Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choronzons son
Mar 1, 2011
We can tell our grandchildren that we've been there at the beginning as we wait together with them for the final update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Choronzons son posted:

We can tell our grandchildren that we've been there at the beginning as we wait together with them for the final update.

And they'll call me a scrub and a liar when they see I didn't post until page 2 :sigh:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Vorgen posted:

Well I didn't know so many people felt strongly about starting a new thread. I guess you're worried I'm going to croak, on the Internet or in real life. But there's one huge argument against starting a new thread and letting this one fall to the archives - I don't have archives access and I don't want to lose access to my own thread.

I don't feel strongly about starting a new thread, Vorgen, I feel strongly about preserving a tiny piece of gaming history - I am gobsmacked that you have gotten this far and I don't want it to be lost. The other people make valid points, and if there is another way to preserve this thread in the event of its "death", then I'm all for it and I have no personal quibble with it continuing indefinitely. However, the odds are against it and you shouldn't tempt fate. I have literally seen LPs end due to hard drive death, imprisonment of the LPer, and death of the LPer... no, I am not joking even a little.

All I am saying is that don't put all of your eggs in one basket (forum) and take precautions.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

JustJeff88 posted:

All I am saying is that don't put all of your eggs in one basket (forum) and take precautions.

Is there something I'm missing?

As I understand it, if Vorgen starts a new thread, this thread will fall into the archives, and, possibly, eventually have its core posts extracted for lparchive.org by Baldurk. In the mean time, the new thread will stay in the main LP forum. If Vorgen disappears for any reason, then after a little while, the new thread will also fall into the archives.

On the other hand, if Vorgen does not start a new thread, this thread will stay in the main LP forum. If Vorgen disappears for any reason, then again, after a little while, this thread will fall into the archives and, if Baldurk so fancied, the BG1 part could have its core posts extracted for lparchive.org.

Either way, everything will end up in the archive (because Vorgen either finished or vanished), some stuff may or may not end up copied to lparchive, and if somethingawful goes down, we're all SOL. The only difference that I can see is that if Vorgen vanishes, the chances of the BG1 section being summarized to lparchive.org are somewhat smaller.

Or am I confused?

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
I say don't be afraid to keep the thread going. It's the Big World Project -- there's no getting off this ride now.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Vorgen posted:

Well I didn't know so many people felt strongly about starting a new thread. I guess you're worried I'm going to croak, on the Internet or in real life. But there's one huge argument against starting a new thread and letting this one fall to the archives - I don't have archives access and I don't want to lose access to my own thread.

I...
Thought we were arguing for putting all of BG1 in the LP archive, not to let this thread die off.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Vorgen, when we finish BG1 you should just talk to the lparchive.org guy about archiving BG1 while the LP is ongoing into BG2 in this thread.

edit:

JustJeff88 posted:

imprisonment of the LPer, and death of the LPer... no, I am not joking even a little.
Wow, what LPs were these?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

shovelbum posted:

Vorgen, when we finish BG1 you should just talk to the lparchive.org guy about archiving BG1 while the LP is ongoing into BG2 in this thread.

edit:

Don't know about the dead one, but I'm pretty sure the imprisoned one is Leavemywife, who I think hit someone with a car? Not on purpose of course. I think he was doing a FFIV LP.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

shovelbum posted:

edit:

This is what I meant. I absolutely have no desire to end the thread, just preserve it just in case. This is a very sensible backup to do, and it would allow someone who is so inclined, LP follower or not, to enjoy this insanity from start to finish... of BG1 at least. Granted, a thread this huge could take a few weeks to catch up on, but that's neither here nor there. It's just good sense.

As for the LPs, a really good Pool of Radiance series one died due to a fatal hard drive loss...

Roobanguy posted:

Don't know about the dead one, but I'm pretty sure the imprisoned one is Leavemywife, who I think hit someone with a car? Not on purpose of course. I think he was doing a FFIV LP.

... and you correct on this one. As for the dead LPer, I honestly don't remember. I honestly think that I blocked it out mentally due to trauma. I do not believe that it was on SA, though, and I think that it was a Spiderweb game.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
it's already got a "backup" at shs forums.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Choronzons son posted:

I can't wait to see whatever kills Sarevok.

Will he die by squirrel? Or by a cow falling on his head?

What's your guess, fellow voices?
I so hope it's Death By Cow :allears:

The Weave is with Syvishtar!

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Part of me hopes he drops in the first few moments under a hail of arrow fire. Purely because the image of Hedgehog Sarevok makes me giggle a little bit.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

BwenGun posted:

Part of me hopes he drops in the first few moments under a hail of arrow fire. Purely because the image of Hedgehog Sarevok makes me giggle a little bit.

Well, when you think of the beginning cutscenes of BG2 it is canon.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

man, i was planning to do a lot with this thing this weekend, but then I had to go and get the flu. Sorry guys, but soon!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Syvishtar: Save vs Disease: 4

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

It's difficult to control the weave when your Wizard's Sleeve is caked with snot.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

I dunno wizard snot is probably a pretty good spell component. :v:

Get well soon Vorgen!

Choronzons son
Mar 1, 2011
Polymorph -> slime
Spell component: 7 packets of used tissues

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Welp, I have read a page or so of this thread every night or so before bed for maybe 2 months. It is the first LP I have ever read and thus far has been pretty amazing. I just discovered the BG games right before the EEs came out and have been playing them non-stop ever sense.

Thanks so much for this undertaking and I can't wait to see the royal rumble.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

...That cold didn't KILL vorgen, did it?

Choronzons son
Mar 1, 2011
Dire Colds can be brutal.
Vampiric colds... better have some Aspirin +1.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Someone send him Boots of the North to boost his Cold Resist!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Choronzons son posted:

I can't wait to see whatever kills Sarevok.

Will he die by squirrel? Or by a cow falling on his head?

What's your guess, fellow voices?

The Weave turns all of Sarevok's gold to dust and he kills himself out of sheer despair.

By the way Vorgen I've not posted in forever but this remains one of my all-time favorite LPs. :allears:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Oh, wonderful. I caught back up with this thread just in time. And the final party is more or less exactly who I would have voted for too!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Oh, Vorgen, where art thou?

Seriously, someone go poke him with a stick.

A NORMAL stick.

Wouldn't want to exacerbate things.

Boscrossos
Apr 23, 2010

Blasphemaster posted:

A NORMAL stick.

I don't think it's even possible to find normal stuff at this point anymore. Any stick you pick up is going to be at least +2, with a +1 STR, DEX and CON boost, and +5 spells for all levels. Oh, and it kills dragons 10% of the time.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Sorry guys, I've just been busy. I hate to make excuses, though. I have half an update finished, mostly equipping the entire Golden Company. I'll have something to post soon.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Boscrossos posted:

I don't think it's even possible to find normal stuff at this point anymore. Any stick you pick up is going to be at least +2, with a +1 STR, DEX and CON boost, and +5 spells for all levels. Oh, and it kills dragons 10% of the time.

Forgotten Realms Box Set posted:

If the PCs run low on resources, you can have Elminster pass by with his dog. He is waving a stick at it, shouting 'Heel!' trying to get it to walk next to him. However, the stick is a wand of healing, so he'll heal the party in the process. Then he goes away.

Yep.

Choronzons son
Mar 1, 2011
I tried to think of the lamest possible way I could imagine to help needy PCs and I wasn't even close.

Power through, Vorgen! Playing dress-up with 50 people and 50.000 items must be incredibly annoying, but a fresh start at madness is so close.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

We're reaching the end!

It's almost time!

Vorgen posted:

Ahahahahaha, I was testing something and started a new Shadows of Amn game, going through a ton of cutscenes. When I finally got control of my character and started wandering around Irenicus' dungeon, I discovered something horrible.

My friends, we're going to have to go into :siren: CODE RED FURRY ALERT :siren: when we get there. Irenicus really is a disgusting bastard.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

We're reaching the end!

It's almost time!

If that is true, I IMMEDIATELY vote to off the god drat furry. With EXCESIVE prejudice.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Mister Adequate posted:

We're reaching the end!

It's almost time!

hahahaha i've been waiting for this day.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

If that is true, I IMMEDIATELY vote to off the god drat furry. With EXCESIVE prejudice.
No you fool, vote for whatever it is. Whatever the initial reaction is, it will result in an immediate and overwhelming backlash, so you better grit your teeth and pretend to like it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm guessing BG2 has a lot less mod content for original characters compared to BG1. So really, it would behoove us to leave behind Minsc and Jaheira for the full effect of the Saerileths and furries of the world. :getin:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kajeesus posted:

I'm guessing BG2 has a lot less mod content for original characters compared to BG1.

You would think that, wouldn't you? Well... you might want to buckle in.

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009
This beautiful thread will go on for 5-6 years at this rate. Love it. Best breakfast starts are discovering a new update.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
BGII has an exponentially larger mod community than BGI.

By the time Vorgen's gone through it all, we'll have moon colonies.

Please let us have moon colonies.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Shei-kun posted:

BGII has an exponentially larger mod community than BGI.

By the time Vorgen's gone through it all, we'll have moon colonies.

Please let us have moon colonies.

We'll have belters.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

We'll have personal WORKING jetpacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Siegkrow posted:

We'll have personal WORKING jetpacks.

Gravity manipulators that we are BORN with.

• Locked thread