Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Robindaybird posted:

Washington is a horrible tactician, but what he was good at was delegation, he knew where to put people where they're the most effective.

And well, being a lucky son of a bitch (though all the bad luck seem to transfer to his horses)

Again, Fortune. Jefferson can be Vamp and Franklin can be Fatman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

FoolyCharged posted:

The dude started the French and Indian war by attacking a French ambassador. Given that that war brought the financial strain on Britain that led to the taxation and tensions followed by revolution, I would say that abysmal is right on.

Ambassador? What? He attacked a French military officer, Jumonville, who was under official orders to remove British troops from the area.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Robindaybird posted:

Washington is a horrible tactician, but what he was good at was delegation, he knew where to put people where they're the most effective.

And well, being a lucky son of a bitch (though all the bad luck seem to transfer to his horses)

He was also by almost all accounts amazing at logistics. Just do not expect him to actually lead troops to victory.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zebrin posted:

He was also by almost all accounts amazing at logistics. Just do not expect him to actually lead troops to victory.

As far as this game goes, an above poster was correct in noting that Washington is just kind of there. He's expansionist, which can lead to difficulties if he wants your land, but he's otherwise completely unremarkable. America's UA in Civ5 is getting +1 sight radius on units, which is useful but nothing to write home about, and getting to buy city tiles for 50% off, which is almost useless - there's a wonder that does this at 25% off, and another civilization added later just flat-out grabs more land when they settle new cities. America's unique units are also pretty bad. Minutemen are decent but unexceptional, and while the B-17 is very good, it's a very rare game that isn't effectively decided one way or another by the time they come online.

Whatever he was historically, in Civ5 George Washington is a bland and unremarkable leader of an aggressively mediocre if not downright bad civilization.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Cythereal posted:

an aggressively mediocre if not downright bad civilization.

MURRICA in a nutshell. :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I hope they never patch him.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Patter Song posted:

Again, Fortune. Jefferson can be Vamp and Franklin can be Fatman.

Does that make Benedict Arnold Ocelot, then?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm half a mind to win a game on an ultra-hard difficulty as America just to spite the haters.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Speedball posted:

I'm half a mind to win a game on an ultra-hard difficulty as America just to spite the haters.

Do it.

In the words of the American national anthem

"I'm gonna rise up, I'm gonna kick a little rear end, Gonna kick some rear end in the USA, Gonna climb a mountain, Gonna sew a flag, Gonna fly on an Eagle, I'm gonna kick some butt, I'm gonna drive a big truck, I'm gonna rule this world, Gonna kick some rear end, Gonna rise up, Kick a little rear end, ROCK, FLAG AND EAGLE!"

Prove those idealistic words still have meaning, even in these troubled times.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I saw a mod once which was unashamedly patriotic-- America got every country's UA, UU, UB, and UI. "American Exceptionalism." I played it once and felt like a bizarre god.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Teddybear posted:

I saw a mod once which was unashamedly patriotic-- America got every country's UA, UU, UB, and UI. "American Exceptionalism." I played it once and felt like a bizarre god.
That barely counts as a mod because it takes the game aspect out of the exercise in pressing an 'I win' button with a little flag painted on it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Polynesia is also rather bad when they're not playing on an island/archipelago map, but when they are they can potentially settle all across the map while everyone else is still stuck on their puny little islands.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

silentsnack posted:

That barely counts as a mod because it takes the game aspect out of the exercise in pressing an 'I win' button with a little flag painted on it.

Sounds like how most Americans feel about America.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.
Washington's greatest achievement during the revolution was keeping the Continental Army around and knowing he stood no chance in battle with the British. By simply existing, the army put more pressure on the British than any number of direct conflicts could have done. They were forced to pour money down the drain on an expensive military expedition and a by all rights unprofitable colony on the other side of the world as tensions with the French heated up.

He may have been bad at fighting a war, but he was good at winning a war.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Robindaybird posted:

In a sense, the successes of the American Empire almost all come down to luck. Pre-World Wars, our strength came from having essentially exclusive access to the best natural resources on the planet; post-World Wars, it came from being the only major power on the planet who hadn't had a World War happen in the middle of their living-room.

Maybe 'dumb luck' would be a pretty good theme for them? A guaranteed better-than-normal starting position, all units having a chance to reappear in their capital at 1 HP rather than die, and random good events happen at regular intervals to them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Part 30: Progress!

Well, since we're from the future, it stands to reason we're probably the most progressive. Ancient Rome may have been pretty progressive for its time too, but they didn't exactly let women in their army.

The Americans and Romans are spreading out. It's only a matter of time before someone starts to get in someone else's way…

Case in point, someone getting in our way. These guys are going to cut off our potential exploration…oi.

How would you rate our chances against Nobunaga in a fight?

Now? Maybe not so bad. Everyone's still rebuilding. But later? Oi…

I'm really more of a computer engineer than a construction worker, but at least my math courses can help us build some basic siege weaponry. Did you know that the very first computers were created to help calculate artillery trajectories?

Not really. I guess militarism really has been pushing forward the sciences, hasn't it?

Not always, but often, yes. Of course, one of the biggest obstacles to scientific progress has been militarism, as well…hardheads often only consider the bottom line, and focus on one area. "Can it be used to kill people?" is usually the first question asked of anything new.

What's the second?

"Can I have sex with it?"

Uhm…

We're a few decades away from perfecting intercourse-capable androids, but it'll probably happen!

Way too much information, doc.

Alright, our new ultra-advanced indoor archery training course is done! I'm going to put everyone through this--it takes a lot of practice to get good with a bow, and you'll go through live-fire exercises, too. By which I mean, you'll all be expected to start hunting for game with these bows.

Mmm, rabbit and venison…

Rabbits nothing, when we're done I expect you to be able to kill sharks with your arrows!

The time of shininess is upon us!

Come, friends! Let us work together in harmony for the glory of shinyness!

Oh, boy…

I was going to try to convince them to collect money for me, but even they saw through it. So instead we're just going to focus on making things…fun. The priest of Shiny Things is officially being folded into our services as the morale officer.

Mother Base is upgraded again? What new death course have you devised for the recruits?

Our low-crawl has replaced the barbed wire with live snakes, and the recruits are expected to know which ones are poisonous so they know where to crawl. Our "special" drill instructor Sgt. "Bobcat" Kato is instructed to appear at any time to attack them in hand-to-hand combat, too.

Heh. Yeah, that's basically how the Boss trained me.

We'll have an army of snakes!

Cargo Ship "Albatross," initiate a trading mission with Milan! And don't get your rear end sunk by pirates this time!

Bad news, Boss. Oda Nobunaga just doubled the size of his army in a massive recruitment drive. I'd bet good money he's planning on invading someone soon…probably us.

drat. I was hoping we could avoid this, but…time to start building those siege engines, Strangelove.

So, Big Boss, I had a rather good deal going on with Milan. I agreed to protect them, they sent me some of their delicious fruits and copies of their poetry regularly. But I haven't been receiving those ever since you gave them your "stimulus package."

You're upset that I bribed Milan?

YES!

Look, it's just fruits and poetry--

There's no JUST about fruits and poetry! I must have these things to calm the rage within. The inherent inequity of the world makes my blood boil over, and without something to soothe my temper, the urge to crush and destroy is overwhelming. AND YOU'RE MY NEXT-DOOR NEIGHBOR!

Whoah--look, man, I didn't even---

You think you can just buy the world into obeying you, Snake!? You filth! You and your tamarin-haired, raccoon-eyed second-in-command had better beware!

Tamarin-haired?! Hey, wait a minute!

RAUUUGH! *sounds of a Go board being knocked over*

drat.

I knew Nobunaga had a temper, but I never expected to be on the receiving end of it.

Well, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of pain. Let's see if we can get some blacksmithing done to outfit some sword guys and…do what we can.

To Be Continued!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Ratoslov posted:

post-World Wars, it came from being the only major power on the planet who hadn't had a World War happen in the middle of their living-room.

It cannot be understated how important this was to America being successful in the modern era. Being able to reap all the benefits of war with almost none of the penalties had huge economic ramifications.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Ratoslov posted:

In a sense, the successes of the American Empire almost all come down to luck. Pre-World Wars, our strength came from having essentially exclusive access to the best natural resources on the planet; post-World Wars, it came from being the only major power on the planet who hadn't had a World War happen in the middle of their living-room.

Maybe 'dumb luck' would be a pretty good theme for them? A guaranteed better-than-normal starting position, all units having a chance to reappear in their capital at 1 HP rather than die, and random good events happen at regular intervals to them.

Hey it can't all be 'dumb luck'. Mexico had pretty much all of those same advantages and haven't ended up nearly as well.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Live imaging from Nobunaga's quarters:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Speedball posted:

Part 30: Progress!

"Can I have sex with it?"
The internet always finds a way.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Luhood posted:

Hmm... idea:

-----

Lego Civ

With their soldiers being reconstructible, the Lego armies can often rebound from whatever is thrown at them and rebuild outside of enemy range (Withdrawal chance), and every soldiers can be refitted to suit a different purpose.

Since everything is Lego, everything can be Lego. And when Lego is reused it can be reused for anything.

And even when a Lego unit is ultimately lost, it can be worth its weight in spare parts.

-----

The Lego Civilization has its strength in Versatility and Numbers. Quantity rather than Quality. No matter how much you throw at the enemy there is always more where it came from. I think what I did suits that purpose, horribly imbalanced as it may be.

I would be very happy if this mod were created and incorporated in the third incarnation of Civ V Solid.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

silentsnack posted:

The internet Animals always find a way.

Fixed that for you, animals (not just humans) have been having sex with strange things you are not supposed to have sex with for millions of years.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Speedball posted:

We're a few decades away from perfecting intercourse-capable androids, but it'll probably happen!

There's no JUST about fruits and poetry! I must have these things to calm the rage within. The inherent inequity of the world makes my blood boil over, and without something to soothe my temper, the urge to crush and destroy is overwhelming. AND YOU'RE MY NEXT-DOOR NEIGHBOR!

Things are really bad when Big Boss and Kaz seem like the voices of cool-tempered rationality and sanity.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I smell a sitcom. One's a soldier dissatisfied with the current state of how nations treat their soldiers, the other's a Japanese warlord! They're neighbors!

Where should I collect my checks?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Live imaging from Nobunaga's quarters:

Old-school rage-quitting!

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
:allears: The Terracotta Army, so different when BNW came out, and such a game changer. Of course, you barely have a prayer of getting it yourself, but when I landed it in an Indonesia game it cemented an early Kris swordsman assault and started my conquest snowball.

Of course, seeing it built is as clear a statement of intent as anything. Just about doubling your army puts a hole in your GPT, meaning you either watch it eat your treasury or you make up the deficit from the burning cities of your neighbors.

Suffice to say, I'd be moving a unit someplace I could keep an eye on Japan and investing in compound bows.

Edit: holy drat Osaka is forward placed. He's stomping someone, but it could be Rome. You'll know for certain if he shows up being suspiciously friendly while asking for an embassy or something.

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 16, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yea, if you aren't ready to start wrecking someone after getting it, your economy will get screwed for nothing.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Kato showing out of nowhere to attack, yay! Classic.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Pyroi posted:

I smell a sitcom. One's a soldier dissatisfied with the current state of how nations treat their soldiers, the other's a Japanese warlord! They're neighbors! They fight crime!

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
Is it okay that I picture this as Seinfeld and Kramer (Nobunaga as Kramer, naturally). The Crimea is weak!

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I thought it was the Ukraine.

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
Yes, I just had Crimea on the brain for obvious reasons. They can both be weak for the purposes of this conversations.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013

RandomPauI posted:

I would be very happy if this mod were created and incorporated in the third incarnation of Civ V Solid.

Can I second that? Let's see the third incarnation get weird :D

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The third incarnation should just be mod civs only.

e: Or Metal Gear Civs only.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 16, 2014

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
So, the third incarnation is when it gets full Kojima?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Derek Barona posted:

So, the third incarnation is when it gets full Kojima?

No, it'll go full Kojima at the end of the second incarnation. It'll get very confusing then.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
The third should be all of Snake's allies with their own Civs vs. Snake. They've been brainwashed and he has to put them down.

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014
Oda's definitely out for blood, with his Guarded attitude and his forward-settling.

How are you handling the higher Mother Base requirements to level up? They probably won't start getting more noticeable until later on, but still.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Vicevirtuoso posted:

Oda's definitely out for blood, with his Guarded attitude and his forward-settling.

How are you handling the higher Mother Base requirements to level up? They probably won't start getting more noticeable until later on, but still.

Right now I'm compensating by having every single one of my starting soldiers on mercenary duty, and the greatly improved palace bonuses helped me get out those two vital wonders early (wasn't actually expecting to get the second one, but I figured, worth a shot). Gonna need those palace bonuses and production bonuses, too, to put out more soldiers faster. Otherwise it would have taken too long to get those catapults out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
I was always led to believe that America's Continental Army was poo poo, but when ranks fell apart, and they resorted to guerrilla tactics, they demoralized and picked at the British numbers until an ocean's worth of attrition weighed on the crown(and the taxpayers) back home.

I mean, America had no experience fighting standard armies, but they did have some experience with the Native Americans' ways of fighting. Or was that not until the Jeffersonian expansion via the Louisiana purchase?

• Locked thread