Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I wonder how Brawler counters would be if they became something akin to "pre-empters" instead? Having some talents that actually impact the turn and order of operations as it were beyond being Slow or Super Speedy could definitely shake things up a bit.

That would also perhaps give it some credence versus spellcasters, as you'd get your free attack in so long as you were in melee at least I guess, which is better than nothing as it stands.
They have exactly that already, Heightened Reflexes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Dodge Charms posted:

They have exactly that already, Heightened Reflexes.

He's talking about counterattack talents, which I think is a pretty good idea - being able to cold-cock an injured spellcaster and kill him mid-spell would be righteous as gently caress.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

He's talking about counterattack talents, which I think is a pretty good idea - being able to cold-cock an injured spellcaster and kill him mid-spell would be righteous as gently caress.

Why just spells? Have it apply to melee techniques as well. gently caress you and your shield pummel bulwark enemies.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Something like a D&D Attack of Opportunity when dudes start spellcasting up in your face?

Just be careful that you don't make Brawler rares start smashing players' faces in. I mean, dear god, think of the Horned Horror.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

Hmm, maybe fold that into ...

Agean90 posted:

Why just spells? Have it apply to melee techniques as well. gently caress you and your shield pummel bulwark enemies.
Cunning / Tactical, since the 2nd skill in that tree gives you free counter-attacks when a jerk misses you in melee. But really, if there's an Arcane caster in your face and you're worried about that jerk, in the next version you'll just want to use Grapple, just like ...

theshim posted:

Just be careful that you don't make Brawler rares start smashing players' faces in. I mean, dear god, think of the Horned Horror.
Yeah. That guy is a super pain specifically because grapple = pin + silence.

Honestly I want more area-attacks and ally-negation for the Brawler, because that kind of thing doesn't work against most PCs.

It does work against Oozemancers and Necromancers and Summoners, and I have no problem with those guys getting some bonus grief.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

theshim posted:

Something like a D&D Attack of Opportunity when dudes start spellcasting up in your face?

Being able to interrupt spells by punching wizard nerds in the face would be pretty BS to deal with as a passive ability. Maybe it should be an activated buff with a short-ish duration, so savvy players can just avoid using talents on that guy for a few turns.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
There is already a passive ability to punch muscle man nerds in the face, with your mind, for trying to hit you. But its in that garbage feedback tree thats locked on solipsists

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

jsoh posted:

There is already a passive ability to punch muscle man nerds in the face, with your mind, for trying to hit you. But its in that garbage feedback tree thats locked on solipsists
Is that tree really garbage? Or is it just bad in comparison to Nightmares which is amazing?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Its a "do more damage" tree on a class that has distortion and psychic assault and dream smith already

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Basically, Brawlers should have an ability like Hamedo in Final Fantasy Tactics - if you try to hurt them from in melee range, they should have a chance to pre-emptively punch you in the face so hard that you forget what you were about to do even before checking to see if you were going to hit.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

I'd advocate for Brawlers having a skill that lets them bat projectiles out of the way once in a while, if Mindslayers didn't have such a skill already. Maybe if there's a projectile on screen within a certain radius you can rush up to it and punch it back at the caster?

I do realize this makes little to no sense, but it would be really cool.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Brawlers already have a passive that gives them a 300% speed buff whenever they're targeted by a projectile. Instead of punching it back, you can just run around the arrow and punch the archer in the face.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

A Meat posted:

I'd advocate for Brawlers having a skill that lets them bat projectiles out of the way once in a while, if Mindslayers didn't have such a skill already. Maybe if there's a projectile on screen within a certain radius you can rush up to it and punch it back at the caster?

I do realize this makes little to no sense, but it would be really cool.

Give them a skill that lets you grab the arrow mid-flight!
Put 5 points in it and you get to throw it back in their stupid face.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Brawlers already have a passive that gives them a 300% speed buff whenever they're targeted by a projectile. Instead of punching it back, you can just run around the arrow and punch the archer in the face.

Unless you're in a hallway or close enough to just get hit by it immediately or surrounded by enemies or...

Reflexive Dodging definitely owns, but Brawler really would benefit from the addition of more cool, unique defensive abilities.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Won with a Skeleton Brawler.

I have to say I'm looking forward to 1.1.6, because other than a small slice of time between Vor and the Slime Tunnels, this guy was not really fun to play. Tons of damage up close, but so, so, so many weaknesses. Also the first time I've ever had Aeryn die :(

And then I tried Atamathon for laughs and whoops, just under 500 damage when hit means a Flurry of Fists averages out to taking approximately 4k damage. :what: So he's dead, and good riddance. Come 1.1.6 I may revisit Brawlers.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013
It's interesting that you took Unflinching Resolve 5/5 but left Resilient Bones at 1/5. Why neglect your racial condition duration reduction?

Also, why are you wearing -% fire resist armor instead of the Spydrė robe? Golems like Atamathon are big into fire damage.

Also also Dakthun's Gauntlets or even the Spellhunt Remnants look more useful for this fight, especially if you disperse with the Remnants then change them out for something less spell-fail prone.

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002

I like that due to your equipment your character was an undead-undead-Undead. ;)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Dodge Charms posted:

Also, why are you wearing -% fire resist armor instead of the Spydrė robe? Golems like Atamathon are big into fire damage.

The Eternal Night set is absolutely incredible if you can mitigate its few weaknesses. Universal flat damage reduction is amazingly good.

But yeah you uh. You want to be really goddamn resistant to fire against Atamathon.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dodge Charms posted:

It's interesting that you took Unflinching Resolve 5/5 but left Resilient Bones at 1/5. Why neglect your racial condition duration reduction?

Also also Dakthun's Gauntlets or even the Spellhunt Remnants look more useful for this fight, especially if you disperse with the Remnants then change them out for something less spell-fail prone.
With Unflinching Resolve at 5/5 nothing that I can't immediately remove with runes/Relenetless Pursuit lasts more than a couple turns anyway, so Resilient Bones was never important enough for me to max. I probably should have, though.

I actually switched over to the Spellhunt Remnants to shut down Reflective Skin, and then switched back to the merchant gloves. But yes, I really should have taken off the Eternal Night set, or at least kept the Fiery Choker around or something. I am not very good at this game, you see! (I was actually wearing the Spydrė robe for something like 20 levels :v:)

NuminaXLT posted:

I like that due to your equipment your character was an undead-undead-Undead. ;)
Sadly, the merchant belt didn't roll with the unlife ego, or I could have been an undead-undead-undead-Undead :zombie: Also, triple Retch with the Eternal Night's -30 damage reduction made me pretty hilariously tanky to anything except massive spike damage.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

theshim posted:

With Unflinching Resolve at 5/5 nothing that I can't immediately remove with runes/Relenetless Pursuit lasts more than a couple turns anyway, so Resilient Bones was never important enough for me to max. I probably should have, though.
Dunno. Resilient Bones 5/5 cuts the incoming durations of every detrimental effect by up to ~47% or so, and IIRC if you catpoint Race / Skeleton that 5/5 gives you over 50% incoming duration reduction. So stuff wouldn't stick around long anyway.

But, it would never randomly remove being Stunned, and I dunno how to value the universal duration reduction vs. the random specific effect removal. I was kind of hoping you had a magic formula :v:

theshim
May 1, 2012

The intelligent thing to do would be 5/5 both of them, effectively cutting the duration of most negative effects down to approximately 25%. Stack that with Relentless Pursuit, Providence, and a couple clearing runes, and you're in pretty good shape. But, as I said, I am pretty bad at ToME. :buddy: That said, 5/5 RP is insanely good, most things just fall off within a turn or two. Especially hilarious with a triple Retch stack out there, three more 11% chances to clear physical effects.

Mrgh. I had an idea for my next hilariously stupid gimmick run but I've forgotten it.

Taking suggestions. :getin:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

theshim posted:

Mrgh. I had an idea for my next hilariously stupid gimmick run but I've forgotten it.

Triple mindblade wielding Adventurer with Mindslayer auras, poisons, the Punishments tree for Madness, and Mental Tyranny. Every time you go anywhere or do anything, everything nearby takes a billion mental debuffs and continues taking a billion mental debuffs for the rest of forever because you poisoned their minds. Add Gloom for maximum comedy.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Take Cursed Aura and stack up on shrouds (with seven items you get like 13 constitution and two seperate 35% resist all boosts).

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

theshim posted:

The intelligent thing to do would be 5/5 both of them, effectively cutting the duration of most negative effects down to approximately 25%. Stack that with Relentless Pursuit, Providence, and a couple clearing runes, and you're in pretty good shape. But, as I said, I am pretty bad at ToME. :buddy: That said, 5/5 RP is insanely good, most things just fall off within a turn or two. Especially hilarious with a triple Retch stack out there, three more 11% chances to clear physical effects.

Pacifist run. (I have no idea how this would work)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

BigLeafyTree posted:

There are 6ish places in the game that you actually have to kill something: the Master, the bosses in the four prides, and the final boss. Maybe with a lot of healing and buffing abilities you could get Aeryn to kill the boss for you, but you'd have to do the charred scar first and I'm not sure if you can actually leave without killing that boss.

It might be interesting to do a minimum-kill run where you only kill bosses or something.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

BigLeafyTree posted:

Play a summoner :v:

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

theshim posted:

Adventurer with as many trees that give you a sustain/skill that constantly shoots projectiles.

I don't really remember all of them, but I know Fire alchemy has one, and Dream Forge and Discharge each have one. I think one of the Anorithil trees has something like that, I never managed to last long enough with one to get one going. I'd say Stone vines, but Adventurers can't have SW trees. Does the AM Storm tree have something like that or am I confused?

theshim
May 1, 2012

Archmage does get Thunderstorm. The Solipsist ones root you, though, IIRC.

I probably should have mentioned that I prefer to do it on base classes rather than Adventurer. Also, I am considering a melee Solipsist named Hammerzeit.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

Ugh, I just had the dumbest idea for an adventurer, I'll try tomorrow and see if I can get a quadhammer Adventurer (Reaver/Mindslayer/Dreamsmith Solipsist) going, it seems like it'd have its stats stretched precariously thin between Str, Mag and Wil, since you'd also probably want some Con and Cun in there for good measure.

I don't think I've ever had a Mindslayer with a TK wielded weapon and not an animeblade.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

A Meat posted:

Ugh, I just had the dumbest idea for an adventurer, I'll try tomorrow and see if I can get a quadhammer Adventurer (Reaver/Mindslayer/Dreamsmith Solipsist) going, it seems like it'd have its stats stretched precariously thin between Str, Mag and Wil, since you'd also probably want some Con and Cun in there for good measure.

I don't think I've ever had a Mindslayer with a TK wielded weapon and not an animeblade.

You wouldn't need any Magic at all if you just want Reaving Combat for dual mace shenanigans. You could really just go apeshit on Str and Wil to create a mega beefy Mjolnir-tossing violence elemental. If you want to get Mag involved, have a Golem as well and give it a hammer and then take Blighted Summoning later so it can wield two hammers. Also name it Hammer and be named Hammer so you have Hammer wielding quadhammers and Hammer II wielding doublehammers for a total of eight hammers. Octohammers :black101:

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Angry Diplomat posted:

You wouldn't need any Magic at all if you just want Reaving Combat for dual mace shenanigans. You could really just go apeshit on Str and Wil to create a mega beefy Mjolnir-tossing violence elemental. If you want to get Mag involved, have a Golem as well and give it a hammer and then take Blighted Summoning later so it can wield two hammers. Also name it Hammer and be named Hammer so you have Hammer wielding quadhammers and Hammer II wielding doublehammers for a total of eight hammers. Octohammers :black101:

If you've got a hammer bro tanking for you, there is no excuse not to call yourself MC Hammer. CAN'T TOUCH THIS

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Transient People posted:

If you've got a hammer bro tanking for you, there is no excuse not to call yourself MC Hammer. CAN'T TOUCH THIS

In that case you need the time travel tree so you can summon Future You to bring 5 more hammers into the fray. Possibly 8 more if future you brings his Golem. Oh god I kind of want to try a thoughtform/Golem/Shadows/Time Travel Adventurer. I'll name them EVERYTHING IS ME

e: Shades too, for Forgery of Haze.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 13, 2014

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

In that case you need the time travel tree so you can summon Future You to bring 5 more hammers into the fray. Possibly 8 more if future you brings his Golem. Oh god I kind of want to try a thoughtform/Golem/Shadows/Time Travel Adventurer. I'll name them EVERYTHING IS ME

e: Shades too, for Forgery of Haze.
Also you may be able to throw in the Dwarf Halves if that Dwarven Adventurer addon still works.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Just got my 4th normal/RL win using a Wyrmic.

I did 1/4/1/1 in the shield offense tree (until late game when I dumped 4 more points into assault because I could)
I had acid, fire, cold and sand breaths at 5 and then 1/1/1/5 that unlockable tree with the skill that increases elemental damage and resists.

For prodigies I went with Spectral Shield + Eternal Guard and I didn't regret it for a second. I am lazy so I kept 2 regen infusions and block on autocast and I was healing 200-250 hp a turn plus blocking everything that came my way. It allowed me to be really stupid with the character who didn't even need the BoL until I fought Lianil who kicked my butt and now I'm dead.

I was wearing Crystal Heart and Crystal Focus-ified voratun plate and longsword. Together they're actually decent, doing tons of arcane damage is nice since there's not a lot of stuff I ran into with high arcane resist, but I kept forgetting that I was doing arcane damage and I stacked physical resist/+Phys damage stuff which is kinda laffo in retrospect.

I bought a randart shield that was fantastic and I was getting 2-3k crits with assault regularly, which is really all I needed considering how tanky this dude was.

For the final fight I barely used any of my breath skills or bellowing roar and really I just pounded everything with assault, dissolve and dissolve from Destara's Scales.

I've won with an AM Berserker, AM Bulwark and AM Brawler and this was by far my easiest win, I only healed once and that was at 50% HP not including the heroic infusion I popped. In fact I used nature's touch on Aeryn a few times.

I did let the timer run out on Charred Scar to see what it was like. Also I was curious if PD from Aetherwalk boots would work in the Sanctum. Spoilers below for anyone who wants to know the answers to these questions since nobody in tome chat seemed to know:

So if you let the timer run out on Charred Scar Aeryn shows up at High Peak 10 and wants to fight. After you beat her you have the option to kill her or talk to her. Talking to her I got her to play nice and she showed up in the Sanctum which means letting Charred Scar run out isn't that big of a deal as far as winning the game since if you can't beat her 1v1 by High Peak 10 you're in trouble.

However, after I won I wasn't able to go back into Gates of the Morning because it was destroyed by the two end bosses who are jerks or something.

Also, I was able to use Aetherwalk's Phase Door in the sanctum. Are you normally able to use Phase Door in there, btw?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

fnordcircle posted:

Also, I was able to use Aetherwalk's Phase Door in the sanctum. Are you normally able to use Phase Door in there, btw?

If you're talking about the little arena thing where the final battle takes place, yeah, you can always teleport in there. If it was anti-teleport, certain classes (Chronomancers lol) would be unfairly hosed in the last fight.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Angry Diplomat posted:

Triple mindblade wielding Adventurer with Mindslayer auras, poisons, the Punishments tree for Madness, and Mental Tyranny. Every time you go anywhere or do anything, everything nearby takes a billion mental debuffs and continues taking a billion mental debuffs for the rest of forever because you poisoned their minds. Add Gloom for maximum comedy.

jsoh posted:

Take Cursed Aura and stack up on shrouds (with seven items you get like 13 constitution and two seperate 35% resist all boosts).

Decided I wanted to try this for myself, but I can't see Cursed Aura or Beyond The Flesh anywhere in the available talents for Adventurer. Do they become available by taking some other talent or are they just class exclusive?

e: Looks like it's the former for BtF.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 14, 2014

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

Nastyman posted:

Decided I wanted to try this for myself, but I can't see Cursed Aura or Beyond The Flesh anywhere in the available talents for Adventurer. Do they become available by taking some other talent or are they just class exclusive?
Take Absorption and put a point in one of the shields, you get Beyond the Flesh free with your purchase of any Mindslayer talents.

I think Adventurers can't get Cursed Aura in the main campaign in the current version. (Unless you cheat, which is bad in that it prevents linking your character.)

theshim
May 1, 2012

The telekinetic slot and Beyond the Flesh are automatic if you take any mindslayer category. Sadly, Adventurers cannot get Cursed Aura, though.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013
With a tiny bit of effort, I can get Cursed Aura to work for Adventurers via an addon. I'll make it an option in Nulltweaks.

(On the subject of Nulltweaks stuff, did anyone try out the new Mastery option?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dodge Charms posted:

With a tiny bit of effort, I can get Cursed Aura to work for Adventurers via an addon. I'll make it an option in Nulltweaks.

(On the subject of Nulltweaks stuff, did anyone try out the new Mastery option?)

It feels like pointless complexity that doesn't really solve any problem.

• Locked thread