Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

WoodrowSkillson posted:

What exactly confuses you about speciation? That sounds like a much more fun conversation to have then the one we had after the last episode!

More of a hard time wrapping my head around the species problem more than speciation, I guess. But I know I'm not unique in that matter. It's pretty hard to picture when you stop having Wolf and start having Dog because there's this innate desire to compress the timescale so that you have Wolf --> Wolf-Dog --> Dog. Like...at what point did you get an animal that can't breed back up the branch, so to speak. Is it a matter of a slow burn where you have animals less likely to produce fertile offspring?

My science is all space stuff, so biology baffles me beyond all comprehension. Not even making sense out of astrobiology. Decided to be a water and carbon chauvinist and called it a day.

DarkCrawler posted:

Don't we have a bunch of useless poo poo leftover from previous species we evolved from? The appendix, tailbone, etc.

I thought they recently determined the appendix did something. Also, the tailbone serves the vital role of having a hilarious bone to break, because coccyx is fun to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

DarkCrawler posted:

Don't we have a bunch of useless poo poo leftover from previous species we evolved from? The appendix, tailbone, etc.

We get goosebumps when freaked out because of a vestigial adrenal response which is supposed to cause all our fur to stand up.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

DarkCrawler posted:

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2010/06/22/the-laryngeal-nerve-of-the-gir/

the laryngeal nerve is the best example of this kind of stuff. In humans and other smaller animals, it does a short loops around the heart that is a little inefficient but whatever. In the giraffe its huge and unwieldy for no good reason other then it evolved from a creature with the normal nerve and had to make do with it, since a mutation that redoes it will also break the ability of it to work.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

DarkCrawler posted:

Here's NDT on the stupid design of the universe in general and humans in particular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4238NN8HMgQ

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

WoodrowSkillson posted:

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2010/06/22/the-laryngeal-nerve-of-the-gir/

the laryngeal nerve is the best example of this kind of stuff. In humans and other smaller animals, it does a short loops around the heart that is a little inefficient but whatever. In the giraffe its huge and unwieldy for no good reason other then it evolved from a creature with the normal nerve and had to make do with it, since a mutation that redoes it will also break the ability of it to work.

The dumbest design flaw in humans (and all animals really) is probably how the air duct and the food duct intersect.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Sash! posted:

More of a hard time wrapping my head around the species problem more than speciation, I guess. But I know I'm not unique in that matter. It's pretty hard to picture when you stop having Wolf and start having Dog because there's this innate desire to compress the timescale so that you have Wolf --> Wolf-Dog --> Dog. Like...at what point did you get an animal that can't breed back up the branch, so to speak. Is it a matter of a slow burn where you have animals less likely to produce fertile offspring?

My science is all space stuff, so biology baffles me beyond all comprehension. Not even making sense out of astrobiology. Decided to be a water and carbon chauvinist and called it a day.

I thought they recently determined the appendix did something. Also, the tailbone serves the vital role of having a hilarious bone to break, because coccyx is fun to say.
Dogs can still breed with wolves and have viable offspring. They are a separate species because outside of strange circumstances, they do not breed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_species
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/0_0_0/devitt_02

Ring Species are a great illustration of the blurred lines inherent in speciation. Even though they all share a ton of genes, eventually enough changes that they cannot interbreed. The same kind of thing happens over time instead of distance. Species can be a nebulous concept, and behavior can lead to speciation as much as anything else. There are plenty of cases of species living alongside one another that can produce viable offspring but do not because they have the wrong mating colors or whatever, so the species are separate.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Dogs can still breed with wolves and have viable offspring. They are a separate species because outside of strange circumstances, they do not breed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_species
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/0_0_0/devitt_02

Ring Species are a great illustration of the blurred lines inherent in speciation. Even though they all share a ton of genes, eventually enough changes that they cannot interbreed. The same kind of thing happens over time instead of distance. Species can be a nebulous concept, and behavior can lead to speciation as much as anything else. There are plenty of cases of species living alongside one another that can produce viable offspring but do not because they have the wrong mating colors or whatever, so the species are separate.

I knew dogs and wolves could interbreed, so the whole time I was typing it, I was trying to think of two closely related species that weren't preposterous like "octopus" and "kangaroo."

Is there anything that can breed outside of its genus? Or is genus a more clearly defined limit on breeding and less murky than species?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Atavistic, or old, "switched off" genes are pretty cool. We all have 'em from our ancestors. When you lose a genetic attribute (say, the tail) the gene for it doesn't just go away, but it gets switched off inside you so you don't grow one. Same with hair and certain other attributes.

Sometimes that doesn't work and the gene stays on so you get kids born with tails and wolfboys with fur and what have you. Now the cool thing about atavistic genes is that if you can figure out which one does what, you could go in during the developmental stage and switch it on. They've done this with certain animals, chickens being one of the more famous examples of atavistic gene tweaking in utero; since chickens evolved from dinosaurs, they have dinosaurian atavistic genes for, say, razor sharp teeth, claws, and tails. And now we've made chickens with teeth, tails and actual claws instead of wings. Chickenosaurus.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Sash! posted:

I think the first point you make is the whole argument creationists like to pick on. The missing link between x and x. You can show off a fossil that's an in between stage of say a bird and a dinosaur, but then you create two missing link stages between that and the dinosaur and that and the bird.

I believe the point has been made before that you can relate a fossil record of an evolution of species to a colour chart. The dinosaur is red, the bird is blue. There are many colors distinguishable in between, but at what point, when you look closer and scrutinize, does red become orange?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Stare-Out posted:

Sometimes that doesn't work and the gene stays on so you get kids born with tails and wolfboys with fur and what have you. Now the cool thing about atavistic genes is that if you can figure out which one does what, you could go in during the developmental stage and switch it on. They've done this with certain animals, chickens being one of the more famous examples of atavistic gene tweaking in utero; since chickens evolved from dinosaurs, they have dinosaurian atavistic genes for, say, razor sharp teeth, claws, and tails. And now we've made chickens with teeth, tails and actual claws instead of wings. Chickenosaurus.
Yep this is what Jack Horner wants to do. Jack Horner is completely insane, but drat it he helped consult Jurassic Park so he's okay in my book.

Sqeetschy
Mar 28, 2010
So, this episode made me look up how DNA evolved: I tried reading this and it was way too difficult for my layman's understanding of biology, but it was still fun to see just how complicated that issue is.
Love the show and will be tuning in next week for sure!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Yep this is what Jack Horner wants to do. Jack Horner is completely insane, but drat it he helped consult Jurassic Park so he's okay in my book.

He is nuts, but indeed his involvement in Jurassic Park scores him points and the guy is trying to bring back loving dinosaurs. That is cool as hell, crazy or no. His TED speech about the chickenosaurus sounds borderline frankensteinian but in an awesome way.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
This site has some good reactions about the liberal atheist propaganda of Cosmos.
http://aattp.org/right-wing-zealots-are-already-freaking-out-about-return-of-cosmos/

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Sqeetschy posted:

So, this episode made me look up how DNA evolved

I always found this idea fascinating:

DNA replication is imperfect, which is the basis for random mutations in evolution. However, its possible that DNA replication WAS perfect initially, but it was naturally selected out to bring out the benefits of evolution. Its so meta!

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

FateFree posted:

DNA replication is imperfect, which is the basis for random mutations in evolution. However, its possible that DNA replication WAS perfect initially, but it was naturally selected out to bring out the benefits of evolution. Its so meta!

That's not really plausible. Even engineered polymerases have an inherent error-rate. Biology is awesome, but it's not cut out for 6-sigma process efficiency

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
The broader point about the evolution of evolvability itself is a pretty hot topic, though. I don't know much about that area myself, but it's a cool idea that seems to get people fairly heated.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

The broader point about the evolution of evolvability itself is a pretty hot topic, though. I don't know much about that area myself, but it's a cool idea that seems to get people fairly heated.

Soon we will be determining the path of our own evolution in a precisely controlled manner, and this is incredible.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Sash! posted:

I knew dogs and wolves could interbreed, so the whole time I was typing it, I was trying to think of two closely related species that weren't preposterous like "octopus" and "kangaroo."

Is there anything that can breed outside of its genus? Or is genus a more clearly defined limit on breeding and less murky than species?

I think what you're looking for is when horse and a donkey breed to make a mule. Horses have 64 chromosomes, donkeys have 62 and mules end up with 63 chromosomes. The resulting chromosomes work well enough to keep the mule living during normal replication, but overwhelmingly are screwed up enough to prevent the creation of eggs or sperm that can properly combine with its counterpart to create a new viable being. Now, there have been cases of mules that can procreate, which further supports the point: in those rare cases, a mutation occurs which allows it to happen.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Are Tigons or Ligers also sterile, or are they all just cats?

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

Cat breeds don't make good examples of evolution because all cats are basically the same. Their fur is a different color or length, their facial features are slightly different, their temperament varies a bit, but they're all more or less interchangeable.

You're not kidding. I only recently found out about all the different hybrids. It's amazing to think that African and South American species can still cross with each other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felid_hybrid

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

AlliedBiscuit posted:

FB friend from high school: "We're watching The first episode of Cosmos. They're talking about the origins of life on earth. The host says "we still don't know how life evolved".
Um....the answer is God. That's how."

Her friend: " The host must be an idiot!!!"

Another friend of hers: "It's a hard message to get across, and if you say it, you get labeled a religious nutcase, so label me!"

Yet Another: "But I believe have to say that it's so much better to believe in a living, sovereign God, that knows my thoughts, and understands who I am. The author and finisher of my faith = THE MOST HIGH!"

Goddammit. I had to say something, and tried to steer it towards "You can look at this show as a way to learn about the intricacies of God's creation" but the only response I got was "Well it's all just theories!"

That said, I'm really enjoying this show and marveling at the budget it got.

Is it wrong that I feel a huge sense of despair, anger, and sadness all at once when reading that?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Maldoror posted:

Is it wrong that I feel a huge sense of despair, anger, and sadness all at once when reading that?

Nope. That only means you're still sane.

kant
May 12, 2003

Yaos posted:

This site has some good reactions about the liberal atheist propaganda of Cosmos.
http://aattp.org/right-wing-zealots-are-already-freaking-out-about-return-of-cosmos/

Thank you. This thread was seriously not delivering what I was hoping for.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
This last episode was fantastic. I'm really impressed by this show so far, and especially impressed that it's airing on Fox, of all places.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

kant posted:

Thank you. This thread was seriously not delivering what I was hoping for.

I was actually going to say the opposite! I've learned more from this thread than the actual show, and that's awesome.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

FateFree posted:

I think you might be interested in looking up theories like the 'RNA world' where the default is 'insane rates of evolution' and DNA taking over the inheritance properties of procreation is driven by the need for the stabilization of high inter-generational rates of change!

(the rna world hypothesis is also helpful because it is one of our best ways of explaining the existence of things like viroids, cellular reliance on rna as an intermediate for many things, even though rna itself can retain functions on its own, and also, the answer to your question of how nucleic-acid replication used to happen initially - i.e. autonomously)

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 18, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I had a thought about artificial selection... Isn't it very contrary to natural selection? Humans breed dogs for lots of dumb traits that actually hinder their survival chances, and keep them alive anyways in spite of the goals of natural selection. Dalmatians and pugs were bred for certain physical traits but have notorious health problems, but instead of weeding out the ones that would die left to their own devices, but we keep them alive

I'm just sad about it because my mom had a pug with loads of health problems...

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Yun posted:

I had a thought about artificial selection... Isn't it very contrary to natural selection? Humans breed dogs for lots of dumb traits that actually hinder their survival chances, and keep them alive anyways in spite of the goals of natural selection. Dalmatians and pugs were bred for certain physical traits but have notorious health problems, but instead of weeding out the ones that would die left to their own devices, but we keep them alive

I'm just sad about it because my mom had a pug with loads of health problems...

The BBC did a documentary called Pedigree Dogs Exposed that's worth looking up, it's all about that and it's incredibly heartbreaking. It turns out that when you breed based on the arbitrary physical traits of a breed standard you wind up with sick, deformed animals. Even healthy, working animals wind up bundles of cancer and dislocated hips over just 100 years or so.

Also while the episode was airing people mentioned Belyaev's silver fox experiments, which are the inverse of that: they artificially selected animals based purely on behavioral traits and it has wide-ranging effects on their physical appearance in just a few generations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jFGNQScRNY

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Could you imagine if aliens took us over and kept us as pets and started breeding us for arbitrary physical traits, what kind of horror show that would look like ? :psyduck:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Yun posted:

Could you imagine if aliens took us over and kept us as pets and started breeding us for arbitrary physical traits, what kind of horror show that would look like ? :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9SSyjM9CPw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dJCfzyxTEY

:v:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Steve Yun posted:

I'm having trouble finding the link, but I remember reading a few years ago on the BBC that human females have been selected for "arbitrary" physical traits over time, while men (who traditionally play a more functional role) have not. Anecdotally, you can kind of see it when you look at old photos and paintings. Heck, I remember seeing a contemporary bust of Cleopatra and thinking that history's grandest seductress looked plain...plain.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The most tell-tale evolutionary "feet" we humans are going through generation after generation right now is the further absence of the pinky toe.

We are losing the little piggy that goes "wee wee wee!" all the way home but science seems to not give a gently caress about it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Steve Yun posted:

I had a thought about artificial selection... Isn't it very contrary to natural selection?

It's contrary to survival in the wild, yes, but a purebred dog's environment isn't the wild. It's the human world, complete with reliable access to veterinary medicine, and the traits that lead to reproductive success are very different there. Having a flat face and trouble breathing and hosed up hips leads to the humans helping you to make more of yourself, so it's a viable strategy.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 18, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'm having trouble finding the link, but I remember reading a few years ago on the BBC that human females have been selected for "arbitrary" physical traits over time, while men (who traditionally play a more functional role) have not. Anecdotally, you can kind of see it when you look at old photos and paintings. Heck, I remember seeing a contemporary bust of Cleopatra and thinking that history's grandest seductress looked plain...plain.

A lot of people looked plain until like the 1920s though, it was probably more that a good diet is required to look (contemporarily) attractive.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Propaganda Machine posted:

You are using bad history. Cleopatra was, to contemporaries, known for not being that attractive physically. But, as Kissinger let us know, "power is super sexy." What she represented was much more attractive than any physical attributes. Historians made her out as a Helen 2.0 because that was the language of the time. Plus, suggesting that a women was desirable because of the power she represented really only had precedence with Gorgons. And what do you know? Critics compared her to those!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Evolution is the most fascinating thing. Endlessly fascinating. To me, it is on par with how something came from nothing. Find the answer to one, and you find the answer to both. Maybe.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Robnoxious posted:

The most tell-tale evolutionary "feet" we humans are going through generation after generation right now is the further absence of the pinky toe.

We are losing the little piggy that goes "wee wee wee!" all the way home but science seems to not give a gently caress about it.

I've read that this is a myth. The real issue is, there's no reason why we would be losing our pinky toe. There's no survival driver for it. Pinky or no pinky, someone in today's society is going to live a normal life either way. Evolution doesn't eliminate useless bits of us if there's no advantage to doing so.

If anything, I could see modern science and technology start to stagnate things a bit. I have severe congenital ptosis (drooping eyelids.) Without early surgery, my vision would have never developed normally and it would be extremely difficult for me to see anything because my eyes would be mostly closed. Hell, if I were born just 20 years earlier things would have turned out very different for me since the surgery I got as a toddler was cutting edge at the time. However, my ptosis now has no effect at all on my day to day life other than some minor eye irritation sometimes. 75 years ago and I probably would have been severely disabled. 500 years ago and I would have been effectively blind from birth which would probably negatively affect my chances of making it out of adolescence unless I was born into a wealthy family who could afford to take care of me full time. However, today, I'm free to pass that genetic defect on to my offspring where they will be even less affected by it due to further advances in science.

There's still some culling of the genetic tree going on due to very severe genetic disorders, but there's a whole bunch of them now that get a free pass to the next generation because we've worked around them. Survival depends less and less on our genetics now, it will only be through direct manipulation that humans will reverse this pace.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 18, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It's really the opposite of stagnation - because certain traits aren't culled, there can be more genetic diversity because more variation is allowed to exist.

Imagine all of the potential genetic diversity that would still be here if we hadn't had multiple events that wiped out 90% of all life on Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

computer parts posted:

It's really the opposite of stagnation - because certain traits aren't culled, there can be more genetic diversity because more variation is allowed to exist.

Imagine all of the potential genetic diversity that would still be here if we hadn't had multiple events that wiped out 90% of all life on Earth.

True, though I was thinking more along the lines of drastic changes down the line. We would have more minor genetic diversity, but no external driver to refine those traits (like the eye example) to something greater than the initial mutation.

For example, we have people today that can see a FAR greater range of color, but there exists very little environmental driver for that to become a more widespread trait. It's a neat conversation piece and a scientific curiosity, but not something that affects survivability.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 18, 2014

• Locked thread