Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monastery Dweller
Jul 13, 2010

Eee-Yup.
Last year, around the time the new consoles came out, I bought an xbox one controller. Given Microsofts dedication to the 360 controller and especially the craftiness of the fans, I assumed there would be a driver pretty soon. But up until today I could only longingly look at my controller. Also I'm poor and can't afford the actual console.

Today, I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was one guy who actually managed to put out a simple app to map your Xbone pad to xinput! Basically, all you need is to watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGXHejtLeII and use these files.

There's a few hiccups, though. The D-Pad doesn't seem to work yet. And of course: no rumble.
But now, that we know how to mess with the thing, maybe somebody can figure those out as well, maybe?

Check out my other thread where I do the same for the DualShock 4 And please, do me a favor and hate on @cgallizzi for a minute, if you could. That fraud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is this controller better than the XBox controller for PC users? I'm in need of a controller and was trying to find a comparison.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Chuu posted:

Is this controller better than the XBox controller for PC users? I'm in need of a controller and was trying to find a comparison.

Without official driver support probably not. I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't released a PC version of the controller yet.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Apparently the aim is to release an official PC driver some time in 2014 (so probably late this year). http://www.tomshardware.com/news/controller-xbox-one-pc-gaming-drivers-2014,23864.html

It'd be nice to see how this compares to the DS4 controller or if it prompts the release of an official driver soon. I need a new controller since I killed another 360 receiver.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Chuu posted:

...no? I fail to see why a PC user would get an xbone controller (now) over the regular xbox, yes it has a better dpad but who actually uses that in PC games aside from navigating menus? The bumpers are a downgrade, and the rumble triggers will only get support in PC ports once the official MS drivers are released, if ever.

The most hassle-fee controller for the PC these days is still the wired Xbox controller. It's the cheapest option, the most compatible (there are a few older games that won't recognize the wireless because it has a different device ID, can be fixed with .ini edits for some games and the xbox controller emulator though).

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

The most hassle-fee controller for the PC these days is still the wired Xbox controller. It's the cheapest option, the most compatible (there are a few older games that won't recognize the wireless because it has a different device ID, can be fixed with .ini edits for some games and the xbox controller emulator though).

Well, you're slightly right but I feel the DS3 is only a very small bit more involved using Xinput Wrapper which is super easy to install and completely plug and forget as it runs as a service.

More importantly, you can use a DS3 over Bluetooth which may be built into your computer or it's a cheap $5 BT USB-stick unlike a 360 receiver which is another cord dangling there. Having a cord in 2014 sucks and it's being nice not to accidentally yoink it out or get it tangled up.

True, a wired 360 is $20 compared to $35 for a DS3 but I find DS3 is more comfortable (obviously a preference choice but most people I know also prefer it) and having the better D-Pad is handy for platformers or if you use emulators.

Monastery Dweller
Jul 13, 2010

Eee-Yup.
Right now I would recommend the DualShock 4. It is relatively hassle-free to set up, works wirelessly and has a built-in touchpad that's really great. Also it feels better than the X360 and Xbone controllers IMO. You can even use the sixaxis. At some point there will also be support for bluetooth audio and the built in speaker.

What's nice about the Xbone controller is the long sticks and the fact that it will be WiFi direct. I don't know if I like the clicky Shoulder buttons and D-Pad yet.

e:Spelling.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Xaris posted:

I feel the DS3 is only a very small bit more involved

Nah, it's not only slightly more involved, let's be clear here: with the Xbox 360 controller everything is totally seamless, plug and play.

All new games will display the actual icons for the buttons as Xbox 360 controller buttons, so playing through is utterly seamless. Although it's trivial to work out which buttons are what on a DS3 of course, just saying, it's not a console-like experience.

I'm not saying others aren't good options, and they, I'm sure, are rewarding to use, but there's no denying at all that the Microsoft Common Controller for Windows (Xbox 360 controller) is the cleanest option.

I'm very interested in the DualShock 4 myself, though, but I can't come close to justifying cost on anything non-essential right now.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 14, 2014

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Yes it has a better dpad but who actually uses that in PC games aside from navigating menus?

A good D-Pad is incredibly important if emulators are going to be a significant part of its usage.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Chuu posted:

A good D-Pad is incredibly important if emulators are going to be a significant part of its usage.

Then you're much better off just getting a PS2 controller with an adapter for far cheaper than an bone controller if emulators are a major thing for you.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Guess what boys and girls?

PC Drivers for the Xbox One Controller Now Available

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress, and I just received my ebay wireless receiver :argh:

Well anyway the drivers are wired-only and my controllers were :10bux: each so... nice try, Microsoft!

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Even Diablo has a soft side

It works with them but I want it wireless is there any way to do that yet? Do they use Bluetooth?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

LunaSky posted:

It works with them but I want it wireless is there any way to do that yet? Do they use Bluetooth?

No and No

Because ms says gently caress you.

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Even Diablo has a soft side
drat it all. Looks like I will be returning it and getting the DS4 instead. You would think MS would be on this :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

LunaSky posted:

drat it all. Looks like I will be returning it and getting the DS4 instead. You would think MS would be on this :(

MS might not make a profit on the controllers.

• Locked thread