Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sybir
Sep 10, 2004
Uhhh, what?

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Thanks, I didn't know bricklink had a UK section. As for the guy who said yard sales, I forgot to mention I live in the UK :(

Car boot sales, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you have a lego store nearby try their pick a brick section, they usually have a couple good structure building pieces you can get in bulk.

The tubs of random colored bricks that lego sells are good for structures too.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Can't wait till I have a house so I can have plenty of room for all this Lego.

Went to Target today in the off chance they had some minifigs left. They didn't but I did snag this on clearance for 10 bucks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Thanks, I didn't know bricklink had a UK section. As for the guy who said yard sales, I forgot to mention I live in the UK :(

Oh jeez, car boot sales man! They're GREAT for tubs of Lego!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

I've found the opposite to be true. Whenever there's a yard sale advertised on Kijiji, odds are the lot's already been spoken for because someone called the seller days ahead of time.

After the third time I this happened I gave up on yard sales. Hell, the last time a fight almost broke out because the fat lady who had been waiting a full hour was beaten to the punch by some guy that had called ahead four days before the sale.

People know what Lego is worth now. You still luck out on Kijiji/Craigslist from time to time but there's no point showing up at the actual sale. Either call ahead to see if you can get dibs or don't bother.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Pyroclastic posted:

All those different angles, though...

The angles are an interesting challenge. I've finished prototyping half the upper nose section.

How hard can it be, really, to have a plate rise out of a slope angled off at ~18.4 degrees, with an upper edge sloped down at ~10 degrees, meant to meet an upper surface that matches the slope forward, really?

:stare:

I think the amazing part is that there's nothing stressed or barely connected. In fact that's actually a hell of a lot sturdier than it looks.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The Toys R Us I was in today had a full restock of movie line minifigs, and I saw the same situation in a Target a few days ago, so I think the talk about them being gone forever might be a little over-reactionary.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank
Took my 3 kids to legoland california yesterday, they had an absolute blast, lots of neat rides that were good for their ages.

I thought the mini-land USA would be my favorite, but it was pretty lame, they really need it to be indoors, the sun has bleached out so much of the colour, it has made it quite bland.

the best part (other than seeing the kids enjoy themselves so much), was that they had the basement set from the lego movie on display. It was pretty neat to walk around the basement and see the models, the detail that went in is really something.

They had a person talking about the movie while we were looking at it, and they said that Warner Brothers hired some master brickbuilders to build the set, but they didn't tell them what the sets were for, pretty bizarre, it would be neat to hear an interview with one of them.

Red_Chief
Nov 2, 2007

Dogen posted:

It's pretty fun to play with, especially if you have the skiff and the other necessary players to do sarlacc pit. The interior is nothing special, especially with Jabba in it, but I love the detail on the outside of the barge, and the deck is an ok play space although the sails kind of get in the way. I wish there was some kind of way for R2 to hold Luke's light saber, but what can you do? Anyway the set has been on a decent sale on amazon for a while now.

Edit: forgot to mention it rolls on wheels in the base, which always gets me

Edit2: also everyone should by the rancor pit set because it has the minifig which represents all AFOL, the rancor keeper

I got the sail barge for my kid's christmas present (Target had it for $80). It's a pretty fun kit, especially when combined with the skiff/pit kit.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Red_Chief posted:

I got the sail barge for my kid's christmas present (Target had it for $80). It's a pretty fun kit, especially when combined with the skiff/pit kit.

I was sceptical of the Sail Barge but it looks really cool in person and is a great way to display all your RotJ minifigures. Plus I love the Gran alien and the doofy elephant guy.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

The_Doctor posted:

I haven't been to one of those for probably 15 years :unsmith: I guess I should take a look some time though I am not sure how to find a big one!

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
My local K-Mart got its first wave of Lego Movie sets! But they're all sold out of movie minifigs. They've also got like a whole wall of the Monster Hunter stuff that I'm just dying to grab on sale. I don't know how well the sets play, but they sure look cool.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I haven't been to one of those for probably 15 years :unsmith: I guess I should take a look some time though I am not sure how to find a big one!

Where do you live? Local papers usually have them listed. And now the weather is warming up, they'll start being more prevalent.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

rickiep00h posted:

But they didn't. That's the whole point. They planned for a solid showing for the movie and got an unexpected blockbuster. At the same time, they produced a single set from a single license with a limited distribution channel and some minifigs which are part of a series of products with an inconsistent distribution channel. I honestly don't see how you can spin that as planning to fail. You claim that you think they shouldn't "plan for success", but what the hell do you think they could do, given the inflexibility of the film industry and the shitshow that is retail?

A reasonable business would have spaced The Lego Movie and The Simpsons line farther apart. Lego didn't, presumably because even a decade after they almost bankrupted themselves, they still don't know how to capitalize on their own product. How long after kids' movies come out are the toy aisles usually subjected to them? I don't know, but judging by the fact that Planes (now 8 months old) still has a six foot section at my local target, I'm going to say more than three months. As it stands Australia, a not-insignificant Lego market, is going to be seeing the movie 14 days before the Simpsons Lego comes out. And it's not "A one-off set", it's the next series of minifigs, and the next large exclusive set announced with a press release that called this a "partnership", implying that this could be the start of a line. Either way, the minifigures represent Lego's newest "thing" in product right now, and with shelves empty and no more supply of the last line coming in, I'd bet people are going to order tons of the new series. You know, the series with the lukewarm reception on this very site (and Reddit) and an inarguably waning popularity. So a bunch of retailers may well be sitting on potentially immovable stock of a Minigiures line, cooling them to the idea of ordering in quantity when the next line comes out. No way that could backfire, nope.

rickiep00h posted:

On top of that, it's not like a) the Simpsons license it toxic or will perform badly, or b) they even occupy the same space on store shelves outside of the LEGO Store. And if you're all in a tizzy about the movie minifigs being bumped out by the Simpsons minifigs: before your comment, there were several pages of people talking about how historically inconsistent minifig distribution is because it's entirely outside TLG's hands.

I was there for those pages, and they were about how historically minifig series have been found on shelves randomly months after the fact, but that's not true for the new line because most stores are fully sold out of them and say they're not getting more, which is Lego failing to meet a demand for a product associated with this new property they've manufactured. it's Lego failing to monetize.

rickiep00h posted:

The movie is a huge success, and it's generating a ton of interest for the LEGO brand beyond just the movie sets. What else do you want from them?

I want a company that manufactures a toy line that I enjoy to stop behaving in a way that will get it bankrupted. Again. I want said company to effectively monetize the largest single investment they've ever as a company made. Doesn't seem like a lot to ask.

InfinEight posted:

He wants to see Lego Movie sets and merchandise clogging store isles for months all the way up until the end of 2015 when everyone will be so utterly sick of it that stores across the country will clearance all of it and let him obtain every set for pennies on the dollar.

Asking for more than three months between the release of the series and Lego's Next Big Thing isn't "all the way until the end of 2015". If you're not going to contribute, don't be a loving shithead about it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Is this guy for real?

So it looks like the Sandcrawler cuusoo campaign must have had an impact, what's the bet that big UCS sets will continue being submitted even though they'll never be officially picked. Glad they listened to people though, looks like a sweet set!

e: business!

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 14, 2014

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

You're never going to see Movie sets on clearance, and that is a good thing for Lego.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 14, 2014

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Handsome Ralph posted:

Can't wait till I have a house so I can have plenty of room for all this Lego.

Went to Target today in the off chance they had some minifigs left. They didn't but I did snag this on clearance for 10 bucks.

Man, all the Targets here still have all the City stuff people have been picking up on clearance at full price.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I don't really see why they would put that stuff on clearance anyway. Does the average buyer care that it is a 2013 set instead of a 2014 one?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would guess they're just clearing shelf space for upcoming sets and they know some dude in a pair of cum stained jorts will rush on over to get $5 off.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Following several years of amazing growth and record profits Lego releases an extremely profitable movie that sells through its tie-in merchandise inventory in record time. Welp, see you guys after the bankruptcy proceedings :smith:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

The_Doctor posted:

Where do you live? Local papers usually have them listed. And now the weather is warming up, they'll start being more prevalent.

Medway in Kent - I'm sure we must have some, we have LOADS of old people. I'll take a look in the local news!

Also, I'm going to need a god drat walkthroughs for a minifig. How the hell does Where Are My Pants guy hold his pants?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Medway in Kent - I'm sure we must have some, we have LOADS of old people. I'll take a look in the local news!

Also, I'm going to need a god drat walkthroughs for a minifig. How the hell does Where Are My Pants guy hold his pants?

You have to hide his pants somewhere. The series premise depends on it!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I make him hold them by the cuff.

FadingChord posted:

You have to hide his pants somewhere. The series premise depends on it!

Found your pants, series over

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

EvilJoven posted:

I've found the opposite to be true. Whenever there's a yard sale advertised on Kijiji, odds are the lot's already been spoken for because someone called the seller days ahead of time.

After the third time I this happened I gave up on yard sales. Hell, the last time a fight almost broke out because the fat lady who had been waiting a full hour was beaten to the punch by some guy that had called ahead four days before the sale.

People know what Lego is worth now. You still luck out on Kijiji/Craigslist from time to time but there's no point showing up at the actual sale. Either call ahead to see if you can get dibs or don't bother.

Some people know what Lego is worth. Honestly if they list a specific item in the sale ad, it will likely be gone when you get there. But if you just hit a few random sales that say "LOTS OF KIDS TOYS!!!!11!!!1!" There is a reasonable chance that you will come across some Lego. I've seen lots of people that think they can get top tier eBay prices for stuff at yard sales, but there are still some folks who just don't know or don't care what stuff is worth. I got 8 Harry potter Lego sets with directions from one sale for under $100. The kid was thrilled and I was thrilled, win-win.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

xzzy posted:

I would guess they're just clearing shelf space for upcoming sets and they know some dude in a pair of cum stained jorts will rush on over to get $5 off.

Excuse me sir, the correct term is "350 pounds of greasy ponytail and meme shirts".

ElwoodCuse posted:

Man, all the Targets here still have all the City stuff people have been picking up on clearance at full price.

I was surprised to even see it to be honest. I've seen maybe one Lego set on clearance at Target before, and it wasn't even on sale for that much. I just got lucky as I had to go buy some other things, thought I'd see if they had any minifigs and they had this as a nice consolation prize.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Tying in nicely to this debate but Morrison's in the UK have all the movie sets discounted today for clearance. I just got Cloud Cookoo Land for £10 and the Ice Cream van, Recylcle truck and Bad Cop Pursuit for £15 each. They also have the Supercycle chase which I already have for £30.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

PriorMarcus posted:

Tying in nicely to this debate but Morrison's in the UK have all the movie sets discounted today for clearance. I just got Cloud Cookoo Land for £10 and the Ice Cream van, Recylcle truck and Bad Cop Pursuit for £15 each. They also have the Supercycle chase which I already have for £30.

Seems like Cloud Cuckooland has been sold out everywhere I go. I've looked at a couple of different stores and they've had most of the other sets just not that one. When I checked at the Lego store there was a kid who realized I was looking for it and he was just as bummed out that they didn't have it.

I've been picking through my childhood Lego and I really wish I had kept the sets separate because it's a nightmare trying to sort them out. Doesn't help that my younger sister methodically pulled all the minifig hands off and lost them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cloks posted:

Doesn't help that my younger sister methodically pulled all the minifig hands off and lost them.

Based on the prices bricklink sellers set on hands, she's probably getting a kickback from them.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

PriorMarcus posted:

Are you really going to make me go all the way to Morrisons straight after work on a Friday? REALLY :mad:

Thanks for the heads up! Ill post a trip report and then get mad when they don't have any or it's not discounted.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

There is only one Simpsons set and you can't even buy it in a non-branded retail store. Jesus loving Christ dude.

TLG is valued in the $15 billion range. The movie had a budget of $60 million, most of which wasn't even their money. Even if it were, that's .4 percent of their total worth. I think in a company that makes several of its own licensed animated movies (Star Wars and Super Heroes both), a number of its own TV shows, video games up the rear end, and let's not forget their actual main-line product, they can afford to put out one loving set whenever they feel like.

Lizard Combatant is right. There's no way you can be for real.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Between Plastik and Tiny Brontosaurus the last week has been super weird in the Lego thread.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Are you really going to make me go all the way to Morrisons straight after work on a Friday? REALLY :mad:

Thanks for the heads up! Ill post a trip report and then get mad when they don't have any or it's not discounted.

My store had quite a few sets left except for Cloud Cookoo; I got the last one of those. Good luck mate. Let us know how you get on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Rage posted:

Between Plastik and Tiny Brontosaurus the last week has been super weird in the Lego thread.

So we should be good on flamewars until Benny's ship is for sale and someone posts they bought 30 of them.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

So we should be good on flamewars until Benny's ship is for sale and someone posts they bought 30 of them.

to be fair, I would do this so I could have a fleet of them hanging above my desk at work :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm probably going to buy a couple, but I'm an enormous classic space sperg. I really want multiple copies of that canopy.

Plus a set full of blue and grey is a gold mine of parts for new ships.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

xzzy posted:

Probably some kid buys them all to sell after its discontinuedso us man-children can't have our Spaceship Spaceship SPACESHIP!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
People in this thread shouldn't read anything on the Brickpicker forums unless they want their heads to explode with rage then, I guess!

RodShaft posted:

Probably some kid buys them all to sell after its discontinuedso us man-children can't have our Spaceship Spaceship SPACESHIP!

Oh man, I totally wish I could see some 9 year old being a complete Lego investor winner by using his allowance to grow a giant portfolio of cashing in on manchildren. Instead it's like 64 year old early retirees who never have played with Lego and constantly laugh at the manchildren.

I'd honestly prefer it being a 9 year old laughing at manchildren instead of some baby boomer fuckhead.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 14, 2014

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

PriorMarcus posted:

My store had quite a few sets left except for Cloud Cookoo; I got the last one of those. Good luck mate. Let us know how you get on.

All they had was a couple of city kits and some overpriced chima bits. They didn't stock any lego movie stuff, not even minifigs.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

xzzy posted:

I'm probably going to buy a couple, but I'm an enormous classic space sperg. I really want multiple copies of that canopy.

Plus a set full of blue and grey is a gold mine of parts for new ships.

I love everything about the ship and I have to have it. It will be one of the rare sets I buy more than one of that is for sure. The trans-yellow x-wing canopy is great and like you said filled with blue and grey.

I am glad I ordered the Mars Rover when it came out because it now seems it is backordered for the past 2 months. I don't know if that was speculators or the popularity/price point or amount of sets they made but who would of guessed a $35 NASA rover would sell out within weeks of being released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Same problem with BttF as well. Maybe they don't make a lot of CUUSOO sets.