Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasmal
Jun 6, 2001

BabyRyoga posted:

The core of the argument is that in a game where the mid role has the most effect on the outcome of the early game in almost any situation, that role should have even more effectiveness when playing at a level lower than one's own skill.

Maybe we could hear some arguments as to how this is not the case, instead of saying it supports bad mentality or faulty logic.

Even if we assume that mid always has the most effect on the outcome of the early game, what evidence do you have that the most efficient way for you to take advantage of this by calling mid (and playing one of the heroes that I've already pointed out all have significantly below 50% win rates) instead of taking heroes like Crystal Maiden and Venomancer and a smoke and always making at least one gank on the enemy mid every game? Or taking offlane Mirana and spending all your free time fishing for arrows on the enemy mid? Why is it that these Snowball heroes with a huge amount of impact (ex. Storm Spirit, Templar Assassin, Invoker) have significantly lower win rates than Crystal Maiden, Venomancer, and Mirana in every bracket of pub play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Phantasmal posted:

Even if we assume that mid always has the most effect on the outcome of the early game, what evidence do you have that the most efficient way for you to take advantage of this by calling mid (and playing one of the heroes that I've already pointed out all have significantly below 50% win rates) instead of taking heroes like Crystal Maiden and Venomancer and a smoke and always making at least one gank on the enemy mid every game? Or taking offlane Mirana and spending all your free time fishing for arrows on the enemy mid? Why is it that these Snowball heroes with a huge amount of impact (ex. Storm Spirit, Templar Assassin, Invoker) have significantly lower win rates than Crystal Maiden, Venomancer, and Mirana in every bracket of pub play?

Well, we have to assume that mid competency is a given for this to work, of course. The win rates of other players on specific types of hero are independent of any type of game, they don't mean anything specific to this argument unless every single game of Dota 2 played is one where someone tried to take a snowball hero mid for the soul purpose of raising MMR and died to any combo of Veno/CM/Mirana. This is not a case for figuring out which heroes are the most effective at winning the game, because all 3 of those heroes are in the current meta game of generally higher value than a Puck, or Invoker, or OD, or TA, or QoP in a draft. It's a case for figuring out what the most effective play style is in an environment where out of 5 player controlled heroes, you could be thust in a situation where none of your actions, be them abilities you've used on your hero or things you have said on voice/typed in chat, have any influence on the other 4.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

It's a case for figuring out what the most effective play style is in an environment where out of 5 player controlled heroes, you could be thust in a situation where none of your actions, be them abilities you've used on your hero or things you have said on voice/typed in chat, have any influence on the other 4.

So a case that has no bearing on actual Dota, cool, thanks

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Phantasmal posted:

Why is it that these Snowball heroes with a huge amount of impact (ex. Storm Spirit, Templar Assassin, Invoker) have significantly lower win rates than Crystal Maiden, Venomancer, and Mirana in every bracket of pub play?
Probably because they are harder and/or worse heroes. I'm not arguing the support/mid/whatever thing, but CM and Veno are both really easy and really strong. SS/TA/Invoker are all decently difficult to play well.

Phantasmal
Jun 6, 2001

BabyRyoga posted:

Well, we have to assume that mid competency is a given for this to work, of course.

The problem is that competency is a relative thing. In the Juice experience he explicitly engineered a scenario where he had a huge competency advantage over his opponents. If you're not Juice you're either a middling player who's probably not the Storm Spirit savant that can easily overcome his miserable Normal/High win rate, or you're actually in a high enough bracket where you should be able to trust your teammates to execute basic CC kill combos. But most of the people who complain about needing to carry every game are people from the first group laboring under the delusion that they really belong in the second group, and the last thing the game needs is more stuff encouraging them to insta-lock Storm Spirit.

And why do we even believe that mid has the earliest impact? A smart Venomancer pick can feasibly win two lanes before Storm Spirit even hits 6, and Storm Spirit isn't even an amazing, kill creating laner before he gets his ult, so if we're assuming competent play from someone < 4k against other < 4k people I'm way more confident in the Venomancer impacting the early game than the Storm Spirit. The chance Storm Spirit might have a not-easy mid matchup that he can't outskill is more likely than the chance that Venomancer won't have a vulnerable gank or attrition target in any of the three lanes.

Elysiume posted:

Probably because they are harder and/or worse heroes. I'm not arguing the support/mid/whatever thing, but CM and Veno are both really easy and really strong. SS/TA/Invoker are all decently difficult to play well.

This is a large part of what's behind it, so why the hell would you treat some of the hardest, most inflexible heroes as the secret to maxing your MMR? I'm all in favor of people actually investing time in SS/TA/Invoker because pushing yourself to learn more difficult heroes makes you better at the game, but to present it as the short cut to MMR success is just absurd.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Just had a pretty good Huskar game, so good I got the enemy team to quit by 11 minutes into the game.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Just had a pretty good Huskar game, so good I got the enemy team to quit by 11 minutes into the game.

Congrats, you won a game of dota

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Tbh some of us (Pick) use this website more than others and I feel that I am unfairly subsidizing picks posting. Unless some kind of fee by post usage is enabled were basically instituting a forced welfare state of posting.
Whats the point of having a high mmr?

I remember at a certain point (before ranked) I didn't even like playing because everybody was obsessed with getting better/playing better players. I queued up against some pretty good people too, like Aliastar, Fear, I think Aui was on my team twice.

Like I can see if you want to play against or with pros, that makes sense. But other than that its not worth the grief and poo poo you get from everyone else.

Four* examples I could dig up

http://dotabuff.com/matches/159432818
http://dotabuff.com/matches/257246077
http://dotabuff.com/matches/208515287
http://dotabuff.com/matches/254190124

Also all the pro players were ridiculously good and typically stomped the other team. All you get when you go up in MMR is more heartache. Its fun to play at whatever level you're at and not looking at it as a cut-throat competition to skill-shame the opposing players.

Dr. Snuggles fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 15, 2014

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Well, when you play with better players you get to play with better players and it helps you learn how to play better. The goal of most people is to have fun at a video game. Some people just like to stomp (smurfs/Bot players). Some people just like competition and want to get better and play harder competition. These last are the people who want a higher MMR.

But ummm, congrats on posting dotabuffs from a year ago where you played with pros, you're super good at Dota.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.

Dr. Fetus posted:

http://dotabuff.com/matches/562680350

How did we even lose this game? Their team was completely terrible, they had terrible items builds, Huskar kept feeding us in the beginning, and we somehow still lost this. Bane and Lion both bought Divine Rapiers for some reason, and we managed to snatch one of them off Bane, but Lion took it back later. They didn't even help them a lot since it was their spells we really had to watch out for, not their auto attacks. I don't even know how we even lost such a stupid game. I thought we had this, but ugh.

You allowed Sniper to get very fat.

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Tbh some of us (Pick) use this website more than others and I feel that I am unfairly subsidizing picks posting. Unless some kind of fee by post usage is enabled were basically instituting a forced welfare state of posting.
Just saying that getting better =! more fun. It's just more of a chance to gently caress up and have everyone yell at you. Reaching MMR benchmarks just means you get to do less fun stuff.

More stress, more expectations, more enjoyment?

Not for me anyways.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I don't play ranked because I like having all of the good game modes in the rotation and there is little appeal in watching a number go up/down for me.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I enjoy competitive play and the fight to raise my party and solo MMR by 400 points has been personally rewarding as I have made tangible improvements to my micro, game awareness/map awareness, and general combat positioning. I'm continuing to trend slowly upward and it's fun to see a number that represents that progress.

Some people like competitive play and want to get better at games and play them at their limit. Some people want to just goof around and try to be wacky. Both are fine, but one isn't intrinsically better than the other.

And then there are scrubs who want to play wacky but be told they're competitive, and they all think they're in ELO hell as a result. These people should be mocked.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Aferisan posted:

Just saying that getting better =! more fun. It's just more of a chance to gently caress up and have everyone yell at you. Reaching MMR benchmarks just means you get to do less fun stuff.

More stress, more expectations, more enjoyment?

Not for me anyways.

There is a reason like 90% of BW games were 6v1 compstomp BGH. There are some people though who actually like a challenge when playing games.

Bonfiesta
Sep 4, 2012
Dota does get a lot less fun the higher up you are in the MMR brackets, where you have to contend with 5 players of a similar, or significantly higher skill level, while being basically forbidden from experimenting with different heroes and builds. That said, there are... certain ways around this. Queuing with lower level goons for instance. :pseudo:

(or any goons for that matter)

Dr. Snuggles
Dec 3, 2012

Firebatgyro posted:

There is a reason like 90% of BW games were 6v1 compstomp BGH. There are some people though who actually like a challenge when playing games.

I never played StarCraft I don't get your analogy

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Aferisan posted:

Most nerds would rather be able to mess around and still win 100% of the time then actually be challenged by anything.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Bonfiesta posted:

Dota does get a lot less fun the higher up you are in the MMR brackets, where you have to contend with 5 players of a similar, or significantly higher skill level, while being basically forbidden from experimenting with different heroes and builds. That said, there are... certain ways around this. Queuing with lower level goons for instance. :pseudo:

(or any goons for that matter)

This is silly. You're totally free to do and play whatever you want as long as you're fine with your MMR changing. If I decided that I was going to master Meepo or Chen or some other hero I'm currently really uncomfortable with then I'm probably going to lose more often for a while. That's a shame, but if I really belonged at my previous MMR I should be able to get back there.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I started my mmr at 3750 or something and decided one day I was going to teach myself Queen of Pain for 80 games or so. Well losing 700 mmr points in a week is pretty hard to get back turns out and I'm just now back to 3600 range after maybe 2 months or so. It sucked seeing the score go down so far but I got a lot better at the hero and now I'm back to where I started. Queen of Pain is a hard hero to win with though in my opinion unless you're really, really good with mechanics and even then I started playing her right after she got nerfed which was probably not the smartest thing to do if I was really concerned with my mmr.

Zekky
Feb 27, 2013

sesh posted:

I spent a lot of time asking around and looking for 5k+ mmr mainly-support players and all I came up with were:

1) earth spirits
2) zenigata http://dotabuff.com/players/86740536 (aka this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKIB_d2h0ZY )
3) this peruvian dude 'joel' http://dotabuff.com/players/118948478
4) ppd is kind of an honorable mention because he mostly randoms and keeps hard supports

But if anyone else has found other high mmr supports I'd like to know so I can watch their replays.

I'm 5k and I play mostly supports/random heroes http://dotabuff.com/players/47234894. I've been playing a lot of chen, visage and shadow shaman lately.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

FlyinPingu posted:

I don't play ranked because I like having all of the good game modes in the rotation and there is little appeal in watching a number go up/down for me.

This is pretty much me. I still haven't even finished my calibration matches. Every time I think I want to play ranked I inevitably end up playing a game of AR, SD, RD, or RAD. Just so much funner.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

5-man ranked is great for playing Captains Mode and such, good replacement for team matches as few people play every 5-man with the same lineup. I never play solo ranked though, and very seldom 2-3 man ranked.

I will say though that random pub players you get in ranked tend to be a lot easier to work with on average than the ones you get in unranked.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

This is pretty much me. I still haven't even finished my calibration matches. Every time I think I want to play ranked I inevitably end up playing a game of AR, SD, RD, or RAD. Just so much funner.

Me too. I've never touched ranked because I'd rather see what I get in Single Draft and how to cope with picking the only support amongst four carries, or how not to play support Alch.

Sometimes I want to play a specific hero, though, and then I realise having every other game mode queued is not conductive to that, but people in All Pick are impossible. I'll have to do this thing called "playing with Goons" at some point.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KnoxZone posted:

I played ranked enough to get calibration and my number's not too low so I don't really care that much.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Merlini HATES this woman! Stay at home mom figures out 1 simple trick to Raise Your MMR.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
You know, I wouldn't expect anything less from Dota, when one of the absolute worst pub heroes, Wisp, has a 94% win rate with the highest ranked pub player who plays it nearly exclusively

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
MMR is important because once you hit 5000 your name gets automatically added to a database of future pros and then you get picked up by Navi and win TI4.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
The MMR system is bullshit because I was given a lower rating based on my performance than someone else who apparently did better than I did in the same exact system that follows the same exact metrics for everyone

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Merlini HATES this woman! Stay at home mom figures out 1 simple trick to Raise Your MMR.

Is this a joke about Merlini living with his mother?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Firebatgyro posted:

So a case that has no bearing on actual Dota, cool, thanks

Even if you disagree with the point, you have to agree that sometimes pub Dota is not actual Dota.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Aferisan posted:

Basically the equivalent of playing 5v1 dota, where the 1 is a bot. A lot of people do not enjoy games where failure is expected. Personally I think between DOTA2 and Dark Souls 2 I just like games that are hard and make you mad?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Have you never seen those Ads? 'DENTISTS HATE THIS WOMEN. STAY AT HOME MOM HAS ONE SIMPLE TRICK TO WHITEN TEETH!'

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

You know, I wouldn't expect anything less from Dota, when one of the absolute worst pub heroes, Wisp, has a 94% win rate with the highest ranked pub player who plays it nearly exclusively

What's the deal with that guy? His build is basically the same everygame and its superweird. He doesn't even get boots. I'm guessing he most exclusively play with another guy that wisp combos with for the build to make sense?

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Its a joke about all those terrible ads with tricks discovered by bored single mothers.

Anyone save that image someone made about Puck's weight loss?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Internet Kraken posted:

What's the deal with that guy? His build is basically the same everygame and its superweird. He doesn't even get boots. I'm guessing he most exclusively play with another guy that wisp combos with for the build to make sense?

He plays with Ursas and Alchemists and groups with other semi-talented doters who intentionally tank their mmr to stay in low brackets.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't know all the replays are expired. He doesn't seem to play with any single person that much and it just looks like a random hard carry every game. So weird. Its must be some troll by a chinese super genius

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Is Radiance a "core" item for Naga Siren? What's a good build for fair to middlin' farm, if I'm not getting crazy farm in lane?

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
You have to have some kind of super autism to play that hero every game. Also hate having fun.

The wisp savant that is.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

hubris.height posted:

Is Radiance a "core" item for Naga Siren? What's a good build for fair to middlin' farm, if I'm not getting crazy farm in lane?

Diffusal is the alternate item if you can't make a Radiance. You can often do pretty well just getting Diffusal then going straight to Manta or Heart. But you really do need a Diffusal OR a Radiance. If you don't have one of the two, then why are you playing Naga?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

You have to have some kind of super autism to play that hero every game.
So you're a Wisp player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Wisp would actually be a really nuanced, interesting, complicated hero to master. There's nothing easy about playing Wisp.

• Locked thread