Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Do the Bills actually need a WR? I keep seeing them mocked one but they just drafted Robert Woods and Marquise Goodwin, not to mention Stevie Johnson still kicking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Grittybeard posted:

Well, you could cut your productive player for no obvious reason (who went on to be productive the next year too) and slot in the draft pick there. Or you could quite obviously decide your perfectly acceptable LT is damaged goods and play your draft pick at RT for a year before you get rid of him. Also you could be doing this at #1 overall.

trigger warning

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Do the Bills actually need a WR? I keep seeing them mocked one but they just drafted Robert Woods and Marquise Goodwin, not to mention Stevie Johnson still kicking around.

Think they need TEs more than WRs.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

The Puppy Bowl posted:

We could use a big one, yeah. Then we'd have a potentially nightmarish array of weapons to play around with. Stevie is biggish, but he doesn't really play like it.
I'm just a fan of getting more weapons, honestly.
Defensively, we could use another linebacker, defensive end, or even safety(now that Byrd has left, but they've got two dudes from last year's draft they like and DaNorris Searcy there, so they might just give them a crack at SS and put Aaron Williams at FS).
Offensively, aside from linemen(because, let's be honest, Chris loving Williams doesn't count) and a WR, we could use a TE as well.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
So with Wilfork likely to leave, which DTs available around #29 should I be rooting for before BB inevitably selects some small school nobody that nobody has ever heard of?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Magicpants posted:

So with Wilfork likely to leave, which DTs available around #29 should I be rooting for before BB inevitably selects some small school nobody that nobody has ever heard of?

Louis Nix would be perfect but I doubt he falls that far. DaQuan Jones could probably be had in the 2nd.

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008

Magicpants posted:

Louis Nix could be around, definitely a Wilfork type player. Eats blockers and moves better than someone that big should.

edit: ^^^ beat me to it. as one of those assholes that cheers for ND, I've watched a lot of big lou and I'm really going to miss the guy. He's a big teddy bear of a personality but plays mean as gently caress. He deserves a lot of credit for Manti Teo's success in 2012

Fussy Dutchman fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 14, 2014

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Coldforge posted:

I would not be surprised to see the 49ers make a play for that #5 spot. They could offer quite a few picks in a very deep draft to a team that has several holes to fill.

Who do you think they would want at 5? Watkins would be the only obvious top 10 guy I think makes sense, and even then the WR depth in this draft is so crazy I think they'd be better off holding onto 30 or moving up to 15 or so for Mike Evans for a fraction of the price.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Who do you think they would want at 5? Watkins would be the only obvious top 10 guy I think makes sense, and even then the WR depth in this draft is so crazy I think they'd be better off holding onto 30 or moving up to 15 or so for Mike Evans for a fraction of the price.

Watkins or Evans. I'm not convinced Evans will last that long.

Edit: Fleshing out what I was saying, I think the 49ers' extra picks are slightly more valuable this year than they will be in future years, due to the extra large draft class.

Edit 2: Really, I think if there's one guy the Niners trade up for this year, it'll be Evans, who'll probably go in the top 10.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 14, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Has anything about Teddy's pro day come out? I haven't seen anything

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

Has anything about Teddy's pro day come out? I haven't seen anything

That's not until Monday, IIRC

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bhsman posted:

That's not until Monday, IIRC

Oh well poo poo :lol: I thought it was today for some reason

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Grozz Nuy posted:

gently caress no. If you're trading up its going to be with the Ravens, you still owe us for Boldin. At the very least don't do your dirty deal with the devil in Black and gold. Pittsburgh doesn't need any help to have obscene fortune on draft day.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
Why has the talk about Jake Matthews cooled off so much lately? It seems Robinson has overtaken his spot that was once thought of as "best OL in the draft right now" when the season ended. He pretty seamlessly switched from RT to LT in one season, looked great in pass pro (Granted, not as physically talented as a run blocker but is still definitely good at it) and has lineage. He honestly looks a lot like his dad playing in the college game, and I think he's versatile enough that he doesn't have to be an LT only type guy and can be used to shore up any OL position if you happen to find somebody better at LT/RT wherever.

No, I don't want him first overall that would be kind of dumb of the Texans with this draft, but I think he could have a super positive impact on a team like the Raiders or a lot of other teams that are in the top 10 - 15.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Greg Robinson destroyed the combine and while not as polished as Matthews, Robinson's physical skill set is impressive. Add that to the fact that these things are all affected by the news media's hate of stagnation so prospects that have done nothing wrong like Bridgewater and Matthews will tend to drop for the same reason people had RG3 going first in the 2012 draft in mocks right before draft day.

I think Matthews and Robinson both are better than any tackle drafted last year.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
Bridgewater is going to get hyped up again after his pro day. I still think he's the #1 pick.

Butthead
May 31, 2011
I think the Texans are likely to take a QB with the 1st pick. That said, if O'Brien doesn't like any of the top QB's in this class, why isn't Sammy Watkins being considered for #1?

Andre Johnson is 32 years old so you can't count on him being around too much longer. Hopkins looks good so far, but after him they have no depth. O'Brien's offense at Penn State used 3+ WR sets most of the time. They need more quality WRs for his offense to work in Houston.

Watkins looks like he could be the best player in this draft, and possibly a once every 5 years type of WR. I don't see them passing him up unless they love one of the QBs.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
What is the general opinion on Sammy Watkins as a prospect? He seems good but doesn't impress went put up against Calvin Johnson, A.J. Green, Andre Johnson, or other recent early WR picks.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

The Puppy Bowl posted:

What is the general opinion on Sammy Watkins as a prospect? He seems good but doesn't impress went put up against Calvin Johnson, A.J. Green, Andre Johnson, or other recent early WR picks.

Check out the Ross Tucker football podcast from this past Wednesday. They talk for a long time about wide receivers in the draft. It's real good stuff.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Tucker is very obnoxious but Cosell is knowledgeable. Good looking out.

Butthead
May 31, 2011
I'm no scout, so my opinion isn't worth much at all, but he reminds me of Terrell Owens when he has the ball in his hands. But he's a couple inches shorter than T.O.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That actually seems like a really good comparison. I'm probably just biased against him because Watkins is the one guy who has zero chance of falling to the Ravens.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Starting to doubt Mike Evans dropping to us either. I like some of the WR talent in the 2nd though, especially Allen Robinson. I think his skill set is exactly what we're looking for.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I think Matthews and Robinson both are better than any tackle drafted last year.

Nah, Joeckel is better than both of them. They're both definitely better than Fisher though, unless he starts piecing his skill set together.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles
The way the Raiders have been signing players so far makes me think they're going to go QB with their 1st rounder and WR with their 2nd. In this draft you can essentially grab a #1 WR on top of the 2nd.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I love it when you talk dirty Toymachine

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Toymachine posted:

The way the Raiders have been signing players so far makes me think they're going to go QB with their 1st rounder and WR with their 2nd. In this draft you can essentially grab a #1 WR on top of the 2nd.
The way the Raiders have been signing players so far makes me think they're going to let the clock expire on round 1, cut their round 2 prospect after he fails a physical, and trade their round 3 pick to the Titans for nothing :smuggo:

Butthead
May 31, 2011

pangstrom posted:

The way the Raiders have been signing players so far makes me think they're going to let the clock expire on round 1, cut their round 2 prospect after he fails a physical, and trade their round 3 pick to the Titans for nothing :smuggo:

Just trying to save cap space so they can give Michael Vick a $100 million contract.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Butthead posted:

I think the Texans are likely to take a QB with the 1st pick. That said, if O'Brien doesn't like any of the top QB's in this class, why isn't Sammy Watkins being considered for #1?

Andre Johnson is 32 years old so you can't count on him being around too much longer. Hopkins looks good so far, but after him they have no depth. O'Brien's offense at Penn State used 3+ WR sets most of the time. They need more quality WRs for his offense to work in Houston.

Watkins looks like he could be the best player in this draft, and possibly a once every 5 years type of WR. I don't see them passing him up unless they love one of the QBs.

Is this a joke? Yeah Andre is 32 but he's still a top 5 WR in the league. Hopkins has shown plenty of promise as a #2 who can become the #1 once Andre retires. You're not going to use the #1 overall pick on a WR to become your #3, maybe #2 option, especially when you don't have anyone to throw it to him and especially when a generational prospect like Clowney is there. Maybe if Calvin Johnson was in this draft you'd do it, but he's not

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I can't think of a better receiver for O'Brien's offense than Andre Johnson. Well, except Gordon, Megatron, Fitzgerald, etc. He's the perfect fit.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I can't think of a better receiver for xxxxxx offense than Calvin Johnson. You could put him in the era before the forward pass and he'd somehow be all world

(well because he'd be bigger and stronger and faster than any player on the field, obviously)

Butthead
May 31, 2011

Intruder posted:

Is this a joke? Yeah Andre is 32 but he's still a top 5 WR in the league. Hopkins has shown plenty of promise as a #2 who can become the #1 once Andre retires. You're not going to use the #1 overall pick on a WR to become your #3, maybe #2 option, especially when you don't have anyone to throw it to him and especially when a generational prospect like Clowney is there. Maybe if Calvin Johnson was in this draft you'd do it, but he's not

Not a joke, I just think Watkins looks that good. I'm probably wrong, but I think he could be the next best WR. He doesn't look as good as Calvin Johnson, but I think he could be just as good as Andre Johnson. If you had two WRs you already thought were great, would you pass on Andre Johnson and let your competition draft him just because you thought you were set on that position? I wouldn't, especially if my coach was known to run 3+ WR sets a majority of the time. How would anyone defend that?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Butthead posted:

Not a joke, I just think Watkins looks that good. I'm probably wrong, but I think he could be the next best WR. He doesn't look as good as Calvin Johnson, but I think he could be just as good as Andre Johnson. If you had two WRs you already thought were great, would you pass on Andre Johnson and let your competition draft him just because you thought you were set on that position? I wouldn't, especially if my coach was known to run 3+ WR sets a majority of the time. How would anyone defend that?

The last two Super Bowl winners had relatively average receiving threats. It's fun to dream about pairing elite receivers with each other but it won't matter if they still have a bad qb and terrible defense. Also it's an incredibly deep draft for receivers so they could conceivably draft one at the top of the 2nd and run the vaunted 3WR sets.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Disillusionist posted:

The last two Super Bowl winners had relatively average receiving threats. It's fun to dream about pairing elite receivers with each other but it won't matter if they still have a bad qb and terrible defense. Also it's an incredibly deep draft for receivers so they could conceivably draft one at the top of the 2nd and run the vaunted 3WR sets.

Who knows? Depends if BOB and the coaching staff think Schaub's season was an outlier rather than the norm. They're taking their sweet time shipping him and his contract away and the Texans might give him one more go around in a new offense.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
WR is like the last offensive position the Texans need to be addressing. The QB situation sucks, we need an RB2 or Foster will die, the OL was a complete shitshow outside of Duane Brown, and we just released our TE1.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Luckily this draft is ultra stacked and the Texans can get a great QB, a great OT, and a great/decent TE/HB in the first three rounds. I also would forgive them for taking Clowney or Mack first.

Butthead
May 31, 2011

Toymachine posted:

Who knows? Depends if BOB and the coaching staff think Schaub's season was an outlier rather than the norm. They're taking their sweet time shipping him and his contract away and the Texans might give him one more go around in a new offense.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. The guy had been good in Houston ever since he was traded and had one bad season, in which the fans turned on him early and the coaching staff followed suit. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that he has a Comeback Player of the Year type of season, especially if they add a guy like Sammy Watkins.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Elotana posted:

the OL was a complete shitshow outside of Duane Brown

Right tackle and left guard were a shitshow, but Myers was still one of the best Centers in the league and Brooks is showing potential to be a mauling werebear of a Guard. The fact that both Quessenberry and Williams - the LG and RT replacements, respectively - both had season-ending injuries in the pre-season was a major reason we did so poorly.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Personally I'd like to get Williams and Quessenberry a chance. They both showed a lot of promised leading up to the preseason and unless they have regressed mightily then we need to give them a real look next year.

Brandon Brooks may have graded out as the best guard in the league in run defense. He was flat out dominant in that respect. Which shows that I know absolutely nothing about drafting, because I thought he was going to be a super obvious bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

Butthead posted:

This is exactly what I'm thinking. The guy had been good in Houston ever since he was traded and had one bad season, in which the fans turned on him early and the coaching staff followed suit. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that he has a Comeback Player of the Year type of season, especially if they add a guy like Sammy Watkins.

The coaching staff didn't turn on Schaub. In actuality the coaching staff was fired because they put Schaub on the field in the last part of one or two games. Once Kubiak was fired, there was no more Schaub to be had playing for the Texans.

EDIT: I don't believe that Watkins should go #1 overall with how deep this draft is for WR, and the holes on the Texans roster. It's a luxury pick for a team that really can't afford that kind of stuff.

b0ng fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 14, 2014

• Locked thread