Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, that was an amazing ending. Does that song ever show up in the game or do you have to buy it as a special extra?

Was there another sequel to Splashdown with a stadium editor? It seems like a natural thing to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Glazius posted:

Okay, that was an amazing ending. Does that song ever show up in the game or do you have to buy it as a special extra?
It was the music of his ending movie in Splashdown 1, wasn't it?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

It was the music of his ending movie in Splashdown 1, wasn't it?

No, that was a different song. That was the one where he doesn't play Pharaoh.

Glazius, you had to buy it as the 'mystery song' before it would show up as a playable song. And no, there never was a sequel nor a stadium editor. It did seem like the next step (though it seemed like the next step back in Splashdown 1 as well), but I can see why they didn't implement one. I don't think THQ was expecting great sales from this game, and a level editor was probably too much extra effort.

JamieTheD posted:

EDIT: For those who want to listen to it at a higher volume... Here ya go!

why would you want to hear it any louder...

Insetik fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 17, 2014

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright. If anyone really cares, I shifted the OP (rather, the previous games list) around to have all the one-shots at the top of the list, collected together. I'd been getting pretty lazy about putting those in the big list, and I don't know how much longer I can go until I hit 50,000 characters, so this should be good at saving some space. Now, after the somewhat-underrated not-really-gem-but-still-good game Splashdown Rides Gone Wild, I'm moving to Gamecube to bring you a game that John Kricfalusi would be proud of. That's right:

Ren and Stimpy Go Skateboarding: Let's Play Go! Go! Hypergrind

What is this game?
Go! Go! Hypergrind is a skateboarding game developed by Atlus in collaboration with SPUMCO animation studios. This colorful game is set in the toon world, where cartoon characters of all types live. The 'plot' of the game is that SPUMCO is looking for a leading actor in their new show, and you are one of many hopefuls trying to get the role. How do you do that? By skating your best against the others, surviving round after round until you're the winner. It's like a game show, set in a game about making a fictional show. Ow, my head...

The main feature of the game is how your character interacts with the level using the "Negative Reaction" system. Find the right objects or hazards in the level, and you can get your character's head cut off or get them drenched in paint or set on fire or flattened thin - hey, it's a cartoon! These things can happen! Anyways, you want to link those together along with your regular arsenal of tricks to rack up points throughout the levels.

I'm going to do something a bit different and 'explain' the game and what I think throughout two different posts, as there are sinister and annoying parts to this game that won't come up until video 2. I don't want you writing this game off, though, as it barely got a chance in the market and is almost unheard-of. "I had to order this off amazon for like 20 bucks used" is what I'm saying here. Still, this game starts off-the-rails and only gets crazier, so let's begin! I do need to play the tutorial, but I'm only showing off the parts that explain the weird combo system.

Go! Go! Hypergrind Part 1: Tutorial and Toon City (1/2)

Text Link

Insetik fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 23, 2014

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Huh, actually, when you can find a copy, the price appears very reasonable, I'll definitely have to dig this one up! I like the idea, I like most of the characters (While I can understand why you didn't wanna play the Miss Piggy type character, I know where they're coming from with it), and I like the mechanics.

I don't like the trainer guy, though. He's the only one we've seen enough of so far for me to definitely say he plays a bum note, and I think that's mostly due to his animations (not great). But the "Negative Reaction" animations for Sally seem quite good, so yeah, looking forward to finding a copy sometime round my birthday!

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
What a bizarre game. It reminds me of Cel Damage for some reason, maybe it's the whole art style plus TV show thing.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
I really do like how they embrace the cartoony aspect, instead of just using it as a medium like other certain "extreme" sport games. The cutscene animations could be better, but the execution of those negative reaction appeals is just superb, and the game seems to let you easily connect them together, like the gigantic boobs bouncing you everywhere.

And yes, I was also thinking you could interact with that loading screen mini-game, maybe try pushing buttons to see what happens.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

JamieTheD posted:

Huh, actually, when you can find a copy, the price appears very reasonable, I'll definitely have to dig this one up! I like the idea, I like most of the characters (While I can understand why you didn't wanna play the Miss Piggy type character, I know where they're coming from with it), and I like the mechanics.

I don't like the trainer guy, though. He's the only one we've seen enough of so far for me to definitely say he plays a bum note, and I think that's mostly due to his animations (not great). But the "Negative Reaction" animations for Sally seem quite good, so yeah, looking forward to finding a copy sometime round my birthday!

Kevin is apparently supposed to be 'the annoying one / the straight man' but I don't give enough of a poo poo about him to hate him like that.

Also, if you want more in-detail bios of every character, and about the game overall, you can visit Atlus' website, and they have a little Go Go Hypergrind section in there.

http://www.atlus.com/gogo/

Piggy-Sue's problem, for example, is that she's addicted to drinking too much paint. Yeah... like, a couple liters of it at a time...

Character animations change for several moves for each character, as I said. Even during regular tricks, like a standard 50-50 grind, the characters will do different things. Sally, for example, stands on one foot and looks like she's gliding forward. Other characters would do different things. Obviously, I will need a bonus video or two, but for getting through the main campaign, I really want a balanced character. Look up some other gameplay footage with different characters, and it will be obvious who has a high grind stat vs a low grind stat, or a high reaction stat vs a low one. Reaction is the difference between having 15 seconds to find another appeal to use, and only having, like, 5 seconds.

I'm glad you guys seem to like the game! If you have any questions about the game, feel free to ask. There were a few things I might not have explained very well in the video. In particular, the situation with the cutscenes - what I was TRYING to say is that you might get 2 or 3 cutscenes per playthrough, and there may not be much to them. Sally's first cutscene, I believe, is maybe 10 seconds long, and you have to get through two whole levels to get it.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 23, 2014

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Why Atlas and not Atlus?

Ovues posted:

If you have any questions about the game, feel free to ask.
The loading screen looks like it expects you to drop an anvil. Have you tried pressing buttons?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

Why Atlas and not Atlus?

...Because I'm awful at paying attention.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Go! Go! Hypergrind has several types of challenges, of which every level picks 5 types from. There are the standard 'high score' challenges (with a modified version that shows up in this video), Simon Says (which you saw in the first video), level-specific mini-games, Race events, and Battle events. Obviously, that's 6 types there, so overall, each event will show up most of the time, and there may only be one level that doesn't feature it. This means you will always have either a Battle event or a Race even, and you will often get both in the same level. Both events pit you against the AI in one-on-one matches as you try to either attack the AI before it gets you, or do enough different Appeals to collect three colored medals. Both these events are awful, and you will see why in the video.

Those are really the main problems here - them, and how important they are to getting high points for the ranking system, and the ranking system in general. I am not able to control these events in the same way that I can control the tricking events. I choose what tricks I do; I can't choose which exact level events will give me the right medal, or if the AI will knock me out before I can really fight back. And I can't really help it if enough things don't go my way and I start to fall behind in the rankings. Because the two characters who stay in second/third place will continue to get first/second/third on anything. In the other games, if I screw up badly, I might have to repeat 5 or 10 minutes of stuff, max. In a level with both Battle and Race events, if I want to try again to get more points in the level than before, I may have to do 30-45 minutes of gameplay over again. Why? Well, you'll see in the video.

That is what is dragging Go! Go! Hypergrind down. Too many annoying events with too much of an impact on your overall score. That's why I have to give the game a 6 out of 10, maybe a 7. Like usual, actually. But instead of just being mediocre, it's a very creative, very interesting game with a massive stinker taking up about 30% of the story mode. That makes me a little sad. But, on the bright side...

Go! Go! Hypergrind Part 2: Toon City (2/2)

Text Link

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
That battle events looks unquestionably less fun. The rest looks all crazy and unique, and maybe even fun. The battle event looks like something that was thrown in to add some multiplayer options, which is odd because just about everything else about this game obviously has a lot of thought behind it.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Though the Race events are very similar to the Battle events (tournament-style, direct competition against AI), they are far more enjoyable. If you are able to continue doing different styles of appeals, you will do well in the race events. I have left out two of the four races, much like I did for the Battle event, but none of them ever came down to the wire or seemed like I would lose them. All of the Battle rounds, on the other hand, were tense and could go wrong at any time.

Also, I lost my save data. It got corrupted. I still want to give this a shot, so I played back through the tutorial and first level (and their UNSKIPPABLE CUTSCENES) to do this video. But if it happens again, I might not give this a third go...

In this video, I show off the (rather extensive) upgrade system, and then head out west for a two-gun staredown on Main Street. Also, we get Sally's first cutscene, which may just have been worth it.

Go! Go! Hypergrind Part 3: Western Film Set

Text Link

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Next up on Go! Go! Hypergrind, we head out to a Fantasy Studio. This area is made up of several smaller filming sets, all with their own combination of treacherous traps and nasty appeals for us to rack up points in. Watch as I buy some gear that will probably carry me to the end of the game! Gaze at me having varying amounts of luck in the Battle & Race events. Listen as I request even more stories from the master of fiction himself, ilmucche. Will he deliver? Hopefully. Anyways, let's rock.

Go! Go! Hypergrind Part 4: Fantasy Studio

Text Link

Insetik fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 6, 2014

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile
I'm surprised that the thread isn't more active. This game has a lot of character. Or maybe that's the problem; the game is just a little too weird. Doesn't leave much to talk about when the game is this wild, apparently.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
The game has a lot of character, but to me it seems kinda repetative. All the environments kinda blend together for me so every area just feels like more of the same. The gameplay is cool, but with the environments it doesn't really come across. It feels like they made the levels so varied within themselves individually that it doesn't leave much room for the levels to feel like separate areas. Besides the tornado and the giant swinging boobs I can't remember any set pieces.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

PSWII60 posted:

The game has a lot of character, but to me it seems kinda repetative. All the environments kinda blend together for me so every area just feels like more of the same. The gameplay is cool, but with the environments it doesn't really come across. It feels like they made the levels so varied within themselves individually that it doesn't leave much room for the levels to feel like separate areas. Besides the tornado and the giant swinging boobs I can't remember any set pieces.

Well, those WERE the two main set-pieces of the first two levels. This level didn't really have anything super stand out, except for maybe the plants coming to life from me smashing that star-thing. But nothing else approaches the 'stand-out' memorability of the giant boobs. If this level didn't catch you, the next one might not either.

I'm trying to record and upload these a little faster, if only to get up to the games that I know are really going to be something. Let's just say that there's one more sports game made by Konami, and it's even stranger than their previous efforts. Those should bring in more activity.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Ovues posted:

Well, those WERE the two main set-pieces of the first two levels. This level didn't really have anything super stand out, except for maybe the plants coming to life from me smashing that star-thing. But nothing else approaches the 'stand-out' memorability of the giant boobs. If this level didn't catch you, the next one might not either.

I'm trying to record and upload these a little faster, if only to get up to the games that I know are really going to be something. Let's just say that there's one more sports game made by Konami, and it's even stranger than their previous efforts. Those should bring in more activity.

Yeah I just remembered that the first 3 videos were 2 levels, for some reason it feels like I watched more than 4 videos of this. This level looked vastly different at least. It just didn't seem to feel any different through gameplay. Is there a difficulty curve as you progress? It seems like the battle and medal stuff is bullshit difficulty and the regular skate around and get points is somewhat easy.

EDIT: The plants were awesome.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 6, 2014

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

PSWII60 posted:

Yeah I just remembered that the first 3 videos were 2 levels, for some reason it feels like I watched more than 4 videos of this. This level looked vastly different at least. It just didn't seem to feel any different through gameplay. Is there a difficulty curve as you progress? It seems like the battle and medal stuff is bullshit difficulty and the regular skate around and get points is somewhat easy.

EDIT: The plants were awesome.

There's a very slight difficulty curve in the tricking events. By the last level, the AI will get around 3 times as many points as they get now in those. On the other hand, I am getting, like, 5 or 6 times as much as them at the moment sooooooo...

That's the case for the tricking events, but the levels don't seem to really get any harder for the Race/Battle/Simon Says/Minigame events. However, I am going 'semi-blind' by this point (load up game, play a level a bit for the first time, then get recording), so this might change when I actually play them, but there's footage on youtube of the later levels and things look about the same event-wise. I'll be able to talk about the actual levels once I record them.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 6, 2014

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Another level already, as I feel the need to push this game along. In this video, we go through another level, but we do have some serious talk about the game itself and why it's starting to feel like the same thing over and over again already. blanktester and I have our own ideas, but I don't really agree with some of the more radical ones. Should this game have removed the tricking system and tried to work something else in its place? Should it have expanded that system and added more events tailored to tricking?

Maybe the problems aren't in that system, and you can see something elsewhere that would have helped. If you have any ideas, feel free to post, and we'll try to figure this out. On a lighter note, in this level, Sally disappears under a bridge, and never returns the same.

Go! Go! Hypergrind Part 5: Haunted Night

Text Link

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

Ovues posted:

Should this game have removed the tricking system and tried to work something else in its place? Should it have expanded that system and added more events tailored to tricking?

From what I've seen, I enjoy the tricking system. It's kind of hard to say if this is the case or not, but I think the game could emphasize mixing tricks in with the cartoony effects. You seem to dominate the competition in the one events where getting points matter, and I'm not sure how much of that are tricks, cartoony effects, or a combination of the two.

I would also have a stronger race element to the races. Maybe instead of relying on luck, you have to race to specific effects and certain other effects cause an assigned detriment to your opponent.

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile

Mr. Highway posted:

From what I've seen, I enjoy the tricking system. It's kind of hard to say if this is the case or not, but I think the game could emphasize mixing tricks in with the cartoony effects. You seem to dominate the competition in the one events where getting points matter, and I'm not sure how much of that are tricks, cartoony effects, or a combination of the two.

I would also have a stronger race element to the races. Maybe instead of relying on luck, you have to race to specific effects and certain other effects cause an assigned detriment to your opponent.

I essentially agree. The tricking looks like it's a decently fleshed out way to show of each character's personality, but then it isn't useful enough in actually WINNING events. Same thing with the races. I guess it seems like an issue of focus, to me. The game doesn't quite focus on or explore the kinds of game modes that would make the best use out of the systems in place.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Another thing about the tricks is that you aren't able to do a character's special tricks unless you are using the default model and are completely appeal-free. This also means that you will end your combo when you hit the ground, and aren't really building towards getting appeals and getting your multiplier up, so there aren't many chances to show them off. How often, in a video, am I NOT deformed in some way? You don't want to waste time doing basic tricks in Race, Battle, Simon Says, or Minigame events, and you probably don't want to do it in 1-link appeal unless you're headed straight for an appeal to start a combo with. That leaves you with one event where you can actually play around with them and see what they are. Sure, you could go into freeplay, but it'd still be nice to use those tricks somewhere in Story Mode.

Speaking of Story Mode, let's hop over to probably the second-best level so far (first best if u don't like da boobees). This level takes place in a Factory, and there is absolutely no shortage of appeals to chain together. It's well-laid out, it's fun, and it provides just enough appeals that you can use the whole place to your advantage.

Go! Go! Hypergrind Part 6: Factory

Text Link

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Apologies for not posting much, but while I'm still enjoying these videos, I can kind of see the repetition coming in. I think it would have helped the game to add in one or two events where there was more emphasis on tricking, or at least penalizing you for using those negative reactions. Or maybe slightly tweak the mechanics so that tricking would increase your multiplier, while the appeals would only increase your base score, which would definitely make tricks more useful for that 1 link-appeal event.

As for how to make battle events more manageable and less frustrating, I was originally thinking that event would have worked better if it was a free-for-all event, but then the player might break the system by waiting the chaos out till there's only one or two NPCs left with low health to go and finish them off. Then again, later levels have less opponents in general, so maybe that would have worked out better?

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Daigerus posted:

As for how to make battle events more manageable and less frustrating, I was originally thinking that event would have worked better if it was a free-for-all event, but then the player might break the system by waiting the chaos out till there's only one or two NPCs left with low health to go and finish them off. Then again, later levels have less opponents in general, so maybe that would have worked out better?

So it would be more like the old Twisted Metal games (and the most recent one, to a lesser extent)? Yeah, I think that would probably be cool... But it would really depend on how the AI was worked. In TM the AI doesn't seem to prioritize threats at all, unless you count the easy modes having the enemies ignore you slightly when your health falls below a certain threshold. It's a pretty fine line, and it really depends on how the mechanics work into the game.

Thinking more about the battle events compared to the rest of the game, does it seem weird to anyone else that there's no way to get your health back? Could that be a place that you could work tricks in?

Could the whole battle system be reworked so it was more trick and appeal-oriented instead of luck based? Maybe 10 points of health, tricking actually attacks the enemy and appeals recover health? On the other hand, the race events and the battle events would become pretty similar, but I'm not sure I like the race events either.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
This is pretty delayed but I've been slowly catching up to your output. I have to say, I'm not sure if I'm more surprised at you actually seeing that post on GameFAQs or that you actually said my username correctly. I've heard all sorts of different pronunciations.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Houle posted:

This is pretty delayed but I've been slowly catching up to your output. I have to say, I'm not sure if I'm more surprised at you actually seeing that post on GameFAQs or that you actually said my username correctly. I've heard all sorts of different pronunciations.

I... I forgot that you're in this thread sometimes

The gamefaqs result didn't show up before, for any of the other times I looked. Is anyone really wanting me to write anything or explain anything for any of the games I've played? Because if I watch the videos, I could probably remember how to do almost everything I did.

I hope you enjoyed the Kelly Slater LP, Houle. It turns out that even my fear of the ocean could be stripped away and replaced with abject confusion.

On the Go Go Hypergrind side, my micro-managing problem has once again reared its ugly head. Not in a bad way, per se, but I was trying my hardest to get as many points as possible in the beginning so that there would be as little chance as possible of me falling behind and losing before the end. Well, as it turns out, I may have had too strong a start, and I can actually quit the game now and still win.

Bonus 1: Let's Win Go! Go! Hypergrind (After 5 levels)

Text Link

But what's the fun in that? These last few levels all have ridiculous things happen in them that should really be seen, including both the actual levels' set pieces and the AI's new found hatred of me. That's why we're still trucking along, though I can play a bit more leniently if things really don't go my way. And in this next video, I get taken down one or two pegs. We also finally get another cutscene, and it is sure to blow your socks off.

Go! Go! Hypergrind Part 7: Jungle

Text Link

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I did enjoy it! I just have been playing catch up since I was in Mexico for a month. I was a little surprised when I saw you get over your fear of the Ocean. The game is a little more involved than I had thought.

As for writing a FAQ, not really, I don't even think that would be a great use of your time seeing as how it's a game that will only be played due to watching you play it so generally the way to finish said game is to watch and repeat.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Houle posted:

I did enjoy it! I just have been playing catch up since I was in Mexico for a month. I was a little surprised when I saw you get over your fear of the Ocean. The game is a little more involved than I had thought.

As for writing a FAQ, not really, I don't even think that would be a great use of your time seeing as how it's a game that will only be played due to watching you play it so generally the way to finish said game is to watch and repeat.

Jet X20 is one of the few games in this thread that I would strongly recommend you buy and play yourself. :colbert:

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Today, we're going to the set of the mysterious Asian country "Jipang". Here, we have to watch out for Samurai robots out for our heads, and we better make sure not to get caught in those big mechanical gears.

Go! Go! Hypergrind Part 8: Ninja Village

Text Link

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Ovues- have you played Trickstyle for the Sega Dreamcast?

I had it back when I was in high school and was conflicted about it, given that my other Extreme Sports game at the time was SSX Tricky, with which nothing has yet competed for sheer fun factor, and Trickstyle always felt a bit... stiffer, for lack of a better word.

Your Jet X20 videos reminded me of it for some reason (I too am only now catching up with your videos... when the alternative is a 50 minute Beyond Two Souls video, Dave Mirra BMX 2 looks oddly appealing).

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Kytrarewn posted:

Ovues- have you played Trickstyle for the Sega Dreamcast?

I had it back when I was in high school and was conflicted about it, given that my other Extreme Sports game at the time was SSX Tricky, with which nothing has yet competed for sheer fun factor, and Trickstyle always felt a bit... stiffer, for lack of a better word.

Your Jet X20 videos reminded me of it for some reason (I too am only now catching up with your videos... when the alternative is a 50 minute Beyond Two Souls video, Dave Mirra BMX 2 looks oddly appealing).

Counterpoint: When presented with 15 minutes of Dave Mirra 2, almost anything else is oddly appealing. I hope you like the series! All the early games were ones where I really wanted to be all in-depth and super serious in them. The games and the videos start to take off more around the time of Jonny Moseley, and I'm not sure we've come down since. I mean, look at GGH.

I have not played Trickstyle, since I didn't own a Dreamcast, but I have heard of the game before and I have seen gameplay of it. It does look like a very strange and interesting game, and I see how JetX20 reminded you of it.

Now, speaking of Hypergrind, it is time for us to jump to the last level. It is time for us to push on through to the final stage of the game, and see what lies beyond it for dear little Sally, who has technically been winning this event since level 5. And though, in the video, we make some jokes about you all going around the world through these games, we are serious about a few things.

This whole series has been a great ride, and it will continue being a great ride. Some of the people posting on page 1, while I stumbled through Sean Palmer being boring as gently caress, are still posting now. We've picked up many people along the way, and some of them are even in the commentator group now - including one who will be debuting in the videos soon. Others just continue to post their reactions and observations to these strange, strange lands that the thread finds itself falling into.

We've also lost a few people along the way. Some who haven't posted in 20 pages, or some who only posted once. Thornbrain defriended me on Skype because I just couldn't stop messaging him, and Nigurrath made, like, a single post before slinking out into the night. But it's cool. It's cool.

This LP is maybe one of the more niche LPs in the subforum. There are some things that I still don't have. Perfect quality on my capture card. Skill. Charisma. But you don't care by this point. This thread's gonna keep rolling, like the wheels on Sally's skateboard. The photoshops. The great posts. The speculation. We haven't even HIT the plot block, where three games in a row are going to astound you with their great plots. There's still more.

And so with this, we reach the last level of Go! Go! Hypergrind. After that, the ending will be in its own video, I'll be showing off the other characters, and then of course we got a retsupurae. And the next game will hit you... like an Avalanche.

Go! Go! Hypergrind Part 9: Hong Kong Night

Text Link

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
It's kind of funny you didn't know where the Pinch Appeal was for that last stage, because you start out in the same room with it - it's the doors leading into the kitchen, which you did once a couple of minutes in the video beforehand. I kind of remembered because I found it noteworthy that particular Appeal gave Sally a frying wok on her head and I think I was curious on what kind of Appeal that was and saw that it was Pinch. Case closed! :dance:

Also, dream sequences should be done more frequently! Really enjoyed it.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Daigerus posted:

It's kind of funny you didn't know where the Pinch Appeal was for that last stage, because you start out in the same room with it - it's the doors leading into the kitchen, which you did once a couple of minutes in the video beforehand. I kind of remembered because I found it noteworthy that particular Appeal gave Sally a frying wok on her head and I think I was curious on what kind of Appeal that was and saw that it was Pinch. Case closed! :dance:

Also, dream sequences should be done more frequently! Really enjoyed it.

But doors are always flatten... except the one time where they aren't...

Thanks for mentioning that. One one hand, it didn't really hurt me in any way. On the other hand, I look like an idiot. I'll add an annotation in case anyone ever watches these videos because they're struggling to pass enough events to win the game.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
If I'm seeing things correctly (which I may not be) doors that swing back and forth are flatten like you say, but openings that you go into for a moment are pinch. Since some of those opening have doors as part of their textures I can certainly see where the confusion comes from.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Golden_Zucchini posted:

If I'm seeing things correctly (which I may not be) doors that swing back and forth are flatten like you say, but openings that you go into for a moment are pinch. Since some of those opening have doors as part of their textures I can certainly see where the confusion comes from.

Yeah, I may be oversimplifying and trying to cover myself from harm. Even back in level 1, there was a chef's stand or something where you went inside, a door closed, and you came outside with knives sticking into your butt. Doors that do flatten will always shoot you right back out, while areas that 'trap' you in them for a bit, like the creepy bridge underpass in Haunted Night and the back room of the Chinese Restaurant, are Pinches

Basically, I forgot that appeal was a pinch and I forgot it existed. There. I said it! And my whole speech was about IGNORING my bad gameplay! Please, guys, please.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Ovues posted:

Basically, I forgot that appeal was a pinch and I forgot it existed. There. I said it! And my whole speech was about IGNORING my bad gameplay! Please, guys, please.

Sorry, didn't mean to make fun of you on that. I'm still loving this long-running LP you got going on, and it's always fun whenever you try new, unexpected stuff like that dream sequence and bringing in new commentators. Maybe it's just me, but bringing in Tinker was like a stroke of genius that injected a lot of fun into your guys' commentary, but that's just my two cents.

You don't have access to a Kinect, right? Would have been neat to see you do Adrenaline Misfits - it's got like the cartoony aesthetic character designs of Hypergrind, but the bland, generic environment/gameplay designs of most "extreme" sport games, based on what few videos I could find of it.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Daigerus posted:

Sorry, didn't mean to make fun of you on that. I'm still loving this long-running LP you got going on, and it's always fun whenever you try new, unexpected stuff like that dream sequence and bringing in new commentators. Maybe it's just me, but bringing in Tinker was like a stroke of genius that injected a lot of fun into your guys' commentary, but that's just my two cents.

You don't have access to a Kinect, right? Would have been neat to see you do Adrenaline Misfits - it's got like the cartoony aesthetic character designs of Hypergrind, but the bland, generic environment/gameplay designs of most "extreme" sport games, based on what few videos I could find of it.

We've got an Eyetoy for the PS2, but we don't have a Kinect. And since we live in the most dimly-lit apartment this side of a mole hill, it's unlikely that we could even get the thing to work. I looked up Adrenaline Misfits, and yeah, that seems like a very, very run-of-the-mill RADICAL game. With some EXTREME characters and EXTREME tricks. I have at least one Xbox 360 game that I want to play for this, so if we could get a Kinect and the games without spending too much, maybe I could give it a try.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Let's finish this up with a bang as Sally takes home the ultimate prize. And no, it's not just a gold trophy - she stole our hearts along the way. Right, guys?

Go! Go! Hypergrind Part 10: Ending

Text Link

Well, what did you guys think about the game? Should it have gotten more widespread appeal? Or did its little quirky niche carry it as far as it should have? If you want to see for yourself, I'd recommend picking up this game and giving it a try. You might even be able to do what I wasn't able to do, and pick a character with actual upsides and downsides! Speaking of characters, the bonus video is going to show off a little more about each one, and so you'll see even more of the personality that was put into this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Maybe if they ported it to the playstation2 or Xbox more people would have been aware of its existance and played it. It looks like a decent game for its flaws but I think a more Tony-Halk-like aproach instead may have carried it further if they could have pulled it off.

• Locked thread