Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Gather armor pickups to increase your armor. You get less than a full point of armor per pickup, and both the number per pickup and total overall armor is different for each class.

Also while we are talking about progress related things, I was sort of terrified that online and offline mission progress are unique to each other, but weapons and armor are not, so it's not so bad after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
And yet (at least on Normal), I died less times total in 2025 than I was merely downed in IA. Where we're going, we won't NEED NPCs to revive us :dukedog:

Though to be fair, the AI buddies in IA were nice to have along even if they were weren't as :downs: charming. Man I wish there was a :downsblack101:

Merijn posted:

I haven't looked at 2025 in-depth, but IA features armor upgrades and I can't see that in 2025. Am I wrong or is this solved by making 2025 armor stronger?
You are MUCH better off for armor and weapons in 2025 despite it being drop based. As long as you don't completely ignore armor boxes you can get through Normal just fine, I had between 800-900 armor by the end of normal with no going back to previous levels to grind for armor or guns. Outside of one or two trips to stage one on Hard for a better sniper rifle to deal with a particular Boss Stage, which itself then dropped halfway through normal legit and then was collecting dust by the end.

I'm in the "It was Okay" camp for IA, I'm glad I played it at least, but there's no way I'm going back to it, or bothering with grinding my level bars through it's higher difficulties. Meanwhile in 2025, I want to at LEAST get through Hard on all the classes because of the more wild and crazy toys (at least, for Ranger. Weapons STARTS crazy beyond "This normal looking gun/rocket launcher hurts more/has a bigger explosion" for the other classes) start showing up in Hard/Very End of Normal like the Missile launchers the size of your body, or 20 barreled grenade launchers that fire bouncy grenades.

When you are just playing through the game on Normal, 2025 doesn't feel like a grind the way IA did to me. 2025 only starts to feel Grindy when you are trying to stock up on piles of Armor for Hardest and Inferno (Or, Hard if you are skipping a Normal playthrough and aren't as TOTAL PRO :smug: as some of the posters here). If you want better guns, just take a dip into Hard on any stage you feel you can handle instead of having to wait until you "level up" for the next rank of a few weapons. Stage 1-3 Hard will always drops stuff you'd find a fourth to halfway through normal, a single Hard Stage 3 dropped Thunder Bow drop has turned me into a nearly unstoppable monster for anything in it's range with my Wing Diver the first chunk of normal with a fresh never played yet wing diver.

Weapon drops DO get a bit more frustrating at Hardest/Inferno, because then it starts dropping everything from level 40-100, all the time, instead of straight up scaling without "worse" weapons still showing up as you progress through Normal/Hard. But the progression to GET to the endgame scale of badassery is much more forgiving, since on the way up there you can take quick stops into the next difficulty up and grab a gun FROM THE FUTURE, then go back to the Difficulty you are mostly playing with an advantage. Instead of grinding all the way through a "experience level" to get a slightly better gun. I forget, in IA it stopped giving you experience at all if you hit the "level cap" of a particular difficulty, right?

Tl;DR: If you want to try a new class in IA, you had to start completely from scratch with no hope of a leg up. In 2025 after I beat Normal Ranger without any grinding, I dropped a fresh Wing Diver into stage 3 hard and picked up a Thunder Bow (giant reflective lightning shotgun, basically) that would show up 1/4 to halfway through Normal, then started rampaging my way through Normal from there.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 13, 2014

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I've been playing EDF2, cheesing level 12 on Inferno (where you have to kill Godzilla) by running up to him and blasting him with a full energy bar's worth of the Ixion 9 Way, but I just unlocked the Grome SS and it is absolutely amazing. No energy drain, so I can use it while flying.
Kills Inferno Godzilla in 10 seconds flat, or one magazine.
This is the best.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, the lightning guns that bounce along surfaces instead of off them are pretty ridiculous against big targets. There's no beating a Master Rapier T wrecking him in 3 seconds flat, though.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 13, 2014

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Stupid wishful thinking question. Is there anything like, a Special "weapon" drop, that instead of a gun or grenade is MORE POWER for the Wing Diver?

Because I would so love a super battery pack to let you go all out with a Weapon Of Choice flying near nonstop.

EDIT: vvv Yeah I meant wing diver battery power. Even if I wasn't talkin Solo diver action, I somehow doubt an Air Raider's beacon would have that much vertical distance for prolonged flights even if you stayed in the general area of it.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 13, 2014

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace

Section Z posted:

Stupid wishful thinking question. Is there anything like, a Special "weapon" drop, that instead of a gun or grenade is MORE POWER for the Wing Diver?
If you mean energy, then the Air Raider has a beacon they can deploy to increase energy recharge rate for Wing Divers (If you meant damage then I think there’s one for that too).

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
The Air Raider gets all of the fun toys. My only real big complaint is that playing as one sucks all the fun out of the other classes.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Dude, the final (?) level of EDF2/GDF is crazy...

I've died 3 times on normal so far to this alien rave.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

This is going to seem really silly/stupid, but I think I'd feel genuinely uncomfortable in the levels with bee's. How many Bee missions are there?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

LibbyM posted:

This is going to seem really silly/stupid, but I think I'd feel genuinely uncomfortable in the levels with bee's. How many Bee missions are there?

Fortunately for you, you never have to worry about Bees again! :pseudo:

There is a ton of Hornets though, including a giant Hornet's nest :unsmigghh:

Less cruel joke spoiler news, they actually DO go away. They get replaced by Dragons

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Section Z posted:

Fortunately for you, you never have to worry about Bees again! :pseudo:

There is a ton of Hornets though, including a giant Hornet's nest :unsmigghh:

Less cruel joke spoiler news, they actually DO go away. They get replaced by Dragons

There's still a lot of them after that.

There's even one in the second to last mission. You can't take that, the game's going to be painful from here on out.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hey y'all, is there a good list of the best levels to weapon grind on? Because I'm flat-out doing it wrong.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
So far Den of thieves, Death Queen, Machine Squad and Fallen Flagship are the fastest way to get stuff since they're short and don't have you walking across the map. Mission 16 on the second DLC is the best way but also hard as balls without decent weapons.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Roughly:

Chapter 11 Inferno is the starting point. If you drop back from the spawn at the start of the map, few-to-none of the crafts will follow you. The EDF troopers on the level are very strong in Inferno and will slowly kill them all off - just dart in at the right time to hoover up the green boxes and you're done. This'll get you level 0-55.

If you've got a really good sniper gun (MONSTER-S for instance) you can poke Hectors to death in 14 Inferno for 0-56. If you've got ways to kill creatures en-masse then you can try 26 Inferno (lots and lots of red ants) for 3-63.

Once you can kill Hectors faster than required in 14 you can graduate up to 45 Inferno, which gives 15-75 in Inferno and 5-60 in Hardest. Alternatively mission 70 is lots of tunnels and spiders and gives 29-89 weapons on Inferno and 13-68 in Hardest.

Or, if you have a spread weapon that can saturate a tunnel, you buy Mission Pack 2 and do DLC mission 16 over and over and over.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Found a pretty amazing level to nab some extremely high-level weapons: Mission 45: Blue Fighters (where they first introduce the blue hectors). The level is pretty easy... the Hectors usually fire at your squadmates instead of you, plus Hectors drop tons of weapons. If you kill the first hectors that appear and leave one dropship alive, you can easily keep killing the single hectors it drops every 30 seconds.

We haven't been able to beat any of the later levels on Hardest, but we could keep farming single hectors indefinitely on Inferno, and jumped from level 50-or-so weapons to level 80-or-so weapons.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 14, 2014

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Gonna have to try some of that. Going by the drop levels, my 900 Ranger and 450 Air Raider seem to be stuck where I've already gotten everything I can get from the levels I can do. 75 hardest did not go well, but on hard it was trivial at least for armor.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
Mission pack 3 is going to be balls-hard in inferno. The levels are insane.

Silver king spiders? I estimate them at around 20,000 hp on easy.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Polo-Rican posted:

Found a pretty amazing level to nab some extremely high-level weapons: Mission 45: Blue Fighters (where they first introduce the blue hectors). The level is pretty easy... the Hectors usually fire at your squadmates instead of you, plus Hectors drop tons of weapons. If you kill the first hectors that appear and leave one dropship alive, you can easily keep killing the single hectors it drops every 30 seconds.

We haven't been able to beat any of the later levels on Hardest, but we could keep farming single hectors indefinitely on Inferno, and jumped from level 50-or-so weapons to level 80-or-so weapons.

This is a Good Post.

My friend and I also found this level to be great for that, independent of the thread. It's relatively far in, it ONLY has Hectors (and a couple dropships), and my Air Raider's level 32-ish Railgun + Power Post makes it pretty easy. We started on Hard and wanted to farm up some stuff before moving on to Hardest or Inferno, and this mission is great for that assuming you can pump out the damage.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rabidredneck posted:

Also, if you're diving around in that game's tank, they're happy to jump into the side turrets and help out. People give IA crap, but it honestly had some good ideas.

One of the things I'm really impressed with in 2025 is that they didn't just throw out everything about IA. They took some of the good ideas, like making Multiplayer a bigger deal and having more soldier classes, though I wish to God they hadn't done Armor the way they did in 2025.

At least there are no ticks.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
Do any goons even play this on PS3 anymore already? PS3 online is nearly a ghost town, server 1 is lucky to break 50 users at once, and is mostly populated by people fresh out of the box or uptight douchebags.

It's not because a certain game came out this week, either, this is how PS3 online has looked literally every time I've attempted it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I play it on PS3, I just don't bother playing online much because I don't want to have to unlock all the missions again starting from number 1. I kind of get the feeling that with couch co-op being that much easier, that's what a lot of people are thinking.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The Japanese servers have between 50 and occasionally 200 users on the #1 server. If only they had used the same servers, like would have been the right and sane thing to do...

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I still play online but the game is really going out of it's way to not make me. It disconnects+freezes me and people randomly at the drop of a hat and the newest thing now is disconnecting me when I restart the mission every loving time. It needs a patch badly because right now it's a notch above unplayable.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Do any goons even play this on PS3 anymore already? PS3 online is nearly a ghost town, server 1 is lucky to break 50 users at once, and is mostly populated by people fresh out of the box or uptight douchebags.

You can add me if you like(same name as my SA name), I'll definitely be playing some more. I put some time in when it first came out but I've been really busy at work and home with big changes and haven't felt like playing games lately.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah the online on the ps3 is just lovely which is too bad because the game is super fun. Hopefully they'll improve it before the ps4 version/game or the inevitable Vita port.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Marogareh posted:

I still play online but the game is really going out of it's way to not make me. It disconnects+freezes me and people randomly at the drop of a hat and the newest thing now is disconnecting me when I restart the mission every loving time. It needs a patch badly because right now it's a notch above unplayable.
That's actually really odd to me because I've had next to no problems with the Japanese version (other than not being able to join mid-stage). I was shocked how reliable its online system was, for a developer who fucks up technical stuff all the time.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's actually really odd to me because I've had next to no problems with the Japanese version (other than not being able to join mid-stage). I was shocked how reliable its online system was, for a developer who fucks up technical stuff all the time.

I played 25 hours online with the PS3 US version and never had a crash. Only saw one guy get a black screen where he was still talking to us but was just in a limbo and had to restart. Maybe the DLC is more unstable or something, haven't got to those yet.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I play online still but I just hardly find the time for this game at the moment and when I do I do not always go online. Really should do it more.

Edit: Could they update the game to international servers? Has that ever been done for a game before?

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 16, 2014

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Is it just the ps3 version with very little people playing online, or is xbox kind of a waste land for online too?
Doesn't really matter since I'd be local cooping if I got this, but curious.

Izno
Sep 10, 2010
I've definitely been having trouble finding people to beat missions later on in normal mode with. I'm TristanZD on the Xbox version if anyone wants to add me for some glorious bug shooting action.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I think it's Dark Souls 2. I imagine the two games have pretty similar fanbases as they're both tough as nails, reward skill, no hand-holding, graphics are kind of poo poo, etc.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
Thank you to whoever posted about AFK farming. I never looked up any videos or read anything on it but after a few experiments on mission 13 I now have my happy team of rangers farming piles of armor while I clean the house and other necessary tasks in the real world.

I've found many friendly nongoon players on ps3 but if you see me playing I'll generally join when invited.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

I think it's Dark Souls 2

That's true in my case at least, I'd been having a blast with EDF every day until DS2 came out. Here's hoping that people come back to EDF later on, I know I will.

DrManiac posted:

I always loved the idea of RAD (it's basically Tetsujin 28 the videogame right?)

Almost: Tetsujin 28 is Tetsujin 28 the videogame, unsurprisingly also by Sandlot.

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace
Do any of the other classes have good options for clearing DLC2 mission 16 on Inferno? It’s a dream as a Wing Diver with the electroshock weapons that can fill the tunnels, but I’m not aware of any similar weapons for the others. The Ranger would I think need to use explosive weapons, which would be suicide.

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

Hactar posted:

Do any of the other classes have good options for clearing DLC2 mission 16 on Inferno? It’s a dream as a Wing Diver with the electroshock weapons that can fill the tunnels, but I’m not aware of any similar weapons for the others. The Ranger would I think need to use explosive weapons, which would be suicide.

I was playing this yesterday with a Ranger and sucked pretty hard on it. I was using the Volcanic Napalm grenade launcher to drop a 30 second 20k damage fire in choke points and those fuckers were still coming through and having their way with me.

I wasn't on top of my game at the time and am meaning to try it again though.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I managed to get through it on Ranger just fine with the AF100 and Stingray MF. Obviously, you can't get too trigger happy with the rocket launcher if some of them get close to you, but provided you're smart about drawing swarms to choke points it's pretty easy to hold everything down, and the AF does enough damage that it can mop up any spread-out survivors with little issue.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 17, 2014

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace
Hm, I only have the AF99, but maybe I’ll try a run with that on Hardest and see if I can get the 100 (hopefully it’ll drop at that difficulty).

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Hactar posted:

Hm, I only have the AF99, but maybe I’ll try a run with that on Hardest and see if I can get the 100 (hopefully it’ll drop at that difficulty).

Run mission 71 on Inferno - it'll drop the 100, and it's a shitton easier than the goddamn silver spiders. In fact, for ranger, you technically don't even need to run DLC 16 since the highest level Ranger weapon is the Lysander Z and that will drop from 71. DLC 16 does drop a ton more poo poo though :v:

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The way I do DLC 16 with a ranger is with a flame geyser and a sparrow shotgun. Place about 4 geysers on the walls and shotgun the poo poo out of anything that gets stunlocked in them. Online it's next to impossible with 4 people and even worse when they have triple digit armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Genocide Guns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGnvobY0jJo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiaBD0t67Ak

modder posted:

There are 5 Genocide weapons named in the Game Files (files on the disc). But I could only get 2 of them. You can't obtain the Genocide Weapons normally because the Developers removed them because of the lag they caused.