Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Can you land a 777 on an aircraft carrier? The US landed a C-130, also a transport plane, on an aircraft carrier over fifty years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM5AI3YSV3M&t=39s

China has recently commissioned an aircraft carrier.

Makes you think :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
what if it transformed into a space fairing battleship like those animes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

what if it transformed into a space fairing battleship like those animes

Don't be silly.

Only A380s can turn into battleships, 777s can only turn into space battlecruisers at best.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

:colbert:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

SEALBEE hijackers attached pontoons in flight and landed at a forgotten WWII Catalina refueling station

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
all of these theories should be explored because they carry the same weight as anything the news has suggested

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?
For those asking about how black boxes are found in the sea, Mike from mikeselectricstuff did a teardown of an older (read: tape) flight data recorder with the sonar locator a while back. Given the circumstances, the intro is a bit insensitive, but it's interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQehX0rVYuY

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

One Eye Open posted:

For those asking about how black boxes are found in the sea, Mike from mikeselectricstuff did a teardown of an older (read: tape) flight data recorder with the sonar locator a while back. Given the circumstances, the intro is a bit insensitive, but it's interesting:

I just want to point out: The UAB (Underwater Acoustic Beacon) he has DOES HAVE a replaceable battery, there is a special tool you have to have to do it with.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I noticed that Tibet was in that infographic. I'm betting that the plane was hijacked by the Dalai Lama, who plans to fly it into the next meeting of the Chinese Politburo. :tinfoil:

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Obviously it landed on the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier. That motherfucker flys all over the world and ATC never seems to notice it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Apparently there's an app for that.

Let's also watch how Inmarsat's statement gets twisted fives ways to Sunday:

http://www.inmarsat.com/news/inmarsat-statement-malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370/

quote:

14 March 2014: Inmarsat has issued the following statement regarding Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.

Routine, automated signals were registered on the Inmarsat network from Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 during its flight from Kuala Lumpur.

This information was provided to our partner SITA, which in turn has shared it with Malaysia Airlines.

For further information, please contact Malaysia Airlines.

"Yeah, we got signals from the flight at some point."

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 14, 2014

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

BobHoward posted:

The SNORT test track at China Lake. Click for a PDF with a couple more pics of tests and some history.

I remember growing up there they used to issue out alerts to parts of the valley when the SNORT tests were going to happen so that people could take their china off the walls and what have you. It would get published in the newspaper. Sonic booms on the ground are like the loudest thing ever.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Guy at work "I'm just saying, why can't they put a lojack like system on a plane like they do with cars?"

:negative:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Guy at work "I'm just saying, why can't they put a lojack like system on a plane like they do with cars?"

:negative:

Just say that they do and thats what stopped working. Simplification but whatever.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

hobbesmaster posted:

Just say that they do and thats what stopped working. Simplification but whatever.

I did. His next response was "Well just use satellites to track it. I mean satellite phones work all the time so..."

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Every time someone asks me what my job is I start with "Well you know what a black box is right?..."

I really need to stop doing that.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

THE RED MENACE posted:

Every time someone asks me what my job is I start with "Well you know what a black box is right?..."

I really need to stop doing that.

Yeah, these days you should think outside the box. :rimshot:

(What do you do?)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

He makes fluorescent orange paint.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
ACMS software for DFDAUs. I've only been doing it for 6 months so sometimes I don't even know what I'm doing!

Unfortunately this means everyone asks me about 370 even though our unit isn't on triple 7s :argh:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Godholio posted:

There were actually E-3s flying that day. Prior to 2010 or so, you could expect at least 5 or 6 training missions per day to fly out of Tinker. Most go to the east coast, because that's where most of the fighters are, thus most of the training. I wasn't in yet, but my squadron had a jet somewhere over there, probably off the Virginia Capes (Giantkiller country), and after the FAA put everything on the ground, they assumed control of much of the eastern seaboard.

Ok, thank you.

I asked because when I had a brief stint looking into truther stuff they were calling youtube/JPG compression artefacts "UFOs" that were observing the WTC attacks, and citing lens flare on the fuselage of the plane as proof of holographic projectors and so on... I was just wondering what they were going for by saying AWACS were 'seen'. Disappointingly mundane answer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

For a good amount of time yesterday the Wikipedia article was saying the flight was landed in Pakistan and then flown into the building in Harlem that blew up yesterday.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Handsome Ralph posted:

I did. His next response was "Well just use satellites to track it. I mean satellite phones work all the time so..."

People think they know technology. They generally actually DON'T

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

For a good amount of time yesterday the Wikipedia article was saying the flight was landed in Pakistan and then flown into the building in Harlem that blew up yesterday.

I'm sorry to everyone else but this'll be my truth going forward.

It's so crazy that it's awesome.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

CommieGIR posted:

People think they know technology. They generally actually DON'T

It's weird, because he's a car guy and he really knows his poo poo there, but with planes/space stuff, he's not nearly as knowledgeable and it can be frustrating as he tries to apply things that might be true to cars to planes and poo poo.

Maybe I'll just start just trolling him by telling him baby oil would work as a motor-oil for my car if I really needed it to.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 14, 2014

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

zoux posted:

Gas leaks just don't blow up buildings that way. Obama stole the plane in Pakistan and made it invisible with secret Government Stealth-, NORAD- and AWACS-technology. Then he blew up Harlem with his invisible plane just like he did with the Pentagon.

Actually that's just silly and what Obama want you to believe.

Fact is that they can't find the plane, because it never existed. It's all an Illuminati cover-up. All the "people" (lizards) that "disappeared" are safe in an US/alien-operated submarine (USO) heading for the Nazi technology center in Antarctica/Inner Earth. Thanks Obama!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sir Cornelius posted:

Gas leaks just don't blow up buildings that way. Obama stole the plane in Pakistan and made it invisible with secret Government Stealth-, NORAD- and AWACS-technology. Then he blew up Harlem with his invisible plane just like he did with the Pentagon.

Actually that's just silly and what Obama want you to believe.

Fact is that they can't find the plane, because it never existed. It's all an Illuminati cover-up. All the "people" (lizards) that "disappeared" are safe in an US/alien-operated submarine (USO) heading for the Nazi technology center in Antarctica/Inner Earth. Thanks Obama!

somehow fit the timecube in there and I'm sold!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Here's a witness account from that US Air thing at Philadelphia (or PHL, in case you don't understand city names spelled out):

quote:

Sitting in the A-West lounge, just watched what I think was a US A319 bounce twice on takeoff from 27L, then have front gear collapse at high speed. Can't see where it stopped but smoke from the west end of 27L. Will update as I see more.

Update 6:28pm, listening to tower in LiveATC.net ... aircraft evacuating, emergency vehicles en route, people walking around near aircraft.

Update 6:30pm - emergency vehicles told to take care due to # of people walking around, probably thinking of the Asiana SFO incident where someone was run over. All PHL departures and arrivals halted airport at "alert 2" status per tower.

Update 6:40pm - no more smoke from the area of where the aircraft likely stopped. I'm still shaking and I was only watching from afar. Will type up my recollection shortly. No pics and can't see where it wound up from the west end of the A-West lounge. Hope everyone's getting out OK, would have been some pretty strong G-forces from what I saw.

Update 6:50pm - tower reports A320 aircraft involved.

Here's what I saw ... at approx 6:26 pm or so, I was in the US Airways Club in Terminal A-West over gate A15, able to see roughly the eastern half of runway 27L. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a plane get 30-50 ft in the air, then come down and bounce on the runway, then be airborne for another 2-3 seconds, then land with more weight towards the front landing gear. Front gear collapsed, sparks on the runway, it then skid out of my line of sight. Light white smoke visible for about 7-10 min afterwards. Winds are still pretty strong here, but I doubt that was the primary cause. Weather otherwise clear and sunny here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-merger/1560217-just-witnessed-us-accident-phl.html

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Everyone knows brick buildings can't burn or explode!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ola posted:

Here's a witness account from that US Air thing at Philadelphia (or PHL, in case you don't understand city names spelled out):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-merger/1560217-just-witnessed-us-accident-phl.html

Dual engine failure should be the only reason to do that, right? If it was a dual bird strike US Air is just cursed.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

slidebite posted:

Everyone knows brick buildings can't burn or explode!

Why don't they build planes out of bricks, then?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

:aaa:

You're on to something!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

One Eye Open posted:

Cool video, love these teardowns.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Godholio posted:

... they assumed control of much of the eastern seaboard.

I know this is horribly wrong, but I have the greatest mental image of an AWACS breaking into ZNY airspace and hailing down GA and jets on guard, vectoring them around and skywriting "WAGNER <3 8=D" or something while center tries to figure out what the gently caress.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Dual engine failure should be the only reason to do that, right? If it was a dual bird strike US Air is just cursed.

Pilot Error. Or debris on the runway/hit a deer.
Or I suppose there could have been a cargo shift.
Actually it was probably the wingtip vortices of the Malasian 777 that nobody saw because of its Pakistani applied stealth coating.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 14, 2014

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Tons of things can cause a bounce. Not doing it right is the most common one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5ZzktAFJK4

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ola posted:

Tons of things can cause a bounce. Not doing it right is the most common one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5ZzktAFJK4

On landing sure. On take off?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Let's also watch how Inmarsat's statement gets twisted fives ways to Sunday:

http://www.inmarsat.com/news/inmarsat-statement-malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370/

"Yeah, we got signals from the flight at some point."

Why would they even release a statement if they ignore the elephant in the room, the timing???

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

smackfu posted:

Why would they even release a statement if they ignore the elephant in the room, the timing???

"Leave us the gently caress alone."

As to why they don't want to address the timing issue, assuming they do have accurate records :shrug:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

On landing sure. On take off?

Holy poo poo. I was so convinced it was on landing, the word "takeoff" just bounced off my retina when I read it. Googling the news, it blew a tire and it was handling the aborted takeoff which caused the upset. Glad all are alive and not beamed up by aliens to feed NSAs meat powered laser on Mars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ola posted:

Holy poo poo. I was so convinced it was on landing, the word "takeoff" just bounced off my retina when I read it. Googling the news, it blew a tire and it was handling the aborted takeoff which caused the upset. Glad all are alive and not beamed up by aliens to feed NSAs meat powered laser on Mars.

An abort after V1 will blow tires so that doesn't mean that it was the cause.