.

There are some user-made maps that they could work on, but even then they're just huge targets.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's astounding that you still can't climb onto the tanks and ride them.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
Transports are in and I guess some other crap, the update is like 8 gigs and I'm not downloading that poo poo right now, gently caress it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Haha good effort Tripwire, had you done it when people actually had faith in you you'd probably still have some credibility instead of a 8 gig patch no one will download.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Played on a map with a transport on it, spent my time watching it spazz out into a building.

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!
The new maps are fun, and thankfully there's still 4-6 full 64-players servers a night in Europe. Transports are only implemented into three maps, only one of which is actually fun (Rakowice).

EvilHobo
Dec 28, 2008
Infantry transports are awful anyway because more often than not the application of them is just some tard hopping in and driving off. Maps that have made them a central focus suffer when people are waiting on transports to get them in to battle.

The one thing I had hoped to do was make transports mobile spawn points like the squad leader is. I haven't played the game in a long time but I hardly imagine that the maps really are all that great with transports (kind of how most of the combined arms maps are infantry maps that had tanks added so they could claim that they had combined arms maps).

[insert years of "wasted potential" discussion]

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I find myself enjoying HoS as long as I'm not playing on one of the launch maps. Seeing the loading screen for 64 player Apartments prompts an immediate reflexive alt+f4.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

The problem is a server is going to be playing Apartments a lot because for some loving reason, Pubbies love the poo poo out of Apartments.

Also the Red Orchestra thread is leaking into the Rising Storm thread.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
It's sad looking at the Tripwire facebook since everyone there is just on their knees for them rather than saying "You assholes hosed up and only care about your stupid zombie game."

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
So the new Rising Storm maps fun? Been enjoying it more than the base game since the Japanese side is still very fun to play. I'll probably have to play American soon since I maxed out the rifles for the Axis side.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tracula posted:

It's sad looking at the Tripwire facebook since everyone there is just on their knees for them rather than saying "You assholes hosed up and only care about your stupid zombie game."

They don't. They released two weak updates since the summer with little to no effort in an attempt at grabbing that sweet DLC money and then forgot about the game. KF is really dead atm too.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mans posted:

They don't. They released two weak updates since the summer with little to no effort in an attempt at grabbing that sweet DLC money and then forgot about the game. KF is really dead atm too.

That's still considerably more updates than RO2 or RS have gotten :v:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So what are they doing?

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

Vahakyla posted:

So what are they doing?

I figure the reason we're not seeing any updates is that both Tripwire and the RS guys laid off 80-90% of their staff following release. Or the core team never numbered over 10-15 people, who are probably working second jobs most of the time.

If you picture Tripwire as a rag-tag mod team (which they started out as), the lack of updates sadly make more sense.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Man Whore posted:

The problem is a server is going to be playing Apartments a lot because for some loving reason, Pubbies love the poo poo out of Apartments.

Lots of bottlenecks for easy kills. Germans have a machine gun nest that can basically lock down the entire left side of the map (for a moron pubbie team) after the first two points are taken.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Tracula posted:

RS and RO2 have gotten a lot more attention than Killing Floor these past two years. We've been waiting on KF2 and haven't heard anything about it, really.

edit: Also Killing Floor owns and is a much better game

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.pcgamesn.com/red-orchestra-2-will-be-free-forever-steam-so-long-you-click-button-tomorrow

Free Red Orchestra to anyone who gives a toss about clicking a button.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

There's some kind of giveaway going on on FB too for 5 days. https://www.facebook.com/pcgamermagazine?sk=app_1388059771476168

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Anyone not owning either, be reminded that getting the free Red Orchestra from Steam now will also enable you to play rifleman class in Rising Storm maps which is a great leeway.

In addition, while only limited to one class, you can pick up any weapon you want.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
Also for any new players to this game please think before you fire, shooting your teammates in the back just because you thought they were the bad guys isn't very nice. The trick to avoid unnecessary team kills is allies sprint with both hands on their guns while axis only have one hand and germans/americans have green uniforms while soviets/japanese have brownish uniforms.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The german rifle carry is historically accurate also and very distinct from russian drills.

http://www.dererstezug.com/HandletheRifle.htm

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wouldn't carrying with both arms be less tiring in the long run?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I don't know how obvious this is but I've sure run into people that do not know this.

Another way to separate friends from foes is looking at where they are(and how they are acting). Players naturally take cover from their enemies, or in general the enemy side of the map. If someone is taking cover behind a wall, but is not covered from YOU, he is probably a friendly.

One moment comes to mind from back in RO2.
I had thrown smoke to conceal an approach to an enemy point. I was ducking behind a wall and was waiting for the smoke to take effect.
A teammate, a rifleman with a bolt action rifle, came around the corner from spawn and saw me covering about 15m away. He shot once at me missing me completely. I didn't make the connection that he was shooting at me as I was looking another way.
He shot again and hit me non-fatally. I looked over at him as I bandaged and after I finished, as I was typing about him being too dumb to play this game, he shot and killed me.

Not only wouldn't I be sitting there if I was the enemy, I could have shot him 10 times over as he was killing me.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Mans posted:

Not really. I've had to carry Mosins/K98s through the woods for hours before and it's not really an issue. I'm not trained or anything, they just aren't that heavy. Only feel like they're about 10lbs.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mans posted:

It looks like they are just letting it hang as dead weight rather than really supporting it, so.it is less stress.would be doubly so.if you used both hands

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

Just played a few rounds on some new maps for RS, which both reminded me of the Darkest Hour-type linear progression maps.
There are tons of players on at the moment, 30+ full servers an hour or so ago.

Looks like the game has sprung back to life, atleast for a little bit! If you get a chance, try out OtoriShima and PhosphatePlant for RS if you haven't already. Great fun!

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Does it make me a bad person that some of the most fun I've had in the game is seeing how many bots I can kill with the Nagant Revolver? It seems to me the game is filled with either tryhard types that know every nook and cranny to shoot from or braindead pubbies, so I figured I'd cut to the chase and have my own fun instead of trying to work with either assholes or morons.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I have also played that game, the muffled siren's call of sweet sweet silencer.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
gently caress, the game isn't saving my progress. I'm trying to grind for the Nagant Revolver silencer, but it always rolls back to level 2 when I start a new botmatch. :argh:

Orv
May 4, 2011

closeted republican posted:

gently caress, the game isn't saving my progress. I'm trying to grind for the Nagant Revolver silencer, but it always rolls back to level 2 when I start a new botmatch. :argh:

Bot matches don't count. :smith:

Or at least they're not supposed to, god only knows when Tripwire's servers are functioning properly.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Orv posted:

Bot matches don't count. :smith:

Or at least they're not supposed to, god only knows when Tripwire's servers are functioning properly.

loving assholes. I thought you could grind weapon levels in botmatches, but I guess not. I even killed a few human opponents online, but the level-up I got with the Nagant Revolver didn't count. gently caress off Tripwire.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You have to look for a rated game with zero players and many bots.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

moths posted:

You have to look for a rated game with zero players and many bots.

Is there a way to set up something like a listen server to bypass it? Seriously, the weapon unlock system in this game is so dumb I feel zero guilt cheating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

In the server browser, you can toggle filters to only show RO games and then sort by number of players. The unlock system is complete garbage.

There were also some modes that give more XP but that may not actually be true.

• Locked thread