Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Maduo posted:

I liked NDT pointing at the unlabeled hall of extinction and going "Uh yeah about that, we'll fuckin get to that don't you worry." His version of the "Who Speaks for Earth?" episode ought to be one to watch.

That was my favorite part of the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Kinda wish there was a real Hall of Extinction somewhere.
Especially to memorialize the animals we had a direct hand in extinguishing.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That was a pretty nice summary of evolution though it won't make the "I'm not a monkey! :bahgawd:" people change their minds.

Also here's a pretty nice (albeit old) summary of how an eye can develop from something simple into something complex. It's Dawkins but it's Dawkins in evolutionary biologist mode so it's safe.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

bathroom sounds posted:

There is, its called any Museum of Natural History :v:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

That was a pretty nice summary of evolution though it won't make the "I'm not a monkey! :bahgawd:" people change their minds.

Some kind of transplant will fix that right up. Could I suggest some fine golden retriever brains? They're just as smart but a lot more pleasant to be around.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

I'd be surprised if there were very many of them watching in the first place. Other than the few of them cherry picking quotes for their "checkmate, atheists!" blogs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bathroom sounds posted:

A Wooly Mammoth, a Passenger pigeon, and thousands of frogs.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

smg77 posted:

I'd be surprised if there were very many of them watching in the first place. Other than the few of them cherry picking quotes for their "checkmate, atheists!" blogs.
A fair point, but still. If there were any on the verge and decided to catch it last night, now they will also think "I'm not a mushroom! :bahgawd:"

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Those types of people wouldn't be convinced by anything short of God coming to them and explaining evolution is real anyway.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Stare-Out posted:

A fair point, but still. If there were any on the verge and decided to catch it last night, now they will also think "I'm not a mushroom! :bahgawd:"

But he's such a fun guy.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Beeez posted:

Those types of people wouldn't be convinced by anything short of God coming to them and explaining evolution is real anyway.

And even then, they'd probably decide it was just satan trying to tempt them by impersonating god.

SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares
Watching just so you can smugly say "ha, now what are you going to say, stupid creationists?" Is just just as bad as creationists nitpicking facts to argue. The only people I see making a show about science and the universe instead just a tool for argumentation are people in this thread. I have yet to hear a peep from the other side.

Just stop actively looking for a fight and just let the show be about what it's talking about. If you keep pointing at it as a way to shut Christians up, you're just pushing away the people who need to see it anyways.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
This show is like the Magic School Bus for adults. When he was flying through the bear's heart I was all "whoa!" and when he was on Titan I was all "this is sweet!" and when the fish hit the bear in the face I was all "hahaha"

Where was the cat love though, NEIL :mad:

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

The show is to inspire a new generation to question the world and look on it in wonder so they may grow up with stars in their eyes and an idea to pursue. People who firmly believe science to be the devil's work are lost causes and won't be convinced otherwise, be it by infallible logic and evidence or literal divine intervention. But maybe their offspring will have a glimpse of this show and begin to see through their parents' indoctrination.

Whether or not you believe god did it isn't something that should be argued about. What should be argued is why people would stop questioning at god did it. So what if he did it? How did he do it? How does it work? Why does it work? Etc etc

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Does anyone have a high res screen of the animated dogs section? I smells a new desktop wallpaper!

also, loved this episode.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

SaxMaverick posted:

Watching just so you can smugly say "ha, now what are you going to say, stupid creationists?" Is just just as bad as creationists nitpicking facts to argue. The only people I see making a show about science and the universe instead just a tool for argumentation are people in this thread. I have yet to hear a peep from the other side.

Just stop actively looking for a fight and just let the show be about what it's talking about. If you keep pointing at it as a way to shut Christians up, you're just pushing away the people who need to see it anyways.

To be honest I don't think the people that would be offended by goons mocking their creationist beliefs would be visiting this thread in the first place.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mikemil828 posted:

To be honest I don't think the people that would be offended by goons mocking their creationist beliefs would be visiting this thread in the first place.

"Criticizing this show? What are you, some king of creationist? :smug:"

SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares

mikemil828 posted:

It can be obnoxious without being offensive :v:

Hell, I like the discussion about what the show got wrong more than anything, and for once, I have a little bit of expertise on the subject matter. For example, the visual of DNA helicase/polymerase was was a vast oversimplification, it was still pretty cool. Also gave me the excuse to use the "unzipping your genes :quagmire: " joke on the wife for the hundredth time

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My favorite part was when they have you focusing on fish eye view and then suddenly "Ah holy poo poo I just got eaten!"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

bathroom sounds posted:

I've been to zoos that have something very much like this. The one closest to me has an extinction graveyard with headstones representing centuries and listing many species that went extinct during each one.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Macaluso posted:

Where was the cat love though, NEIL :mad:

Cats are still assholes, they've never actually been domesticated :colbert:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Cat breeds don't make good examples of evolution because all cats are basically the same. Their fur is a different color or length, their facial features are slightly different, their temperament varies a bit, but they're all more or less interchangeable.

As opposed to dogs who have an enormous range of sizes, weights, builds and facial structures, fur forms and textures, personalities, instinctual behaviors, and so on. Claiming that a Siamese and a Maine Coone both descended from a wildcat (which also just looks like a generic house cat) is far less impressive than pointing out that schnauzers and saint bernards and chihuahuas and retrievers and greyhounds all used to be wolves.

I can't even imagine trying to keep a 120-pound house cat as a pet. You wouldn't have any apartment or flesh left.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 17, 2014

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

greatn posted:

My favorite part was when they have you focusing on fish eye view and then suddenly "Ah holy poo poo I just got eaten!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-4Bqj6mWws&t=10s

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Neil has a space machine that allows him to go to all the coolest places, why would he hang out with some stupid cats??

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Also, he wouldn't be able to say anything about how domestication was mutually beneficial to both species. Cats are just moochers. :colbert:

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
FB friend from high school: "We're watching The first episode of Cosmos. They're talking about the origins of life on earth. The host says "we still don't know how life evolved".
Um....the answer is God. That's how."

Her friend: " The host must be an idiot!!!"

Another friend of hers: "It's a hard message to get across, and if you say it, you get labeled a religious nutcase, so label me!"

Yet Another: "But I believe have to say that it's so much better to believe in a living, sovereign God, that knows my thoughts, and understands who I am. The author and finisher of my faith = THE MOST HIGH!"

Goddammit. I had to say something, and tried to steer it towards "You can look at this show as a way to learn about the intricacies of God's creation" but the only response I got was "Well it's all just theories!"

That said, I'm really enjoying this show and marveling at the budget it got.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

haveblue posted:

I can't even imagine trying to keep a 120-pound house cat as a pet. You wouldn't have any apartment or flesh left.

Clearly you need to learn about keeping a Serval around the house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd0zqD3FYlA

Well, I guess they're only 30 pounds or so. Still sort of terrifying. Apparently some of the biggest problems is that they don't potty-train well and they have a like 10 foot vertical leap so no counter or bookcase is safe.

There's been some interesting stuff about cat's domestication floating around recently -- this article and this one come to mind. Cats didn't domesticate quite as much as dogs because they didn't need to -- dogs hang around the fire and chew on leftover bones in close proximity to people, cats just live out in the barn and eat vermin all day so they don't give a poo poo about what we're doing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I suppose it depends on the breed. That Maine Coone(sp?) of my neighbor is dumber and more trusting than a labrador.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
That last episode was simply amazing.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
Wauw, what a great episode. Being an old gently caress of 29 years I don't expect to learn anything new from such a show, and I don't, but boy was I happy about how well, focused and relatively thorough evolution was explained.

Looking forward to the next episode.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Its very easy to conceptualize things like "this sort of bear turned a different color over time because it can hunt better" or "this kind of cat developed big ears because they can hear better." It's very hard to grasp the big ones things like the lens in your eye. So you have one sort of animal with no lens, then some sort of...flap or something turns up eventually and provides more positives than negatives, until such time that it actively assists in sharper vision. But there's something in my head that's like "so what was that half-assed lens doing between 'weird extra piece' and 'useful extra piece?'"

Then there's that whole speciation thing that no one will ever be able to make sense of to me.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Sash! posted:

But there's something in my head that's like "so what was that half-assed lens doing between 'weird extra piece' and 'useful extra piece?'"

Then there's that whole speciation thing that no one will ever be able to make sense of to me.

It's still useful before it becomes the full bore lens we have now.

What exactly confuses you about speciation? That sounds like a much more fun conversation to have then the one we had after the last episode!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sash! posted:

Its very easy to conceptualize things like "this sort of bear turned a different color over time because it can hunt better" or "this kind of cat developed big ears because they can hear better." It's very hard to grasp the big ones things like the lens in your eye. So you have one sort of animal with no lens, then some sort of...flap or something turns up eventually and provides more positives than negatives, until such time that it actively assists in sharper vision. But there's something in my head that's like "so what was that half-assed lens doing between 'weird extra piece' and 'useful extra piece?'"

Doing a half-assed job of focusing light.

That was one of the points of the split-screen segment- an eye with a half-formed blob is still better than an eye with no lens at all. It's not *good* eyesight, but it only has to be marginally better than the other guy to confer a survival and reproduction advantage over the timescales he was talking about.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I watched this with a friend (not a creationist, but he's just not into science stuff at all), and he asked me "so, can humans evolve right now?" He had this vision in his head of someone being born that could, say, see infrared light or something, and then eventually all humans would have nightvision thanks to that guy's mutation. I said that it's a very gradual process and any genetic advantage someone might be born with would probably be imperceptible between just one generation.

That got me thinking about evolution that has occurred in humans that we have record of. The obvious one is the average height of humans has been increasing over the years. Is this because taller people are more sexually attractive and more likely to reproduce?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
A lot of that is also related to diet.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Dark One posted:

A lot of that is also related to diet.

Yep, iirc the first agriculture heavy groups were shorter than the hunter gatherers that preceded them because they ate a lot less meat.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A better example of a diet-based adaptation- not being lactose intolerance. It is believed that the ability to continue drinking milk into adulthood developed in tandem with the domestication of the cow, and to this day certain races are far more likely to have it than others.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

wa27 posted:

That got me thinking about evolution that has occurred in humans that we have record of.
If you can digest cow's milk, then you have a (relatively) new mutation!

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Let's not overlook the fact that non-black humans are a pretty recent evolutionary adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Don't we have a bunch of useless poo poo leftover from previous species we evolved from? The appendix, tailbone, etc.

• Locked thread