Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

NotAnArtist posted:

I looked at a cursory level in the descriptions but I can't see what is causing the increases, I'm afraid. All I know is it's there.

That must have been extremely cursory, because the hex guy's hood has "Effect: Increases number of casts" in its own paragraph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

He got the Royal Soldier armor and the Knight armor, and I keep buying useless poo poo I don't want from him with the hopes he will upgrade. Does he only do it the once?

Will the hag sell the Moonlight Greatsword guy's armor?

I don't know for sure, but most likely, yes. You can buy their weapons too, but FYI I don't think that's actually the moonlight greatsword. The explorer in Iron Keep says he believes that blue sword is a fake.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Can you get the Dragonrider armor?

I'm not that fair but I'm a lot less happy with the armor design this time around.

There are definitely some standout pieces (Nahr Alma robe with spider legs on the back, Warlock Mask - a bedazzled gazelle skull with seven antlers - the chest armor from the samurai commander guys in Iron Keep to name a few) but overall I agree, DS1 had more memorable outfits, like Big Hat Logan, the Darkwraith set, onion knight, etc.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 17, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

He got the Royal Soldier armor and the Knight armor, and I keep buying useless poo poo I don't want from him with the hopes he will upgrade. Does he only do it the once?

Will the hag sell the Moonlight Greatsword guy's armor?

He will sell the Alva set as well once you buy some things, which is a pretty cool set.

Drangelic armor is really amazing and looks pretty pimp. Its available early game hidden behind the Pursuer in Forest of fallen giants.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Not quite sure what triggered it but the miracle trainer in majula's tower will give you a chime and the Saint's outfit.
It probably has to do with a faith requirement.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I'm in the lost bastille after using the long route but still haven't been invaded. PS3 says I have NAT type 2 and I put it on the DMZ for my router but summoning/being summoned isn't very reliable.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

A.C. posted:

There are definitely some standout pieces (Nahr Alma robe with spider legs on the back, Warlock Mask - a bedazzled gazelle skull with seven antlers - the chest armor from the samurai commander guys in Iron Keep to name a few) but overall I agree, DS1 had more memorable outfits, like Big Hat Logan, the Darkwraith set, etc.

I think it's more that DS2 just has more outfits overall. A lot of the really cool DS1 outfits were hard to find (I didn't even know about the merchant under the bridge for a long time), so I wouldn't be surprised if we see more people wearing cool sets when we get a few months in. I personally like that there are a lot of knight armor sets since the previous games only had a few of them.

NotAnArtist posted:

Not quite sure what triggered it but the miracle trainer in majula's tower will give you a chime and the Saint's outfit.

She did that right after I met her and bought some spells. You might just need to buy enough stuff from her. I had a lot of faith by the time I met her, though.

Stele007 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 17, 2014

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

A.C. posted:

There are definitely some standout pieces (Nahr Alma robe with spider legs on the back, Warlock Mask - a bedazzled gazelle skull with seven antlers - the chest armor from the samurai commander guys in Iron Keep to name a few) but overall I agree, DS1 had more memorable outfits, like Big Hat Logan, the Darkwraith set, onion knight, etc.

Darkwraith set is still in this one. But yeah the original sets in this one arent up to par to dks1.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
Is anyone else finding that random public people absolutely suck at this game? It seems like half the people who summon me can't even keep their goddamn shields up. I'm wondering if a bunch of people bought Dark Souls 2 didn't play the first two games.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

NotAnArtist posted:

What tower? Do you mean the Miracle lady from Heide's ToF? If so, I'm not sure, I have a 22 Fth which is pretty respectable and she still hasn't given my anything.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

Carecat posted:

I'm in the lost bastille after using the long route but still haven't been invaded. PS3 says I have NAT type 2 and I put it on the DMZ for my router but summoning/being summoned isn't very reliable.

What is your SL? I've had issues connecting to anyone at the fog gate but it was easy to get hits at the blacksmiths bonfire

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

StringOfLetters posted:

That must have been extremely cursory, because the hex guy's hood has "Effect: Increases number of casts" in its own paragraph.

:ms:

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
So hey, how stupid of an idea was it to start out as Deprived in this? Because I totally did! Game is hard.

Any general leveling tips? So far I've just leveled up to 9 strenght so I can one-hand whatever crappy sword it is that I found, and then I went for 9 adaptibility since that's supposedly a kind of important stat or something?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Mr. Kurtz posted:

Is anyone else finding that random public people absolutely suck at this game? It seems like half the people who summon me can't even keep their goddamn shields up. I'm wondering if a bunch of people bought Dark Souls 2 didn't play the first two games.

You're absolutely correct. The only reason they bought this was because "IT'S SO HARD xD" instead of appreciating the different type of gameplay, atmosphere, in-depth lore, and aesthetics.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

Darkwraith set is still in this one. But yeah the original sets in this one arent up to par to dks1.

Does this have glowing red eyes? I got invaded by a blue phantom that had a hood that looked a lot like it, but his eyes were glowing with red fire. It was neat

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't know why you're mad about this other than feeling silly. Its great game design.

Oh, I'm by no means mad that Smelter Demon is optional. I just feel silly. Maybe that smiley seemed too mean-spirited! ^^

Of course you're right, it's great design. I can definitely appreciate it. But I think it's understandable that you feel like the game played a trick on you when you don't even progress after the fight. Getting a bonfire is nice (and I'm sure I'd hate not having it), but still... Would've been nice to know that fight is optional BEFORE entering that boss fog door.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

NotAnArtist posted:

Beat the smelter at lvl108. Twelve or so attempts, first time I pulled him to less than 10% health and got greedy, leading to the next umpteen.

I keep overleveling myself, keeps me from being summoned as often as I'd like.

FYI I was there at level 82 last night and summon signs were disappearing faster than I could activate them. There were like 0-3 appearing each 'refresh'
there is a noise that plays when the summon signs disappear and get refreshed, by the way
and if I wasn't standing directly on one as it appeared, it was gone before I could get to it.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.

verybad posted:

So hey, how stupid of an idea was it to start out as Deprived in this? Because I totally did! Game is hard.

Any general leveling tips? So far I've just leveled up to 9 strenght so I can one-hand whatever crappy sword it is that I found, and then I went for 9 adaptibility since that's supposedly a kind of important stat or something?

The way I usually power level is assist with bosses over and over again. Assisting with the first boss will net you like 5,000 souls per try.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I don't understand how, but I progressed through the second half of the game about 10 levels higher than I should've been. I didn't farm souls a single time, and only spent one boss soul in the very beginning (The Last Giant) because the difficulty in the beginning of the game is tuned really lovely. I think I beat the game at level ~135. Felt really weird, considering most of my Dark Souls 1 playthroughs were completed between 60 and 70.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Wait wait wait

Where do I learn the 'come at me, bro' gesture?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

enojy posted:

I don't understand how, but I progressed through the second half of the game about 10 levels higher than I should be. I didn't farm souls a single time, and only spent one boss soul in the very beginning (The Last Giant) because the difficulty in the beginning of the game is tuned really lovely. I think I beat the game at level ~135. Felt really weird, considering most of my Dark Souls 1 playthroughs were completed between 60 and 70.

If you're thinking you were too high because you weren't seeing many summons, it's because you were too low. 150-160ish seems to be the most active end-game level range. Levels are cheaper in this game and there are more stats, so people are going to want more points.

I'm willing to bet you could safely go to 200 in NG and still get occasional summons. You can get summoned at ~120 sometimes at, like, Lost Sinner of all fights.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 17, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

NotAnArtist posted:

Wait wait wait

Not here anymore, as far as I know there's only "Welcome!".

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Boxn posted:

Not here anymore, as far as I know there's only "Welcome!".

I swear I just saw someone sort of shrug their shoulders and rock side to side kind of. Only caught the tail end as we were despawning after the bos fight though, I could be wrong.

Edit:since I don't have a 'welcome' that's probably it, Boxn.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Does anyone know where you get those stones that you throw on the ground that make noises like "I am sorry", and "Hello"?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

NotAnArtist posted:

Wait wait wait

Saulden the Crestfallen Warrior teaches 'Welcome', which is basically 'Well! What is it?' 2.0.

UberJumper posted:

Does anyone know where you get those stones that you throw on the ground that make noises like "I am sorry", and "Hello"?

A merchant early in the Iron Keep sells them.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

NotAnArtist posted:

I swear I just saw someone sort of shrug their shoulders and rock side to side kind of. Only caught the tail end as we were despawning after the bos fight though, I could be wrong.

Oh, that's Mock - I forgot where I got it actually, I think it's past Earthen Peak? Staid gives it to you.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

NotAnArtist posted:

That might be "Mock" which is basically a dead stare and a shoulder shrug. Straid teaches it.

UberJumper posted:

Merchant near the first bonfire in Iron Keep

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I'm also a bit over leveled and don't see much in the way of summons. I don't know what else to do with these souls though!

I'm not neglecting my gear or anything. Level 82. I'm in what I perceive to be mid game. Just killed Covetus Demon, recently downed Skeleton Lords and the Chariot. Only have one of the big 4 souls

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

verybad posted:

Get the small soap stone sign and just co-op for a bit for some souls and the lucky life gem drops really help. consider using/looking for the Heide sword or fire sword or just use the mace it's so godly in the opening few levels. I'd consider using one of the swords if you plan on casting as they scale with those stats. the only reason you're having trouble is because you're reach sucks and you don't know how to back-stab/backstabbing is really hard when you don't have all that invincibility.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

Saulden the Crestfallen Warrior teaches 'Welcome', which is basically 'Well! What is it?' 2.0.

Last I'll poo poo up the thread on this, but all saulden wants is for me to join his covenant. I suppose I have to join, learn and leave?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Carecat posted:

I think most people are too busy exploring and fighting bosses to invade right now, so that's part of it. I'm getting nonstop consistent summons and messages, even some red soapstones, but not many invasions. (Works for me!) If you really want invasions, just go into either rat den or either belfry and you'll get invaded all the time.

Mr. Kurtz posted:

If those people really suck, they should be stuck in the earlier parts of the game. Just push through and summon later on and then people will know what they're doing.

I found that around huntsman's copse everybody I was summoning knew what they were doing.

If you want, you can try using gestures, and if the person doesn't know how to use gestures back, you can kick them out using the black separation soapstone :haw: That's a decent newbie test.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Timett posted:

I'm also a bit over leveled and don't see much in the way of summons. I don't know what else to do with these souls though!

I'm not neglecting my gear or anything. Level 82. I'm in what I perceive to be mid game. Just killed Covetus Demon, recently downed Skeleton Lords and the Chariot. Only have one of the big 4 souls

Max yourself out on every infinite consumable sold by NPCs. They'll come in handy.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So there's a ring that you get by completing the game without ever resting at a bonfire

:stare:

(You can lit them which will have you respawn on them. You can repair and refill estus be dying or doing co-op. To level up you'd need to homeward bone to things and run to Majula).

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 17, 2014

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If you wear the white ring, and put down a red soapstone, does it show up as white to everyone else? that would be the best thing ever.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
What's up with all the old dudes in chairs? I've found like four. They all complain about the dark. Can I just kill them or what?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

So, the Looking Glass Knight. Does he actually summon players to the fight? And if so how do you get summoned? I got a whole two dudes out of him when I fought, and they were both differently equipped so either he varies it up or at least one of them was a player. Killed both instantly as they were summoned though, so I have no idea.

enojy posted:

I don't understand how, but I progressed through the second half of the game about 10 levels higher than I should've been. I didn't farm souls a single time, and only spent one boss soul in the very beginning (The Last Giant) because the difficulty in the beginning of the game is tuned really lovely. I think I beat the game at level ~135. Felt really weird, considering most of my Dark Souls 1 playthroughs were completed between 60 and 70.

This is not Dark Souls 1 and it's not Demon's Souls. There are more stats this time around. There are spells and equipment with way high requirements (65 faith for a miracle, anyone?). What I'm saying is don't compare your levels to Dark Souls, the level curve could be, and seems to be, completely different.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

NotAnArtist posted:

Last I'll poo poo up the thread on this, but all saulden wants is for me to join his covenant. I suppose I have to join, learn and leave?

I wouldn't say Welcome is "Well what is it 2.0" since you don't really approach them in a bothered manner, but it's more of a welcoming approach. Learn Mock. Yeah, do that. No harm in switching multiple covenants.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have like 35 str and now I want to start learning some magic. What stat should I go for (at level 81-82 now)?
My faith is 6 and my int is 7, IIRC. Attunement is also rear end, still 6. I aim for 12 attunement and then enough faith or int to have a decent magic weapon spell. Maybe aim for 15 in int or faith first? Which one should I pick?

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

verybad posted:

Adaptability is like the best defensive stat. Get it up to 15 or so ASAP, and you can roll through everyone's attacks with relative ease. Rolling is a lot more important in this game as you can't easily block everything like you could in Dark Souls. You don't get physical defense every time you level anymore, so if you want to be able to take hits, put points into Vit, End, Str, or Dex as they all increase physical defense every 4 points overall. There's no "bad" stats this game like Luck or Resistance, and you usually want to get some points into Vigor, Vitality, and Adaptability to survive. If you want to go caster, it's worth it to go both Int and Faith as you can get Dark magic that requires both, but you should focus on one of those first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

A.C. posted:

That might be "Mock" which is basically a dead stare and a shoulder shrug. Straid teaches it.

Merchant near the first bonfire in Iron Keep

There is a merchant in the iron keep :psyduck:

• Locked thread