Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
This is still better than the theory talk in the True Detective thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Edit: Wrong thread.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
I can't decide if this thread is full of trolls, god-wads, or retards.

My 9 year old got way more in to the first episode of this one than she did the Sagan. If the purpose of this show is to help inspire awe and appreciation for the sciences and the cosmos then I think it's doing a fine job so far.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Na'at posted:

Goons.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Na'at posted:

My 9 year old got way more in to the first episode of this one than she did the Sagan. If the purpose of this show is to help inspire awe and appreciation for the sciences and the cosmos then I think it's doing a fine job so far.

How many papers has your daughter published?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Its gonna be hilarious in 300 years when historians talk about how hitler was not all the bad because he ushered in the nuclear age.

If you accept the premise that the jews are a filthy subhuman race bent on ruling the world, it was entirely logical.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Trig Discipline posted:

If you accept the premise that the jews are a filthy subhuman race bent on ruling the world, it was entirely logical.

Isn't that the same premise you have to accept for the "The Inquisition was actually a great thing" theory?

Robotnik Nudes posted:

How many papers has your daughter published?

:golfclap:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Isn't that the same premise you have to accept for the "The Inquisition was actually a great thing" theory?

There were different Inquisitions!

And if history has taught us nothing else, it's taught us that no matter where you go in history it is socially acceptable to hate the Jews.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's really just their fault, though, for not conforming to the strict social organization the kindly church insisted on for the good of everyone. They were really asking for it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah, it's funny how often that premise comes up.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Trig Discipline posted:

Conversely, it's a loving excellent time to leave the USA if you're an early career scientist.

Oh hey, more detail on this? I don't count since I do NDT, but still curious about your statement.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Paradox Personified posted:

Oh hey, more detail on this? I don't count since I do NDT, but still curious about your statement.

Grant funding rates in the USA are abysmal, both funding rates and salaries are better elsewhere. I talked a bit more about it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3576608&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=16#post426878796

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Ah poo poo I was just catching up with the thread, already answered.

Can't wait for the next episode, honestly. I'm in love. No complaints here.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
America used to lead the world in science and technology. Maybe it still does, but not by anywhere near the comfortable margin it used to have. Fundamentally, I think a lot of Americans have the attitude that being the world leader in sci/tech was just a natural result of being God's Chosen Country, but it isn't - the USA was out in front because they paid for it, with good old cash money. They don't realize that if you stop paying for innovation, it stops happening. The USA still has many of the best universities in the world, so it will take a while for the effects to really be felt, but the academic culture has already changed since I started grad school in 2003. It used to be that top American early career scientists almost never went overseas; it was seen almost as an acknowledgement of defeat. Now, more and more are going overseas because the grass is actually greener over there, and the stigma attached to that has all but disappeared. My own example: far from being out of options, I turned down a very competitive postdoc at Berkeley to come to Australia. My grad advisor, who is one of the most blunt and no-bullshit people I have ever known (and would have said "don't be a loving idiot" if he thought it was a bad idea), was entirely in favor of that choice. The academic job market is increasingly global, and for those of us who are willing to be mobile at that geographic scale, the USA doesn't look anywhere near as appealing as it used to.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 14, 2014

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

(Also this is the best show ever to watch while high)

:catdrugs:

But yeah, this. After being in straight up awe at the visual effects the first time through, me and my room mates partook in some recreational medication and watched it again. MIND BLOWN. Also? Jupiters giant storm and clouds looked so fluffy.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Boogaleeboo posted:

There was a period where 3 separate Inquisitions existed. The Roman Inquisition, which is the actual church Inquisition, and the Portuguese and Spanish Inquisitions, run by the respective monarchies of their countries and not the church. The Roman Inquisition generally investigated for heresy and didn't kill all that many people compared to trials it had. The reason Bruno came up on Cosmo is he's pretty much the only person with a vaguely science background you *could* show being burned, because none of the others that got tried were killed. Roman Inquisition not really about killing scientists. Not even remotely, not slightly. The Portuguese and Spanish Inquisitions? Generally killed Jews. Really, really a lot of Jews. For the crimes of being Jewish and annoying folks with their Jewosity. Killed a whoooole bunch of Jews.

Your Hobbesian dystopic view of history has been commented on by others, but this is what really bothered me. The Spanish Inquisition was interested in Conversos. That's also what made it so hosed up. The notion of racial Judaism, particularly in Andalusia, would come later. But you can trace its origins back to the Spanish Inquisition because people who had converted where deemed "Secret Muslims/Jews". This is a racist narrative, which you'll note continues to this very day. The Spanish Inquisition is also curious because it also targeted Jews. Pogroms were fairly common in Europe, but when it came to heresies other religions are left out. A Jew isn't a heretic, he's non-Christian. There is a rather critical difference. So you have a purge or recent converts and a pogrom at the same time. That's some hosed up poo poo. And also entirely unlike the Inquisition. The Dominicans (an order created to fight the Cathars, as others have mentioned) were actually pretty decent. On the milder side of the legal norms of the time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I like space and planets and black holes and kooky space-time astrophysics stuff. What else should I be watching?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

I like space and planets and black holes and kooky space-time astrophysics stuff. What else should I be watching?

Star Trek: TNG/DS9.

Stephen Hawking's Universe.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1655078/

Wonders of the Solar System
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1611787/

How The Universe Works
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1832668/

Drifter fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 14, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Yun posted:

The sky. :rimshot:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Everyone should watch Disney's "The Black Hole". It's not really scientific or anything, but gently caress you, if you like space and spaceships and good, creepy sci-fi, it's fantastic and was the first thing I saw as a kid that really fascinated me with black holes.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

That movie traumatized the poo poo out of me as a kid. God it was scary to a six year old.

Holy crap they're going to remake it.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Steve Yun posted:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sky-guide-view-stars-night/id576588894?mt=8

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Updated ratings for the first episode:

quote:

Across the 10 Fox-owned US networks, led by FBC, the science program drew 8.5 million total viewers and a 2.9 in adults 18-49.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

I'm not a TV expert but that seems pretty good considering the tough competition in that timeslot.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, Resurrection got a 3.2 share, so that's not nothing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Steve Yun posted:

BBC Space https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3N-TCllte4

Hosted by Sam Neill :swoon:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I think this is really good, and have heard people excited about the series here in the office, so I'm hopeful for a growing popularity.

And yes I know the using anecdotes as data about a show about science is ironic.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Oracle posted:

That movie traumatized the poo poo out of me as a kid. God it was scary to a six year old.

Holy crap they're going to remake it.

This is a movie that could make for a fun remake...but the original is just SO loving good, I'm hesitant.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

Same here!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My only lasting thought about The Black Hole is simply "That robot killed the gently caress out of that guy."

kant
May 12, 2003
I thought the first episode was really good. The timeline was great and NDT talking about Sagan at the end was touching. The history/Bruno thing was a bit long but I think it's good to remind everyone what society used to be like and how important things like freedom of speech are. I especially found it refreshing that the church can be involved in a story without having to hear dozens of excuses for all their bad actions. That gives me hope that the Evolution discussion won't try and sugar coat anything for the masses.

However, I can't decide what I'm looking forward to the most. The next episode OR the entertaining posts in this thread that will soon follow!

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

kant posted:

However, I can't decide what I'm looking forward to the most. The next episode OR the entertaining posts in this thread that will soon follow!

I'm hoping that we spent the week evolving into better posters and won't poo poo up the thread after tonight's episode.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

smg77 posted:

I'm hoping that we spent the week evolving into better posters and won't poo poo up the thread after tonight's episode.

I see you're new to TVIV

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Here is the synopsis of today's episode:

Ann Druyan posted:

Life is transformation. Artificial selection turned the wolf into the shepherd and all the other canine breeds we love today. And over the eons, natural selection can sculpt the exquisitely complex human eye out of a microscopic patch of pigment. The Ship of the Imagination is on a voyage of exploration of the relatedness of all life on Earth and the possible evolution of life in the cosmic context. Neil takes us on our first visit to the grand Hall of Extinction, a monument to all the broken branches on the tree of life.

A volcanic eruption larger than all of Western Europe and lasting hundreds of thousands of years initiated The Great Dying of the Permian mass extinction event, when life on this world came closest to being extinguished. A scale change on the Cosmic Calendar to retrace the story of the survivors of these mass extinctions, including the unbroken thread that stretches from the first one-celled organisms of nearly four billion years ago directly to you.

So what are we going to be whining about this time? Not enough space stuff? Too antagonistic to the creationists?

kant
May 12, 2003

mikemil828 posted:

Here is the synopsis of today's episode:

So what are we going to be whining about this time? Not enough space stuff? Too antagonistic to the creationists?

I want to see complaints about NDT avoiding discussion about micro vs macro evolution or why there are no transitional fossils. Also, at least a few people need to call his credentials into question. He clearly isn't qualified to talk about natural selection because he hasn't published 500 papers on advanced evolutionary theory.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Anyone have a way to watch this legally on the internet? I don't have a TV.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dirty Job posted:

Anyone have a way to watch this legally on the internet? I don't have a TV.

It looks like you can watch the old episodes here:

http://www.fox.com/watch/183733315515

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Hope they talk about extremophiles tonight.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Motherfucking evolution!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Tonight: dogs.

Also evolution and all that

• Locked thread